zeeshanmn is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Leg pain after running

Hey guys so I've been having this major issue since the past year and I can't figure out the reason.

The problem is that I start having severe pain in my lower calves and ankles after running for just 5 minutes, even after doing a lot of dynamic stretching. If I don't warm up, my knee joints also start to give out. I used to play basketball a lot before as well. Now I can't even play properly due to this issue.

I weigh about 89kg. Gained 11kg over the past year. Approximately have 25%-27% body fat. I have been weightlifting for the past 7 months and I was in bulking phase for 5 months till last week. I never skip leg day and I believe I have strong legs. Can easily squat 60kg and have 270kg 1RM on leg press. My calves are quite visible as well. My lower body is relatively bigger though, from hips to thighs.

I've become really frustrated now because this problem has become a huge hindrance to my sports and cardio.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Cheers.

RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you been professionally fitted for running shoes? First step I would take.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    89 kg is a bit heavy if your form isn't dialed down.

What is the duration of your running session?

Originally Posted by RedRusty View Post
    Have you been professionally fitted for running shoes? First step I would take.
    Not professionally. But I did buy a new pair of Adidas running shoes to see if it makes it better. Previously had Reebok sports/casual shoes. It didn't make any difference.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    89 kg is a bit heavy if your form isn't dialed down.

What is the duration of your running session?
    Well I am trying to cut now, for which I need to do HIIT. And I can't do that unless I resolve this issue. I last for about 15 min on good days. On bad ones I can go till 10 min. I can't survive on steady state cardio.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zeeshanmn View Post
    Well I am trying to cut now, for which I need to do HIIT. And I can't do that unless I resolve this issue. I last for about 15 min on good days. On bad ones I can go till 10 min. I can't survive on steady state cardio.
    Well you don't need to do HIIT for a cut. Or cardio for that matter. Bulks and cuts are largely outlined by calorie consumption vs calorie expenditure throughout the day. Cardio during a bulk or cut only serves to shave more calories.

HIIt's best when you're already proficient at an exercise and are ready to dial it to 11 to reap the benefits. Otherwise it's not good to jump into it to burn away the fat when your body's not inclined to handle it.

This mainly seems like a problem because you're choosing to run. It's high impact for heavy people and you can only handle so much time with it. It shouldn't be your anaerobic cardio approach. What's wrong with the bike?
    Last edited by GeneralSerpant; 12-07-2018 at 01:12 AM.

nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nat62761 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I started running I also had a lot of leg pain I think its the body's response to the stress/impact of running. I thought I had lretty strong calves but a trainer had me do seated calf raises and seated reverse calf raises and that seemed to help. With time it should get better... try to ease into running by slowly increasing the time/intensity and rest/ice/NSAIDs in between. Good luck!

Yep I'd get shin splints and had to avoid aggravating a sprained foot. I was around 195 lbs. with high body fat. I eventually developed my form by practicing anything between 800 and 5k meters steady state on treadmill in shortest time possible. Shin splints and the foot sprain became non-issue.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Well you don't need to do HIIT for a cut. Or cardio for that matter. Bulks and cuts are largely outlined by calorie consumption vs calorie expenditure throughout the day. Cardio during a bulk or cut only serves to shave more calories.

HIIt's best when you're already proficient at an exercise and are ready to dial it to 11 to reap the benefits. Otherwise it's not good to jump into it to burn away the fat when your body's not inclined to handle it.

This mainly seems like a problem because you're choosing to run. It's high impact for heavy people and you can only handle so much time with it. It shouldn't be your anaerobic cardio approach. What's wrong with the bike?
    Yeah seems like it. I'm doing cardio on the bike for the time being. Can easily go up to 30-45 minutes. Hope to get back into playing basketball on the team again.

Originally Posted by nat62761 View Post
    When I started running I also had a lot of leg pain I think its the body's response to the stress/impact of running. I thought I had lretty strong calves but a trainer had me do seated calf raises and seated reverse calf raises and that seemed to help. With time it should get better... try to ease into running by slowly increasing the time/intensity and rest/ice/NSAIDs in between. Good luck!
    After applying ice and doing some static stretches for 2 days, I was able to go for leg day. Felt much better after the session. Calf raises helped a lot. Will keep on transitioning slowly now and see the effect, especially now with the cutting phase.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm a runner who didn't start until late 20s (so not a kid) - it sucks when you first start, for sure. Just like with lifting, your body adapts to the exercise and becomes better at it over time.

It's not for everyone - but switching to Vibram Five Fingers transformed running for me - from something I hated and forced myself to do to something I truly love. If you're interested I can share more...

I also have had shin splints and achilles pain from time to time, I think all runners face it to some degree - for me, the best preventative measure for calves/ankles has been achilles stretching with a slow controlled eccentric lowering (usually done with toes on an elevated surface like a curb or a staircase so I can lower my heels below my toes.)

One last thing - more so than in many other forms of cardio - bodyweight really impacts one's running. If you're out of shape and overweight, running can be a nightmare. May be best to use lower impact cardio (like mentioned above) until you have a more efficient body composition.

BUT - for health benefits and bang for your buck, I think running is the best.