Closed Thread
Page 6 of 290 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast
    DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WFKA View Post
    I'm pretty sure I asked that exact same question before and the advice given to me was just to OHP and curl the 20kg bar on all days. Or maybe that was me who decided that when I was 16/17. I don't think it makes much sense to OHP and curl the 20kg bar on all days when I'm already really struggling. That was probably part of the reason why I was having trouble. Thankfully my 16/17 year old self kept a workout journal so I can fix any mistakes I might have made! I'll probably switch it up when I start going and use DBs if I still can't OHP or curl the bar.

I was doing the mandatory warm ups, but I wasn't doing any warm ups for OHP and curls. I had no trouble doing the three exercises that have mandatory warm ups with the bar though, and honestly it just made it a lot easier than having to use DBs and then go back to the BB and then back to the DBs.

I'm writing up a word document at the moment with all the nutrition info and this routine. I pretty much know everything I learnt before and more. Now I gotta buy stuff for the gym, get a membership and then I'll test out my 10 rep maxes again. I just wanted to get my knowledge back up to scratch before I even bother going.
    No problem! It's common advice in the thread to do the just the bar all days if you can only use the bar, but the other half of that is "if that doesn't impact your recovery and ability to make gains". Since it does, do less than the bar on medium and light days, by all means.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OryxOryx View Post
    1) Should my elbows be moving at all during curls?

2) Next workout I'll be bumping my SLDL to 199. I'm a bit worried that my grip will fail me. Does anyone have any idea if grinding up blackboard chalk (calcium sulfate) would work like weightlifting chalk (magnesium carbonate)?
    Elbow shouldnt move, if does you are "shouldering" it up.

No you cant use black board chalk for lifting, if you add water to it it becomes Plaster of Paris. On top of that its kinda like bar lube(very soft) vs carbonate which increases friction so you can grip.

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    On this program, by the time the program gets too fast; bw bench for 10 and 1.5x bw squat for 10. Most dont hit the squat goal, but most are working above bw by the end.

As for being well rounded:
    Squat should be the highest
    OHP should be 60% or higher of your bench
    Row should be around your bench (+-20%)
    SLDL should be less than your squat, if its higher double check your form
    Calf raise anything goes since its cosmetic, The golden ratio for body building is having the neck/forearm/calf the same diameter
    Curls anything goes, but it would be nice if you can get in a couple of chinups
    Is that a 100% guaranteed circumstance with SLDL? Previously when I started this routine, my squat was 35kg and my SLDL was 45kg (both including the bar). I didn't feel like my form was off though... Squats did feel a little bit more difficult if I remember correctly, but I felt like that was because of a lack of energy from being on a 1k calorie deficit.
    Last edited by WFKA; 10-20-2015 at 09:05 AM.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WFKA View Post
    Is that a 100% guaranteed circumstance with SLDL? Previously when I started this routine, my squat was 35kg and my SLDL was 45kg (both including the bar). I didn't feel like my form was off though... Squats did feel a little bit more difficult if I remember correctly, but I felt like that was because of a lack of energy from being on a 1k calorie deficit.
    That is the end game numbers. Starting most bench more than they squat.

If you look at ROM and leverages(weight over mid foot vs beyond toes), there is no way in hell an experienced squatter can deficit SLDL more than they can squat.

WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WFKA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That is the end game numbers. Starting most bench more than they squat.

If you look at ROM and leverages(weight over mid foot vs beyond toes), there is no way in hell an experienced squatter can deficit SLDL more than they can squat.
    Ah, that's fair enough. I thought you were saying it as a general rule of thumb to begin with rather than end game numbers. Thanks for clearing that up .

iaj222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can someone provide a link to the novice version of this routine? I did a search and couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.

DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrakHarr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by iaj222 View Post
    Can someone provide a link to the novice version of this routine? I did a search and couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.
    The novice is a more advanced version for people stalling near the end of the program's lifespan. I believe it's the same thing but there's 3 sets capping off at 8 reps instead of 2 sets capping off at 12.

gmaba001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2 Questions.

