Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Congrats - You're "above average"

Here's a little post to make you feel good today.

On Monday, I took my youngest daughter (9 yr old) and her friend to the beach. I was amazed at what I saw.

85% or more of the people around me were fat and out of shape. Guys my age (40 or so) were in terrible shape. But even kids ... teens ... young adults ... were not in any kind of shape to brag about. I was surprised at the number of kids/teens with guts and love handles!

Women weren't a lot better. Even though many girls were wearing bikinis ... most had no business doing so. Fitness models they were not!

There were exceptions to the rule. A couple of college guys had nice bodies and there was a lady about my age that looked like she took care of herself. But by and large, I saw overweight and out-of-shape people.

So here's where you can feel good about you today ... you are above average my friend simply because you watch what goes into your body and exercise regularly. You and I may not be "body-builder big" or "fitness model toned" but we are well and away above average.

Sure, I still would like to increase my lean muscle mass and decrease my body fat. But I don't look too bad for 41 - comparatively speaking.

So, I'm betting when you go to the beach this summer ... you will feel good about you too. As you should!

CONGRATS ... you're above average!
    Keith

TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bkeithb View Post

On Monday, I took my youngest daughter (9 yr old) and her friend to the beach. I was amazed at what I saw.

85% or more of the people around me were fat and out of shape. Guys my age (40 or so) were in terrible shape. But even kids ... teens ... young adults ... were not in any kind of shape to brag about. I was surprised at the number of kids/teens with guts and love handles!

Women weren't a lot better. Even though many girls were wearing bikinis ... most had no business doing so. Fitness models they were not!

There were exceptions to the rule. A couple of college guys had nice bodies and there was a lady about my age that looked like she took care of herself. But by and large, I saw overweight and out-of-shape people.

So here's where you can feel good about you today ... you are above average my friend simply because you watch what goes into your body and exercise regularly. You and I may not be "body-builder big" or "fitness model toned" but we are well and away above average.

Sure, I still would like to increase my lean muscle mass and decrease my body fat. But I don't look too bad for 41 - comparatively speaking.

So, I'm betting when you go to the beach this summer ... you will feel good about you too. As you should!

Go to a state that does NOT have 8 months of below freezing temps. And i bet you will find people are in better shape.

aneas
    I would feel better if there was alot of eye candy. I would not mind being below average for that.

sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sandcar3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What beach were you at? I see you are from Wisconsin (I grew up there) so if it was Bradford beach or some other beach in Wisconsin, you will definitely see more out of shape people then you would at most other beaches. Sorry, but the long winters, and all the beer and cheese (I do love both) make for some fat people.
    Height = 6'3"
    Weight = 215

Max
    Bench = 335
    Squat = 365
    Dead = 425

aneas
    Originally Posted by TheLBM View Post
    Go to a state that does NOT have 8 months of below freezing temps. And i bet you will find people are in better shape.
    Not in Texas.

bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50) bkeithb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL - well, we do have heated gyms so that's no excuse!
    Keith

Originally Posted by sandcar3 View Post
    What beach were you at? I see you are from Wisconsin (I grew up there) so if it was Bradford beach or some other beach in Wisconsin, you will definitely see more out of shape people then you would at most other beaches. Sorry, but the long winters, and all the beer and cheese (I do love both) make for some fat people.
    Yeah - what else would you expect in the land of beer & cheese?

I was at the Lannon Quarry Beach at Lannon Park (out near Sussex just west of Milwaukee). Guess I was surprised because college kids and high school kids like to hang out there in the summer and many were overweight/out-of shape.
    Keith

TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz TheLBM has the mod powerz
    LOL - well, we do have heated gyms so that's no excuse!
    MN born and raised here.

So i understand the natural tendency to
    "bulk" during those months.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As a Floridian, I will dispel that myth right now.

WebMD backs this up:

Originally Posted by WebMD
    The 10 states with the highest obesity rates are:

Mississippi
    Alabama
    West Virginia
    Louisiana
    Kentucky
    Tennessee
    Arkansas
    Indiana (tie for 8th)
    South Carolina (tie for 8th)
    Texas
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060...besity-ranking

Note that most of these states are warm-weather states!

MN born and raised here.

