Thread: Protein need

TheWobbler is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Protein need

Hi guys,

First time reader, long term disappointment here. After years of eating, drinking and generally ****ing my life up, I've decided to sort myself out. I've been off the booze for 4 weeks and the weight is coming off.

So I've started lifting weights and I'm loving it. But, I have a question around Protein requirements.

I'm a big guy, and everything I read says I need to be eating around 1g per lb of body weight. Now, I get that when you're lean and have hungry muscles. But I'm not lean. About 40% of my weight is disgusting fat that I want to lose.

Do I still shoot for 1g per lb? Or is that overkill like I suspect it is?

Thanks,

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yeah it is overkill, 150 grams of protein is plenty and i'd say 120 is enough too

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1 gram per lb LEAN bodyweight. Most big guys think they have way more muscle mass than they actually do... anything over 100 is a good place for most average joe trainers.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Jorn Trommelen, PhD recommends 160 grams of protein per day, across four meals, for those seeking the best results. Recommendations by Eric Helms, PhD go up to 0.8-1 grams per pound of bodyweight for building muscle. For most purposes, 120g-160g per day is a very good place to start, with room to add more if you want. The maximum that research has shown to be beneficial for muscle growth is 0.82g/lb, but there’s no danger or waste in going above that (as long as you don’t eat only protein).

It's about lean body mass, regarding gs of protein/weight in lbs. Your muscles and bones use that protein, your fat doesnt.

If you're say, 18% BF and 80kg, and you want to bulk up 145g of protein would be ideal. Less protein would mean a longer recovery and the bulk taking longer. I personally eat 200+g of protein just because it's been a habit for so long.
    Back off, Warchild.

Seriously.

Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500)
    Congrats on the positive changes! For protein intake, aim for 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass, not total weight. This way, you support muscle growth while cutting fat. Focus on nutrient-dense foods and adjust as needed. Keep up the great work!

Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sequet111 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In your case, focusing on protein intake can still be beneficial for weight loss and muscle growth. You may not need to go as high as 1g per lb, but aim for at least 0.8g per lb to support your goals. Keep up the great work!

James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheWobbler View Post
    Hi guys,

First time reader, long term disappointment here. After years of eating, drinking and generally ****ing my life up, I've decided to sort myself out. I've been off the booze for 4 weeks and the weight is coming off.

So I've started lifting weights and I'm loving it. But, I have a question around Protein requirements.

I'm a big guy, and everything I read says I need to be eating around 1g per lb of body weight. Now, I get that when you're lean and have hungry muscles. But I'm not lean. About 40% of my weight is disgusting fat that I want to lose.

Thanks,
    Not overkill, John Meadows recommends it.

James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) James3382 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    Especially not overkill when cutting

Hi guys,

Thanks,
    .7 grams per pound bodyweight of animal protein when bulking should be ok though.

Hi guys,

Thanks,
    I also aim for 2.5g leucine according to many recommendations (e.g. Jeff Nippard). Often .7 grams per pound bodyweight isn't enough to meet that threshold.