How long should I rest between exercises? For example, after I've finished my squats, how long do I wait before starting my benches?

Also, are lying leg raises good for working the abs? I'm doing 3 sets of 15 reps at the moment.

Novice is just switching "up to" the first 3 lifts to 3 sets of 4-8 reps, with the same 90 seconds or less rest. You will notice test day still takes 24 reps

Originally Posted by gmaba001 View Post
    2 Questions.

How long should I rest between exercises? For example, after I've finished my squats, how long do I wait before starting my benches?

No rest between exercise. If you are good you can complete the session in under 45min, some can do it in 30min on light day 8 rep week with 30 second rests between sets.

The exercise order keeps you from hitting the muscle back to back, so you are resting muscles for about 10min inbetween say squats and SLDL or bench and OHP.

Also, are lying leg raises good for working the abs? I'm doing 3 sets of 15 reps at the moment.

Originally Posted by gmaba001 View Post
    2 Questions.

Abs are pretty much as needed. I haven't added abs yet, though I'm starting cycle 3 next week so I might then.

You're better off with resistance exercises, generally, but it's not like leg lifts are going to impede your progress.

And it's no rest between exercises, yeah, though I sometimes take about a minute or so on heavy day if I'm winded, as I don't want being winded to be the reason I stall on another exercise. If you're catching your breath or whatever, I wouldn't wait more than a minute or 90 seconds between an exercise, much as you don't wait more than 90 seconds between sets. I admit I broke that rule this last test day because throwing up took more than 90 seconds >_>

iaj222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Novice is just switching "up to" the first 3 lifts to 3 sets of 4-8 reps, with the same 90 seconds or less rest. You will notice test day still takes 24 reps
    Got it, thanks. Since total number of reps stays the same on test day, should I stick with the same weights? For example, if I'm squatting 225 for 8-12 reps on the beginner program, would I squat 225 for 4-8 on the novice version?
    Last edited by iaj222; 10-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Got it, thanks. Since total number of reps stays the same on test day, should I stick with the same weights? For example, if I'm squatting 225 for 8-12 reps on the beginner program, would I squat 225 for 4-8 on the novice version?
    Technically you would squat 10% higher on novice in order to stay at the same RPE. However what normally happens is you "get to" squat 225 for 8-12 since you passed test day, then you realize there is no way in hell that is happening, so you switch to novice so you get that extra 90 seconds of rest.

At 225 for 8-12, you might be the 2nd best squatter on the program in the last year, we did have one guy that got 245, but he was also 225lbs.

Today was medium day of the last week, kicked my ass, but I got all the reps. Squats were particularly hard, after I finished my last one in the second set I realized I had used my heavy weight instead of medium weight >_>. Still felt easier than monday despite less rest and being after a heavy day, so I think I was definitely affected by that congestion on heavy day. Still not gonna move up or try OHP again. Think my body is adjusting well to the deep cut I put myself on, less hunger the past few days, but the weight is still coming off, and I feel less "blah" and less energy loss.

BartAllen2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nightanole, I know you've spoken of this; but how do I decide which starting weight to use for each of them?

On one of the images included in the thread, syncmaster913n posted his routine which started with 35kg for Squats and 32.5kg for the Bench Press; but my question is how did he come to the realization that 35kg was the appropriate starting weight for the Squats, or 32.5kg for the Bench Press etc?

Originally Posted by BartAllen2 View Post
    Nightanole, I know you've spoken of this; but how do I decide which starting weight to use for each of them?

On one of the images included in the thread, syncmaster913n posted his routine which started with 35kg for Squats and 32.5kg for the Bench Press; but my question is how did he come to the realization that 35kg was the appropriate starting weight for the Squats, or 32.5kg for the Bench Press etc?
    You mess around with the weights, find weights you can lift 12 times or less. Then you do the routine with the weights selected. Squats you might get a set of 7 and a set of 5 , or a set of 12 and set of 12, etc. You after that you need to recalculate so you can do all the exercises in order, for sets of 10. You then start the routine at 8 reps so you have 2 weeks to build up conditioning for 2 sets of 10.

Here is an easy rep chart:

So if on your start test you did 5 reps, you need to loose about 13% of the weight to get in another 4-5 reps to get to 10.

Snaketaku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How hard should lifting heavy feel?

I am currently in the beginning of of my 5th cycle and I may be lifting too much. I suspect I will start failing sets on squad, bench and deadlift next week if not the week after, and ultimately be unable to complete the test day in a few weeks. Merely the thought about "heavy day" after this weekend is a bit unnerving.

This made me think about what the lifting should feel like. At the moment I can complete the heavy sets for the exercises but to be honest, I almost always need to take a few seconds of pause in between reps, just holding the weight in an easy position, so that I can catch my breath and complete the set. In comparison, the "light days" feel much smoother, and I'm also positive that my form is better and muscle contractions are being held for a few seconds on each rep where appropriate.

The heavy days are really draining me and it almost feels like I get less from them compared with the lighter days because it takes a lot of my "exercise/movement control" away giving it everything I have to complete heavy sets. My legs/arms begin to feel like boiled spaghetti during the sets and I feel weak.

My numbers are: Squat 176 lbs, bench 143 lbs, SLDL 176 lbs.

1) What does your heavy day feel like? Is it like mine?
    2) Exactly how important is it that I progress as fast as I can (within the programs parameters) with heavy weights?
    3) Would I be on to something, if I started lifting a bit lighter (which feels better) at the cost of progression on weights?

Originally Posted by Snaketaku View Post
    How hard should lifting heavy feel?

I am currently in the beginning of of my 5th cycle and I may be lifting too much. I suspect I will start failing sets on squad, bench and deadlift next week if not the week after, and ultimately be unable to complete the test day in a few weeks. Merely the thought about "heavy day" after this weekend is a bit unnerving.

This made me think about what the lifting should feel like. At the moment I can complete the heavy sets for the exercises but to be honest, I almost always need to take a few seconds of pause in between reps, just holding the weight in an easy position, so that I can catch my breath and complete the set. In comparison, the "light days" feel much smoother, and I'm also positive that my form is better and muscle contractions are being held for a few seconds on each rep where appropriate.

The heavy days are really draining me and it almost feels like I get less from them compared with the lighter days because it takes a lot of my "exercise/movement control" away giving it everything I have to complete heavy sets. My legs/arms begin to feel like boiled spaghetti during the sets and I feel weak.

My numbers are: Squat 176 lbs, bench 143 lbs, SLDL 176 lbs.

1) What does your heavy day feel like? Is it like mine?
    2) Exactly how important is it that I progress as fast as I can (within the programs parameters) with heavy weights?
    3) Would I be on to something, if I started lifting a bit lighter (which feels better) at the cost of progression on weights?
    week 1: RPE 8
    week 2: RPE 8.5
    week 3: RPE 9
    week 4: RPE 9.5
    week 5: RPE 10

If week 5 feels like RPE 8-8.5 you might be able to bump 15%

Else you are on cycle 5 of a 5-7 cycle program. You can extend it by switching to either novice (changing up to the first 3 lifts to 3 sets of 4-8 reps with the same 90 second or less rest) or switch to autoregulated so you can progress at less than 10% bumps:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1376160513

ashishsingh027 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Newbie

Hello everyone here , please help..
    i am doing gym since last 2 months ..
    My height 5 feet 10 inches.
    My weight is just 60 kg .

And i train one day Whole arm (Biceps , triceps , shoulders) and other day Chest and lats .. [ legs i do every day ].
    but i cant see much improvement .
    I take good Diet .
    Like [ 6 bananas , 4 eggs , Milk , sweetPotato , Chicket (but not regularly,just twice in a week ) .
    No External suppliments ( like protien shakes .. As i cant afford them , still a student and not earning ).
    And i look skinny so i need to gain weight ..
    So please guide me and it will be very helpfull if you can tell me what exercises i should do in gym in detail as in that gym we dont have any trainer ..
    Please help ..

Originally Posted by ashishsingh027 View Post
    Hello everyone here , please help..
    i am doing gym since last 2 months ..
    My height 5 feet 10 inches.
    My weight is just 60 kg .

And i train one day Whole arm (Biceps , triceps , shoulders) and other day Chest and lats .. [ legs i do every day ].
    but i cant see much improvement .
    I take good Diet .
    Like [ 6 bananas , 4 eggs , Milk , sweetPotato , Chicket (but not regularly,just twice in a week ) .
    No External suppliments ( like protien shakes .. As i cant afford them , still a student and not earning ).
    And i look skinny so i need to gain weight ..
    So please guide me and it will be very helpfull if you can tell me what exercises i should do in gym in detail as in that gym we dont have any trainer ..
    Please help ..
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139911893

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

Snaketaku has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    week 1: RPE 8
    week 2: RPE 8.5
    week 3: RPE 9
    week 4: RPE 9.5
    week 5: RPE 10

If week 5 feels like RPE 8-8.5 you might be able to bump 15%

Else you are on cycle 5 of a 5-7 cycle program. You can extend it by switching to either novice (changing up to the first 3 lifts to 3 sets of 4-8 reps with the same 90 second or less rest) or switch to autoregulated so you can progress at less than 10% bumps:
    Thanks for all the great information, nightanole!

I have a question I figured would have been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere. I know it's not for me at this stage but is it possible to combine novice with auto-regulated? They don't seem exclusive and the ability to work with heavier weights while auto-regulating seems appealing.

Originally Posted by Snaketaku View Post
    Thanks for all the great information, nightanole!

I have a question I figured would have been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere. I know it's not for me at this stage but is it possible to combine novice with auto-regulated? They don't seem exclusive and the ability to work with heavier weights while auto-regulating seems appealing.
    It doesnt matter if its 2 sets or 3 sets, its still going to be a 24 rep test day

Combining the 2 is pushing the limit. Remember the intermediate version 2 is 4 sets of 4-8 reps twice a week, and it is not sustainable for more that a few months (it is it's own meso cycle) before it needs switched out with a lower volume routine.

Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I have a quite a few questions, hope I can get some answers on a few

Should I be feeling any tightness/soreness in my lower back on this routine? Does it indicate that I'm using poor form?

Also, what activity factor should I use when calculating my TDEE considering I'm only doing this routine (with maybe some basketball/cardio on rest days)?

One thing that's really been bugging me is how the weights I use for my warmups and medium/light days. Considering I've started with just the bar (or bar +5/10 pounds on a couple of exercises), the logistics of using 10/20% less or even 1/4 or 1/2 the weight is difficult. Are there any general practices when this is the case?

Last thing, regarding this post:

As for being well rounded:
    Squat should be the highest
    OHP should be 60% or higher of your bench
    Row should be around your bench (+-20%)
    SLDL should be less than your squat, if its higher double check your form
    Calf raise anything goes since its cosmetic, The golden ratio for body building is having the neck/forearm/calf the same diameter
    Curls anything goes, but it would be nice if you can get in a couple of chinups
    Since most of my lifts are around the same weight, how would they progress at this rate? As in, how would one weight surpass another, if all weights increase by 10% each cycle (provided I complete all the reps of course)? Does that mean I will invariably fail certain cycles on certain lifts? The fact that my SLDL is higher than my squat by 5lb when it should be less apparently, leads me to believe I'm probably doing it with the wrong form which could explain the lower back tightness.

Sorry to ask so many questions, any help is appreciated.

Originally Posted by Cynic3 View Post
    I have a quite a few questions, hope I can get some answers on a few

Should I be feeling any tightness/soreness in my lower back on this routine? Does it indicate that I'm using poor form?

Also, what activity factor should I use when calculating my TDEE considering I'm only doing this routine (with maybe some basketball/cardio on rest days)?

One thing that's really been bugging me is how the weights I use for my warmups and medium/light days. Considering I've started with just the bar (or bar +5/10 pounds on a couple of exercises), the logistics of using 10/20% less or even 1/4 or 1/2 the weight is difficult. Are there any general practices when this is the case?

Last thing, regarding this post:

Since most of my lifts are around the same weight, how would they progress at this rate? As in, how would one weight surpass another, if all weights increase by 10% each cycle (provided I complete all the reps of course)? Does that mean I will invariably fail certain cycles on certain lifts? The fact that my SLDL is higher than my squat by 5lb when it should be less apparently, leads me to believe I'm probably doing it with the wrong form which could explain the lower back tightness.

Sorry to ask so many questions, any help is appreciated.
    Nutrition calculators are never right. If you want to play with them, you would be running at an activity factor of 1.2 if all you do is this program and some cardio. The base nutrition i recommend when starting the program is 100 grams of fats/protein and 200-300 grams of carbs, it ends up to being a little over 2000 cals. If you are above 18% and not dropping a pound a week using those macros, you are going to need some cardio, since i dont recommend going below that as a male.

If you are working with around the bar, first warmup should be a ROM warmup with a plastic pipe or broom handlle, then the bar, then your workset weight, even if its just the bar. At this strength level you cant tax yourself enough that and extra 2-3 sets of just the bar wont rob recovery. You are not going to be able to pull that off once you are working at 2/3-3/4 bw.

Those stats i posted are what your lifts should look like after 5-7 cycles once the routine has done its job. Lifts you are really good at right now will start to stall, and lifts you suck at now will go up really fast.

Lower back tightness is either due to the fact its the first six weeks of a new program, or you are "backing it up" on the SLDL. You shouldnt be flexing your spine on any lift in this program. You are making your back stronger on this program by varying the angle of attack of the weight on your back.

To help with the tightness, i recommend daily warmup squats if you can. This keeps the muscles from tightening up after a hard workout. A muscles response to heavy work is to tighten up/get shorter in order to protect itself, it knows a shorter rom will limit the possibly of damage. That is why all beginner programs use compounds with a huge range of motion. You are basically doing dynamic stretching every time you work out. You put weight on your back and squat, and each time you get a wee bit more rom. If you just do light squats daily (or what ever tight body part) it doesnt give the muscles time to tighten up.

Diancecht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've lost around 22lbs (201 to 179) based on eating between 1600-1800 calories per day but I’ve had difficulty increasing my strength and progressive overload on the allpro routine.

I decided to follow your recommendation to eat at least 2000 calories per day based on 100g protein/fats and at least 200g carbs. I‘m also doing liss cardio x3-4 times per week for 45 mins on a air dyne exercise bike and measuring arms, waist, chest etc. every week and the measurements haven’t budged and my weight is still the same as it was 4 weeks ago, and it still feels like it’s not helping with my strength gains for some of the exercises. I dont think I feel any weaker though, just don't feel any stronger from when i started the routine.

I'm not sure what to do, ideally i want to get down to 10% bf then concentrate on putting as much muscle on as i can but at the moment it feels like trying to eat more to gain strength/muscle while cutting isnt working for me.

Any ideas what i can do different or should i just stick it out eating 2000 cals per day and give it a few more weeks?
    Last edited by Diancecht; 10-23-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Past a certain point you won't progress much if at all when cutting. If you're still maintaining your lifts through a cut, that is still good, depending on how deep the cut is.

Official end of cycle 2 for me. 184.5 lb start - 172.2 lb end.

Squats are going from 135-145.
    Bench press from 120-130.
    BOR from 85-95
    OHP from 75-75 (blah)
    SLDL from 110-120.
    Curls from 65-70.
    Calf raises from 120-135 (using a 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 rep scheme).

A few questions.

1. I'm still concerned about my row lagging. Should I replace curls with upright rows? Not sure if this would actually help my back catch up or just cause it to stall sooner being on a cut, or if it really matters at all.
    2. Should I start adding ab exercises on off days? If so, I was thinking a heavy and a light day, tuesday and thursday, with something like this:
    Oblique cable crunches - 60 lbs (per side) 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 reps
    Cable crunches - 80 lbs, same rep scheme.
    Smith machine hip thrusts (the kind where you put your feet on the bar and raise your hips off the bench to raise the bar, not the one that looks like you're humping the bar right on top of you - there's a video I can embed when I get home and off my phone on bb.com, I think it's Jim Stopani showing it) - 135 lbs (probably 8-12 rep range for that one)
    Is that a balanced ab routine? I really have no experience for ab exercises.

Without a perfect diet(which includes taking weekly bloodwork) its going to be really hard to look good, and have a TDEE of only 2500 cals (my 2000 cal diet +500 deficit). You are much better off increasing the liss, and adding mass/performance. 15-20lbs of muscle (the first 1-2 years of lifting) will lift your TDEE about 1000 cals. You need to play the long game with 10%. Get the n00b 10-15lbs of muscle, then slow cut (while adding a wee bit to lifts) down. The whole 1 gram of protein per pound thing came from studying 5 year lifters. Well guess what, 5 year lifters have a TDEE of 3500-4000 cals. For some 10 year lifters 4500 cals is a deep cut. Now take a 3500-4500 cal diet, and find any whole food combo that gets less than 1 gram per pound.

Drakharr:
    1) row is currently increasing faster than bench in terms of percentage. On light day this week you can try a set of 10 of 100-105lbs to see if you can bump up the BOR alittle more. An accessory would be pendlay rows, taking hands off the bar between reps, i would try for 135lbs (1 plate), you might only get in 1-2 reps. You could do these any time and much as you want, either directly after the workout, or on off days.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weu9HMHdiDA

2) ive listed my cant cheat ab recommendations a few times in the last 2 weeks. Static hold ab exercises will provide the most carry over to main lifts. I see it as a good exercise if you dont have to have your feet held, if you are bucking off the feet(situps), you are cheating with the hips.

Without a perfect diet(which includes taking weekly bloodwork) its going to be really hard to look good, and have a TDEE of only 2500 cals (my 2000 cal diet +500 deficit). You are much better off increasing the liss, and adding mass/performance. 15-20lbs of muscle (the first 1-2 years of lifting) will lift your TDEE about 1000 cals. You need to play the long game with 10%. Get the n00b 10-15lbs of muscle, then slow cut (while adding a wee bit to lifts) down. The whole 1 gram of protein per pound thing came from studying 5 year lifters. Well guess what, 5 year lifters have a TDEE of 3500-4000 cals. For some 10 year lifters 4500 cals is a deep cut. Now take a 3500-4500 cal diet, and find any whole food combo that gets less than 1 gram per pound.

Drakharr:
    1) row is currently increasing faster than bench in terms of percentage. On light day this week you can try a set of 10 of 100-105lbs to see if you can bump up the BOR alittle more. An accessory would be pendlay rows, taking hands off the bar between reps, i would try for 135lbs (1 plate), you might only get in 1-2 reps. You could do these any time and much as you want, either directly after the workout, or on off days.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weu9HMHdiDA

2) ive listed my cant cheat ab recommendations a few times in the last 2 weeks. Static hold ab exercises will provide the most carry over to main lifts. I see it as a good exercise if you dont have to have your feet held, if you are bucking off the feet(situps), you are cheating with the hips.
    Sadly, light day was today. I suppose I could bump it to 100 instead of 95 and see how it feels for me next week. Should I add pendalay rows at the end next week then, the beginning of cycle 3, or wait until 3 cycles are completed as the main program usually wants? I suppose since it's just a few heavy lifts it won't seriously impact it as much as a full set. 1 set, a few reps of pendalay rows, then, heavy weight. I've seen videos of a pendalay and I think I can execute that.

