wollins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rogue Echo Or Assault Airbike?

I'm trying to decide which Fan bike to get for my clients ... the Assault or the Echo? I'm primarily interested to know (for real ... in other words honestly 😉 ) which of the two is better for Low Intensity Steady State cardio? A fair number of my clients can't do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) but yet I'd like to give them an alternative to the treadmill. On the other hand I'd like something that'll challenge my fitter clients. I WILL be getting a fanbike. The question is which of the two is more "all around" for LISS and HITT?

So your help is needed! I concede that neither the Rogue Echo Bike or Assault Airbike are great for Low Intensity Steady State cardio but which of the two would be better for it?

Thanks!

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I haven't used it, but reading the description makes me think the Concept2 BikeErg may be more like what you want.

https://www.roguefitness.com/concept2-bike-erg

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're going to compare the Echo and the Assault, you may as well throw the Xebex Air Bike and the Airdyne AD8 in the mix.

The Xebex is a slightly less expensive version of the Assault bike and the Airdyne AD8 is a much more refined fan bike than the other offerings.

The Airdyne is belt drive, has a nice pocket to hold a phone, and simply looks more appealing and "polished" than the other bikes. If it's not going into a Crossfit facility, that's the direction I'd go.

The Assault and Xebex are going to be louder (chain drive) and more utilitarian-looking, which makes them better suited to a commercial Crossfit-type facility.

With that said, I wouldn't use any of them for LISS. A traditional stationary bike, possibly even a recumbent, would be a better choice for clients who aren't interested in, or are unable to perform, HIIT/Tabatas...especially if you opt for a model with a built-in TV.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The Echo bike is also belt driven. There are quite a few good reviews on YouTube for them. That being said, the Bike Erg is probably more what you are looking for longer distances. I have both the Echo bike and Bike Erg. The Echo is great for total body punishment, while the Bike Erg is more of true bike with gears, you can adjust the intake of air to increase or decrease air flow. Just like the Erg(rower). I have my Bike Erg synced up with Zwift and Polar H10 heart monitor strap.

wollins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post
    With that said, I wouldn't use any of them for LISS. A traditional stationary bike, possibly even a recumbent, would be a better choice for clients who aren't interested in, or are unable to perform, HIIT/Tabatas...especially if you opt for a model with a built-in TV.
    That's a good point ... but I was attracted to the idea of "moving" the upper and lower body at the same time. Having said that I know that the upper body doesn't get the same intensity as the lower in a fan bike but that's just as well cause of my client base. After reading this thread I'm really starting to question my decision of getting an air/fan bike after all.

My problem is lack of space. I have a 400 sq ft studio where I do one on one sessions and its crammed with everything I need .... and certainly everything my clients would need. I just have space for one more thing and an alternative to my treadmill would be an excellent addition. Therein lies the problem though ... because I only have space for ONE more thing I'd like to cover my whole range of clients with that.

My clients range in age from early 20's right up to mid 70's! Anywhere from really fit people to people with slight to moderate mobility issues. The treadmill really covers everybody but I'd like to offer ALL my clients an alternative that's easy on the joints ... "easy" enough to do to accommodate LISS ... but "hard" enough to do if called upon. So its starting to sound like a fan bike is not gonna fit the bill based on my criteria.

So guys ... based on my criteria ... if you were me and you had to pick ONE piece of equipment what would it be?

Thanks!

Colin.

P.S. A rower MIGHT have fit the bill only it has too big of a footprint.

Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Luke19341 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I also train a variety of people. The Bike Erg can be as easy or hard as you want to make it. I love the fact that you can use it with Zwift. I also love all of the metrics that the monitor has. The Concept 2 app will track all of your clients data. People like to see measurable results.

buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50) buddy0329 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I haven't tried either of the bikes you're asking about but initially considered buying the Echo bike or the Bike Erg from Concept2.

I chose the C2 bike because I didnt want a fanbike that would be sub-optimal for LISS. I have no regrets (I also have the rower and the SkiErg, both with the PM5 monitor). I like doing 60 minute LISS on the Bike at the lower fan settings, usually with something on the iPad to occupy my mind, but the PM5 monitor also has built in interval programs and you can create your own too in any combination of work and rest time, calorie targets, distance targets, etc, it's all so easy.

I know when I setup up HIIT intervals on the hardest fan settings I easily get destroyed doing 15 or 20 second HITT intervals. Destroyed.

I have it hooked up to a Polar H10 and can view my results versus my historical performances (heart rate, distance, watts, calories, duration, interval details, etc) on the online C2 log which the phone app (connected to the PM5 via bluetooth) will upload results to for historical comparisons. It's a great way for me to assess my effort and progress over time.

