msdowns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Should I be bulking or cutting?

First off, I am 38 yrs old, 5'3" and currently 155 lbs. I have worked out solidly for 7yrs, lifting hard and running. I am not sure as to what my bodyfat % is but if I had to guess, I'd say high 20s-low 30s. I have built a good muscle base and I say that only because that's what people tell me. Of course, my perception of myself is totally different than what other people see. If I had to describe my build, I would say more of the gymnast type because that's what I used to be. When I look in the mirror, I see all of the places that need improvement. I am aware on how to bulk and cut based on what I've read. The fat that is the most noticeable to me is on my back and inner thighs. My question is should I be bulking or cutting?

Registered User BrickShnitHouse's Avatar
    BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BrickShnitHouse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    when you are in the situation you are in at your current bodyfat levels you can do both. lose fat and gain muscle. eat often and healthy, find out your macros and eat slightly above that amount. the most important aspect is finding a lifting program and incorporating some light cardio.

just my opinion.

Originally Posted by BrickShnitHouse View Post
    when you are in the situation you are in at your current bodyfat levels you can do both. lose fat and gain muscle. eat often and healthy, find out your macros and eat slightly above that amount. the most important aspect is finding a lifting program and incorporating some light cardio.

just my opinion.
    Thank you for your input.

Solid at room temperature l3al3yJane's Avatar
    l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250) l3al3yJane has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My impression is that a cut would be better where you are right now, but that is just my opinion and depends on your goals. Are you trying to gain strength or just seeking a certain look? If you are eating at maintenance, weight isn't changing, you are stalled on some of your bigger lifts, AND hitting big numbers is important to you, then I would say to bulk. However, if you want to lean out in what you said were your problem areas, then a cut would be better.

From the mid-range of your BF estimate at 30%, you have about 46 lbs of fat and 108 lbs of LBM. That is a great number for lean mass, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable bulking and potentially adding more fat at that point. I don't feel like it is necessary to have BF much higher than that and that gets into a kind of "gray" area as far as healthfulness for your cardiovascular system and other organs. Not that I'm saying you aren't healthy since I don't know you, but I think as a general guideline most women feel better and have better markers for longevity at body fat levels that are in the mid twenties. And obviously part of this is for health, right?

Have you considered trying a less aggressive cut at 8-10% below maintenance calories for several months? That can often lead to decent fat loss, a minimum of muscle loss and lifts can still continue going up. Assuming a slow cut from 30% now, you could go down to about 144 and around 25% BF over 3-4 months and probably see a lot of improvement in your back and legs, plus, you wouldn't be dying of starvation, crashing on energy, or at risk for rebounding with weight gain because you lost too fast.

Good luck with either!
    "Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: now." -Denis Waitley

kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz kimm4 has the mod powerz
    Your focus should be cutting. Drop some bodyfat so you can get a solid idea of what you have for a muscle base.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by l3al3yJane View Post
    My impression is that a cut would be better where you are right now, but that is just my opinion and depends on your goals. Are you trying to gain strength or just seeking a certain look? If you are eating at maintenance, weight isn't changing, you are stalled on some of your bigger lifts, AND hitting big numbers is important to you, then I would say to bulk. However, if you want to lean out in what you said were your problem areas, then a cut would be better.

From the mid-range of your BF estimate at 30%, you have about 46 lbs of fat and 108 lbs of LBM. That is a great number for lean mass, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable bulking and potentially adding more fat at that point. I don't feel like it is necessary to have BF much higher than that and that gets into a kind of "gray" area as far as healthfulness for your cardiovascular system and other organs. Not that I'm saying you aren't healthy since I don't know you, but I think as a general guideline most women feel better and have better markers for longevity at body fat levels that are in the mid twenties. And obviously part of this is for health, right?

Have you considered trying a less aggressive cut at 8-10% below maintenance calories for several months? That can often lead to decent fat loss, a minimum of muscle loss and lifts can still continue going up. Assuming a slow cut from 30% now, you could go down to about 144 and around 25% BF over 3-4 months and probably see a lot of improvement in your back and legs, plus, you wouldn't be dying of starvation, crashing on energy, or at risk for rebounding with weight gain because you lost too fast.

Good luck with either!
    Thank you sooo very much. This post definitely will help me.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Your focus should be cutting. Drop some bodyfat so you can get a solid idea of what you have for a muscle base.
    Thanks Kim, btw you look great.