the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 167 :: What Are The Best Supplements For Increased Energy?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Best Supplements For Increased Energy?

For the week of: July 23rd - July 29th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why drag your tired body to the gym or through a day of work without the aid of an effective supplement?

What are the best supplements for increased energy?

How often should one use these supplements?

Are there any side effects to these supplements?

Which supplements would you not recommend using for increasing energy?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

PowerHouse88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Top supplements for energy

Supplementing is a great way to increase energy during workouts but you have to know what works.
    1) Ginseng it is one of several herbs that fall into the category of adaptogens, substances that help the body adapt to different types of stress, be it from exercise, work or keeping your spouse happy. Since stress tends to rob the body of energy, adaptogens are supposed to revitalize you, allowing you to get more out of your exercise and speeding up your recovery. Only use it for about two to three weeks then cycle off for a couple weeks. There is no major side effects if used according to the label.
    2) Caffine is also a great energy increaser similer to green tea extract, you can take it in a supplement or have some full stregth coffe, some people think that the side effects include stunting you growth but so far i have taken it for a long time and remain growing in hieght. Take it as long as you want and always before workouts. It can dehyderate you so drink plenty of water.
    3) B- Vitamens such as B12, Biotin, and Folic Acid, are some of the best nutritional energy supplements. Biotin for example, aids the body in the utilization of glucose?the body?s primary source of fuel. Vitamin B12 helps fight stress and fatigue, and is essential in the formation of RBC or red blood cells? closely linked to the body?s energy levels. Folic Acid, a form of vitamin B9, is also known to increase energy levels. There are no side effects if taken properly according to the label. Take them as a vitamen supplement with morning meals never on an empty stomach or you will just pee it out.

These supplements can be taken seperatly or as a stack. Some great products that i have tried that contain these ingredents are listed in order:

No Shotgun
    Lipo 6
    SuperPump 250
    Hydroxy Cut Hardcore
    No Explode
    Nano Vapor
    There are many other products like these but in my opinion when used properlly these work the best.

I dont recommend useing energy drinks as a main source of energy, even though they contain caffine ginseng and Bvitamins there has been studies done that state drinks like Red Bull wont increase endurance or energy unless you drink 4 or five at once. I think that everyone is different so one energy supplement that works for me might not work for you so i cant say that any supplement is reallky bad because iv used many and i see good results with all. Be sure to drink lots of water.
    Accomplishment is easiest when we work the hardest, and it is hardest when we work the easiest.

-current stack
    On 100% whey
    On Bcaa's
    Purple wraath
    Green Magintude
    White flood

Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Energy supplements can be categorized in two main groups: Stimulants and Energy Enhancers.

There are many wonderful stimulants available to increase your energy in the gym. The most popular of these is caffeine, a mild stimulant found in tea, coffee, chocolate and many other natural sources. For convenience sake Caffeine is also available in tablet form, or mixed into energy drinks. Other effective stimulants include Synephrine and Yohimbine HCl which are also available in tablet form and are present in many fat burning supplements.

Energy Enhancing supplements are often used to correct a deficiency. For example a B-Vitamin deficiency can cause feelings of lethargy, so many people will take a B-Complex to assist with energy levels. L-Carnitine is also often included in energy drinks to assist energy levels.
    Similarly, a creatine product such as Creatine Monohydrate or Creatine Ethyl-Ester assists in the creation of ATP (What cells use for energy), so creatine is also effective for an energy boost.

Stimulants should be cycled to avoid dependency. For example Caffeine intake should be downregulated every few weeks so the brain does not become addicted to it. However most energy enhancing supplements can be taken daily to insure consistent energy levels throughout the day.

Stimulants can aggravate anxiety, high blood pressure and irregular heartbeats, so if you have a history of these problems stimulants should be avoided. Overly high doses of other supplements (such as B-vitamins, L-Carnitine, creatine, etc.) can place undue stress on the Kidneys if too much is present in the body, so follow dosing instructions present with the supplements.

Ephedrine is a powerful stimulant, and should be avoided due to heart complications it can cause.

Brb cutting (no emo) 2.0Tsunami's Avatar
    2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1. The best supplement is a proper diet.
    2. Should be taken 6 days on, one day off
    3. Side effect may include but not limited to:
    Increased energy, increase mental focus, increase muscle mass, decrease in fat
    4. I don't recommend any energy supplements in pill form. If you are not getting enough energy, see # 1.