I still think about the idea of adding the Echo bike to my home gym from time to time (stupid marketing has gotten to me), but every time I get that itch, I fire up a HIIT session on the C2 bike and am reminded of how capable it is to decimating me less than 10 minutes time. I've performed zero maintenance on it since I bought it a year ago.
    Last edited by buddy0329; 03-11-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rottweiler59 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have the AD8 and personally think it’s much better than the assault bike. The last assault bike I tried sounded like a bag of bolts rattling around. So noisy. As stashed said the belt drive fan is very quiet even at full sprint

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by wollins View Post
    That's a good point ... but I was attracted to the idea of "moving" the upper and lower body at the same time. Having said that I know that the upper body doesn't get the same intensity as the lower in a fan bike but that's just as well cause of my client base. After reading this thread I'm really starting to question my decision of getting an air/fan bike after all.

My problem is lack of space. I have a 400 sq ft studio where I do one on one sessions and its crammed with everything I need .... and certainly everything my clients would need. I just have space for one more thing and an alternative to my treadmill would be an excellent addition. Therein lies the problem though ... because I only have space for ONE more thing I'd like to cover my whole range of clients with that.

My clients range in age from early 20's right up to mid 70's! Anywhere from really fit people to people with slight to moderate mobility issues. The treadmill really covers everybody but I'd like to offer ALL my clients an alternative that's easy on the joints ... "easy" enough to do to accommodate LISS ... but "hard" enough to do if called upon. So its starting to sound like a fan bike is not gonna fit the bill based on my criteria.

So guys ... based on my criteria ... if you were me and you had to pick ONE piece of equipment what would it be?

Thanks!

Colin.

P.S. A rower MIGHT have fit the bill only it has too big of a footprint.
    Scifit bike might work its got upper and lower cranks and it operates seated so it is good for older clients but they are really expensive. I am not sure how they are for really high intensity, I've only used one as a low intensity warmup at a gym I used to go to.
    example:
    https://www.scifit.com/product/pro2/

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wollins View Post
    I'm trying to decide which Fan bike to get for my clients ... the Assault or the Echo? I'm primarily interested to know (for real ... in other words honestly ������ ) which of the two is better for Low Intensity Steady State cardio? A fair number of my clients can't do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) but yet I'd like to give them an alternative to the treadmill. On the other hand I'd like something that'll challenge my fitter clients. I WILL be getting a fanbike. The question is which of the two is more "all around" for LISS and HITT?

So your help is needed! I concede that neither the Rogue Echo Bike or Assault Airbike are great for Low Intensity Steady State cardio but which of the two would be better for it?

Thanks!
    You said you wanted honesty, right? IMHO, neither bike is ideal for new clients, people in average cardiovascular condition or certain "special" populations such as asthmatic clients or people with heart conditions, for instance. Both bikes are popular in CrossFit gyms for a reason; many of those members are used to working at high intensity levels for relatively short periods of time (power output is their main training protocol).

Have you thought about getting a spin bike for your clients not accustomed to HIIT or SIT training? I believe this is a more practical piece of equipment to start them on. They can control the resistance easily, for a more effectively personalized workout.

Your fitter clients can either, IMHO, learn to jump rope (if they exhibit decent-good coordination skills) or they can try using a VersaClimber on high resistance. They can get a superior anaerobic lower body workout (besides cardiovascular benefits) if they consistently enjoy using it.

You CAN do effective LISS on the Schwinn Air Assault bike. I've alternated with LISS, HIIT and SIT for a few years and loved both, the results and the intensity of my training. But again, one should have a strong cardiovascular foundation and no major health/medical issues (such as asthma or cardiac conditions) that may not make this bike safe. This piece of equipment works as such that if one cannot put enough power output into 5-10 minute bursts of "all-out" energy, they simply will not burn enough calories, in general.
    Last edited by etet1919; 03-12-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Please go and try out the Concept 2 bike erg somewhere. It has fan resistance from 1 to 10 and anywhere in between. I use it with my cardiac rehab clients. I can monitor progress with making the resistance harder, as well as using the programmable monitor for what we need to accomplish. I have also created a stress test for use on the Bike Erg.

largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100) largocream is not very well liked. (-100)
    nice

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kathygraham78 View Post
    Do you know how much cost the insurance for these bikes?
    Depends on your age and driving record.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Murser View Post
    Depends on your age and driving record.
    This. Get busted for one DUI on a stationary bike and even Geiko won't touch you.