thewick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Military Press shoulder problem

So when I'm doing military presses, I feel great the whole way through. Even when I hold the bar still to rack it, I don't feel anything. When I finally take my hands off of the bar and relax my arms, I get this deep pain in the front of my right shoulder and it goes away after about 3-4 seconds. Should I stay away from Military Presses from now on and substitute something else or what's going on?

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Take a week off from military pressing. Watch some videos on youtube of military press technique. Check hand placement, etc. Is there pain when you do push presses? How bout BTN presses? DB presses?
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) PBJTime will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thewick View Post
    So when I'm doing military presses, I feel great the whole way through. Even when I hold the bar still to rack it, I don't feel anything. When I finally take my hands off of the bar and relax my arms, I get this deep pain in the front of my right shoulder and it goes away after about 3-4 seconds. Should I stay away from Military Presses from now on and substitute something else or what's going on?
    I would try neutral grip presses for now and see if that helps. I would say it sounds like impingement, but if it's not hurting on the way up, that wouldn't make much sense.

The next thing I think of is rotator cuff weakness. If your rotator cuff is not holding that humeral head in the socket correctly, then it could be "catching" or a few other issues. Do you ever do any rotator cuff exercises? You could try some internal rotation, external rotation, and scaption exercises with a cable and LIGHT weight for a few weeks to see if that helps.

If it is impingement, then I would definitely avoid any behind the neck stuff or anything similar.

Just throwing out some ideas.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    -President Ronald Reagan, 1985

For the ones we lost: http://www.usmra.com/farewellmarine.htm

I hold no grudges.

Reps: