Thread: Advice/info

peterc1730 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice/info

Hi,

I've always been into fitness but because of work I've never felt I have been able to put all my time and mental energy into what I feel passionate about. I am considering changing jobs and becoming a personal trainer, is this a good option and whats the write way to go about it? Would just like some advice really?

mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpaquette has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you have any secondary education making you qualified to be a PT? What makes you want to be a PT? What are you doing now?

I use to think I wanted to be a PT, and even have a Bachelors in Kinesiology. However, I quickly learned I did not want to become a PT. You're going to have to put in a lot of LONG hours, and you'll need to be able to work with people well to build up a strong client base.
    Supplement a good diet: don't diet on supplements.

MAN Sports Lead Rep

Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion & in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

IG: @eminentandpowerfulco

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mtpaquette View Post
    Do you have any secondary education making you qualified to be a PT? What makes you want to be a PT? What are you doing now?

I use to think I wanted to be a PT, and even have a Bachelors in Kinesiology. However, I quickly learned I did not want to become a PT. You're going to have to put in a lot of LONG hours, and you'll need to be able to work with people well to build up a strong client base.
    I'm going to assume it being hard wasn't the reason you lost interest. What was the reason?
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Mrshark23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by peterc1730 View Post
    Hi,

I've always been into fitness but because of work I've never felt I have been able to put all my time and mental energy into what I feel passionate about. I am considering changing jobs and becoming a personal trainer, is this a good option and whats the write way to go about it? Would just like some advice really?
    If you don't have kids etc then it's a good career to get into. It does involve a lot of long hours, and you need to have strong communication/relationship building skills. I'm actually about to go back to education to study Sport and Fitness (which will officially qualify me as a personal trainer after 2 years of my 5 year degree) but I don't think I will go into it for the reasons above.

So basically, if you're single, motivated af, and have the knowledge/personal skills to do it, then go for it. Bro.

Good luck either way.
    I Bicep curl my toddler. Who needs a gym?

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can do it with kids, there are in fact plenty of single mothers who are trainers, as well as attached ones - but because of the hours of personal training it works better if the trainer's the stay-at-home parent - 80% of personal training is done either side of a normal 9-5 work day, which is when kids are in school and (possibly) childcare. So the PT goes trains people, comes home, the other parent hands over and goes to their job, several hours later they come home, changeover again, back to training people. That's how it's done in my household. But then you can't go far from home and it's just a part-time income, equivalent to a lowish full-time wage. And doing it part-time you're not going to rise to the top of the industry in skills or income; the waiter who'll never become a restaurant manager. But if you're happy at that level and knew to expect it, that's fine.

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrshark23 View Post
    If you don't have kids etc then it's a good career to get into. It does involve a lot of long hours, and you need to have strong communication/relationship building skills. I'm actually about to go back to education to study Sport and Fitness (which will officially qualify me as a personal trainer after 2 years of my 5 year degree) but I don't think I will go into it for the reasons above.

So basically, if you're single, motivated af, and have the knowledge/personal skills to do it, then go for it. Bro.

Good luck either way.
    I disagree. I have 4 kids. 2 in school all day, 1 in school 2 hours a day, and a 20month old.
    My husband works a ft job and i also have another part time job and I am home with the kids a lot. I own my own training business and am certified. I do not punch a time card. The numbers of clients i have, and inherently the number of hours I work, I totally control.
    I am also a figure competitor in prep.

I train 5 clients a week multiple times a week, at least (i admittedly dont charge enough in general, but i have my reason). If i charged the standard rates around here (northeast ohio), I'd be making between $1500 and $2k a month.

I would say i am physically with my children for a multitude of waking hours each and every day...at least 6 or 7. I could work more and make more but dont need to.
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kitpapa View Post
    I disagree. I have 4 kids [...]

I train 5 clients a week multiple times a week, at least (i admittedly dont charge enough in general, but i have my reason). If i charged the standard rates around here (northeast ohio), I'd be making between $1500 and $2k a month.
    Which is why I said:

You can be a PT if you're the primary caregiver with children, but it'll be part-time and your income will be limited to the equivalent of a lowish income full-time job. And you won't reach the top professionally or financially. That's fine for many people, that's my situation, too. But it's something to bear in mind if a person's thinking about becoming a trainer: realistic expectations.

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Which is why I said:

You can be a PT if you're the primary caregiver with children, but it'll be part-time and your income will be limited to the equivalent of a lowish income full-time job. And you won't reach the top professionally or financially. That's fine for many people, that's my situation, too. But it's something to bear in mind if a person's thinking about becoming a trainer: realistic expectations.
    I wasnt disagreeing with you. I was disagreeing with the person i quoted. And realistically I can make much more and my income doesnt have to be limited. I choose it to be
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mrshark23 View Post
    If you don't have kids etc then it's a good career to get into.
    ...I love the.... 'etc'

As if to say, 'As long as you don't have kids or any other annoying distractions, you'll be fine.' lol

BTW, I had my boys in the middle of my career. I believe they were the reason I worked twice as hard. So, children often inspire us to accomplish things we may not have otherwise accomplished.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    ...I love the.... 'etc'

As if to say, 'As long as you don't have kids or any other annoying distractions, you'll be fine.' lol

BTW, I had my boys in the middle of my career. I believe they were the reason I worked twice as hard. So, children often inspire us to accomplish things we may not have otherwise accomplished.
    ^^amen!
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT