Thread: Front hip pain

Juniemoonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Front hip pain

I am new to weightlifting and this forum as well...I've looked around the forum for hip pain while doing squats and I haven't found a situation like mine yet...

Unlike most other people, I have had hip pain while doing squats from the start. It isn't as if I had been doing squats for years and got injured and my hips have been hurting ever since - they have been hurting as I said since the beginning. The pain is on the front hips, especially on the right side. The first time I ever did squats was 3 or 4 years ago at a Velocity training gym. They would critique any movement that was out of place and worked with me to make sure I had the right form. If it makes a difference - I am extremely inflexible. I do stretch before but nothing seems to make the pain go away.

Has anyone experienced hip pain from the start? If so what did you do about it?

amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

psoas/hip flexors

i am a clinical licensed massage therapist in washington state, practicing 6+years.

i would say that if you were doing squats incorrectly and using quads too much, (your knees would go too far over yours toes in the down phase and exclude good glute engagement), where they attach to the front of your pelvic bone (near the parts that stick out in front) might be a strained tendon, as you'd use this quad (rectus femoris) to stand upright again...too much load.

but if you're doing squats correctly and engaging your glutes and hams on the way back up, they are going to pull your pelvis to your knees in the back (as opposed to the quads pulling pelvis to knees in the front) during the leg extension to neutral position. when this happens, if your psoas is too tight (which crosses over the front of your pelvis and connects your lumbar spine to the inside of your femur for flexon of the hip), it's not going to allow the leg to extend back to neutral position to be upright again... and feel strained. either case will give you front hip pain, but this one might also add lumbar back pain.

if you can be specific as to where exactly front hip pain is- like near where the front bones protrude, or on the side where the ball of your hip is, or something, then i can troubleshoot it better for you. as well as if you can tell me when it happens- during the down phase of the squat, or up phase of the squat.

glad that exact question from the state boards is FINALLY coming in handy...lol

good luck to you! email if you want- amgrassi79@gmail.com

-andrea

Originally Posted by Juniemoonie View Post
    I am new to weightlifting and this forum as well...I've looked around the forum for hip pain while doing squats and I haven't found a situation like mine yet...

Unlike most other people, I have had hip pain while doing squats from the start. It isn't as if I had been doing squats for years and got injured and my hips have been hurting ever since - they have been hurting as I said since the beginning. The pain is on the front hips, especially on the right side. The first time I ever did squats was 3 or 4 years ago at a Velocity training gym. They would critique any movement that was out of place and worked with me to make sure I had the right form. If it makes a difference - I am extremely inflexible. I do stretch before but nothing seems to make the pain go away.

Has anyone experienced hip pain from the start? If so what did you do about it?
    being uncomfortable is not exhaustion. being uncomfortable is your mind quitting before your body.

beast mode, on = post workout shakey kitten... and i LIKE it that way, dammit.

Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tight hip flexors.

amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgrassi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

lol

Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    Tight hip flexors.
    -what she said.
    being uncomfortable is not exhaustion. being uncomfortable is your mind quitting before your body.

beast mode, on = post workout shakey kitten... and i LIKE it that way, dammit.