geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)

It's Time For Change. Dream Body, meet Geokilla

Hey everyone. I've been part of the bodybuilding.com forums for a few years now, and I've had some stupid threads and posts, but they're all genuine questions and concerns when I make them. Growing up as a kid, I remember watching Bowflex infomercials and thinking to myself "One day, I want to look just like him." It's been at least a decade since then, and I've decided this year is going to be my year. 2018 will be the year when I achieve my dream body. No longer will I be another weak, tall and skinny Chinese dude. I want to look like a Calvin Klein underwear model. I want to be stronger and more flexible. I want a body that will make women say "Omg that dude is ****ing hot." Sure it may not help me get women but I'm fairly confident it'll raise my confidence with women, and in my own physical appearance. There are many reasons why my confidence is shot when it comes to my body and physical appearance, and this is one of them. If you guys want to know the others, I can share as well.

Anyways my plan is to use BodySpace to my advantage and try to update my stats around every 2 weeks. Once I figure out how to use it. I'm still trying to figure out how to change my profile location for example. I will definitely post progress photos, but I'm not sure what is considered acceptable for progress photos. I don't have a full length mirror so I'll probably set my camera on the tripod and set a timer to take some photos. I plan on updating this thread every two workouts, and to use it for form check videos.

My goals, in no particular order:
    • Increase my weight from 150lbs to 186lbs by end of 2018
    • Increase my bench press to 185lbs for 5 reps by end of 2018
    • Increase my squats to 295lbs for 5 reps by end of 2018
    • Increase my deadlifts to 315lbs for 5 reps by end of 2018
    • Increase my overhead press to 135lbs for 5 reps by end of 2018

What I do not plan on doing is counting calories or macros and meal prep. The reason is simple: My family cooks for all of us and we all eat what is cooked together. Plus I do not like having to watch what I eat. To me, it ruins an enjoyable aspect of life. Does this mean I might progress slower? Probably.

-----------------

I am currently on the Fierce 5 Barbell program right now. Had to make some minor adjustments to it because I know the limitations to my body, how tight my muscles are, and how weak I am. Before these two workouts, I haven't worked out since the end of October 2017.

January 5 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 95lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps [easy]
    Barbell Bench Press: 50lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps [easy]
    Dumbbell Rows: 10lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps [easy]
    Face Pulls: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 95lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps <--- How do I stop my feet from sliding off the platform?
    Skull Crusher: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Gotta learn how to do this properly
    Hip Thrusts on Leg Extension: 50lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Did not feel comfortable or like I did this properly at all

January 9 - Workout B
    Barbell Squat: 100lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps [easy]
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps <--- I think I'm arching my back too much
    Romanian Deadlift: 65lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Muscles very tight. Not good form
    Lat Pulldown: 55lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    Ab Crunch: 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Want something a bit more intense
    Stairmaster: Level 4 Calorie Burner X 5 minutes

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In.

B should be a Pause Squat btw. if subbing front squats.

for abs try Pallof Press (youtube)
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After another two workouts, I think I found the weights I consider to be a good weight to use for the Fierce 5 program. However I noticed during my workout I continue to have some significant left-right muscle imbalance going on. I find I'm using the right side of my body more to perform the repetitions. Say squats for example, I think my body leans to the right and I'm pushing using my right side of my body more. My right side has always been stronger, but I'm not sure how big of a problem this will be if I don't address it soon while the weights are still considered light. I may consider getting some personal training lessons to address this with a trainer. I know some of the trainers there but I feel getting "formal lessons" from them may be better since I'm not too close to the trainers and people at the gym.

I will also be taking the progress photos this week. Probably some form check videos too if I can find a gym buddy.

January 11 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 105lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 55lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps <--- My wrist position may be hindering me here... Always had in the past.
    Dumbbell Rows: 10lbs X 3 Sets X 11 Reps [easy]
    Face Pulls: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 11 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 115lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps <--- How do I stop my feet from sliding off the platform?
    Skull Crusher: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Much better form this time, but I felt my right triceps more than left triceps
    Hip Thrusts on Leg Extension: 50lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Much better form this time

January 13 - Workout B
    Barbell Squat: 110lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps <--- I think I'm arching my back too much
    Romanian Deadlift: 70lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Muscles very tight. Not good form
    Lat Pulldown: 60lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 13 Reps
    Bent Leg Roman Chair: 2 Sets X 12 Reps <--- May be good for supersets

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    B should be a Pause Squat btw. if subbing front squats.

for abs try Pallof Press (youtube)
    I'm not doing pause squats at the moment but I may do it later on in a month or two. I know it's going against the program but I'm just not comfortable with them right now. I will also check out Pallof Press.

