JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to get Rippetoe results

I saw an article on Starting Strength that said someone incresed their lifts by adding 5lb every workout

I am

5'10
    176lbs
    19% BF

Lifts are

Bench 3x5 135
    Squat 3x5 135
    Deadlift 3x5 165

My TDEE is 2400, if I bump to 2700 or 3000 am I going to be able to put 5 lbs every workout? I am aiming to get 3 plate squat, 2 plate bench and 4 plate deadlift

Thanks so much guys, this is the best forum because of you guys n gals

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Kind of something you have to play around with, and the macros too. Also may have to see what time of day works best for you, and how soon after eating or fasted training etc work best for you.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try it and see..
    Get the Starting strength app on your phone (actually it's optional because you can do it yourself) and run it for some time. Consider reading the book. It may take a while to hit your targets, you may need a few deloads and work back up again, maybe even a full reset or two, and start over more than once, but if you keep pushing those targets are realistic for many people as a long term project.

If you don't know how to powerclean and can't get anyone to show you, consider (free phone app) Stronglifts 5*5 which is a slightly higher volume dumbed down version of starting strength (I liked it)

But it may take you some time, don't think you can add 5 lbs to bar (or 10 lbs at first) every time and go from empty bar to 4 plates DL in a single unbroken progression. Some people might manage that, but normally it will take a couple of years.. maybe more.. maybe less...

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The kind of results they are talking about are due to a number of factors
    - you start well below your true max weight for 3 sets of 5 and ramp up - hopefully your max moves away from you too so it takes time to hit it.
    - you eat a lot to make sure you are gaining muscle as fast as possible
    - it works best in untrained young men with an athletic background

In reality, people who don't satisfy all the above criteria will not always keep up with the aggressive progression.

There is no magic in the program unless you count the important points that the progression pushes people to do more than they think they can do and avoids dilution of efforts with too many different exercises (very common rookie error)

ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ahox is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It would be more like 5000 cals to appropriately run starting strength as prescribed at your height/weight/lifting stats. This is not a get abs fast program it is a strength program so adding a measly 300-500 cals to your diet won’t do the trick.

JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10) JevinR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ahox View Post
    It would be more like 5000 cals to appropriately run starting strength as prescribed at your height/weight/lifting stats. This is not a get abs fast program it is a strength program so adding a measly 300-500 cals to your diet won’t do the trick.
    5000? I'm not sure how someone might manage that, but I'll try it out. Repped everyone in the thread, thanks so much guys!
    Was having trouble, these few posts have made a huge difference.

But it may take you some time, don't think you can add 5 lbs to bar (or 10 lbs at first) every time and go from empty bar to 4 plates DL in a single unbroken progression.

There is no magic in the program unless you count the important points that the progression pushes people to do more than they think they can do and avoids dilution of efforts with too many different exercises (very common rookie error)

Kind of something you have to play around with, and the macros too.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JevinR View Post
    5000? I'm not sure how someone might manage that, but I'll try it out. Repped everyone in the thread, thanks so much guys!

But it may take you some time, don't think you can add 5 lbs to bar (or 10 lbs at first) every time and go from empty bar to 4 plates DL in a single unbroken progression.

Eating 5000 calories is a great way to get obese for you; eat enough to progress on lifts, that is enough to keep gaining muscle mass without excess fat.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Aim to gain 2lbs a month 3 at the very most. Any more and you are gaining unneeded fat. If you do not care about fat gain and just want to be as strong as possible then eat as much as you want.

Also be careful who you take advice from on the internet. Make sure to do some research that is not on forums to insure that what you are being told is actually good advice.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Personally I wouldn't eat 5k calories as that's a quick way to just get fat. If strength is your primary goal and you could careless about body composition I guess go for it.

Personally I would just eat in a sensible surplus and follow the program to a T, reset if you need to, monitor your weight/nutrition on a weekly basis and get enough sleep for recovery.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ahox View Post

Balls
    Delirious Mutant.

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I saw an article on Starting Strength that said someone incresed their lifts by adding 5lb every workout

I am

5'10
    176lbs
    19% BF

Lifts are

Bench 3x5 135
    Squat 3x5 135
    Deadlift 3x5 165

My TDEE is 2400, if I bump to 2700 or 3000 am I going to be able to put 5 lbs every workout? I am aiming to get 3 plate squat, 2 plate bench and 4 plate deadlift

That's impossible for us to answer. TRY IT and see.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't eat 5000 calories a day.
    Eat sensibly normal quantities focus on quality of food (that means fresh vegetables etc, not just a high protein number) and also focus on getting enough sleep and rest.

When on a program like Starting strength, there will be times when you are struggling with the heavy weight and you'll need to eat more, traditionally by drinking lots of milk. Save the really big eating as temporary periods when trying to break plateau and not a general habit or you'll get fat. Even still 5000 is too much unless you are Eddie Hall, Nick Best etc.

Ignore and old articles you see about drinking a gallon of milk a day ("GOMAD"), that was a *temporary* tactic for very young muscular very hard training football players to break plateau and even then it may be too much. It was never long term advice and not suitable for most people anyway. Milk is good, just don't go nuts unless you are training to be fat.

RiaanUHM is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I am

5'10
    176lbs
    19% BF

Lifts are

Bench 3x5 135
    Squat 3x5 135
    Deadlift 3x5 165

Hey man

There are plenty of ways to increase strength and power.

The biggest one I'll give you is don't just go the gym with the goal of lifting heavier. Sometimes normal bodybuilding routines with a wide variety of exercises done in a workout will lead to massive strength gains if combined properly with a strength training regimen.

They key is to combine powerlifting with hypertrophy training. Look at Marius Pudganovski (excuse the spelling), he is built like a bodybuilder, but one of the best strongmen of all time.
    advertising/promotion not permitted