View Poll Results: wheres the bar relative to your collar bone?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • in front

3 27.27%
  • on top

8 72.73%

Thread: bar position

LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

bar position

wheres the bar relative to your collar bone? on top? or infront?

ive been catching the bar infront and it feels fine but i keep smashing my left collar bone and now its bruised as hell. making it even bigger which makes me hit it even more lol.

i also tried racking just the bar on my collar bone and its allowed me to move my elbows down a bit to get ready for the jerk and doesnt hit the bruised area, BUT i have a feeling if i catch it ON my collar bone with weight it's gonna snap my collarbones lol. i know you should be holding it up with your delts and not really have all the pressure on your collar bones but i also have small delts so that doesnt help either.

the fact that i rack it infront probably causes me to fold over more too when i FS back up
    .........(july 23, 2010)
    Bench 200
    Squat 335
    Deadlift 375

Snatch/CnJ 84kg/108.5kg (sept 23, 2011)

ATG 134kg
    FS 120kg

get jacked, squat rack
    do rows; working on your back

doievenlift.tumblr.com

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ELE2 CREW FOUNDER

pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    pffft

pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    pffft

LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by pfffft View Post
    Originally Posted by LudiWithKnives View Post
    wheres the bar relative to your collar bone? on top? or infront?

ive been catching the bar infront and it feels fine but i keep smashing my left collar bone and now its bruised as hell. making it even bigger which makes me hit it even more lol.

i also tried racking just the bar on my collar bone and its allowed me to move my elbows down a bit to get ready for the jerk and doesnt hit the bruised area, BUT i have a feeling if i catch it ON my collar bone with weight it's gonna snap my collarbones lol. i know you should be holding it up with your delts and not really have all the pressure on your collar bones but i also have small delts so that doesnt help either.

the fact that i rack it infront probably causes me to fold over more too when i FS back up
    im asking with respect to your collar bones. so even if you have the bar on your delts, the bar itself could be above or infront of your collar bone. i have the bar on my delts but the bars still infront.
    .........(july 23, 2010)
    Bench 200
    Squat 335
    Deadlift 375

ATG 134kg
    FS 120kg

get jacked, squat rack

doievenlift.tumblr.com

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ELE2 CREW FOUNDER

nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nova6868 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly, I don't even think about it in terms of my collar bone. You want the bar in the crease of your shoulders.

Try this... Hold the bar in a "zombie" front squat position, where you don't even use your hands to balance the weight. That's where it needs to be.

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    When I first started cleaning I was also catching the bar quite low, on my upper chest/clavicles and being supported by my hands. Wasn't very comfortable. I have since corrected my ways and catch it now firmly up on my deltoids.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why don't you guys try and help a fellow Ol'er instead of being wise asses. There aren't enough of them out there to begin with so try and help instead of ridiculing.

I used to hit my right color bone all the time and it was from over pulling the bar. Control the bar more as you pull under, just keep practicing it will take time to learn exactly where you want the bar to be before you pull under.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Given that the bar should always be on your deltoids, how far in front or above your collar bone will be determined by your body and where you grip.

If you have a narrow grip it should be out in front in most cases. If you grip is a little wider it will move towards being above the collar bone. In the pull and catch you should try to keep your hands just outside shoulder width and if need be readjust it before you jerk.

As always this varies from person to person but in general it would be near impossible to use a narrow grip, have the bar on your deltoids, and above the collar bone.

Originally Posted by nova6868 View Post
    Honestly, I don't even think about it in terms of my collar bone. You want the bar in the crease of your shoulders.

Try this... Hold the bar in a "zombie" front squat position, where you don't even use your hands to balance the weight. That's where it needs to be.
    ill try that thanks, are you supposed to protract/push your shoulders forward so you have a bigger base?

Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    When I first started cleaning I was also catching the bar quite low, on my upper chest/clavicles and being supported by my hands. Wasn't very comfortable. I have since corrected my ways and catch it now firmly up on my deltoids.
    how did you correct your ways lol? would like tips thanks

Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Why don't you guys try and help a fellow Ol'er instead of being wise asses. There aren't enough of them out there to begin with so try and help instead of ridiculing.

I used to hit my right color bone all the time and it was from over pulling the bar. Control the bar more as you pull under, just keep practicing it will take time to learn exactly where you want the bar to be before you pull under.
    thanks ill practice controlling my catch more

Originally Posted by Iberian80 View Post
    Given that the bar should always be on your deltoids, how far in front or above your collar bone will be determined by your body and where you grip.

If you have a narrow grip it should be out in front in most cases. If you grip is a little wider it will move towards being above the collar bone. In the pull and catch you should try to keep your hands just outside shoulder width and if need be readjust it before you jerk.

As always this varies from person to person but in general it would be near impossible to use a narrow grip, have the bar on your deltoids, and above the collar bone.
    thanks
    .........(july 23, 2010)
    Bench 200
    Squat 335
    Deadlift 375

ATG 134kg
    FS 120kg

get jacked, squat rack

doievenlift.tumblr.com

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ELE2 CREW FOUNDER

sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    in front of collar on delts

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to catch mine on my delts in front of collar bone, but after watching a ton of video of elite athletes cleaning, they rack the barbell mostly on top of their collarbone on their delts. I have since changed and my clean is easier, and front squats started shooting up in weight again (after having stalled b/c my back would round).

But, I agree that it will probably depend on your particular body. gbg also pointed out that you should be controlling yourself getting under the bar, YES!!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133