Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

Originally Posted by pogue
    Please stop wasting space with nonsense posts from dorway.com. That site has been known for years as total quackery junk. Come up with some real studies and not information from a dead guy who claims aspartame killed him. The site is a ruse to sell books and other nonsense alternative medicine products.

This has been debunked a hundred times if you choose to actually do your own research and not believe hyped out crap. Find me a study with humans showing aspartame is toxic and we'll talk.

I refuse to argue with someone who posts links to dorway and other quack sites. Anyone with a critical mind for thinking would take one look at that site and see right through it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparta...th_controversy
    If it's on the internet, and I agree with it, it has to be true! This is the brave soul who once led the anti-aspartame crusade!

And now, the shining standard of truth is carried by....BETTY MARTINI!!!

I used to be way fatter

Certified smartestMISCer Deenur's Avatar
    Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Deenur has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I hate to say this here, because I'll probably get pounded, but most studies are funded by people who have a very PRO or ANTI view over something. There are so few unbiased reports, its not funny.

Scientist X has a guy with 500,000 telling hime to do some "research" to find out why SUBSTANCE Q is killing people (note: no one has really died, this is just what the bag money man believes). The scientist knows what the money man wants and looks for it, skewing the results to fit the grant because if he doesnt, the flow of $$$$ doesn't continue. By the time he has satisfied the grant, he actually believes what he has been telling the $$$ guy, even if the scientist starts out with some objectivity.

EXAMPLE: I did a google on zinc and prostate. One artcile said that excess zinc in the male body benefits the gland. The VERY NEXT google entry (back to back listings) listed that excess zinc in males is harmful to the gland and could be lethal.

How can two scientists that are experts in the same field come up with two completely opposed answers for the same issue? ANSWER: grant money.

Deen
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

Screenwriter- u mad brah?

krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) krustster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Deenur
    I hate to say this here, because I'll probably get pounded, but most studies are funded by people who have a very PRO or ANTI view over something. There are so few unbiased reports, its not funny.

Scientist X has a guy with 500,000 telling hime to do some "research" to find out why SUBSTANCE Q is killing people (note: no one has really died, this is just what the bag money man believes). The scientist knows what the money man wants and looks for it, skewing the results to fit the grant because if he doesnt, the flow of $$$$ doesn't continue. By the time he has satisfied the grant, he actually believes what he has been telling the $$$ guy, even if the scientist starts out with some objectivity.

EXAMPLE: I did a google on zinc and prostate. One artcile said that excess zinc in the male body benefits the gland. The VERY NEXT google entry (back to back listings) listed that excess zinc in males is harmful to the gland and could be lethal.

How can two scientists that are experts in the same field come up with two completely opposed answers for the same issue? ANSWER: grant money.

Deen
    Good post. People like to BS a lot of about how studies proving aspartame to be safe are funded (supposedly) by aspartame producers--which in itself is not surprising because if you're selling something, wouldn't you want to prove to people that it's safe?--simultaneously ignore the idea of studies with contraindicative results being funded by companies with an opposing interest...i.e., Stevia and so forth.

Interesting also how Brooklyn Zoo commented on my posts in the other topic made after I broke down the lab report, and yet has failed to rebut my post about the lab rats.
    I used to be way fatter

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a few friends who get migranes from diet soda. Not sure if the aspartame is the culprit but id hypothesize it is doing the dmg. I used to drink diet alot and never had a headache personally but I have read that neurological issues have been reported in rats that have taken super amounts of aspartame. I dont remember the actuall amount but it was a very crazy amount for a human much less a rat and it gave them neurological problems. I guess if you drink three cases of anything a day something will happen thats unhealthy @_@. I agree with the previous post about rich corps funding research for a one-sided goal.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Originally Posted by Sir_Malak
    I have a few friends who get migranes from diet soda. Not sure if the aspartame is the culprit but id hypothesize it is doing the dmg. I used to drink diet alot and never had a headache personally but I have read that neurological issues have been reported in rats that have taken super amounts of aspartame. I dont remember the actuall amount but it was a very crazy amount for a human much less a rat and it gave them neurological problems. I guess if you drink three cases of anything a day something will happen thats unhealthy @_@. I agree with the previous post about rich corps funding research for a one-sided goal.
    You're actually looking at more like 50,000 cases a day to get the doses in question here.
    I used to be way fatter

JimboJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

All things in moderation...?