Edit: Was going through the program again and just switched it back from Skull Crushers to Tricep Pushdowns. Whoops.
    Last edited by geokilla; 01-14-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added Sentence

Got only two workouts this week, but two is better than 0. I also uploaded some progress photos that I took this morning, and will be participating in the Bodybuilding $250,000 Transformation Challenge. Click here for progress photos. It looks like I'm not standing well still. Definitely got a posture issue which I am addressing with my chiropractor.

I hope to take some form check videos next week. But to do that, I will need to start talking to people at the gym. I guess it's a good thing I know or have seen a couple regulars?

January 16 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 115lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 60lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps <--- My wrist position may be hindering me here... Always had in the past.
    Dumbbell Rows: 15lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps [easy]
    Face Pulls: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 11 Reps <--- Was using wrong machine before.
    Standing Calf Raise: 95lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps <--- Improved form, but feet still sliding off during my sets.
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    Hip Thrusts on Leg Extension: 60lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Need to switch to regular hip thrusts I think.

January 19 - Workout B Shortened workout because I was late for dinner
    Barbell Squat: 115lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 7 Reps <--- I think I'm arching my back too much
    Romanian Deadlift: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Muscles very tight. Not good form
    Lat Pulldown: 65lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps

All in the game, yo! OmarCominYo's Avatar
    OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000)
    In!

Especially with your posture issues I (as a newb myself) would also advise you to not back squat every workout. I know you said paused squats feel uncomfortable but why not front squats as written by davis?

Regarding your nutrition: I think your approach is fine as long as you don't lose/gain too much weight. But at least protein should be 0.8g per lb bodyweight minimum. I would just track the food approximately for a week or so and see if there is enough protein in you diet.
    My Workout Journal: And the next Fierce 5 Novice
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175175021

squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) squesto is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    All the best man! Since you're not keeping track of calories / macros, do at least have a sense of whether your bulk is going in the right direction (visual as you are doing should work).

Late update to the log, sorry.

January 22 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 125lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 60lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps <--- My wrist position may be hindering me here... Always had in the past.
    Dumbbell Rows: 15lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 11 Reps <--- Was doing it the wrong way apparently. Whoops.
    Standing Calf Raise: 100bs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps <--- Feet sliding off the platform during my sets.
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 25lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    No Hip Thrusts logged due to no free barbell or bench and I didn't want to wait.

January 24 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 50lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps <--- I think I'm arching my back too much still.
    Romanian Deadlift: 80lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Muscles very tight. Form feels better.
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Palloff Press: 20lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps <--- First time doing this exercise. Pretty difficult to do but I think I was doing it right.

Originally Posted by squesto View Post
    All the best man! Since you're not keeping track of calories / macros, do at least have a sense of whether your bulk is going in the right direction (visual as you are doing should work).
    Originally Posted by OmarCominYo View Post
    In!

Especially with your posture issues I (as a newb myself) would also advise you to not back squat every workout. I know you said paused squats feel uncomfortable but why not front squats as written by davis?

Regarding your nutrition: I think your approach is fine as long as you don't lose/gain too much weight. But at least protein should be 0.8g per lb bodyweight minimum. I would just track the food approximately for a week or so and see if there is enough protein in you diet.
    What's wrong with squatting every workout? I used to squat every workout as well prior to making this log. I'll eventually do front squats so it's more in line with the program but I'm not comfortable with them right now because I have no idea how to do them. I think I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to the short-term goals at the gym, so I think I'm going to stick to what I've been doing and try to make some friends at the gym. Just not sure what is the best way to approach since everyone seems to have their own gym buddy or group of friends.

Yep I'm trying to make myself to eat more despite not tracking anything. I also drink protein shakes at home so it helps me ensure I'm getting more protein than if I didn't. I think it's helping as I think my appetite has increased compared to before.

OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000) OmarCominYo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
    What's wrong with squatting every workout? I used to squat every workout as well prior to making this log. I'll eventually do front squats so it's more in line with the program but I'm not comfortable with them right now because I have no idea how to do them. I think I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to the short-term goals at the gym, so I think I'm going to stick to what I've been doing and try to make some friends at the gym. Just not sure what is the best way to approach since everyone seems to have their own gym buddy or group of friends.
    I'm no expert but davis always put much emphasis on balance. Front squats focus much more on the quads and the upper back and less on hams and glutes. After doing back squats the hams are already pretty destroyed. Doing correct RDLs right after seems like torture to me.
    Last edited by OmarCominYo; 01-30-2018 at 11:44 PM.

At my latest session with the chiropractor, along with a posture issue which we are addressing, I also have an issue where my muscles are extremely tight and weak, especially my lower back and shoulder muscles. I was told I need to do some exercises to strengthen my lower back, which makes sense as my lower back and core always feels like it's holding me back when I lift. I can tell when the muscles tighten up too. Any suggestions on what I can do to address these issues outside of our sessions?

My last two workouts:

January 29 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 125lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 65lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps <--- Form check soon
    Dumbbell Rows: 15lbs X 3 Sets X 13 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps <--- Correct way?
    Standing Calf Raise: 102.5bs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 27.5lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    Did some glute activation exercises using resistance bands at home. Got at the gym way too late tonight.

January 24 - Workout B
    Barbell Squat: 125lbs X 3 Sets X 7 Reps
    Overhead Press: 50lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps <--- Form check soon
    Romanian Deadlift: 85lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Form check video attached
    Lat Pulldown: 67.5lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps <--- Different machine as other was used by a group
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    Palloff Press: Yeah... I forgot.

How does my form look for Romanian Deadlifts? This was my last set today and I think the form looks pretty good?

Posting an update today as I took some form check videos while I was at the gym. Please critique and provide me with any pointers you may have.

I'm having trouble learning how to tuck in my elbows and where to place my wrists on the bar. This doesn't look like it'll be good for me in the long run. I think I learned forward a bit here as well? There was definitely some muscle imbalance between the right side and left side of my body.

Like squats, I'm having trouble on where to place my wrist and working my chest. I feel a strong muscle imbalance and felt like my arms were giving out before anything else.

How are my dumbbell rows? I think they look relatively good? Could probably try and keep my torso a bit more parallel to the ground.

February 6 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 135lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 65lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 110bs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps
    Did some glute activation exercises using resistance bands at home.

I apologize for the lack of updates this month. Just haven't really felt like updating the thread because there doesn't seem to be anyone participating in my journey. But either way, I am going to start working out with a friend in March. She's agreed to help me work on my form and my workout. I've also started doing some more core and glute exercises at home during my rest days as recommended by my chiropractor. Nothing intense, but just to get the muscles working and to strengthen them as they're very weak. Hopefully I can follow the Fierce 5 program to a dot soon.

February 11 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 50lbs X 3 Sets X 7 Reps
    Romanian Deadlift: 85lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Lat Pulldown: 67.5lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 11 Reps
    Palloff Press: 20lbs X 2 sets X 10 reps

February 13 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 135lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 70lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 115bs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

February 18 - Workout B
    Barbell Squat: 145lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Overhead Press: 55lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Lat Pulldown: 70lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 12 Reps
    Stairmaster Level 5: 5 Minutes

February 20 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 145lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps

February 24 - Workout B
    Barbell Squat: 145lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Overhead Press: 55lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Romanian Deadlift: 95lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 40lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps <--e Failed. Probably switch to dumbbell curls next time.

February 26 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 155lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Face Pulls: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps <--- Different machine. Estimated weights
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 12 Reps

Booked my appointment with the trainer for March 6. I'm going to get assessed and measurements will be taken because my gym offers this for free. Afterwards I believe she's going to critique my form and help train me for my compound lifts. I've noted down on what exercises my form feels off and I'll show her some of the form check videos I took before. Will keep everyone updated on my journey.

February March 2 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 60lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Lat Pulldown: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps

Sorry everyone, this is long overdue. I got sick after my last gym session so I didn't update the thread. I had the appointment with the trainer (who apparently is doing powerlifting) earlier this month and we isolated some of the things I was doing wrong. She's a health student and is very strong, so I definitely trust her advice that she gave me. I also need to warm up before I start lifting by doing some static and dynamic stretching I think she said. Will ask her and update soon...

