littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) littlechris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A little advice? LHW?

Hey guys.

I've been bulking for about five years straight and finally think I'm ready to enter a contest. Next may, there's a NPC show a state away that I'm going to enter. Note that it's not a WNBF contest.

Right now I'm 180 lbs of lean body weight and am 210 total (14% body fat), at 5'11". Had my stats checked in a hydrostatic dunk tank.

My goal is to spend the next seven months preparing for the show. With my lean body weight, is it reasonable to expect that I can compete as a LHW? Is that a realistic goal?

What will I learn in these seven months that I should know now, before I start?
    Last edited by littlechris; 10-06-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    - Get about 1.5 g of protein/lb of lean body weight/day
    - Take at least 40-50 g of whey protein immediately post-workout
    - Take 5 g of creatine monohydrate pre/post-workout
    - Take a daily multivitamin
    - Get at least 8 hours of quality sleep
    - Take 2 or 3 days/week off. Rest allows growth.

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by littlechris View Post
    Hey guys.

I've been bulking for about five years straight and finally think I'm ready to enter a contest. Next may, there's a NPC show a state away that I'm going to enter. Note that it's not a WNBF contest.

Right now I'm 180 lbs of lean body weight and am 210 total (14% body fat), at 5'11". Had my stats checked in a hydrostatic dunk tank.

My goal is to spend the next seven months preparing for the show. With my lean body weight, is it reasonable to expect that I can compete as a LHW? Is that a realistic goal?

i believe you are already at LHW. but at the bottom of the class.

first off if you got tested with calipers then you need to dump about 5-10 of LBM off that number because they always measure you at least 3-4% lower in bodyfat than what you are in actuality.

not trying to be harsh, but way too many people get focussed on what weight they are going to come in at and end up looking way too soft

asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50) asmolenski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by littlechris View Post
    Hey guys.

Since you got the hydrostatic test done its safe to say you really have 180 lbs lean mass. The LHW at my NPC show this past weekend was 176 to 198 lbs. So if you came in at say 4% without losing any lean mass along the way then you would be 187-188 lbs and right in the middle of the class. 7 months is a long time so I would take your time and dont try to rush the fat loss at the expense of lean mass. If you can afford one I would hire a coach. Mine not only helped me with diet and final contest prep but also with all of the things you need to deal with such as weight training and exercises geared toward enhancing your physique, stretching, cardio, supplements and how to take them, choosing the right posing trunks, tanning, posing and developing a posing routine, injuries, and one of the most overlooked aspects which is the mental game of dealing with hunger, fatigue and self doubt as you get closer to the show. Look for a coach who is available to you when you need him. I can call my coach any time on his cel phone and he always gets right back to me. Check out Seancalder.net and good luck.
    Dr Smo

liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by asmolenski View Post
    Since you got the hydrostatic test done its safe to say you really have 180 lbs lean mass. The LHW at my NPC show this past weekend was 176 to 198 lbs. So if you came in at say 4% without losing any lean mass along the way then you would be 187-188 lbs and right in the middle of the class. 7 months is a long time so I would take your time and dont try to rush the fat loss at the expense of lean mass. If you can afford one I would hire a coach. Mine not only helped me with diet and final contest prep but also with all of the things you need to deal with such as weight training and exercises geared toward enhancing your physique, stretching, cardio, supplements and how to take them, choosing the right posing trunks, tanning, posing and developing a posing routine, injuries, and one of the most overlooked aspects which is the mental game of dealing with hunger, fatigue and self doubt as you get closer to the show. Look for a coach who is available to you when you need him. I can call my coach any time on his cel phone and he always gets right back to me. Check out Seancalder.net and good luck.
    That's some good advice right there.

liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) liftjunkie06 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    And how much was the hydrostatic dunk tank?

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sorry did not read that it was hydrostatic dunking... my bad

Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Akers1021 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is always better to be at the TOP of any weight class obviously...I tried to come in as a LHW this season the first show and weighed in at 183...still placed 5th out of 7. I was the lightest of the class 195,193,196,190,183,197,192 were the weigh ins..as I wrote them down, lol. I knew it was going to be TOUGH and only placed because of my conditioning..I am 5'9" thats MY BIG problem...

Coming down to the middles for the next show SLICED was the smartest thing I did this year..also I was a HELLA of a lot drier. Did not do too bad
    Jason Akers
    2004 Greater Knox classic- 6th out out 14 Novice
    2005 Greater Knox classic- Jr. Light 4th, Knox-Lightweight 3rd
    2007 Battle at the River OPEN Welterweight 1st Place
    2008 Battle at the River OPEN Light-heavy 5th place
    2008 Knox Classic Middle-Weight 1st and OVERALL!!
    NATIONALLY QUALIFIED!