Thread: Caveman Diet

Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000)

Caveman Diet

Anyone currrently following the caveman/peleo diet? How extreme are you going, anything controversial you might be keeping in you diet? How have the results been, r u losing bodyfat? Do you eat like this and still count calories or is fat/weight loss just a side effect of eating like this???
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Riggs75 View Post
    Anyone currrently following the caveman/peleo diet? How extreme are you going, anything controversial you might be keeping in you diet? How have the results been, r u losing bodyfat? Do you eat like this and still count calories or is fat/weight loss just a side effect of eating like this???

I've been doing it for a few months, and overall I'm happy with it. I'm currently on a very slow cut. The fat loss appears to be a side effect of eating this way (no counting calories) but to be honest, my diet prior to trying paleo was so crappy that there's no way to conduct any sort of controlled experiment. It could just be that cleaning up my diet meant less calories.

After a few months, I have some impressions:

1. I feel a million times better than I did. I mean really great.

2. Its an easy diet to do. I always feel sated; never hungry.

3. Its expensive.

4. To do a real cut, I don't think there's any way to avoid IIFYM and counting cals. The laws of thermodynamics (or whatever you guys call it) cannot be repealed. When I do go to counting cals, though, I'm sticking with Paleo foods.

5. I have read a fair amount of the stickied nutrition threads and am well aware that the diet is controversial, but its working, the food is decent, I am slowly cutting, and I have plenty of gas in the tank to complete workouts. I am currently doing 5-3-1.

Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000) Riggs75 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Chris_T View Post
    I've been doing it for a few months, and overall I'm happy with it. I'm currently on a very slow cut. The fat loss appears to be a side effect of eating this way (no counting calories) but to be honest, my diet prior to trying paleo was so crappy that there's no way to conduct any sort of controlled experiment. It could just be that cleaning up my diet meant less calories.

After a few months, I have some impressions:

1. I feel a million times better than I did. I mean really great.

2. Its an easy diet to do. I always feel sated; never hungry.

3. Its expensive.

4. To do a real cut, I don't think there's any way to avoid IIFYM and counting cals. The laws of thermodynamics (or whatever you guys call it) cannot be repealed. When I do go to counting cals, though, I'm sticking with Paleo foods.

5. I have read a fair amount of the stickied nutrition threads and am well aware that the diet is controversial, but its working, the food is decent, I am slowly cutting, and I have plenty of gas in the tank to complete workouts. I am currently doing 5-3-1.
    So is it basically (from what I can see from what i've read) eating lean protein sources and anything that grown naturally ie veggies, fruit, nuts etc. do you cut out starchy veggies?
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chris_T has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So is it basically (from what I can see from what i've read) eating lean protein sources and anything that grown naturally ie veggies, fruit, nuts etc. do you cut out starchy veggies?
    I did, yes.

The only modification I made was to add protein powder after I workout. Otherwise I stick with it fairly closely. I do a cheat meal every couple of weeks. Usually Pizza. Sometimes Mom's potato salad (which is so, so good).

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've lost around 200lbs. of bodyfat and gained around 60 lbs. of muscle since I changed to keto/paleo several years back.....
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

Originally Posted by KLMARB View Post
    I've lost around 200lbs. of bodyfat and gained around 60 lbs. of muscle since I changed to keto/paleo several years back.....
    what about potatoes on this diet, i'm getting conflicting advice when i research. i also read in some stuff that eggs are off limits? also what about dressing for salads, is there any that's acceptable?
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

what about potatoes on this diet, i'm getting conflicting advice when i research. i also read in some stuff that eggs are off limits? also what about dressing for salads, is there any that's acceptable?
    Eggs are fine. You can get the omega-3 enriched eggs, but again, they are more expensive. If you have to have potatoes, just take them after your workout. Potatoes are a no-go on a strict paleo regimen though.

I like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little lemon juice as a salad dressing. Hell, even my wife likes it now. You can also use flaxseed oil, but I haven't tried that yet.

Eggs are fine. You can get the omega-3 enriched eggs, but again, they are more expensive. If you have to have potatoes, just take them after your workout. Potatoes are a no-go on a strict paleo regimen though.

I like olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little lemon juice as a salad dressing. Hell, even my wife likes it now. You can also use flaxseed oil, but I haven't tried that yet.
    how much of each do you use to make the dressing?
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ... anything controversial you might be keeping in you diet?
    You mean like this?

I don't worry too much about portion control (one of the advantages of the diet). A tablespoon of oil, maybe two of the vinegar, and then just squeeze out some lemon juice. . . should be fine. You'll figure it out and adjust for taste.

I don't worry too much about portion control (one of the advantages of the diet). A tablespoon of oil, maybe two of the vinegar, and then just squeeze out some lemon juice. . . should be fine. You'll figure it out and adjust for taste.
    awesome, thanks...repped
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    You mean like this?

did you post a pic, my server's playing tricks again...not letting me see any pics posted on the forums today...grrrr
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

Smile

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    You mean like this?

heh.

Yeah, well. . ..

heh.

Yeah, well. . ..
    guess i'll have to check it out at home to see what i'm missing lol
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am reading, and trying to follow a book "Primal mind, Primal body" which makes a lot of sense. I was going to buy it but ladyfriend acccidently bot it on kindle so I am reading it there. I like reading books better.
    Do what's right.

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You know unless you are on the plains of Africa chasing water buffalo and gathering wild plants you ain't following no Paleo diet.

DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just figured out what the Paleo Diet is the other day and I've been pretty much eating that way for awhile now (just meat and vegetables). I've been eating twice a day. A 400 calorie breakfast that is a dozen eggs (11 whites and one whole egg), a slice of bread (I know, cavemen didn't eat bread), and a piece of lox for flavor and then dinner of some sort of meat (chicken breast, baked fish, pork, steak) with a green vegetable (I've been eating a lot of brussel sprouts lately).

Breakfast is always the same 400 calories. I don't count dinner. Snacks (I like to grab a little something when I get home from work before dinner) are cottage cheese, pickles, or beef jerky.

Eating like this has me losing scale pounds pretty steadily, even as I approach what I estimate to be 11% bf. Hunger is not really an issue. Once in awhile I'll supplement with some carbs to boost my energy level (usually 300 calories of oatmeal will do the trick).

I can gain weight eating this way just as easily, however. All I have to do is eat more. Just adding lunch is enough.
    "It doesn't matter what exercise you do, but man was made to move, to eat sparingly, to work hard and to screw as much as he can manage. Do all that, and you will look as good as your genes will let you, be content as the arseholes around you will allow, and maybe get a few screws. The particular virtues of weight training are in the discipline it brings to both mind and body, and, if you do it right, it will make you look good naked and do well what you got your clothes off to do." Georgeoz

Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000) Zunehmer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I highly recommend the archevore blog. Its not like the typical paleo-zealot but actually well-researched. The guy there looks at research and then combines it with paleo, pretty cool and not broscience. Its more about what you don't eat then what you eat. Check out the blog, there are some steps in order of whats import to improve.

FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessAfter4T is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I kinda wound up on this diet on my own... I only ate meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and olive oil/fish oil. So basically I guess I was using the paleo diet. I look at it this way, there were no fat people 10,000 years ago. If there were, they got eaten!

Lately I have had to add back in some carbs like oatmeal, sweet potato, brown rice because I was getting too lean Eating the carbs really helps with my strength at the gym too.

Oh, one more thing... because fruit was my only type of carb (if you don't count the veggies), I did a carb refeed once a week.
    Last edited by FitnessAfter4T; 07-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Lift heavy thing. Eat protein. Sleep. Repeat.

Originally Posted by Zunehmer View Post
    I highly recommend the archevore blog. Its not like the typical paleo-zealot but actually well-researched. The guy there looks at research and then combines it with paleo, pretty cool and not broscience. Its more about what you don't eat then what you eat. Check out the blog, there are some steps in order of whats import to improve.
    I went there and dug around. Good stuff. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Zunehmer View Post
    Where do I find this blog? Nvrmind, found it...thanks.

I am definitely going to give this type of eating a try, I think it might be just what I need to lose the lbs I want, appears to be the healthiest way to eat out there and might just help me conquer my diabetes once and for all (with any luck). Will start a journal once I begin and chart my progress.
    Last edited by Riggs75; 07-15-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: found the blog
    L.E.O.

***Canadian Crew***

Registered User Bladerunner1811's Avatar
    Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000) Bladerunner1811 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    You know unless you are on the plains of Africa chasing water buffalo and gathering wild plants you ain't following no Paleo diet.
    Tell that too a cousin of mine he's spending the whole spring and summer ,at his dads old cabine in the forest living off teh land and lifting weights.
    Barbarism in the natural state of mankind.Civilzation is unnatural.It is the whim of circumstance.And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.

-----Robert E.Howard
    From the Conan tale:

Beyond the Black river

jackpot2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have read a fair amount of the stickied nutrition threads and am well aware that the diet is controversial, but its working, the food is decent, I am slowly cutting, and I have plenty of gas in the tank to complete workouts. I am currently doing 5-3-1.

ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ParsleyTea has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I eat paleo, not so much for weight loss but overall health. I feel much better on the diet. Put on decent muscle also. I guess about the only controversial foods I consume are glasses of wine from time to time, and will eat dark chocolate.

Archevore is a great place for information.

Another location to check out is Dr. Eenfeldt's. He put together an easy to see collection of paleo/ low carb information sights.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/new

Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Don71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For me low carbing has worked well for loosing weight after years of being overweight.

But it wasn't until I started reading up and following the Paleo style of eating that I started getting my best results. I'm in the best shape of my whole adult life at 39 now(almost 40). coupled with weight training and some hiit(hill sprints usually) it's worked great.

By pulling out the sugar and grains my weight is better, inflamtion goes away, even my teeth feel better. sleep better, more energy all day long. leaner, better workouts. Actually workout a little less and tend to focus on compound movements.

then as I reintroduce those foods back in my diet as a form of cheat-that's when I really notice. start holding fluid, inflamtion, etc.

also, nobody can eat exactly like prehistoric man today but I think the idea is to get as close as possible.

Good stuff.

kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50) kid_icarus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been on paleo since november - check out my blog www.iwantsomefeckingchips.blogspot.com

gained 7kg of muscle, dropped bodyfat, feel, sleep and f*ck better
    "Work hard, play hard, train smart."

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Myself, i find this type of Paleo Plan very intriguing and slowly have been adopting the principles not fully yet but each week i'm tweaking my food plan more & more towards this type , i have been removing most of the starches and finding results and will keep incorporating it into my meal plans, I have always been intrigued by the Paleo lifestyle and seems to me to be the best fit towards my goals, I swear i understand Carbs blah blah blah as energy but my feeling is if you want to lose weight minimize them, to gain add them, as simple as that and i have tried everything and seem to be showing the best results of my life with this type of program being an individual and what i think and feel is working for me to reach my goals of sub 10%BF@ 11 now, started 220lbs, now 170ish lean and getting leaner, those are my goals, i'm not a mass guy.
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

Tybalt aka The Phantom Menace
    BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS