Registered User DeadlyEvolution's Avatar
    DeadlyEvolution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for info for my needs. Smaller guy wants to bulk up more & target muscles

Ok so this is my first post and I hope it's in the right section. I'm looking for some proper info on what exercises and how much is need to target some specific areas and how much is the right amount. I'm 30 years old now and have always been very skinny but always had good muscle tone. Lifted on and off through my teen years and a tad bit in my 20's. Keep in mind I'm 5'9" and my previous peak weight ever was about 125 lbs. Well this past January I decided I wanted to try and put on some weight and work on my physical appearance.
    I have always had problems (though some may not see it the same way I do) with a ridiculously fast metabolism. It also does not help that I'm a picky eater. So I decided to try a weight gainer, and start a series of exercises to try and bulk up my upper body first. (I've never been a fan of leg exercises but feel I need to start that also now)
    Money is of course a factor so I looked around and got some good reviews on a product call Muscle Juice 2600, I was consuming (twice daily) 3 scoop servings with milk for around 1100 calories x 2 per day plus 3-5 meals a day. Working out 3-4 times a week spacing it out with a day of rest between. I don't work out at a gym but I do have some of my own equipment in my basement.
    My workouts contained core exercises, not for bulking but I am after a rock solid core, my abs are very defined because I'm skinny ( if I had to "guess" less than 5% body fat) however I want to have abs that are not just defined, also stick out and are just very good looking, this is a personal preference as I'm sure this is why most all of us do this stuff. I had always done your basic sit up's but decided to add in some new stuff and went on youtube and found some videos that "I" thought looked promising to get ideas for exercises to try. I could post some links if it would help any. As mentioned I want abs that really stick out and are easily noticed, Not so much the flat long, but more so protruding out some.
    After core stuff I did some incline free weight bench presses. Since I don't have a spotter, I don't get to crazy there with weight. My theory is as much weight as I can safely do, keep it under 10 rips and try for 3-4 sets at the same weight. I wait about 2 minutes between sets. Then move on to a bench press machine with weight stacks. Increased weight since I don't need a spotter. Do another 3-4 sets of 8 reps max and decreasing reps till failure through those sets. I may also drop a weight stack off by set 3 to keep the reps around 8 or failure.
    Then I went on to do some chest curls with with butterfly station. 6-10 reps 3 sets, dropping a plate off by set 3.
    Then went on to do some cable pull downs (simulating a pull up) I did 3 sets of 14 or so with decreasing reps until failure. These where under hand style. After several weeks I maxed out the machine's max available resistance.
    Then went over to doing barbell curling. I tried several different approaches here. One was starting off heavy.. preacher curls reps till failure (usually less than 9) and decreasing reps with each set till failure. 3 sets Then dropped the weight down and did 21's or more of the 3 sets reps under 10 till failure.
    Another was to add in or replace preacher curls with some hammer curls. I have since also tried out another series of exercises to try and target the bicep peaks, which I can post a link to the video if it helps any.
    Lastly I was doing some exercises for my triceps, curls laying on my back. Keeping my arms straight up, and elbows go from 90* over my head to nearly straight up. Again 3 sets reps around 15 or less to failure.
    I did the above for 9 weeks along with the gainer and went from 125 lbs to 143 lbs! For me that is a HUGE difference. I had been 120 lbs for the previous 5 years or more. The down side is around this time, it was getting hard to eat, was just tired of eating so much and so often all the darn time. I backed off for a month and went back at it.. but just had to much going on in life to stick to it the way I need to. My weight dropped to about 137, and made a 2nd attempt. Worked out hard for another 3 weeks and back to 140. This time not as heavy on the gainer.. maybe 1 serving on days I lifted.

Ok so all in all I'm just wondering if I'm doing anything that I should not be.. are my methods ok or how could I improve them.

To get abs that are less flat and stick out more should try to add weight into the picture?

My shoulders are also in need of some bulking to keep my proportions in line with my biceps I put on around 2" in circumference to my biceps/triceps. What are some good shoulder exercises?

I'm not like hardcore about this stuff, but I like the personal satisfaction of having a body that gets noticed and seeing improvement in my size. I'd like to get up to at least 160. That is my goal at the current moment.

Think I will also post up a picture I had already of me pumped but not flexing and see what others think I should address. Any tips and info from those who have more experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. This thread will be a progressive thread if all goes well. Sorry for the long thrown together 1st post.
    Attached Images

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have an excellent base to work with. Honestly, and unfortunately, no one is going to read the massive paragraph you posted (including me).

Bulking incorporates two major elements: a substantial increase in caloric intake and effective weightlifting approach. After gaining weight, you lost it once discipline (in terms of diet regularity) waned. Fix this issue and you'll bulk up.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.