2. I'll take a look, I think I've seen that post, and I'll check on how to do some of those ab exercises. Like I said I'm pretty clueless with ab exercises, the 3 I listed were just 3 I knew how to do (don't ask why i know the weird ass hip thrust of all things), but I trust your judgement better than my own, obviously.

Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100) Cynic3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Nutrition calculators are never right. If you want to play with them, you would be running at an activity factor of 1.2 if all you do is this program and some cardio. The base nutrition i recommend when starting the program is 100 grams of fats/protein and 200-300 grams of carbs, it ends up to being a little over 2000 cals. If you are above 18% and not dropping a pound a week using those macros, you are going to need some cardio, since i dont recommend going below that as a male.

If you are working with around the bar, first warmup should be a ROM warmup with a plastic pipe or broom handlle, then the bar, then your workset weight, even if its just the bar. At this strength level you cant tax yourself enough that and extra 2-3 sets of just the bar wont rob recovery. You are not going to be able to pull that off once you are working at 2/3-3/4 bw.

Those stats i posted are what your lifts should look like after 5-7 cycles once the routine has done its job. Lifts you are really good at right now will start to stall, and lifts you suck at now will go up really fast.

Lower back tightness is either due to the fact its the first six weeks of a new program, or you are "backing it up" on the SLDL. You shouldnt be flexing your spine on any lift in this program. You are making your back stronger on this program by varying the angle of attack of the weight on your back.

To help with the tightness, i recommend daily warmup squats if you can. This keeps the muscles from tightening up after a hard workout. A muscles response to heavy work is to tighten up/get shorter in order to protect itself, it knows a shorter rom will limit the possibly of damage. That is why all beginner programs use compounds with a huge range of motion. You are basically doing dynamic stretching every time you work out. You put weight on your back and squat, and each time you get a wee bit more rom. If you just do light squats daily (or what ever tight body part) it doesnt give the muscles time to tighten up.
    Thanks a lot for your help man, really appreciate it.

Zudikas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,

Finished 6 cycles of AllPro, went on 2 week vacation and started novice today. Expect to finish at least 3 or 4 cycles. The question is about warm ups - should I also follow 4-8 rep for the first 3 lifts or stay at 8-12? And one more - I fail heavily on OHP (last 2 cycles was 11/9 and 12/8). Should I decrease the weight or stay the same and try one more time? Switch to 4-8 reps scheme? Maybe I need some additional exercise (I do only 7 AllPro lifts, no additional work, no cardio or ABS, and damn I am 40 years old Thank you.

BartAllen2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey again, Nightanole :3

In the FAQ question someone mentioned 'What type of ab workouts should I do' and you mentioned crunches? So if on the first week I started doing 4 sets for 8 reps for Squats, Bench Presses, Bent-Over Rows, Overhead Barbell Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Barbell Curls would you recommend using an Ab Machine right after I've finished those exercises on that day? But if so what should I do? Abdominal Crunches? And what sets and reps would you recommend?

Also, just a query would you recommend that all these exercises don't exceed 1 hour as I was always under the impression that it's not the best thing to stay over 1 hour at the gym.

But I know I mentioned this previously, regarding finding the correct weight to use for each; you stated, "You mess around with the weights, find weights you can lift 12 times or less." So if I pick a weight on the 1st day that I feel I can lift and then I end up doing it at 4 sets for 8 reps at a specific weight and I do it fine; does that mean on the 2nd day I can go up to a higher weight each day? And if I did that to a point where I came to a weight I had problems with? Would I just stick on the weight before that (the highest successful one) and if so how long would I stick with it until I tried myself on the weight after (which I had problems with).

All comments are highly appreciated! Thank you ^_^

Closed Thread