So i understand the natural tendency to
    "bulk" during those months.
    LOL - winters are a good excuse to bulk ... but then there's all that snow shoveling that should help us cut, right?
    Keith

Originally Posted by ChocolateGirl View Post

WebMD backs this up:

Thanks.
    Maybe for the MN winter i should move to a different state for my bulk.
    I would fit in better.

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And in the south where fried food reigns. When I go to the beach I see a variety, but as you said for the most part, they are overweight. And it seems to me that most people who live here in Florida rarely go to the beach.

Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Enduro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fat People

Just a sign of the times.

People don't have physically demanding jobs anymore (aka old school farmers). Todays society has become very soft, with air condtioning, automatic this and that, then add in the all the junk fast food and large portions.

I often wonder how "most people" would fair in the event of a large scale disaster or war?
    ( (._)(_.) )
    ( )\___/( )

Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Just a sign of the times.

People don't have physically demanding jobs anymore (aka old school farmers). Todays society has become very soft, with air condtioning, automatic this and that, then add in the all the junk fast food and large portions.

I often wonder how "most people" would fair in the event of a large scale disaster or war?
    I wonder that too. I believe things have gotten worse in the last 20 years or so as far as eating habits, obesity rates, and a sedentary lifestyle. Kids today spend far too much time in front of one screen or another and not enough time running and playing.

20 years ago I was in the military. When I went to boot camp, most guys were in relatively good shape (of course, you had to be in some kind of shape to get it, so the "sample" is not a good one, perhaps). We all made it through the PT, etc. I wonder if today's teens/young adults could? It would take them a while to work up to the PT standards, I think.
    Keith

Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Galactus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What do all those states on the list have in common. If you guessed that the list would match up very closely with the poorest states than you are our winner. Poorer people eat a lot of highly processed calorie dense food. Lean meat and fresh produce are the most expensive things to eat. That's why all those warm weather states are on the list. They are also full of poor people who need to eat what they can get. I been there myself. It really kinda sucks.
    Bench 335 x 4, 375 x 1
    Squat 455 x 2
    DL 495 x 4

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

WebMD backs this up:

Interesting!
    On the list for Bannukah

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Being from Texas I would like to object to that post

Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    What do all those states on the list have in common. If you guessed that the list would match up very closely with the poorest states than you are our winner. Poorer people eat a lot of highly processed calorie dense food. Lean meat and fresh produce are the most expensive things to eat. That's why all those warm weather states are on the list. They are also full of poor people who need to eat what they can get. I been there myself. It really kinda sucks.
    That's a good point. I'm a transplant to Wisconsin from Louisiana (one of the states on the obese list). And there's a lot of poor people there for sure.

However, in Louisiana we ate a lot of "read beans and rice" which, if you don't use too much salt and use brown rice, it can be very healthy and economical. And ... of course ... there's lots of catfish that can be baked instead of fried MMMMMM!

You're point is a good one, though. You have to work harder to eat "clean" if you're struggling to make ends meet.
    Keith

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Michigan: 26.2% obese, rank: 11

/I thought we'd be higher on the list
    //mabye we were at one time
    ///mabye I helped
    ////not lately, though
    /////urp

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

That's a good point. I'm a transplant to Wisconsin from Louisiana (one of the states on the obese list). And there's a lot of poor people there for sure.
    Madison is frequently cited as having a significantly higher overall level of fitness.

aneas
    Originally Posted by farsscf View Post
    Being from Texas I would like to object to that post
    I live in Plano Texas. From what I have observed around here its a lard haven. Chocolate girls posts backs that up with facts.

I meant being a poor state, especially in your area, probably the other way around. People with too much money and eat too well.

Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post
    Madison is frequently cited as having a significantly higher overall level of fitness.
    Big college town - maybe that's why?
    Keith

aneas
    Originally Posted by stahlhart View Post

/I thought we'd be higher on the list
    //mabye we were at one time
    ///mabye I helped
    ////not lately, though
    /////urp
    I think it depends on where you live in MI. I am fairly certain that Detroit usually ranks in top 5 for fatest U.S. city.