For squats, it seems I'm setting up improperly when I do my squats. I'm used to thumbless grip which while it is fine, my elbows are still flared out too far back and are not pointing down. I know I don't have the best posture but didn't realize it was affecting my squats that much. My shoulder blades aren't pinched back far enough due to my rounded shoulders as well. She suggested I keep doing my Lat Pulldowns in order to fix the rounded shoulders and to use a tennis ball to target my front shoulders or something. I'm going to have to ask her later as I got an overwhelming amount of information from her and it's hard trying to remember everything. The other thing she noticed with my squats is that when I'm squatting, I'm going down towards the left of my body as I do the movement. Again, this is due to having tight muscles, which in this case are the hips and hip flexors. I need to do more hip stretches and open up the hip muscles to get them going. Otherwise, my form is relatively fine and it was not as bad as she expected.

For bench press, my elbows were dropped too far down, which explained why I felt my arms giving out way before my chest. I need to bring them up more to target the chest muscles and try to hold the bar low in my hands. I believe she had a few more things to say but again, information overload. I should have written this post sooner.

For overhead press, I'm arching my back too much and need to keep my back straighter. My ribs should not be sticking out of my skin, nor should I have an excessive arch, which I usually do.

I'll be seeing her next time I workout and she is going to help me critique my form some more. Will definitely message her and try to get into my summer body in time. But for now, I'll be doing some glute activation work and stretches at home as she and my chiropractor recommended. I know not a lot of people are following my journey but for those that are, thanks for checking in.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry everyone, this is long overdue. I got sick after my last gym session so I didn't update the thread. I had the appointment with the trainer (who apparently is doing powerlifting) earlier this month and we isolated some of the things I was doing wrong. She's a health student and is very strong, so I definitely trust her advice that she gave me. I also need to warm up before I start lifting by doing some static and dynamic stretching I think she said. Will ask her and update soon...

For squats, it seems I'm setting up improperly when I do my squats. I'm used to thumbless grip which while it is fine, my elbows are still flared out too far back and are not pointing down. I know I don't have the best posture but didn't realize it was affecting my squats that much. My shoulder blades aren't pinched back far enough due to my rounded shoulders as well. She suggested I keep doing my Lat Pulldowns in order to fix the rounded shoulders and to use a tennis ball to target my front shoulders or something. I'm going to have to ask her later as I got an overwhelming amount of information from her and it's hard trying to remember everything. The other thing she noticed with my squats is that when I'm squatting, I'm going down towards the left of my body as I do the movement. Again, this is due to having tight muscles, which in this case are the hips and hip flexors. I need to do more hip stretches and open up the hip muscles to get them going. Otherwise, my form is relatively fine and it was not as bad as she expected.

For bench press, my elbows were dropped too far down, which explained why I felt my arms giving out way before my chest. I need to bring them up more to target the chest muscles and try to hold the bar low in my hands. I believe she had a few more things to say but again, information overload. I should have written this post sooner.

For overhead press, I'm arching my back too much and need to keep my back straighter. My ribs should not be sticking out of my skin, nor should I have an excessive arch, which I usually do.

I'll be seeing her next time I workout and she is going to help me critique my form some more. Will definitely message her and try to get into my summer body in time. But for now, I'll be doing some glute activation work and stretches at home as she and my chiropractor recommended. I know not a lot of people are following my journey but for those that are, thanks for checking in.
    I would be hesitant to follow advice to flare your elbows more on the bench (what it sounds like is being described). Tucking elbows is better for your shoulder/joint health. I wouldn't worry about "targeting" your chest on the bench press...it's going to get the work...worry more about not bothering or injuring your shoulders.

The thumbless grip and elbows out on the squat BTW is another common way to aggravate shoulders, elbows under the bar generally better that is true.

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    I would be hesitant to follow advice to flare your elbows more on the bench (what it sounds like is being described). Tucking elbows is better for your shoulder/joint health. I wouldn't worry about "targeting" your chest on the bench press...it's going to get the work...worry more about not bothering or injuring your shoulders.

