Mace27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help me trim down

I'm posting this because I'd love some pointers from those willing to help. I've been reading and occasionally throwing out advice/pointers where I can on this board for a while now. I've decided I want to trim down. I've always had a decent build with a bit of body fat over everything My profile photo was taken just under a year ago. Even though I've gone from 238 lbs back in Sept/Oct '07 to 218 lbs as of this morning, I still look just about the same. I've been eating about the same during that loss of 20 lbs and working out roughly 5 times a week (never less than 4).

What I'd love to hear from you is what can I do to trim down even more, where it's noticable. I don't necessarily care about the actual number when it comes to my weight, as long as I look and feel good. But I know I still stand to shed some more fat. Below is what my diet & routine have been for roughly the last 4-5 months. If I said I did this exactly every single day, I'd be lying - there have been holidays, birthdays, get-togethers, and other opportunities to enjoy some burgers, sweets, and other not-so-ideal foods in that timespan. I would greatly appreciate it if you could throw a pointer out to me, an experience, do's and don'ts, suggested meals, exercises, supplements, etc. And if you have any questions, please ask me on the thread or through PM.

- Wake: 5:30 am
    - Pre-workout: Was using an NO product but not anymore (suggestions?)
    - Gym: 6:00-7:30 am, either upper body lifting or cardio and legs/back lifting
    - Post Workout: ON Whey shake (48g protein), Omega 3-6-9 pill, and a multi
    - Meal: 10:30 am, either plain oatmeal or Grape Nuts cereal (never add sugar)
    - Meal: 1:00 pm, lunch is usually the opposite of my 10:30 meal (if I had oatmeal at 10:30, I'll probably have cereal for lunch)
    - Meal: 6:00 pm, dinner usually involves a chicken breast on the Foreman, with steamed or canned vegatables, washed down with either water, a diet fruit juice (low sugar), or sometimes a Coke Zero
    - Meal: 9:00 pm, fruit smoothie (fresh fruit, usually raspberry or blueberry) with soy milk and a scoop of ON Whey (24g protein)
    - Bed: 11:00 pm, Omega 3-6-9 pill and a multi with a glass of water

Thanks in advance!

Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How many days per week is your workout? How many days per week are you doing cardio?

As far as diet, you could try upping your protein and healthy fat intakes a bit, and decreasing your carbs. For instance, for your 1:00 lunch, you could try having a protein source such as 6 oz. of tuna (1 can), 6 oz. chicken, or eggs (say, 3 whole eggs and 3 whites). If you choose the fish or chicken, you could have it on whole wheat bread and then add some spinach leaves and even a slice of tomato for a sandwich. Then, for your healthy fats, have 1 oz. of almonds.

I would then see if you can get another meal in at 4:00 or so. That meal would need to be about the same as the 1:00 meal, as far as focus on lean protein source and healthy fat. Two tablespoons of natural peanut butter is another serving of healthy fats that you can use somewhere in your meal planning. I would probably have another 1 oz. of almonds here, though.

You can then have your current dinner with the chicken breast and veggies, and move it to 7:00.

At 10:00, have your smoothie and then keep your 11:00 where it is.

Oh, for your 10:30 AM, you could add the two tablespoons of natural peanut butter here with the oats. You could even add a sliced apple or banana at this meal, since it is early in the day (you want to focus on getting as many of carbs out of the way as early in the day as possible), and you'll still get your fruit in. If you did this, you might want to rethink having the fruit in the smoothie late at night.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts.

My typical workout week is 3 days of upper body lifting (chest, bi's and tri's) and at least 2 days of cardio, leg lifting and core exercises. Some weeks, when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll throw in an extra day of legs & cardio.

I can definitely up my protein intake during my lunch hour. Getting away from two consecutive grains/cereals would be a nice change. I've also been reading a lot about almond butter and may give that a shot. Sounds like that would be a good supplement for the healthy fats surving.

As for eliminating the fruit late at night, I could do that. How's adding it to my 6/7 pm dinner? I gotta have my blueberries and raspberries!

Thanks, Super Numb, these are the types of things I'm looking for. And I'm open to other suggestions from other readers as well.

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd throw in 2 boiled eggs or some kind of protein source with your 10:30 meal, have cottage cheese & natty PB as your 9:00 or something of the sort.

A good rule to go by is to add leafy vegetables to 2 of your meals a day, and aim for a portion of carbs & a portion of protein for your meals. If you have cereal or oats, have some kind of protein with it, etc.

Portion = the size of your palm or clenched first (this is what I go by as suggested in BFL).
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10) nutron is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would add more protein.

Thanks guys, more good tips. I'll definitely keep the portion equation in mind.

Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeremy166 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This may seem overly simple, but you should get more than ~6 hours of sleep. Sleep is extremely important in fitness. It's when your body recuperates from the exercise and grows.

Originally Posted by Jeremy166 View Post
    This may seem overly simple, but you should get more than ~6 hours of sleep. Sleep is extremely important in fitness. It's when your body recuperates from the exercise and grows.
    I wish it were that easy for me. I changed my workout routine to before work instead of after work, in hopes that I would be able to go to sleep sooner than usual. It didn't really turn out that way. Once 11 pm rolls around, I'm still pretty wired and awake from the day and have to force myself to bed. I've always been able to get by on less sleep than others it seems.

Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Super Numb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is there any way you could work in 4 days of cardio per week? You could do the cardio on your off days. You could even do the cardio in the evenings, which would work out great with the fruit smoothie you are having in the evenings.

Also, do a little reading up on HIIT and LIIS. For instance, you could start by going for two weeks on a low intensity cardio approach by walking four times a week at a bpm of around 130 for 30 to 45 minutes. Then check and see if your body is responding to this type of cardio, along with your new diet approach. If so, stick with it for at least two more weeks. If not, consider doing HIIT for two weeks with the same diet and then see where you are. If still not getting anywhere, then you would know that the problem would most likely lie with your diet.

Anyway, hope this helps.