Ignorance is bliss Mr. Solo Dolo's Avatar
    Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Is counting calories necessary?

I dont usually count calories, but i see many of you do. how do you go about counting calories? Sometimes you dont know how many calories a meal contains. Do you give an estimate... or how?

underPAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use FitDay.com to track my calories. They have a huge database of foods, but I usually add my foods manually (based on their nutrition labels).

For restaurant foods, you can get most of the data online. Most people would be shocked to know the calorie/macro count in their favorite restaurant dishes.

After doing this for awhile, you get a feel for counting calories, and you don't have to be as precise.

Ignorance is bliss Mr. Solo Dolo's Avatar
    Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Solo Dolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by underPAR View Post
    I use FitDay.com to track my calories. They have a huge database of foods, but I usually add my foods manually (based on their nutrition labels).

For restaurant foods, you can get most of the data online. Most people would be shocked to know the calorie/macro count in their favorite restaurant dishes.

After doing this for awhile, you get a feel for counting calories, and you don't have to be as precise.
    awesome man! thanks!

So Fly My Ash is Lined Up rainieravesouth's Avatar
    rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it's helpful for some, but definitely not necessary. you can make gains or lose fat without doing so.

just try it out and see if it's for you.
    - Rep "super stupid jeans" pics on sight

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it is for me, i'd probably undereat or overeat quite frequently if I did it that way. I hope to one day have enough experience to go by how I feel
    Who do men say that I am?

libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50) libert will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lately I've been estimating calories without logging in anything, with a bit of experience and reading labels it's not that hard really. Though I must say I've been using FitDay for a long time prior to this so I have a pretty good idea how many protein/calories certain foods have (e.g. chicken breast, eggs, milk). Seems to be working well for me.

So Fly My Ash is Lined Up rainieravesouth's Avatar
    rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by libert View Post
    Lately I've been estimating calories without logging in anything, with a bit of experience and reading labels it's not that hard really. Though I must say I've been using FitDay for a long time prior to this so I have a pretty good idea how many protein/calories certain foods have (e.g. chicken breast, eggs, milk). Seems to be working well for me.
    yeah, this is how i've been too. it may not be as exact, but is there really a difference between 2500 cals and 2600 cals? to the average joe just looking to get in shape, no. but if you're a pro BBer/ or in some contest, yes, you definitely want to count.
    Last edited by rainieravesouth; 02-19-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    - Rep "super stupid jeans" pics on sight

Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alphagame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Another good place to get information on food content is nutritiondata.com

EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You dont have to but it actually helps a lot. do it for a several days or a week, then if you decide it's to cumbersome you can just remember how many of what portions you had and use it for your future meals.

Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shakiluvr View Post
    I dont usually count calories, but i see many of you do. how do you go about counting calories? Sometimes you dont know how many calories a meal contains. Do you give an estimate... or how?
    Used to. Don't anymore. Unless you're actually micromanaging for a competition or very specific goals, it's counterproductive to be that anal retentive about your eating habits, because chances are that your body has a much clearer picture of your BMR+activity caloric expenditure than you do. And if you actually pay attention and eat right, you can much more accurately cover your caloric bases than by following fitday or calorie counting etc.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Our only limitations are the ones we accept.

Seeing how much I can increase strength, endurance, and athletic performance while maintaining approximately 190 lbs and single digit bf.

LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LS2Stew has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Ibballard View Post
    Used to. Don't anymore. Unless you're actually micromanaging for a competition or very specific goals, it's counterproductive to be that anal retentive about your eating habits, because chances are that your body has a much clearer picture of your BMR+activity caloric expenditure than you do. And if you actually pay attention and eat right, you can much more accurately cover your caloric bases than by following fitday or calorie counting etc.

This is the best answer so far, calorie counting is worthwhile for beginners to a diet but after a while you know how many calories are in a meal etc and can listen to your body a bit better.

angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) angelusnexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMO it is important to count calories at first. I know a lot of people that used to but do not anymore. I plan on counting for a few years and going off estimates after that. I have only been counting for 4-5 months and it is already very easy to eyeball things now.

At first though yeah I would count/weigh. Your perception of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter could actually be 4 tablespoons for example. Just that would be an additional 200 calories you did not know you were getting. Make mistakes like that throughout the day and what you think is a deficit could actually be an excess of calories.

gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gain20 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, i use to and still do sometimes when i try new foods. But now, i basically know how many calories are in certain foods, especially meats.

Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibballard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by angelusnexx View Post
    At first though yeah I would count/weigh. Your perception of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter could actually be 4 tablespoons for example. Just that would be an additional 200 calories you did not know you were getting. Make mistakes like that throughout the day and what you think is a deficit could actually be an excess of calories.
    I do agree with this. People have very wrong perceptions of the nutritional content of the foods they eat. They either vastly underestimate the calories in their junk food or so called "healthy food", or they overestimate the calories of their meals when trying to gain. Doesn't mean you need to track your calorie intake daily, but at least get a good baseline of what you're taking in, and how many calories the foods you eat have.
    I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Our only limitations are the ones we accept.

Seeing how much I can increase strength, endurance, and athletic performance while maintaining approximately 190 lbs and single digit bf.

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Unless you are a competitive physique athlete, no.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.