Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

how does eating too little not cause weight loss?

Topic.

Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TDK350 View Post
    Topic.
    It doesn't. Lot's of people will try and tell you about 'starvation mode' where you body drastically drops it's metabolic rate to stop weight loss. While this does occur to some extent, it's not as large as people make out.

Very low calorie diets, in the region of 800-1200 calories a day, are used extremely effectively in the clinical world to rapidly drop weight from severely obese patients.

The bad thing about very low calorie is you will lose a larger proportion of muscle mass than is desirable. So for a person who is just overweight, having a slight calorie deficit is more beneficial to preserve lean mass and drop fat. Also a slow weight loss is more sustainable in the long term.

sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    like the above poster mentioned.. it does cause weight loss.. but includes lean body mass loss and fat.

so if you like the anorexic or skinny fat look then go for it, just remember that if you stop the severe calorie restriction then you'll probably gain all the weight back and then some.. but as fat.. the muscle won't come back as quickly if at all).. so in the end you'll be fatter than before at the same weight (or heavier).

Fat Loss Hedge Fund The_Contrarian's Avatar
    The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50) The_Contrarian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    It doesn't. Lot's of people will try and tell you about 'starvation mode' where you body drastically drops it's metabolic rate to stop weight loss. While this does occur to some extent, it's not as large as people make out.

Very low calorie diets, in the region of 800-1200 calories a day, are used extremely effectively in the clinical world to rapidly drop weight from severely obese patients.

The bad thing about very low calorie is you will lose a larger proportion of muscle mass than is desirable. So for a person who is just overweight, having a slight calorie deficit is more beneficial to preserve lean mass and drop fat. Also a slow weight loss is more sustainable in the long term.
    Easily mitigated with a high protein diet. Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet that was used in a clinical trial to treat obese subjects was effective in dropping fat mass while increasing lean mass (they were on like 1000 calories a day), pure protein, no carbs diet.
    "Current trades: Shorting fat, going long on muscle"

Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000) Wowzer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The_Contrarian View Post
    Easily mitigated with a high protein diet. Protein Sparing Modified Fast diet that was used in a clinical trial to treat obese subjects was effective in dropping fat mass while increasing lean mass (they were on like 1000 calories a day), pure protein, no carbs diet.
    True, and since most people on this board are also doing some form of resistance training, the loss of lean mass will be even more minimal. Or as you said, could even gain lean mass.

Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike263 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lyle McDonald says to lift to prevent the muscle loss while restricting calories.

ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElayneTrakand has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Wowzer View Post
    True, and since most people on this board are also doing some form of resistance training, the loss of lean mass will be even more minimal. Or as you said, could even gain lean mass.
    Most people on this board claim to only be a few hundred calories out of deficit but still lose muscle while losing weight as well even though everyone here on these boards knows to take lots and lots of protein.

canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It does cause weight loss, but it also causes muscle loss. I know this because i've experienced it without even releasing. I wanted to lose weight so bad last year, I went from 170 to 158 and looked WORSE than I looked at 170 because I was eating way way way too little and running anyhwere from 4-13 miles 3x a week while training for a half marathon.

Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by canuhandleit View Post
    It does cause weight loss, but it also causes muscle loss. I know this because i've experienced it without even releasing. I wanted to lose weight so bad last year, I went from 170 to 158 and looked WORSE than I looked at 170 because I was eating way way way too little and running anyhwere from 4-13 miles 3x a week while training for a half marathon.
    yea, when i initially lost the weight i didnt lift and just did cardio to lose weight and now i look terrible. Im trying to fix that by trying to lose 25lbs of fat and get down to about 150lbs then bulk back up to 175.

timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As long as you are continuing to lift heavy and eating enough protein, i doubt you will see much muscle loss

SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sbbc View Post

so if you like the anorexic or skinny fat look then go for it, just remember that if you stop the severe calorie restriction then you'll probably gain all the weight back and then some.. but as fat.. the muscle won't come back as quickly if at all).. so in the end you'll be fatter than before at the same weight (or heavier).

I put myself on a 1000 calorie a day diet and lost 90 lbs in 6 months. Yes I lost some muscle, but I by no means look anywhere near anorexic, the majority of weight lost was fat. and I now eat a 2500 calorie diet (on a cut) and the weight is dropping about 2 lbs a week. when I did eat more than needed, my weight did not drastically balloon up like you suggest, I put on weight by the amount I ate and I lose by how much I don't eat. My muscle that I did lose is coming back just nicely.

Think before you post broscience.

quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quest55720 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SpiceAddict View Post
    I put myself on a 1000 calorie a day diet and lost 90 lbs in 6 months. Yes I lost some muscle, but I by no means look anywhere near anorexic, the majority of weight lost was fat. and I now eat a 2500 calorie diet (on a cut) and the weight is dropping about 2 lbs a week. when I did eat more than needed, my weight did not drastically balloon up like you suggest, I put on weight by the amount I ate and I lose by how much I don't eat. My muscle that I did lose is coming back just nicely.

Think before you post broscience.
    Everyone is different I am glad it worked for you. It did not work in my case I just pissed away muscle and months of hard work. I am still paying the price of to few calories and to much cardio. It is something I will never try again because it simply does not work for me.

SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpiceAddict has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by quest55720 View Post
    Everyone is different I am glad it worked for you. It did not work in my case I just pissed away muscle and months of hard work. I am still paying the price of to few calories and to much cardio. It is something I will never try again because it simply does not work for me.
    It worked for me, but it did have its consequences. I was just pointing out that he was making a big exaggeration that seems common on the boards. And I never did any cardio, I was towing big rigs I realize everyone is different, but to state such broad exaggerations is unnecessary.

scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrummie2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, what people said on muscle loss. The issue being of course that it is hard as hell to add muscle mass, much harder then it is to lose it in my opinion, and although the canned advice is "cut first, worry about bulking later" given the amount of time it takes me to add new muscle mass I'd rather lose weight slowly and not risk catabolism then just drop 50 pounds in two months and then worry about bulking.

The thing is everyone has different bodies, and you have to cut long enough to figure out what works for you. I can run a 1200 calories deficit and not drop any muscle as long as I take in enough protein, I've found. Any more than that and I start feeling weak in the gym. The key for me is to journal and have a good database of information so that you can conduct informed analysis on what your body can support. Just because some other guy can only run a 500 calorie deficit before dropping into starvation mode doesn't mean that is what will happen to you, you got to figure it out based on your own physiology.
    "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure." - Thomas Edison

4/6/2008: 237 lbs, 25-27% BF
    6/20/2008: 218 lbs, 17%-ish BF
    6/28/2008: 214 lbs, 16%-ish BF
    7/11/2008: 212 lbs, 15%-ish BF
    7/17/2008: 210 lbs, 14-15%-ish BF
    9/8/2008: 202 lbs, 11-12% BF
    01/10/2009: 210 lbs, 14% BF
    11/17/2009: 232 lbs, 18% BF

No mas bulking

The Shlong in Hong Kong gorilla69's Avatar
    gorilla69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gorilla69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gorilla69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    because the world sucks
    "Overtraining" is the most overused word on this website.....

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Was on a roughly 1200-1400 cal/day intake for 3 months. Very high protein, low carb, extremely low fat. Check out the Before & After pictures in my Profile to see how much muscle mass I lost.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bloody'ell BuckSpin you lost so much weight for so a short time well done.

Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lift062406 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try to lift 6 days a week for 30-45 min, 30g protein every 3 hours, cut carbs to 50g, keep the fat to cheese and almonds, no cardio.

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    Was on a roughly 1200-1400 cal/day intake for 3 months. Very high protein, low carb, extremely low fat. Check out the Before & After pictures in my Profile to see how much muscle mass I lost.
    Proof in the pudding there, awesome job man!

Shut up and train. stealth_maven's Avatar
    stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500) stealth_maven is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
    Proof in the pudding there, awesome job man!
    Why extremely low fat? That's a dumb move.

Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tlee055 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Amazing results tho! Looks like it worked for him, I'm still pretty amazed, Every day he would of noticed a slight difference.

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tlee055 View Post
    Bloody'ell BuckSpin you lost so much weight for so a short time well done.
    Thanks! I worked very hard at it, and it came off faster than even I expected.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

Originally Posted by stealth_maven View Post
    Why extremely low fat? That's a dumb move.
    Logical - I provided a LOT of protein and not a lot of carbs. My body went looking for fat sources & found a huge, unlimited supply - me! Temper that with all the circuit style work I was doing (a LOT of bodyweight, low dumbbell & resistance bands) and it came off. I think my After picture (and my most recent "Spiderman" one) shows I didn't come out of it "skinny fat" or depleted.

canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50) canuhandleit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lol, if you did it the right way, you would have ended up with a lot more muscle on your frame. But I guess whatever works, works. Some people don't mind sacrificing muscle for a quick fat loss cycle.

mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50) mpipes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The dude's 6' tall and 190lbs, he's got PLENTY of muscle as it is.

blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    Whenever you low carb, you have to up your fats. You didnt = muscle loss
    You do look great at your age though - props

ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ultragymrat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by blapblapblow View Post
    Whenever you low carb, you have to up your fats. You didnt = muscle loss
    ...can you elaborate? I hear ya', but I do low cal, low carb, low fat, high protein and am interested to hear your reasoning for fat intake.

As to the original question I agree with The_Contrarian...is that an oxymoron?
    Buck Fifty or Bust!

current stack:

NitroTech Hardcore
    BodyFortress SuperAdvanced
    TwinLab AminoFuel 1000
    Twinlab Ripped Fuel
    and good ol' Green Tea

The dude's 6' tall and 190lbs, he's got PLENTY of muscle as it is.
    I'm busting my tail to have "that" build! And thanks for the compliment!

LOL! Thanks! Hard to believe it was only about 150 days ago I was the "Before". I honestly have trouble remembering it.

Whenever you low carb, you have to up your fats.
    That's not a de-facto standard requirement of low carb dieting.

Increasing fat intake is a way for some people to make their restricted diet more tolerable because fat is filling and makes food taste better, but if the greatest calorie deficit is required, lowered fat intake along with lowered carb intake and plenty of protein is the way to go. This is what's known as protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) where between increased protein intake, lifting and minimal cardio work, muscle mass is spared while fat is stripped away at lightning speed.

scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scrilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's not a de-facto standard requirement of low carb dieting.

Increasing fat intake is a way for some people to make their restricted diet more tolerable because fat is filling and makes food taste better, but if the greatest calorie deficit is required, lowered fat intake along with lowered carb intake and plenty of protein is the way to go. This is what's known as protein sparing modified fast (PSMF) where between increased protein intake, lifting and minimal cardio work, muscle mass is spared while fat is stripped away at lightning speed.

If i went on a high protein, low carb, low fat diet, what would i use for energy? Protein? I would rather eat more fats and save the protein, by using fat for energy. Read BuckSpin's post. He went high protein, low carb, low fat and lost mega muscle