First off, this is a great thread. Can't believe I didn't find it sooner: I've been concerned about sweeteners in my protein shakes and it's so hard to get hold of the unsweetened shakes.

...Anyway, I've waded through a few pages on this thread plus some of the links, but it's VERY sciencey and way over my head (I'm a social scientist - no jokes pls)... So could anyone advise me:

If I have one whey shake and one muscle fuel MR shake p/day (both acesulfame-K based), plus a couple of coffees with a 5ml tspoon of aspartame-based sweetener in each, could this adversely affect my long term health? I've read some of the links posted by Pogue that state that acesulfame-K MAY be carcinogenic... Or am I just being a big soft git?

I avoid sweetened soft drinks and confectionary, so sweetened coffee and my PWO shakes are pretty much my only vice.

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere.

Thanks - JJ

If I have one whey shake and one muscle fuel MR shake p/day (both acesulfame-K based), plus a couple of coffees with a 5ml tspoon of aspartame-based sweetener in each, could this adversely affect my long term health?
    NO!!!

the general consensus in this topic (aside from one or two people) is that you would have to drink thousands and thousands of shakes every day to even have a chance of developing health problems.
    I used to be way fatter

JimboJack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whew!! Pass the blender

LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Been using Splenda like it's going out of style!! 10-12 tbls. A DAY!!! NO more for me. In the past two weeks I've gained fat all around my waist! This stuff is not good; at least in these amounts that I've been using. 1-2 tbls. is fine I'm sure.

This stuff is made from sugar, so how healthy CAN it be?? I would think brown sugar or Stevia is way better.

Your thought! Thanks!

DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DecemberDays86 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LRV
    Been using Splenda like it's going out of style!! 10-12 tbls. A DAY!!! NO more for me. In the past two weeks I've gained fat all around my waist! This stuff is not good; at least in these amounts that I've been using. 1-2 tbls. is fine I'm sure.

This stuff is made from sugar, so how healthy CAN it be?? I would think brown sugar or Stevia is way better.

Your thought! Thanks!
    Splenda is derived from sugar molecules. However, your body supposedly lacks the enzyme needed to digest splenda molecules (they have a different shape). Since it has a different shape, it ends up not digesting in in body and just passes through.
    1/01/2005 185 lbs 22.5%
    1/29/2005 181 lbs 20.5%
    6/26/2005 153 lbs 14.7% crap
    2/23/2008 ~202 lbs ~21% (crap again!)

CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LRV

Your thought! Thanks!
    Yeah Splenda is just a sugar molecule with added chlorine atoms attached or something along those lines and as a result your body cannot use it for energy, but that doesn't mean its healthy. Use in moderation is my advice. As far as artificial sweetners go today I'd take sucralose over Aspartame, Stevia, or Acesulfame K

DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DaRk_StAr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    wierd though ive used splenda and everytime i do my muscles dont look fuller its like they deflated lol......so i try to really limit myself...also i find that if i use some i tend to put on more fat easily? Something about insulin resistance?

LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LRV has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DaRk_StAr
    wierd though ive used splenda and everytime i do my muscles dont look fuller its like they deflated lol......so i try to really limit myself...also i find that if i use some i tend to put on more fat easily? Something about insulin resistance?

I was getting a belly! No more for me!! **** isn't worth it!!

imogene-runner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Aspartame and Kidney Cancer, cranial nerve tumors

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Zoo
    Eur. J. Oncol., vol. 10, n. 2, pp. 00-00, 2005 IN PRESS
    Aspartame induces lymphomas and leukaemias in rats
    Morando Soffritti, Fiorella Belpoggi, Davide Degli Esposti, Luca Lambertini
    Cancer Research Centre, European Ramazzini Foundation of
    Oncology and Environmental Sciences, Bologna, Italy
    Brooklyn Zoo,

In addition to the lymphomas and leukemias, there was a statistically significant (and dose-related) increases in cancer of the kidneys and tumors of the peripheral nerves. Those findings will be published at a later date. This was the first independently funded and conducted study on aspartame lifetime exposure and cancer in animals as far as I know.

