tgm1024 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Buying a set of (fixed) dumbbells. Should I risk getting contoured handles? Are they

Ok, I'm getting a set of fixed dumbbells.

However:

In all of the gyms I've worked out in during my life, the handles on the dumbbells have been straight. It's a natural grip for me, or at least the one I'm most used to. All the way up to the 115's, I've never had a problem with them.

So what's with all the contoured ones sold now with the bulge in the middle?

1. Is it somehow less (or more?) safe for hand bones over time?

2. Is it comfortable?

...or 3. is it a fad?

PS. Is this price gouging going to end when there's a vaccine? Good grief!

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I like contoured handles fine and it really comes down to personal preference. Ideally, I'd recommend trying them out in a store or gym, but finding a store open with them in stock may be challenging.

If you know you like straight handles, I'd just buy straight.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As above, it's just personal preference. I worked out with straight handles for many years and they were fine. However, during my last 2 years in commercial gyms I joined a gym that had Hamptons with contoured handles and I actually preferred those.

As for your PS, as long as supply remains low and demand remains high, prices will remain elevated. None of the manufacturers even did Memorial Day or July 4th sales this year because they didn't need to.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    I like contoured handles fine and it really comes down to personal preference. Ideally, I'd recommend trying them out in a store or gym, but finding a store open with them in stock may be challenging.
    Sound.

If you know you like straight handles, I'd just buy straight.
    I didn't originally want to open this particular pandora's box on a forum, but I'm (carefully) introducing my teens into bodybuilding/strength-training, and I'm worried if there some kind of bone-formation injury, or similar maladies awaiting, besides the 10,000 other things that can go wrong with teens schlepping steel around.

For instance, does it turn your wrist outward during heavy presses? At that point, a contour might make the pressure go up or down on wrist end of metacarpal-5 as it slams downward into the valley of that bulge; I'm not sure which.

So I basically don't know if it's there to solve a major problem or is just a fad that eventually causes a slew of other ones.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    As above, it's just personal preference. I worked out with straight handles for many years and they were fine. However, during my last 2 years in commercial gyms I joined a gym that had Hamptons with contoured handles and I actually preferred those.
    Did you ever feel a strain or tiredness (or anything different at all that wasn't positive) when you finished a workout, particularly on the [relatively] heavier days?

I'm also discovering that some brands really have an accented bulge in the middle, while others are much more slight.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    Sound.

I didn't originally want to open this particular pandora's box on a forum, but I'm (carefully) introducing my teens into bodybuilding/strength-training, and I'm worried if there some kind of bone-formation injury, or similar maladies awaiting, besides the 10,000 other things that can go wrong with teens schlepping steel around.

For instance, does it turn your wrist outward during heavy presses? At that point, a contour might make the pressure go up or down on wrist end of metacarpal-5 as it slams downward into the valley of that bulge; I'm not sure which.

So I basically don't know if it's there to solve a major problem or is just a fad that eventually causes a slew of other ones.
    I'm willing to bet that contoured handles are all about ergonomic preferences and do virtually nothing to prevent injury. As long as your kids don't try to move more weight than they can securely grip/manage, they should be fine. The same advice would apply to any type of handle/bar.

I will say, the biggest mistake I've made is powering through repetitive use injuries. DOMS and muscle soreness are one thing, but pain during a movement needs to be corrected. It's a good lesson for your teens because when you're young you can just keep going and you'll regret it later.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    Did you ever feel a strain or tiredness (or anything different at all that wasn't positive) when you finished a workout, particularly on the [relatively] heavier days?
    Zero issues with straight or contoured DB handles in all the years I have been lifting. I have carpal tunnel, so if a wrist problem was to be had by the switch to contoured, I probably would have had it.

FWIW, these are the ones they had at the last commercial I used (and I am also in the process of collecting a set of these for home use also). https://www.hamptonfit.com/shop/dumb...mbbells-pairs/

I'm willing to bet that contoured handles are all about ergonomic preferences and do virtually nothing to prevent injury. As long as your kids don't try to move more weight than they can securely grip/manage, they should be fine. The same advice would apply to any type of handle/bar.

I will say, the biggest mistake I've made is powering through repetitive use injuries. DOMS and muscle soreness are one thing, but pain during a movement needs to be corrected. It's a good lesson for your teens because when you're young you can just keep going and you'll regret it later.
    Oh, they're already both very clear on this. In fact just recently I was talking about a technique and I said "by the way, remember..." and one of them interrupted with "We know, stop if you feel a twinge or a pain". Wasn't where I was going with it, but it made me chuckle. I'm going to be on them about this though. But like everything with kids, it's a balancing act: In this particular case, I don't want to accidentally encourage them to /not/ tell me me when something seems wrong.

In any case, this side-topic is potentially a very lengthy off-ramp.
    Last edited by tgm1024; 07-20-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Registered User Cpl.Girthington's Avatar
    Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000)
    Looking back, I almost exclusively used straight handled dumbbells. I purchased a full set of 12 sided vtx dumbbells many years back to outfit my home gym. Their handles are contoured, and I like them. It is essentially a non issue in my personal experience, other than going to a gym to try, you may walk in to a sporting goods store or play it again sports and feel for yourself, but in my experience doesn't really matter at all to me. Good luck.