Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Elemental1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Why is my bench so weak?

I have been training for several months and recently got into powerlifting,I weigh 200lbs or close to it and my Max for Squats are 260,My Max deadlift is roughly the same BUT.. my max bench is 80lbs..WHY is this? i don't understand..I have an average sized chest but it is very weak and no matter what i do for bench it stays weak,any thoughts on this?

ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    #1 if your max squat and deadlift are the same, you are squatting Too High( 99% guaranteed )
    #2 you can't be "powerlifting" when you have an 80pound bench and 260 deadlift..you're not even close to getting to a level where you should even think about powerlifting

#3 I suggest you start benching, squatting 3x a week, shoulder pressing 2-3x a week, and deadlifting 2x a week to take advantage of your insane newb gains.

guarantee , you will go up like +15 pounds a week on squat, +5-10pounds a week on the deadlift, and like +5-7.5 pounds a week on the bench for the next few months lol..

#4 On your bench, are you stuck when the bar is at your chest? a little off your chest ? half way through lift? or the top?

Seeing your bench is 80 pounds, your form is probably absolutely terrible too, and you have no idea what you were doing

I don't even know where to start to help you.. >.<

rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rbelsito427 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post
    I have been training for several months and recently got into powerlifting,I weigh 200lbs or close to it and my Max for Squats are 260,My Max deadlift is roughly the same BUT.. my max bench is 80lbs..WHY is this? i don't understand..I have an average sized chest but it is very weak and no matter what i do for bench it stays weak,any thoughts on this?
    80lbs.... I have to ask. Is this a joke? Not to be mean if it's not but wtf dude. What does your form look like. I don't even know where to begin. My 4' 11" 90 lb girlfriend can bench 80 lb. If this is serious I don't mean to be a dick, if anything just use this as motivation.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Originally Posted by ryuzorz View Post
    #1 if your max squat and deadlift are the same, you are squatting Too High( 99% guaranteed )
    #2 you can't be "powerlifting" when you have an 80pound bench and 260 deadlift..you're not even close to getting to a level where you should even think about powerlifting

#3 I suggest you start benching, squatting 3x a week, shoulder pressing 2-3x a week, and deadlifting 2x a week to take advantage of your insane newb gains.

guarantee , you will go up like +15 pounds a week on squat, +5-10pounds a week on the deadlift, and like +5-7.5 pounds a week on the bench for the next few months lol..

#4 On your bench, are you stuck when the bar is at your chest? a little off your chest ? half way through lift? or the top?

Seeing your bench is 80 pounds, your form is probably absolutely terrible too, and you have no idea what you were doing

I don't even know where to start to help you.. >.<
    Well for #1 My deadlift is probably a lot more than recorded as that was atleast 2 months ago. #2 I said I'm STARTING powerlifting. Im on StrongLifts 5x5. #3) I don't have newb gains anymore,i said several months but i basically mean atleast 7 months and I'm on StrongLifts. #4) Its a little after pushing back up off my chest. And my form is good,I train with a local strongman and he has never corrected my form,and i do infact know what I'm doing. thanks for making me sound retarded and posting a lot of BS,I just wanted an answer not criticism..

Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rbelsito427 View Post
    80lbs.... I have to ask. Is this a joke? Not to be mean if it's not but wtf dude. What does your form look like. I don't even know where to begin. My 4' 11" 90 lb girlfriend can bench 80 lb. If this is serious I don't mean to be a dick, if anything just use this as motivation.
    Maybe he's speaking in kg's and mistyped?

Starting strength OP. Please do one of the 5x5 beginners, eat right, and you'll be fine. It'll take a lot of time, work, and effort, but if you're consistent, you'll be good.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136366931

Originally Posted by rbelsito427 View Post
    It ain't no joke man idk whats wrong with me..

Originally Posted by Juggernaut0 View Post
    Maybe he's speaking in kg's and mistyped?

Starting strength OP. Please do one of the 5x5 beginners, eat right, and you'll be fine. It'll take a lot of time, work, and effort, but if you're consistent, you'll be good.
    Yes! I'm sorry i re read through it and realised i put lbs instead of KG,either way i don't like that i can barely push it back up off my chest.

NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes! I'm sorry i re read through it and realised i put lbs instead of KG,either way i don't like that i can barely push it back up off my chest.
    Does that mean you squat and deadlift 260kg?
    Powerlifting Log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134608051&page=4

Originally Posted by NeverLifted View Post
    Does that mean you squat and deadlift 260kg?
    No,i meant 80kg bench,the rest are pounds

ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryuzorz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wait a minute.