It was difficult to read the text chart you provided, but the PDF file shows it a little more clearly: http://www.ramazzini.it/fondazione/d...ameGEO2005.pdf
    -- a statistically significant increase in lympohmas an leukemias in females at doses as low as 20 mg/kg. The 4 mg/kg dose had an increase, but not statistically significant (although a larger study may or may not be able to find a statistically significant increase at 4 mg/kg).

From the discussion in their publication, the researchers seem to understand that the formaldehyde exposure from aspartame may have played a significant role in the development of the lymphomas and leukemias. Since 1998, we've known that significant amounts of formaldehyde accumulates in various parts of the body after aspartame ingestion and we've known that the calculated formaldehyde exposure from aspartame ingestion can be greater than what causes genetic damage in industrial formaldehyde exposure, so I am glad that independent researchers are starting to look at possible long-term effects from this exposure.

IR

TrainInsane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    can i use dextrose, maltodextrin, sucralose (splenda) in my post workout shake instead of other suger boosters. will it produce the same effects without the calories. if so how much do i use, im 200lbs. thanks

jayness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lo Han Guo

Does anyone know anything about Lo Han Guo? Thanks, -Jay

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Just say no to Aspartame!

Aspartame is some of the worst, most toxic crap you could ever put into your body. No artificial sweetner is good, they all have their downsides, but aspartame is by far the worst of the worst. Their original application was denied until the FDA Commissioner stepped in, of course he later took a job as the head honcho of the company. Stevia is the best out of all of them, Muscle Milk has a Naturals formula that features Stevia which is about 200-300 times sweeter than sucrose but has none of the negative side effects or complaints of aspartame.

Regarding Aspartame

As said by Senator Howard Metzenbaum (1):

"We had better be sure that the questions that have been raised about the safety of this product are answered. I must say at the outset, this product was approved by the FDA in circumstances that can only be described as troubling."

As far back as 1988, seven years after the initial release of aspartame, 80 percent (!) of complaints volunteered by consumers to the FDA about supplements involved aspartame products. By April 1995, it had received 7,232 complaints.

Last year, the Washington Post reported that this number has grown to 85% of all supplement related complaints, far more than ephedra ever had.

The FDA approved aspartame as a low-nutritive sweetener for use in solid form during 1981, and in soft drinks during 1983. It is a synthetic chemical consisting of two amino acids, phenylalanine (50 percent) and aspartic acid (40 percent), and a methyl ester (10 percent) that promptly becomes free methyl alcohol (methanol; wood alcohol). The latter is universally considered a severe poison.

Senior FDA scientists and consultants vigorously protested approving the release of aspartame products. Their objections related to disturbing findings in animal studies (especially the frequency of brain tumors), seemingly flawed experimental data, and the absence of extensive pre-marketing trials on humans using real-world products over prolonged periods.

Why would you put pure wood alcohol into your body willingly????

Aspartame reactions may be caused by the compound itself, its three components, stereoisomers of the amino acids, toxic breakdown products (including formaldehyde), or combinations thereof. They often occur in conjunction with severe caloric restriction and excessive exercise to lose weight.

Various metabolic and physiologic disturbances explain the clinical complications. Only a few are listed:

* Damage to the retina or optic nerves is largely due to methyl alcohol exposure. Unlike most animals, humans cannot efficiently metabolize it.
    * High concentrations of phenylalanine and aspartic acid occur in the brain after aspartame intake, unlike the modest levels of amino acids following conventional protein consumption.
    * Aspartame alters the function of major amino acid-derived neurotransmitters, especially in obese persons and after carbohydrate intake.
    * Phenylalanine stimulates the release of insulin and growth hormone.
    * The ambiguous signals to the satiety center following aspartame intake may result either in increased food consumption or severe anorexia.
    * Large amounts of the radioactive-carbon label from oral aspartame intake have been detected in DNA.