I lived in waterford, white lake, east lansing and rochester hills.

erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erod13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also think technology has alot to do with it, makes everything easier and makes us lazier, ie internet,xbox,delivery,cable television etc...
    I remember when I was a kid you had 3 channels and unless it was Saturday morning I would'nt watch it. Now you have talk shows and shrinks on tv telling you its ok and socially acceptable to be fat, its not your fault, take this pill and you'll lose weight, connect this electrode to your belly and it will come off etc....
    just my opinion
    Ed

aneas
    Originally Posted by farsscf View Post
    I meant being a poor state, especially in your area, probably the other way around. People with too much money and eat too well.
    Its not that poor of a state its 21 out of 50. Lower half but not awful. That is based on raw income as well. Which does not tell entire story as you know housing is dirt cheap here.

Your right I live in a pretty affluent area. I think problem is there are alot of good places to eat here and you know Texan's love there BBQ.

Too true about the BBQ, hard to get around where I live now though, but probably for the best. My cousin and her family live in Plano, nice area

WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50) WeebleNoMore will become famous soon enough. (+50)

List Sorted

Interesting... where some of these states are...

Thin To Fat

Colorado: 17.8% obese, rank: 51
    Hawaii: 19.7% obese, rank: 50
    Massachusetts: 20.7% obese, rank: 49
    Vermont: 20.2% obese, rank: 47
    Rhode Island: 21.0% obese, rank: 47
    Connecticut: 20.1% obese, rank: 46
    Montana: 21.3% obese, rank: 45
    Utah: 21.2% obese, rank: 43
    --->Arizona: 21.1% obese, rank: 43
    Nevada: 20.7% obese, rank: 42
    New Mexico: 21.8% obese, rank: 41
    New Jersey: 22.1% obese, rank: 40
    District of Columbia: 21.7% obese, rank: 39
    Wyoming: 24.2% obese, rank: 36
    New York: 22.2% obese, rank: 36
    New Hampshire: 23.1% obese, rank: 36
    Florida: 22.8% obese, rank: 35
    Maine: 22.7% obese, rank: 34
    Oregon: 23.8% obese, rank: 33
    Washington: 23.3% obese, rank: 31
    Idaho: 24.5% obese, rank: 31
    -->California: 22.7% obese, rank: 30
    Delaware: 23.5% obese, rank: 29
    Wisconsin: 24.4% obese, rank: 28
    Minnesota: 23.7% obese, rank: 27
    Kansas: 23.9% obese, rank: 26
    Virginia: 25.1% obese, rank: 25
    Maryland: 24.4% obese, rank: 24
    Illinois: 25.0% obese, rank: 23
    South Dakota: 25.5% (obese, rank: 22
    Iowa: 25.4% obese, rank: 21
    Nebraska: 26.0% obese, rank: 20
    Pennsylvania: 25.3% obese, rank: 19
    North Dakota: 25.4% obese, rank: 18
    North Carolina: 25.9% obese, rank: 17
    Ohio: 24.5% obese, rank: 15
    Alaska: 27.5% obese, rank: 15
    Missouri: 26.9% obese, rank: 14
    Oklahoma: 26.9% obese, rank: 13
    Georgia: 26.5% obese, rank: 12
    Texas: 27.0% obese, rank: 10
    South Carolina: 29.1% obese, rank: 8
    Indiana: 27.2% obese, rank: 8
    Arkansas: 28.0% obese, rank: 7
    Tennessee: 27.4% obese, rank: 6
    Kentucky: 28.6% obese, rank: 5
    Louisiana: 30.8% obese, rank: 4
    West Virginia: 30.6% obese, rank: 3
    Alabama: 28.9% obese, rank: 2
    Mississippi: 30.9% obese, rank: 1
    Non Smoker since August 1, 2007

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere. ~ Frank A. Clark

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Sorry - I don't buy this. Yes, shopping at Whole Foods is more expensive than shopping at your local grocery store. And buying bb supplements can add up. But, as someone who has been poor, I can tell you that you can eat healthfully just as cheaply as you can eat junk.

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Observing the parking lot of Wal-Mart as I drive past as quickly as I can (NOT a Wally-World fan), I would say the bar is not exactly set very high!

WebMD backs this up:

Wow. Must be all that fine fried food and great barbecue!

Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    ...I often wonder how "most people" would fair in the event of a large scale disaster or war?
    Well, maybe in a famine.
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o