Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I planned on starting on Sunday. I got my tape, body fat measurer, and a food scale in today. Hope it works for you. Ive got some math to do myself.

seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is a food that is high in fat and low to no carbs? I am having difficulty eating enough fat.... actually i am having trouble eating enough of everything period LOL. My BMR on this diet is 3123 calories and I cant seem to eat over 2600.

tinygal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I may sound stupid but what is a KETO diet, is that like a low carb diet, aka Atkins? Where you body goes into ketosis, is that correct? Just curious, if I am correct, I did lose 75 lbs on Atkins, so I didn't know if this was something new.
    ~K~ tinygal

seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah your are close see link below
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4145823

hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by seanward View Post
    What is a food that is high in fat and low to no carbs? I am having difficulty eating enough fat.... actually i am having trouble eating enough of everything period LOL. My BMR on this diet is 3123 calories and I cant seem to eat over 2600.
    Burger, Chicken tigh with skin, Cheese etc.. You can add fats if they don't have enough..
    "AFGHAN POWER" :)

fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10) fartist is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ketogenic diet leads to higher cholestrol?

Correct me if i'm wrong but does it leads to higher cholesterol levels? Due to the higher intake of healthy and unhealthy fats.

Which may lead to heart problems and disease.

Thanks!

whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whitehorizon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't quote me. I hope my answer is right if not someone else will correct me. When your body goes into ketosis than you burn those unhealthy and healthy fats off. It isn't stored. The fat is your energy and fuel you burn.
    The Gods envy us because we are mortal, Any moment could be our last, Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.

Live your life without fear, With fear you are forgotten.

alih92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, I'm at 177 lbs right now. Currently, my carb up period is from Friday (Afternoon last workout of the week) to Sunday. I have low carbs from Monday to Friday (Until the end of the workout). My training is a 3 day split with 3 days HIIT 20 minutes. I havn't been counting calories but I will start soon. For losing fat, around how many protein grams should I take in? If i could give you an estimate, I'd say I'm taking in about hundred, tops. Also after workouts i have 200ml milk with 1 scoop protein. Is the milk okay or no, because whey + water tastes like ****.

I also go to school and for lunch I just have a salad. Should I keep doing this or just switch to a cheeseburger and not eat the bread?

Lastly, should I notice a decrease in strength on Keto and how can I check if I'm in ketosis or not, besides having to piss like 3x times an hour.

You can tell if your in Ketosis by Ketostix. I believe you can buy them at GNC.

You should have 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. I weigh 220 my lean body mass is 165. My Keto plan gives me about 169g.

I have read multiple times not to use milk after workout. The milk slows down the process of the protein. After your workout you need that protein immediately. Fat slows the absorption rate to your muscles.

Salads are fine for a meal on Keto but this is a time you could add some more protein to it. Hard Boiled eggs, Chicken, Tuna?

Sounds like your trying to lose weight. So def no milk in your protein shake and do LISS training for cardio. During a normal meal you can mix the whey with heavy whipping cream to help keep you filled up and absorb slower, because of the fat in it.

As for the decrease in strength you have to work with your macros. Keep better record of everything you eat to make sure you fall in the percentile you want. If you aren't counting calories you may not be getting enough and be losing energy. On the other hand ive read that until you become accustom to the diet you can feel lethargic.

Again I hope someone with better knowledge can come in and clean up my answer point out what I have said wrong and such. Anyways, this is what I have taken from what ive read hope ive been paying attention.
    The Gods envy us because we are mortal, Any moment could be our last, Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.

Live your life without fear, With fear you are forgotten.

could someone please check my macros/meal plan. I've been doing keto on and off and have made progress. Summer of 2008 i went from 180 to 160 in about 4 months and increased strength. I'm at that strength level now but I gained some fat back.

My meal plan is this, I don't have time for breakfast. All I can do for breakfast is grab a handful of almonds, walnuts, peanuts, and cashews. Will this suffice?

sorry for the giant pic

anyone?

wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50) wyntersmom will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Suger Free

Are suger free foods ok for this diet? What is the difference in sugar and sugar alcohols?

FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FCKNGAWSM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. Are there any negative side effects to eating on the Ketogenic diet?
    2. Is the Ketogenic diet safe to do?
    3. Lift Heavy, Low Reps OR Lift Moderate, High Reps on Keto?

THanks

margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) margotspera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hate eating processed foods...How in the world can I get enough fat on thie diet without eating processed foods? Anyone feel the same?

THANKS!
    "You don't come to spin class cause its easy...you come for results"- I can be a genius sometimes.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    stoooooooooone cold, where did you go bruddah? I finally made my grand re-entrance!
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well okay so I've been thinking about going on this diet...

I have a few questions:

They say you don't really need to exercise on this diet, but i couldn't do that, does exercise have a negative effect on how the diet works? or will exercise truly help you burn more fat while doing this diet?

and.. I heard that coming off of this diet is a **tch , and that you gain most of the weight back. I need to shred 25 lbs on this diet down to a low BF%. do you think that's just an exaggeration ? i mean if i lost 25 lbs, would i gain it ALL back? or maybe just 5 lbs ?

I lift weights heavy 4 days a week and do cardio prob twice a week, I feel it is necessary for me b/c it really speeds up the fat loss for me. I lost 8 lbs in the 1st 2 weeks... As far as weight gain, I would say as long as you don't do what got you fat in the 1st place then you should be OK. I plan to eat in moderation and to keep my carbs in check once I get to where I want to be from this program.. Hope this helps.
    Keto:
    Started: 4/27/09 @ 274
    5/6/09 @ 266
    5/20/09 @ 264
    6/1/09 @ 262
    6/4/09 @ 260

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    They say you don't really need to exercise on this diet
    WHA??? Who? That is completely wrong.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a quick question. I'm currently using a TKD for fat loss. My lifting is primarily low volume, focusing on the three main lifts (squat, bench, deadlift), and I take in roughly 50g carbs prior to lifting. The carbs are from whole oats, and I was wondering if I should exclude any PWO carbs due to the slow digesting nature of oats. My reasoning is that, since I begin lifting only 30 minutes after taking in the carbs, there should be enough glucose present during and after lifting to make any more unnecessary. Plus, I take in 40g of protein from whey after lifting, which should create a small insulin spike by itself.

Also, do you feel another, faster acting carb source would be superior to what I'm using now? I'm an "endo-meso," so I tend to stay away from processed sugars as much as possible when selecting carbs.

Thanks!

tnspeeder84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just a n00b here tryin to figure this out. I have read the Keto diet in depth thread and it is somewhat confusing to me. I have a total of 147g of lean mass, and a daily caloric deficit of 3070 (3570 - 500). How is all of that supposed to work into the 60/35/5 equation? Please help and sorry for sounding ignorant, just a little confused.

OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OminousShadow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by skelooth View Post
    WHA??? Who? That is completely wrong.
    Haha i dont know man ;p i read it in an introduction to doing this diet, i forget where.. maybe they were talking about only if you are extremely obese..

but i was wondering something else, i dont know if you could answer this or not but.. Ideally its said that the most effect times to do cardio is in the morning and after weight training because, when performed at this time you burn 300% more body fat that at any other time in the day because your body does not have any glycogen in the system to burn. Therefore, it has to go directly into the fat stores in order to get the energy necessary to complete the activity. so my question is.. does this apply with ketosis too ? because your body doesnt have glycogen during this time either.. ( well maybe until like day 4 or 5)... i'm doing 14 day cycles.., so basically i can do as much cardio as i can handle after day 4 or 5 and it will dip directly into fat stores for energy no matter when i decide to do it yea?