Here is a table of data listing negative reactions resulting from aspartame use.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/7/aspartame_table1.gif

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/7/aspartame_table2.gif

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/7/aspartame_table3.gif

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jan/7/aspartame_table4.gif

I would recommend the movie "Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World," to anyone, this is basically the "Super Size Me" of aspartame documentaries. Compelling, chilling and downright frightening, it probes the background behind the manipulation that even made the legalization of aspartame possible and how it has since had a detrimental effect on the health of millions. Is it any wonder that the general health of the American public has gone southwards since the introduction of aspartame. It would be foolish to think that it is the only factor in that, but many studies have shown that it has a constant negative effect on the health of its users.

For your reading, a few of the MANY afflictions caused/worsened by aspartame intake

Birth Defects/Increase of Autism in the US
    A study funded by Monsanto to study possible birth defects caused by consuming aspartame was cut off after preliminary data showed damaging information about aspartame. Additionally, in the book, While Waiting: A Prenatal Guidebook, it is stated that aspartame is suspected of causing brain damage in sensitive individuals. A fetus may be at risk for these effects. Some researchers have suggested that high doses of aspartame may be associated with problems ranging from dizziness and subtle brain changes to mental retardation.

Cancer

In 1981, an FDA statistician stated that the brain tumor data on aspartame was so "worrisome" that he could not recommend approval of NutraSweet.(14)

In a two-year study conducted by the manufacturer of aspartame, twelve of 320 rats fed a normal diet and aspartame developed brain tumors while none of the control rats developed tumors, and five of the twelve tumors were in rats given a low dose of aspartame.(15)

The approval of aspartame was a violation of the Delaney Amendment, which was supposed to prevent cancer-causing substances such as methanol (formaldehye) and DKP from entering our food supply. A late FDA toxicologist testified before the U.S. Congress that aspartame was capable of producing brain tumors. This made it illegal for the FDA to set an allowable daily intake at any level. He stated in his testimony that Searle's studies were "to a large extent unreliable" and that "at least one of those studies has established beyond any reasonable doubt that aspartame is capable of inducing brain tumors in experimental animals ... " He concluded his testimony by asking, "What is the reason for the apparent refusal by the FDA to invoke for this food additive the so-called Delaney Amendment to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act? ... And if the FDA itself elects to violate the law, who is left to protect the health of the public?"(16)

In the mid-1970s it was discovered that the manufacturer of aspartame falsified studies in several ways. One of the techniques used was to cut tumors out of test animals and put them back in the study. Another technique used to falsify the studies was to list animals that had actually died as surviving the study. Thus, the data on brain tumors was likely worse than discussed above. In addition, a former employee of the manufacturer of aspartame told the FDA on July 13, 1977 that the particles of DKP were so large that the rats could discriminate between the DKP and their normal diet.(12)

Stress/Anxiety Disorders

In a double blind study of the effects of aspartame on persons with mood disorders, findings showed a large increase in serious symptoms for persons taking aspartame. Since some of the symptoms were so serious, the Institutional Review Board had to stop the study. Three of the participants had said that they had been "poisoned" by aspartame. Researchers concluded that "individuals with mood disorders are particularly sensitive to this artificial sweetener; its use in this population should be discouraged."(18) One researcher stated about aspartame, "I know it causes seizures. I'm convinced also that it definitely causes behavioral changes. I'm very angry that this substance is on the market. I personally question the reliability and validity of any studies funded by the NutraSweet Company."(19)

Additionally, there are numerous reported cases of low brain serotonin levels, depression and other emotional disorders that have been linked to aspartame and often are relieved by stopping the intake of aspartame.

Epilepsy/Seizures
    Both the Air Force's magazine, Flying Safety, and the Navy's magazine, Navy Physiology, published articles warning about the many dangers of aspartame including the cumulative delirious effects of methanol and the greater likelihood of birth defects. The articles note that the ingestion of aspartame can make pilots more susceptible to seizures and vertigo. Twenty articles sounding warnings about ingesting aspartame while flying have also appeared in the National Business Aircraft Association Digest (NBAA Digest 1993), Aviation Medical Bulletin (1988), The Aviation Consumer (1988), Canadian General Aviation News (1990), Pacific Flyer (1988), General Aviation News (1989), Aviation Safety Digest (1989), and Plane & Pilot (1990) and a paper warning about aspartame was presented at the 57th Annual Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association (Gaffney 1986).

A hotline was even set up for pilots suffering from acute reactions to aspartame ingestion. Over 600 pilots have reported symptoms including some who have reported suffering grand mal seizures in the cockpit due to aspartame.(21)

I really do plead with people, don't become another victim, its a silent wave that has cut through this nation, this poisonous substance is only on the market because money talks. With so many options available, and so man Aspartame-Free formulas coming out, think of the long-term consequences and do the right thing, take care of yourself, you workout, eat healthy, avoid things like hydrogenated oils, why the hell would you ever put this filth into your body?
    Last edited by ElMariachi; 10-17-2005 at 06:59 PM.

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

1 more

References:

1. Metzenbaum H. Discussion of S.1557 (Aspartame Safety Act). Congressional Record-Senate August 1, 1985, p.S 10820.

2. Council on Scientific Affairs. Aspartame: Review of safety issues. JAMA 1985; 254:400-402.

3. Centers for Disease Control. Evaluation of consumer complaints related to aspartame use. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 1984; November 2:605-607.

4. Roberts HJ. Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 2001. (www.sunsentpress.com)

5. Roberts HJ. Aspartame (Nutrasweet): Is It Safe? Philadelphia, The Charles Press, 1989.

6. Roberts HJ. Sweet'ner Dearest: Bittersweet Vignettes about Aspartame (NutraSweet) West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1992. (www.sunsentpress.com)

7. Roberts HJ. Breast Implants or Aspartame (NutraSweet) Disease? The Suppressed Opinion About a Perceived Medicolegal Travesty West Palm Beach, Sunshine Sentinel Press, 1999. (www.sunsentpress.com)

8. Roberts HJ. Useful Insights for Diagnosis, Treatment and Public Health West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Institute for Medical Research, 2002. (www.pb-medical-research.com)

9. Roberts HJ. Reactions attributed to aspartame products: 551 cases. J Appl Nutr 1988; 40:86-94.

10. Roberts HJ. Does aspartame cause human brain cancer? J Advanc M 1991; 4 (Winter):231-241.

11. Roberts HJ. Carpal tunnel syndrome due to aspartame disease. Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients 2000; 198 (November):82-84.

12. Roberts HJ. Aspartame (NutraSweet) addiction. Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients 2000; 198 (January):52-57.

13. Roberts HJ. Difficult Diagnosis: A Guide to the Interpretation of Obscure Illness Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company, 1958.

The very worst one is Saccharin or however the hell you spell that garbage.
    LRV

* Phenylalanine stimulates the release of insulin and growth hormone.
    And you consider this a drawback??? WTF?!
    I used to be way fatter

"Cater to the Hollow" AngelOfMusic's Avatar
    AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50) AngelOfMusic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dont know about any of you guys...but i need to highly avoid sugar alcohols. they give a very painful bloating gassy reaction to my stomach. its horrible! sometimes i cant even move. i realized this after snacking on sugar free jelly bellies at the movies. omg does anyone else have this happen? ive also eaten other candies with sugar alcohols and had the same problems. why does it happen?

sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandow21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

For those still not convinced

For the non believers out there that still deny the harmful effects of artificial sweetners and food additives, maybe you should consider the following books.

Aspartame(Nutrasweet) Is It Safe? by H.J. Roberts, M.D.

Exitotoxins- The Taste That Kills. by Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. (How monosodium glutamate, aspartame and similar substances can cause harm to the brain and nervous system, and their relationship to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrigs disease(ALS), and others.)

In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex. by George R. Shwartz, M.D.

Hard To Swallow. by Doris Sarjeant and Karen Evans (The Truth about food additives.)

Genetically Engineered Food-Changing The Nature Of Nature. by Martin teitel, Ph.D and kimberley A. Wilson (What you need to know to protect yourself, your family, and our planet.)

The Crazy Makers. By Carol Simontachhi (How the food industry is destroying our brains and our children.)

The Chemical Feast by James S. Turner (Ralph Nader's study group report on the food and drug administration.)

A Chemical Feast. by Harding Le Riche ( A rational, commonsense discussion of chemicals in foods by a noted specialist in nutrition and epidemiology.)