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Subscribed as a reminder to work on this over the weekend.

jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jross2021 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    nanovapor ftw.

Goutetsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goutetsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Goutetsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why drag your tired body to the gym or through a day of work without the aid of an effective supplement?

Tired? Weak? Lethargic? Don't put up with a slow working day and a lazy workout add a good energy supplement to turn those days around. Not only can they provide you with increased energy, they also allow for greater mental focus and endurance for better performance in and out of the gym.

Supplements containing stimulants (caffeine, synephrine, yohimbine hcl) should be held in high regard as these stimulants have been proven to be safe and effective when used in the appropriate doses. It is to no surprise that the best selling energy supplements contain at least 1 or a combination of these stimulants in their formulations. (eg Nutrex Lipo6 - contains all 3 stimulants)

A natural route which is favored by those who can not tolerate the use of stimulants is a B-vitamin complex. These supplements help replenish vitamin stores lost by physical exertion and also helps fight fatigue caused by free radicals in the body. Simple and effective.

Stimulants should not be taken for prolonged periods as the body can build somewhat of a dependence on them. Just like how you can crave a coffee hit, the same can be said with stimulants. On the days you feel you need a bit of a 'lift' feel free to take a stimulant based supplement, but if you feel you can do without, leave it for another time.

A B-vitamin complex should be considered like a multivitamin where if you feel you are not getting enough of your daily vitamin intake then take it to make sure you are not missing out on any of its benefits.

Stimulants in some can cause jitters, nervousness, sleeplessness, headaches and heart palpitations. As with all supplements do not abuse them. Be sure to follow all dosages/instructions on the label to minimize any side effects that may occur. If you suffer from a medical condition, check with your health care professional before commencing any supplement regime.

Energy drinks should not be used for increasing energy as they contain far too much sugar. They may be effective in the short term as they contain a fair amount of caffeine but they also are very high in calories and high glycemic carbohydrates which are not beneficial to your health or waistline.

thunder_thighs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What are the best supplements to increase energy?

)Why drag your tired body to the gym or a day of work without the aid of an effective supplement?:

There really is no reason to not use effective supplements for energy.

)What are the best supplements for increased energy?
    Caffeine is the most popular and and one of the most effective supplements for energy. However, your body can quickly develop tolerance to caffeine. Studies have shown that you can develop a tolerance to 300 mg of caffeine within 3 weeks, so cycling is definitely necessary. A supplement that is similar to caffeine is synepherine. Synephrine is closely related to the now banned ephedrine. Ephedrine was banned because of its negative effects on the cardiovascular system. Synephrine manages to avoid these problems because it uses different receptors in the body. Creatine is one of the most effective bodybuilding supplements but also works great for energy. It is produced naturally by the body and is used to regenerate ATP. ATP is the body's source for immediate energy. It you raise your hand, scratch your head, or squat 300 pounds, ATP is the first place your body goes to for energy. Other supplements for energy which I have found useful are B-vitamins and something called phosphatidyl serine. Contrary to popular belief, B-vitamins themselves will not give you energy, rather they will help release energy stored in carbohydrates. Phosphatidyl serine is derived from soy and helps blunt cortisol. High cortisol levels will not only inhibit your gains in muscle but make you feel run down. Some of the best supplements I have tried with these ingredients are as follows:

Lipo 6: Caffeine and synephrine
    NO XLODE: Creatine, synephrine, and B-vitamins
    NOW brand Phosphatidyl serine
    Speed Stacks: Synephrine

)How often should these supplements be used?
    As I mentioned with caffeine, since your body can develop a tolerance to these supplements (with the exception of B-vitamins) it's best to supplement on for 3-4 weeks, followed by at least one full week off. While on cycle, caffeine in servings of 200 mg, 2-3 times a day works well. Synephrine works best on dosages of 20-25 mg servings 2-3 times a day. If you have not taken synephrine before, I highly recommend starting with a low dose. For energy and cortisol blocking, phosphatidyl serine should be taken in doses of 500-800 milligrams 2 times daily, with one of the doses coming after a workout. For B-vitamins, just follow the labels directions. I've found taking them a half hour before workout works well though.