Originally Posted by tnspeeder84 View Post
    Just a n00b here tryin to figure this out. I have read the Keto diet in depth thread and it is somewhat confusing to me. I have a total of 147g of lean mass, and a daily caloric deficit of 3070 (3570 - 500). How is all of that supposed to work into the 60/35/5 equation? Please help and sorry for sounding ignorant, just a little confused.
    hey there, don't let this whole thing kill your brain trying to figure it out ! if you want to track your calories you should take into consideration getting the program called fitday, ( or sign up for the website version ..fitday.com). It will track your calories for you and you can just search the food log for the foods u ate threwout the day and it will add it all up for you giving you the fat/carbs/protein percentages that you want. but i wouldnt stress for hitting exactly " 60/35/5" every day.. just make sure u keep your carbs under 20-30 grams and keep your fats high and you will be fine :] also may i suggest maybe going for a 1000 cal deficit instead of 500, it should help you burn that unwanted bodyfat more quickly :] hmm.. may i ask if you've decided on which version of the keto diet you plan on doing? ckd or tkd?
    Last edited by OminousShadow; 05-28-2009 at 09:05 PM.

tnspeeder84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by OminousShadow View Post
    hey there, don't let this whole thing kill your brain trying to figure it out ! if you want to track your calories you should take into consideration getting the program called fitday, ( or sign up for the website version ..fitday.com). It will track your calories for you and you can just search the food log for the foods u ate threwout the day and it will add it all up for you giving you the fat/carbs/protein percentages that you want. but i wouldnt stress for hitting exactly " 60/35/5" every day.. just make sure u keep your carbs under 20-30 grams and keep your fats high and you will be fine :] also may i suggest maybe going for a 1000 cal deficit instead of 500, it should help you burn that unwanted bodyfat more quickly :] hmm.. may i ask if you've decided on which version of the keto diet you plan on doing? ckd or tkd?
    Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing the CKD. Now that I have a little more knowledge, I am going to search the recipe forum for a CKD grocery list and maybe some recipes.

chasepledger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am 5"6 180 pounds, and plan on starting a keto diet tomorrow. Will the diet below work.

Meal 1:
    2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, and 1 slice of provolone cheese
    Calories: 335
    Protein: 25g
    Fat: 25g
    Carbs: 1g

Meal 2:
    Tuna can with 2 tbps mayonaise with a serving of celery and a serving of peanut butter
    Calories: 300
    Protein: 34g
    Fat: 38g
    Carbs: 7g

Meal 3:
    Grilled Chicken Strip Salad with ranch dressing
    Calories: 355
    Protein: 39g
    Fat: 17g
    Carbs: 11g

Meal 4:
    8oz Grilled Chicken Breast and 1/4 cup of almonds
    Calories: 360
    Protein: 47g
    Fat: 20g
    Carbs: 3g

Meal 5 or postworkout:
    Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein with a serving of peanut butter
    Calories: 310
    Protein: 32g
    Fat: 17g
    Carbs: 7g

Totals:
    Calories: 1870
    Protein: 180g (55%)
    Fat: 117g (35%)
    Carbs: 30g (10%)

Kinetic Energy ftw RpplesonFrmiSea's Avatar
    RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50) RpplesonFrmiSea will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Those numbers you posted are closer to the Dave Palumbo cutting Keto diet, which has 60% Protein 35% fat 5% carbs, as opposed to a typical CKD which is 65% Fat 30% Protein 5% Carbs. Either one is reputable, its just a matter of how much muscle mass you want to preserve. Palumbo's is a contest prep diet typically designed to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while cutting fat. Your numbers look alright to me though.
    Mortality isn't an issue if you're indestructible.

clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Few questions.

First a brief history. I'm a 43 year old man. Desk dweller for many years. Was never really a big guy, more of a runner than a lifter. Slowly crept up in weight until I was 246, which looks very bad on my medium frame at 5 ft 9. On Dec 21 I started dieting and cardio. Over the next few months I lost 20 lbs doing more cardio and calorie control. As I started to lose weight I decided that I would rather be a more muscular person as opposed to just skinny. So I began "Starting Strength" in March. I've been increasing in strength since then, and lost another 21 pounds. I've completely dropped the cardio, since the program seems to suggest that. I'm also on 10 mg of Androgel daily for HRT (Mr. Happy was not being happy).

So, currently 205 pounds and decided to start keto last week, because I've read good things about it. I've been tweaking my intake and experimenting with my ratios, and think I'm getting it right now.

