Thread: The big picture

Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The big picture

We have all walked around with the feeling.
    The feeling that we could have trained a little harder, kept a little stricter form or perhaps added a little more weight to that weightlifting session.
    The feeling of not following the most beneficial program possible.
    The feeling of not eating a perfectly estimated diet.

It's a feeling which I feel can be described by "the search for perfection" or "the striving for an effort which we aren't capable of executing". That exact feeling is in us all - it keeps the flame and desire burning. It pushes us to the edge, even though we aren't always happy with the outcome.

Those with the closest contact to this feeling, are those who win in the long run (not only in training matters).

I've experienced myself getting depressed of not being able to achieve as much as this feeling was heading me towards. As time passed on, I started to realize that this feeling will always try to take your performance to the next level - even if it's unbenficial to you.
    Learning to work and live with this feeling will be an unbeatable combination.

Don't focus on the small defeats of your "training-life"; often they should be seen as small victories instead; even though that your feeling of desire and will strives of achieving more.
    I look at it this way.

I've now passed my first year of training - my progress (both in experience, knowledge, mass and skill) has been amazing.
    I look back at my first trainingsessions; those with the duration of 3 hours all together only focused and upper "front" body. Those trainingsessions, where I could keep on talking with friends even though I was doing my "heavy" bench press with incorrect form. All would end with a sloppy meal at the local grill.
    I have changed.
    I have been training, reading and practicing my ass off. I have greatly improved my knowledge about training related issues. I have seen my body change as a result of my new attitude towards training.
    That's the essence of my "Big picture". Even though that i didn't succeed my first HST-cycle, ate horribly sloppy food in periods and didn't sleep enough I have seen great improvement.

Nobody is born with the genetical composition to do textbook squats and deadlifts. We all experience small bumps on the road, but since we aren't perfect it's the "Big picture" that matters.

I hope my thoughts are going to call for reflection. Am I alone with this understanding?

Kind regards, Theo
    Last edited by Theo1712; 06-30-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    No limits.

ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very interesting. I like the way you think.

Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Theo1712 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks
    No limits.

runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) runningtherack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great philosophy I totally agree with you.

Also some people will focus too much about what they miss than what they already have, even if they already have a lot. It can mislead us but it can drive us too...

About workouts, I think keeping a log of your progress and judging the "big picture" (eg progress from month to month) helps motivation a lot, because chances are, if you train, you make constant progress

Thanks for the insight!

eranfu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good thoughts. My reaction to that would be that perfection doesnt exist. Its all relative to where we are coming from and where we want to be. We have to judge ourselves as where we are in relation to that progression. Goals can always be broken down into smaller and smaller targets. Its all a matter of how we think about our progress and stay motivated to maintain committed to our goals and ideals.