Registered User skinnyectomorph's Avatar
    skinnyectomorph has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hold it! I'm 6'3" - 160 lbs. The Goal - gain 35 lbs

Hi All, as the title reads I'm 6'3" at 160 lbs. I'm pushing 33 years young but my body looks like it's been trapped in a 13 year old boy body for the past 20 years and I'm looking for some advise from guys that have been in similar situation before.
    My body type is classified as an ectomorph, but I also have some traits from a mesomorph type (like strength and endurance).
    From my research and experience I found out that I might be doing too much aerobic/cardio, not eating enough and doing wrong exercises.
    So I turn to you guys for some advice and help on how to gain "muscle mass" (my goal is to gain 35 lbs or so).
    What exercises do I do? How often do I train each muscle? What muscle groups to train together? How to recover? What to eat and how much? What supplements? Should I use a Nutritionist help with constructing specific diet? What about a personal trainer? Any help is good help.
    Thank you in advance.
    skinnyectomorph
    Last edited by skinnyectomorph; 07-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Well, start reading. There are thousands of articles on nutrition on the main site. A routine like Starting Strength (search it) would probably be a place to start.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Well, start reading. There are thousands of articles on nutrition on the main site. A routine like Starting Strength (search it) would probably be a place to start.
    Thanks Wildtim, searching right now

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bottom line, you need to consume more calories than you burn/metabolize. You should also aim to get at least 1g of protein per lb. of your bodyweight (I would make this your target weight, so 195 lbs. minimum, taking in extra). Make sure after you workout, that you get protein somehow (shake, food, w/e) and that you also take a good number of carbs with that post-workout meal. Try to eat about 6 times a day (these shouldn't be full sized meals, unless your really having trouble gaining weight, but they should be a good size because your trying to bulk up). I'd also advise you to eat as clean as you reasonably can while making sure to get enough calories. If you have a choice choose a steak over a pizza. That's a very rough sketch of nutrition. You should read through articles on the bodybuilding.com main site for more depth.

As mentioned, Rippetoe's or 5x5 would be a good routine to start with, or take a full body approach like the one I've outlined below:

(do this routine 3 days a week, alternating workouts A and workouts B)

Workout A:
    Back Squats 4 sets 10,8,6,4 reps
    Seated Cable Rows 2 sets 12, 10 reps
    BB Bench Press 3 sets 10, 8, 6 reps
    Dips 2 sets to failure
    Stiff Leg Deadlifts 3 sets 10,8,8
    Wide Grip Pullups 3 sets to failure
    Standing Military Press 3 sets 8, 6, 4 reps

Workout B:
    Deadlifts 4 sets 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
    Close Grip Chinups 3 sets to failure
    Seated DB Arnold Press 2 sets 12, 10 reps
    Front Squats 3 sets 12, 10, 8 reps
    Bent over BB Rows 4 sets 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press 2 sets 8 reps

Be sure to read through the stickies in this section and the nutrition section as well.

fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500) fodosho is not very helpful. (-500)
    What Rocco said.. ^^^ I suggest the 5x5 because it's easy to follow and helped me gain quite a bit of strength when i first started
    Iceman + FormulaLT1poweR = -900k currently @ -463,249
    ~Mod negged for chris hansen pic~
    ~spreken sie Dick?
    ~Faith is believing what you know isn't true
    ► WKEA ◄http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=403306821&posted=1#post403306821

andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andre.krec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't do 5 X 5 -- that is for intermediate lifters who already have strong core lifts (deadlift, squat, bench). stick with starting strenght by rippetoe. It the 3 X 5 program.

ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThiZzNation925 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andre.krec View Post
    don't do 5 X 5 -- that is for intermediate lifters who already have strong core lifts (deadlift, squat, bench). stick with starting strenght by rippetoe. It the 3 X 5 program.
    this

Thanks guys so much, the book "starting strength" is great! the 5x5 or 3x5 programs are what I was looking for.
    As of right I'm injured (kitesurfing-mid and lower back) and I was told that I will need few weeks to recover. Once I'm recovered I will start the program and will post pics and stats.
    Thanks again guys!
    respect
    skinnyectomorph

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was once in your shoes. 6'4" @ 165lbs.
    Your goal is possible.

Lift Heavy.
    Eat well (clean & above maintenance).
    Get rest.
    Be consistent.
    Be vigilant.
    Above all else, be patient.
    *No Crew*