Hans1012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Adding running to push, pull, legs

Hello there,
    I am currently training with the classic "push, pull, legs" workout split and I need your help regarding on how to add endurance training to my plan. The reason for this is, that I was doing marathon running before I got into going to the gym. Now I have so much fun doing my workouts but I miss running and thats why I want to implement some runs in my plan.

At the moment I am doing the "push, pull, legs" routine twice a week with one restday. Now I have two ideas how I could add running to this:
    1.) I could run on my restday
    2.) I could do a "push, pull, legs, endurance" workout routine without restdays

Running on the same day as doing a strenght workout is not possible because my runs are at least an hour long. That would thake to much time in total so I have to do an seperate day only for running.

On the first idea I would still be able to work each muscle group twice a week which sounds great in my opinion but I also like the second idea because there is more running involved. My problem is that I dont know which idea for training is the best one. In my opinion I already made a good progress in building muscle mass from training in the gym and I dont want to loose that. Also I dont want to slow down my future progress more than necassary with my running. But I also would like to run more and improve my endurance a little bit again.

So how would you do it? Also I am happy to get different ideas for such a workout routine.
    Thank you so much for your help and stay safe in these times

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3.) I could not do a PPL

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    3.) I could not do a PPL
    Get out of my head dammit

That isn’t a nice place to be

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants"
    -Sir Isaac Newton

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I read that more than 30 minutes of moderate cardio per day reduces weigh lifting power, strength, and hypertrophy. There was a graph from a paper, but no excerpt of exactly how the test was done.

Light to moderate cardio after a workout is fine, but not before. You can do it on rest days as long as it is not a separate workout for you and you stay below 30 minutes. It can help with soreness if it is easy for you.

You could scale back your leg workout a bit so you can also do a running workout. Runners generate testosterone from running.

GrubMilk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry babe no cardio

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To actually answer your question OP, I think the marathon running is necessarily going to be somewhat at odds with strength training unfortunately. That doesn't mean a compromise is impossible, however.

I actually got into distance running (amateur, okay runtimes, decent distance and endurance though) before lifting, and can sympathize with the desire to run. My longer runs were 6-9 miles, though, never done anything higher caliber than that.

Practically, I think two approaches would be best, with the understanding that you will have to sacrifice some strength potential continuing to do so:
    - alternate running and leg days
    - run shorter distances and aim for speed, perhaps one mile before every other workout
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Darkius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm in this same boat, except I like pool workouts, cycling, and inclined power walking for my cardio. (I wish I could run again.)

I plan to do squats once a week and serious cardio once a week. I wonder how much that would hurt my progress.

I'll also do 20 minutes of mild walking other days, 2.5% incline, 2.5mph, to keep blood flowing and give my slow twitch fibers more activity.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    PPL and marathon training don't mix in my personal opinion.

You need to look at a full body routine, twice a week when in season, three times a week when off season.

I highly recommend the Tactical Barbell conditioning e-book. It teaches you the best way to structure strength and conditioning together. I have used TB successfully for my own trail runs and long endurance events, getting stronger while adding mileage.

ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I actually came to the board today with same question as OP. I run 3 days a week, long run on weekends is 10 miles. I'd like to run longer. I have been doing SS 3 days a week. I also throw in 1-2 days of Mountain Biking. Im 51. At the point where my body never is not hurting and am thinking of switching to a split and was leaning towards PPL. Other option is cardio in winter/lifting in summer. Just do enough of the off season sport to stay somewhat competent.

After reading OP again, Im thinking 3 day PPL split...one day for each.
    Last edited by ENCBBQ; 10-15-2021 at 08:00 AM.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post

You need to look at a full body routine, twice a week when in season, three times a week when off season.

I highly recommend the Tactical Barbell conditioning e-book. It teaches you the best way to structure strength and conditioning together. I have used TB successfully for my own trail runs and long endurance events, getting stronger while adding mileage.
    This advise is too good and will be ignored for that reason.

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post

Did you also compete in strength sports of some sort? Vaguely remember reading you saying something about this.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"