anders997 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cutting, enough to lose fat but also gain muscle

Hi all,

Noob here (but familiar with the forum).

I'm wondering how I should go about this.

Currently I am 6'1 tall and 188lb. I would describe myself as 'skinny fat', fat mostly around my belly and waist (love handles), BF % around 22%.
    My goal is to gain muscle and lose body fat. I have been going to the gym the past month, on the ICF 5x5 workout and currently have been eating to maintain (which is around 2700-2900kcal depending on my activity level).

As this isn't really effective for fat loss, I was considering to cut down on my calories, eat around 2400kcal (lose around 0.5kg a week) and follow the cutting version of ICF 5x5. On a cut I would still aim to hit my protein intake target, which I've set for 180g a day.

I am wondering however whether I should eat to maintain and continue strength training, and then lose fat later or cut down calories now and continue working out. I presume I'd still make muscle gains on a cut, but how sustainable would this be. Which would be the better route?

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    assuming you're still a beginner, you could lose like 15 pounds (3-4 months of cutting) and still make some gains. some will tell you to maintain, but personally i'd cut... just preference at this point really

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Every post like this should be required to include a pic otherwise it’s all just a guessing game and a waste of time more times than not to give advice.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

PotentiaX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why would you cut? If you're a noob the best thing you could do is gain muscle in order to change your body composition. Percentage-wise your bodyfat should decrease in ratio to the amount of muscle you've. First, increase your muscle size while minimizing fat gains and when you're satisfied with the amount of muscle you've; go on a cut. If you do it right now, you might end up being a smaller frustrated version of yourself and it'll burn you out. Dieting isn't fun, so first learn to have fun by gaining muscle and then, whenever you feel ready, go on a cut.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    assuming you're still a beginner, you could lose like 15 pounds (3-4 months of cutting) and still make some gains. some will tell you to maintain, but personally i'd cut... just preference at this point really
    I've ended up choosing to do this too. I'll monitor my progress for the next few weeks/months and make changes later on.

Originally Posted by PotentiaX View Post
    Why would you cut? If you're a noob the best thing you could do is gain muscle in order to change your body composition. Percentage-wise your bodyfat should decrease in ratio to the amount of muscle you've. First, increase your muscle size while minimizing fat gains and when you're satisfied with the amount of muscle you've; go on a cut. If you do it right now, you might end up being a smaller frustrated version of yourself and it'll burn you out. Dieting isn't fun, so first learn to have fun by gaining muscle and then, whenever you feel ready, go on a cut.
    I'm on around a -500kcal deficit, surely I can still gain muscle as a beginner? It might not look so bad but if I bulk and train, I'd still technically be gaining body fat on a surplus.
    But you're right when you say I might end up being a smaller frusrated version of myself, considering it's only my stomach and waist area that has a lot of fat, I worry on a cut that other parts of my body will become smaller quicker.

I did bulk a few years back as I was underweight, but I believe it's the bulking and then cutting that made me turn into this 'skinny fat' physique I currently have :/

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by anders997 View Post

I did bulk a few years back as I was underweight, but I believe it's the bulking and then cutting that made me turn into this 'skinny fat' physique I currently have :/
    Then you did it wrong and that makes me think that attempting a recomp wont be successful
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100) rwatson123 is not very well liked. (-100)

Unhappy Lean diet

A diet full of whole grains and wholewheat with lean protein would be the best here. Any carb with a low gi is fine

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Then you did it wrong and that makes me think that attempting a recomp wont be successful
    I definitely did do it wrong as I wasn't working out at all back then, was only worried about my weight