So you deadlift 260kg
    Squat 260kg
    and bench 80kg

???/

If it is a little bit off of your chest, it is most likely your shoulders, rather than your chest.

With dumbbells, what is your Dumbbell Shoulder Press? Dumbbell chest press? Dumbbell flies?

i know that's a random question, but I have basically been able to help like 10 people with their bench problem just by knowing those ratios because you can easily find out if it's their shoulder or chest.

If you're not getting stuck kind of 1/2 way, then it's probably not your chest. the lower portion is basically most shoulders.

I suggest you start doing Standing Barbell Military press 3 sets, Dumbbell Shoulder press 3 sets, and maybe some Lateral Shoulder Raises like 2-3x a week... and start benching 3x a week.

inb4 op did mean 80 pounds bench and is now just too embarrassed to admit it.

my girlfriend could bench 80 pounds when she was 119lbs and never touched a weight in her life.

it's ok man..it's probably your form, or just your shoulders are weak as !&$%

Originally Posted by ryuzorz View Post
    inb4 op did mean 80 pounds bench and is now just too embarrassed to admit it.

my girlfriend could bench 80 pounds when she was 119lbs and never touched a weight in her life.

it's ok man..it's probably your form, or just your shoulders are weak as !&$%
    Why would i be embarrassed? You should be the one embarrassed cause you gotta be a ****ing prick over the internet to keep up your self esteem about your **** traps. I meant 80kg so be quiet,i believe it may be my shoulders and I am stacking up the overhead press as we speak to train them,once said body part is trained efficiently,I will report back and notify you if my bench has improved.

bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why would i be embarrassed? You should be the one embarrassed cause you gotta be a ****ing prick over the internet to keep up your self esteem about your **** traps. I meant 80kg so be quiet,i believe it may be my shoulders and I am stacking up the overhead press as we speak to train them,once said body part is trained efficiently,I will report back and notify you if my bench has improved.
    I started at about 100lbs and 180lbs body weight. Even the worlds strongest men have weaknesses you just need to work on them.
    Loves deadlifting so much want to become coroner

Originally Posted by bobjenkins777 View Post
    I started at about 100lbs and 180lbs body weight. Even the worlds strongest men have weaknesses you just need to work on them.
    Agreed. I will isolate shoulders for a few months and train them hard,I hope it will improve my bench by a lot this time next year.

NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000) NeverLifted is just really nice. (+1000)
    If that is what you meant, an 80kg bench and a 120kg squat and deadlift is perfectly normal lol. If its 80lbs then post a vid, what bodyweight did you start at?
    Powerlifting Log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134608051&page=4

Originally Posted by NeverLifted View Post
    If that is what you meant, an 80kg bench and a 120kg squat and deadlift is perfectly normal lol. If its 80lbs then post a vid, what bodyweight did you start at?
    I'd feel kinda weird having a guy film me in a commercial gym,Where people don't really understand high intensity and what not,And the 80kg bench just feels like its a lot less than it could be compared to a 120kg deadlift. I started at 180lbs roughly,I have dropped a lot of weight fat wise and built a nice bit of muscle.

It's your shoulders, and I wasn't trying to be a d***. just know a lot of people that get too embarrassed to admit their statistics, and in order to properly be helped, making sure you're not falling victim to that.

i can deadlift 405, and my max flat bench is only 225x3 (imo..225x2 because the last one I almost cheat it).

dont even care, its not lifes meaning

not actually a goose goosefrabbas's Avatar
    goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000) goosefrabbas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My deadlift is about twice my bench. If you're on 5x5 then you should be doing some type of OHP once a week, you don't need to "isolate" shoulders. Doesn't matter if you're at 80 pounds or 80 kilos, just keep benching and it'll go up. Don't skimp out on the heavy rows too.
    Meet: 440/248/485 = 1173@144 sp

My powerlifting log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135067661&page=39

Originally Posted by goosefrabbas View Post
    My deadlift is about twice my bench. If you're on 5x5 then you should be doing some type of OHP once a week, you don't need to "isolate" shoulders. Doesn't matter if you're at 80 pounds or 80 kilos, just keep benching and it'll go up. Don't skimp out on the heavy rows too.
    I enjoy doing overhead press on 5x5 some weeks i get to do it twice and some weeks only once,how would rows target shoulders unless your kinda jerking the weight up? i like to think of my arms as hooks on that exercise so my arms never get any work out of it.

Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Link815 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Video of form. We get countless numbers of teens coming in here saying "my (insert lift) sucks, help me." We say, post video of form. They say "my form is perfect you !@#%@#$%&$%^@#$%@!#$%, I train with (insert bodybuilder/powerlifter/strongman) and he says my form is perfect and I know what I'm doing". Don't be that guy, get some vids. I take videos of myself all the time in a commercial gym, it's an important training tool if you're serious about lifting.
    Best Sanctioned Lifts (USPA/USAPL):
    683w/452/507

Best Gym Lifts:
    675w/477.5/495

Originally Posted by Link815 View Post
    Video of form. We get countless numbers of teens coming in here saying "my (insert lift) sucks, help me." We say, post video of form. They say "my form is perfect you !@#%@#$%&$%^@#$%@!#$%, I train with (insert bodybuilder/powerlifter/strongman) and he says my form is perfect and I know what I'm doing". Don't be that guy, get some vids. I take videos of myself all the time in a commercial gym, it's an important training tool if you're serious about lifting.
    Alright,ill try to get a friend to film my form.

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I enjoy doing overhead press on 5x5 some weeks i get to do it twice and some weeks only once,how would rows target shoulders unless your kinda jerking the weight up? i like to think of my arms as hooks on that exercise so my arms never get any work out of it.
    Its impossible to do rows without working the arms because its impossible to flex the elbow without using the biceps and its impossible to extend the shoulders without the rear delts.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    If your getting stuck on the lower end I'd say you need to really hit the upper back/lats and rear delts harder.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    80 lbs or 80 kgs, it doesn't matter you are only 16. When I was 16, I weighed like 125lbs and benching only like 105lbs. Even now, my bench still sucks. Just keep working at it.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TripTastic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    started to get headache after reading first 3-4 posts.........
    best meet lifts- 935/660/715

bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100)
    he obv benches 80 lbs. so he raw squats and dead lifts 570+ @ 16 and 195 lbs but only benches 80kg.

cool story

jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdyqf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well for #1 My deadlift is probably a lot more than recorded as that was atleast 2 months ago. #2 I said I'm STARTING powerlifting. Im on StrongLifts 5x5. #3) I don't have newb gains anymore,i said several months but i basically mean atleast 7 months and I'm on StrongLifts. #4) Its a little after pushing back up off my chest. And my form is good,I train with a local strongman and he has never corrected my form,and i do infact know what I'm doing. thanks for making me sound retarded and posting a lot of BS,I just wanted an answer not criticism..
    run linear progression starting tomorrow. in like 3months i can guarantee at least a bench of 155 or so if your true max is at 80 just because you have amazing results to see, unless of course your lying about the weights.
    PR's: 365 | 280 | 500 = 1145 lbs

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161814243&p=1242966893#post1242966893

bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    If your getting stuck on the lower end I'd say you need to really hit the upper back/lats and rear delts harder.
    Excellent advice.

Imo lifting is like a game of chess. Knowing which move to make and why make that move is what makes success. I see toomany people blindly following routines having no actual idea why the routine is constructed how it is. Spend as much time educating yourself op by reading texts from competent authors (elitefts loue simmons and rippetoe are a great start)as you do lifting. Successful weightlifters are smart weightlifters,I don't give a **** if someone can bench 400lbs and has shiitty form with a horrible routine because with some knowledge and corrections in form they could be lifting so much more

Now try this assume the bottom of the benching position without the bar. Now tighten your lats. Your hands move forward. This is why the above poster is suggesting train your lats and upper back. They'll help you get the bbar off your chest

Someones gunna be much more likely to follow advice is they understand why your suggesting it
    Loves deadlifting so much want to become coroner

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bobjenkins777 View Post
    Excellent advice.

Imo lifting is like a game of chess. Knowing which move to make and why make that move is what makes success. I see toomany people blindly following routines having no actual idea why the routine is constructed how it is. Spend as much time educating yourself op by reading texts from competent authors (elitefts loue simmons and rippetoe are a great start)as you do lifting. Successful weightlifters are smart weightlifters,I don't give a **** if someone can bench 400lbs and has shiitty form with a horrible routine because with some knowledge and corrections in form they could be lifting so much more

Now try this assume the bottom of the benching position without the bar. Now tighten your lats. Your hands move forward. This is why the above poster is suggesting train your lats and upper back. They'll help you get the bbar off your chest

Someones gunna be much more likely to follow advice is they understand why your suggesting it
    Thanks for going into more depth with this. I was pressed for time when I posted.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tai8 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dude, it's easy to increase bench. All you have to do is bench as heavy as you can for low reps. If your bench max is really 80 pounds, then try like 70 or 65 for 5x5. Once you finish the weight for 5 sets of 5 reps, increase the weight by 5 pounds. Make sure to have adequate rest. What does your exact routine look like? You might be overtraining because it's impossible to only max at 80 pounds if you have been training for several months like you say.