Fri: cals 1996, carbs 76, prot 237, fat 134
    Sat: cals 2556, carbs 51, prot 252, fat 146
    Sun: cals 1549, carbs 62, prot 186, fat 108
    Mon: cals 1704, carbs 56, prot 247, fat 108
    Tue: cals 2117, carbs 23, prot 218, fat 108
    Wed: cals 1929, carbs 19, prot 169, fat 127

A few questions now.

1. Will my Androgel have any effect on the keto or vice-versa?
    2. I feel a little odd (like my head is tight) and I assume that is to be expected.
    3. Should I continue to avoid cardio while doing SS, or is it a good idea to add some? (Frankly after deads on workout A and powercleans on workout B I can barely walk, and the thought of adding cardio makes me want to vomit lol.)
    4. It looks as if I should be adding 30 grams of dextrose (corn sugar) to my 30 gram protein shake post workout, and not having any pre-workout nutrition. The only reference I can find to actual amounts suggests that 10 grams of carbs are in 1 tsp of the corn sugar. Does this seem correct?
    5. Is there any problem with taking creatine in my shake? It sounds as if this would be a great way to get it into my cells faster.
    6. I workout Mon, Wed and Fri at noon. We have a gym in our office, with weights. Since I'm still carrying a spare tire should I limit my carb up to a couple slices of pizza or something like that for Sunday supper as opposed to the whole 24-36 hour carb up?

Your protein is too high and fat is too low, your macros have to be off. Monitor everything you eat on www.fitday.com so u can see your macros. Your fat should be 65% Protein is 30% and carbs @ 5%. Your carbs are high too. Try to stay under 50g to ensure you kick into Ketosis. Creatine supp is recmnd'd b/c you will get tired and lose some strength on this diet so it really helps out. Also I am not too familiar with dextrose but I have read in many places to try not to intake to much, as close to 0 you can get on sugar and carbs are best. On the carb-up, I did a LARGE one the 1st time and it took me a week and a half to drop the water weight, for the past few weeks I have just kept it down to under 200g of carbs on Sunday and that has been working better for me. I do weight a lot more than u though so maybe u should do less, just try both ways and see what works best for YOU.

read this when you find the time:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html
    Keto:
    5/6/09 @ 266
    5/20/09 @ 264
    6/1/09 @ 262
    6/4/09 @ 260

clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) clicker666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your protein is too high and fat is too low, your macros have to be off. Monitor everything you eat on fitday so u can see your macros. Your fat should be 65% Protein is 30% and carbs @ 5%. Your carbs are high too. Try to stay under 50g to ensure you kick into Ketosis. Creatine supp is recmnd'd b/c you will get tired and lose some strength on this diet so it really helps out. Also I am not too familiar with dextrose but I have read in many places to try not to intake to much, as close to 0 you can get on sugar and carbs are best. On the carb-up, I did a LARGE one the 1st time and it took me a week and a half to drop the water weight, for the past few weeks I have just kept it down to under 200g of carbs on Sunday and that has been working better for me. I do weight a lot more than u though so maybe u should do less, just try both ways and see what works best for YOU.
    Actually I was monitoring on the Daily Plate. I've been eating 200g protein a day for so long it took some tweaking to get it down. I did notice I had a hell of a time lifting today. The work sets I had planned for squats and bench had to be lowered, and I almost died on my deads but did manage to go with my planned weight. I did throw a couple of tsp of dextrose and creatine in my shake, and figure I will probably do as you say and keep the carbs to under 200 on Sunday and see how it plays out.

good deal bro, good luck
    Keto:
    5/6/09 @ 266
    5/20/09 @ 264
    6/1/09 @ 262
    6/4/09 @ 260

DocBooty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    FYI most online BMR calculators are way off. Even the most conservative ones consistently overestimate for me.

If you're trying to lose weight you shouldn't have to force-feed yourself. If you're not hungry, you're not hungry. Looking at your weight, you're fine at 2600. I'd even recommend just eating 2000 calories/day.