Sowing The Wind. by Harrison Wellford (A report from Ralph Nader's center for study of responsive law on food safety and the chemical harvest.)

There are more than 900 studies proving that chemicals are causing and giving us disease. Maybe now you should reconsider the safety of these chemicals.

J Wes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) J Wes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Great Info

Thanks for all the info. Half of it i already knew and the other half was great to learn. I used to be a big fan of fake sugar up until every supplement and regular food item started to put it in their products. There are very few protein powders that doesn't have one of them in it. I personally like stevia, but use also used equal alot too. But with all of them, whenever i drink my tea or just plain water with them ( i used to add some to water just to sweeten it a little), i feel like i am holding the water and feel bloated. i don't get that feeling when i don't use them, that is how i know it is the fake sugars that is causing it. If it wasn't for the bloated feeling, i would still be using them. I never got headaches or anything, just the bloat feeling. thanks
    Some sacrifices are worth making if it means that i can have a body of a "god".

"The biggest crutch to any goal is indecisiveness".

'The hardest decision in bodybuilding is to decide whether you are cutting up or bulking up."

JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JonnyQuest is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Stevia is natural and not artificial. I love Stevia but I like the new kiwi fruit sweetener even better.
    Haji is my source of knowledge.

buffsrule76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffsrule76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my roommate needs to read this, i was drinking crystal light and he was going nutso on me about how bad it is because of artificial sweetners

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sandow21
    For the non believers out there that still deny the harmful effects of artificial sweetners and food additives, maybe you should consider the following books.

Aspartame(Nutrasweet) Is It Safe? by H.J. Roberts, M.D.

Exitotoxins- The Taste That Kills. by Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. (How monosodium glutamate, aspartame and similar substances can cause harm to the brain and nervous system, and their relationship to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Lou Gehrigs disease(ALS), and others.)

In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex. by George R. Shwartz, M.D.

Hard To Swallow. by Doris Sarjeant and Karen Evans (The Truth about food additives.)

Genetically Engineered Food-Changing The Nature Of Nature. by Martin teitel, Ph.D and kimberley A. Wilson (What you need to know to protect yourself, your family, and our planet.)

The Crazy Makers. By Carol Simontachhi (How the food industry is destroying our brains and our children.)

The Chemical Feast by James S. Turner (Ralph Nader's study group report on the food and drug administration.)

A Chemical Feast. by Harding Le Riche ( A rational, commonsense discussion of chemicals in foods by a noted specialist in nutrition and epidemiology.)

Sowing The Wind. by Harrison Wellford (A report from Ralph Nader's center for study of responsive law on food safety and the chemical harvest.)

There are more than 900 studies proving that chemicals are causing and giving us disease. Maybe now you should reconsider the safety of these chemicals.
    BUMP the good stuff!!!!
    Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman

Was using Spenda everyday for about 3-4 week, but not anymore! Was using around 12-15 tbsl. a day. During that time I had a pimple on the inside of my nose, had never had that, EVER! And my energy was low later in the day; also, my throat was dry & I was constantly doing weird stuff with my mouth. LOL. hard to explain.

Anyways, the $hit can't be good. I'm sticking to honey to sweeten my protein drinks etc. It's natural & safe.
    LRV

Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mercurix will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sugar Alcohol

Do sugar alcohols have any carb content in them?

Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brooklyn Zoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by bkman4
    BUMP the good stuff!!!!
    Can you believe people will neg rep you for posting legitimate scientific information about a possible carcinogen? Why do they protect Nutra-Sweet? Does it make them money?
    Last edited by Brooklyn Zoo; 01-16-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    "If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

"People sometimes say what's more important than the country is my politics." - George W. Bush

Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000) Charuto222 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not going to argue for one second against the fact that artificial sweeteners are unhealthy, they were simply never meant for human consumption. But really, do you think that refined sugar was? Not by a long shot pal, you're only fooling yourself if you think that getting fat is the only adverse effect of eating too much of it, there's no such thing as an industrialized product that is healthy, they don't exist. Be it artificial sweeteners or "all natural" refined sugar (a bit of an oxymoron there ) you really do need to strictly limit your intake

Personally, I hate the idea of consuming any sugar except that which I get from fruits and veggies, milk, honey, and other all natural sources.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.