)Are there any side effects to these supplements?
    The most notable side effect from these supplements would come from caffeine and synephrine. Both supplements may cause "jittery-ness" and possibly sleeplessness depending on when they are taken. In high doses, they may cause irrtablility.

)Which supplements would you not recommend for energy?
    I would not recommend energy drinks containing high amounts of sugar, like rockstar or red bull. The sugar may give you an initial jolt but will have a sudden drop in energy.

dheepakh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    take animal cuts. it gave me a massive shot to hit the weights

Registered User bulidinmuscle22's Avatar
    bulidinmuscle22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NaNO Vapor gives me great results. I take it before i lift and even on the drive to to the gym i feel energized. It's very consistent and doesn't quit during my workout.

Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500) Steve943 is not very helpful. (-500)
    B complex, iron from meat.
    I would rather live an interesting 50 years than a dull 80.
    - Mariusz Pudzianowski

THEY SHOULD BE LEGAL. Do what you want! When it comes teens then it's a no-no! Society doesn't make sense. Steroids are a waste of tax dollars. Especially when we have guys blowing up buildings. It's just ridiculous...And they want to deal with steroids?!
    - Quincy Taylor

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My Entry (first in a long time!):
    Attached Files

Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000) Emil_Hudson is just really nice. (+1000)

There is absolutely no reason to step into the gym without taking an energy enhancing supplement. Stimulants allow you to train at a higher intensity, thus assuring that your time spent in the gym is used in the most effective manner possible. If you are not training at optimal exertion then you are cheating yourself by reducing the rate of your athletic progression.

Caffeine is the most proven and effective energy enhancing supplement in use today. Nearly all of the most popular energy supplements contain caffeine in some form, and this comes as no surprise when you consider the extensive list of benefits associated with its use. Some of these benefits include reduced perceived exertion, and increased cognitive function. Given the proven effectiveness of caffeine and the widespread use of it in supplements, this should be your first choice when looking for a boost in energy.

Vitamins/herbs/extracts - This refers to the B-vitamins, ginseng, green tea extract, chocamine, and synephrine. I group these supplements together because they all have the distinction of having a minimal perceived effect on energy levels when used alone. However, when you combine these supplements with caffeine their effects are significant. Chocamine is of particular interest because of the positive effect it has on ones mood. Do note that some of these supplements, namely chocamine and green tea extract, do contain some level of caffeine.

Stimulants are best used in a cyclical fashion. Tolerance greatly varies between individuals though, so it is best that one observes their own response over time. However, some may not find it necessary to stop taking their supplements at any point. As a general rule if you ever find that the suggested dose has no perceived effect on you then it is probably a good idea to stop use for one to two weeks.

Some users may notice rapid heartbeat and an increase in perceived body temperature. Increased sweating is noted by some when they use thermogenic stimulants. These supplements will likely make it more difficult to fall asleep, and will diminish sleep quality when used late in the day. Especially sensitive individuals should limit use to the first half of the day.

Heart palpitations are a possible side effect in rare circumstances. If you ever experience such an effect you should stop using the supplement immediately and contact a physician.

I would advise against using any of the beverages currently marketed as energy drinks. They contain excessive amounts of sugar and only a token amount of vitamins. Any energy enhancing supplement from BodyBuilding.com would prove more healthy, cost effective, and useful.

eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    congrats stonecold - I'm sure you've won since you were the only reasonable entry (and over 500 words)

Originally Posted by eagles56 View Post
    congrats stonecold - I'm sure you've won since you were the only reasonable entry (and over 500 words)
    Thanks! Hopefully I won't have to wait the full 8-9 weeks then to get my credit, muwhahah.

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i was going to write on this one.. but didnt. I shoulda . thanks for the read SCT, now come back to CL boards.

Originally Posted by jdiritto View Post
    i was going to write on this one.. but didnt. I shoulda . thanks for the read SCT, now come back to CL boards.
    Thanks! Did you like the article?

SCT

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea, hit all the basics with good depth of knowledge and clarity in details

Originally Posted by jdiritto View Post
    Yea, hit all the basics with good depth of knowledge and clarity in details
    I considered going into quite a few more advanced stimulants but didn't want to have to dumb down the explanations. I'm going to keep entering I think just to try and build up some good store credit.. I need lots of IntrAbolic..