Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

York Premium PVC Hex Dumbbells Question

I'm about to pull the trigger on a dumbbell set. I'm looking for the following:
    1. New set, not interested in used.
    2. 1-50lbs with ability to add heavier DBs later
    3. Little to no smell
    4. Budget is around $1,500 but I'd be willing to spend more if there was a compelling reason. Of course, I don't want to spend extra just because, but I'd be willing to spend somewhere around $1,500 assuming there is a compelling reason to do so.
    5. Safety is important. I don't want something that occasionally breaks, chips, etc.

All that being said, I've come across these York Premium PVC Hex Dumbbells. They seem to be a good value compared to urethane and they advertise "no smell". I can't really find anything online about them though. Is there a downside to PVC? Does it chip? Are their durability problems? I imagine that there must be some reason that it's not a common product.

So, two part question. #1, Have you used PVC dumbbells and is there anything I should know before buying them; and #2, knowing what I'm looking for, what would you recommend?

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Prozach2 View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a dumbbell set. I'm looking for the following:
    1. New set, not interested in used.
    2. 1-50lbs with ability to add heavier DBs later
    3. Little to no smell
    4. Budget is around $1,500 but I'd be willing to spend more if there was a compelling reason. Of course, I don't want to spend extra just because, but I'd be willing to spend somewhere around $1,500 assuming there is a compelling reason to do so.
    5. Safety is important. I don't want something that occasionally breaks, chips, etc.

All that being said, I've come across these York Premium PVC Hex Dumbbells. They seem to be a good value compared to urethane and they advertise "no smell". I can't really find anything online about them though. Is there a downside to PVC? Does it chip? Are their durability problems? I imagine that there must be some reason that it's not a common product.

So, two part question. #1, Have you used PVC dumbbells and is there anything I should know before buying them; and #2, knowing what I'm looking for, what would you recommend?
    I haven't used York PVC hex dumbbells but I would point out that those are ergo/contour grip, and it is worth thinking about if you want a straight grip or an ergo/contour. Also the York ones look pretty similar to the Cap PVC Hex, it may be the same original manufacturer.

You could consider these REP Urethane Coated Round Dumbbell Sets if they ever come back in stock, same product as Rogues: https://www.repfitness.com/condition...-dumbbell-sets

edit: Also I don't know specifically about the York but some of these coated hex dumbbells have chrome handles that tend to unscrew from the head. I don't know if its the same type of PVC, but I had some lightweight PVC coated "cardio" dumbbells as a kid and the PVC eventually peeled off.
    Last edited by ampire; 02-03-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    I haven't used York PVC hex dumbbells but I would point out that those are ergo/contour grip, and it is worth thinking about if you want a straight grip or an ergo/contour. Also the York ones look pretty similar to the Cap PVC Hex, it may be the same original manufacturer.

You could consider these REP Urethane Coated Round Dumbbell Sets if they ever come back in stock, same product as Rogues:

edit: Also I don't know specifically about the York but some of these coated hex dumbbells have chrome handles that tend to unscrew from the head. I don't know if its the same type of PVC, but I had some lightweight PVC coated "cardio" dumbbells as a kid and the PVC eventually peeled off.
    I like those Rep ones. I think those with the red three tier rack is my new front runner. Thanks!

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Prozach2 View Post
    I like those Rep ones. I think those with the red three tier rack is my new front runner. Thanks!
    Sure, looks like their restock is 2/18-2/23 and 4/5-4/13
    https://blog.repfitness.com/rep-product-etas/