Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The voodoo of single-arm static holds

I've been burning out at the end of my upper and pull days with static holds with adjustable DBs, adding plates incrementally when I reach a specific duration for a few sets. The twist: I load up a backpack with a bunch of non-adjustable DBs, sometimes adding weight to that instead. The backpack makes it so the Dumbbells in hand don't have to be particularly to offer a challenging grip test and elicit a great pump in the forearms and traps. Great for core stability too.

Last night I jumped the gun on the bells in hand and added more weight than I'm used to, opting for sets single-arm holds, but the weirdest thing happened... the pump was so insane that I had to cut the set early before my grip failed because I felt like my veins were literally going to bust open. But it wasn't my working arm, it was the resting one! What happened? Was it the backpack's evenly distributed weight failing to be matched by the unevenly split weight toward the front of my body? Is that much of a pump actually potentially dangerous?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I just read through this post five times, and I still have absolutely no idea what you're describing. Could you by any chance upload a picture of you doing this backpack dumbbell static hold?

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I just read through this post five times, and I still have absolutely no idea what you're describing. Could you by any chance upload a picture of you doing this backpack dumbbell static hold?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/supertraining06

I think he's jsut doing this holding a backpack by presumably the hook handle at the top of the back pack.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jamalfudge has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Similarly I get a nice burn when doing high rep kettlebell squats in the front rack position.
    #sunyourballs
    Unvaxed sperm is the next Bitcoin
    ⒻⓊⒸⓀ ⒷⒾⒹⒺⓃ

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/user/supertraining06

I think he's jsut doing this holding a backpack by presumably the hook handle at the top of the back pack.
    This is just a link to the channel, what's the specific video?

But no this doesn't sound right; I load up a backpack, set it down on a chair, feed my arms through the straps to wear the backpack and squat it up. Then I grab the adjustable dumbbells, grip them tight, and hold them to the aides of my body. I brace my core, squeeze my glutes, hips forward, shoulders down and back, and head neutral as I struggle to maintain posture against the load of the backpack. Set the timer on my phone on the floor with my toe and go, letting the troubles of life drift away as I'm thrust into an internal battle for the achievement of strength and zen.

In the case of the single-arm variation, it feels more natural to hold the bell in front of my body instead of the side... And then the veins in my non-working arm proceed to threaten to absolutely ****ing rupture.
    Last edited by Xpiro; 08-31-2020 at 10:37 PM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    This is just a link to the channel, what's the specific video?

But no this doesn't sound right; I load up a backpack, set it down on a chair, feed my arms through the straps to wear the backpack and squat it up. Then I grab the adjustable dumbbells, grip them tight, and hold them to the aides of my body. I brace my core, squeeze my glutes, hips forward, shoulders down and back, and head neutral as I struggle to maintain posture against the load of the backpack. Set the timer on my phone on the floor with my toe and go, letting the troubles of life drift away as I'm thrust into an internal battle for the achievement of strength and zen.

In the case of the single-arm variation, it feels more natural to hold the bell in front of my body instead of the side... And then the veins in my non-working arm proceed to threaten to absolutely ****ing rupture.
    Oh that's weird. Not sure why it did that.
    Should have be Ed Coan demonstrating one arm barbell holds.

What's the purpose of the backpack? I'm failing to see the point of it
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

My adjustables only go up to 52.5 lbs each (I can add plates from the other DB if I do single-arm) so a backpack with an upwards of 115 lbs makes the holds challenging by adding resistance to my traps/back, in addition to offering a challenge in posture and bracing.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    My adjustables only go up to 52.5 lbs each (I can add plates from the other DB if I do single-arm) so a backpack with an upwards of 115 lbs makes the holds challenging by adding resistance to my traps/back, in addition to offering a challenge in posture and bracing.
    How does this help your forearms, as indicated in the OP? I don’t see it...
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
    How does this help your forearms, as indicated in the OP? I don’t see it...
    I swear I've seen increased vascularity and some size, nothing substantial, in my forearms since l started doing these. I can't think of anything that I started incorporating alongside these that could be responsible.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Weird thing is, I guessed what the OP was saying the first time but was completely uncertain just what I was reading. Then read what you guessed and felt totally stupid because I reread the OP and it made crystal clear sense like you said it. Then he went and reaffirmed what I originally thought lol.