The thumbless grip and elbows out on the squat BTW is another common way to aggravate shoulders, elbows under the bar generally better that is true.
    Thanks for the reply. This is what I mean for bench press. My elbows were tucked in too much like in the middle photo below, so I need to bring them out more so it's closer to the photo on the right. In fact, I think my elbows were tucked in so much, they were practically parallel to my torso.

Yup I get what you mean about the shoulder aggravation on squats. But when I use a full grip with my thumbs around the bar, my wrists hurt a lot to the point where I feel like my wrists would break. My elbows flare out even more and everything just screws up.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the reply. This is what I mean for bench press. My elbows were tucked in too much like in the middle photo below, so I need to bring them out more so it's closer to the photo on the right. In fact, I think my elbows were tucked in so much, they were practically parallel to my torso.

Yup I get what you mean about the shoulder aggravation on squats. But when I use a full grip with my thumbs around the bar, my wrists hurt a lot to the point where I feel like my wrists would break. My elbows flare out even more and everything just screws up.
    It can be hard to avoid, but your wrists surely hurt because you are pushing up on the bar with your arms. Concentrating on pulling the bar down into your back can help with that, as can wearing wrist wraps.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't updated my log in a while. I quit my old job, went to Hong Kong for 2 weeks, was jet lagging, and had to study for my exam which is tomorrow afternoon. Hong Kong was great fun and I did quite a bit of walking and eating. Sadly I didn't put on any weight but I do miss the city a lot. I wish I can go back soon. I applied for a VEPIC so I can get my Right To Land later. Hopefully I get it. If I ever want to work in Hong Kong, I'll need that.

Now for my workouts, obviously I didn't stretch much or do much exercise over the past 3 weeks. I did bring my bands and do what I could in Hong Kong but since I did so much walking, my feet were killing and tired, every night I got home I just wanted to jump into bed. Surprisingly my muscles weren't that tight according to my chiropractor. I'll be messaging my friend at the gym and ask her to send me some of the stretches she taught me and see if she and her boyfriend will have the time to train me after her exams. I need to make more friends who are into working out. I'm also going to take more videos as well now that I got a OnePlus 5T.

February March 5 - Workout A
    Dumbbell Rows: 30lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Face Pulls: 27.5lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 122.5lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 35lbs X 2 Sets X 8 Reps

March 12 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps

February March 23 - Workout A
    Face Pulls: 30lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 115lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 25lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

March 26 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 7 Reps

February MApril 16 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 120lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 60lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Face Pulls: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 95lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

After yesterday's workout, I still feel my bench press isn't proper. It's probably better than before but my left arm and chest just doesn't feel as engaged as much as the right. Could be the way I'm setting up the bar and how I'm performing the movement. Squats feel great though, except that I'm not doing enough butt squeeze at the top of the movement. I can squeeze up to 95lbs, but when I load more weight onto the bar like my working set, that's when I noticed I don't have much butt squeeze.

Yesterday was a good day for me at the gym. My form for romanian deadlifts felt pretty good as I sat back on my hamstrings a lot more than usual, getting them engaged and my butt squeezed at the top of the movement. For all three sets, including the warm up sets that I don't list, it felt like a proper romanian deadlift and not a stiff leg deadlift where my form was off. Of course I could be wrong but it's an improvement. The overhead press felt a bit better too as I remembered not to excessively arch my back, sticking my ribs out. Definitely need to work on that more but it's progress. With lat pulldowns, I believe I'm supposed to pull it down all the way like I'm squeezing my armpits together? I'm going to have to do some research on that. But using 60lb weights on the machine, it felt like my lats were more engaged and I was able to pull further down compared to if I used a heavier weight like I did in the past.

April 19 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 6 Reps
    Romanian Deadlift: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps

Delayed update! Last few sessions at the gym has been great. Reconnected with an old friend I met a long time ago and we were talking about how I need to eat about 800 calories more if I want to put on any significant size and muscle mass. That'll be difficult for me considering I don't like counting my calories and macros as I said in the OP and I get full easily. However I have put on a bit of muscle mass. My chiropractor mentioned that after not seeing me for a couple weeks, it looks like I got leaner. While flattering, I was hoping that I had put on some more size and bulk instead.

April 24 - Workout A
    Barbell Squat: 130lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Barbell Bench Press: 65lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Dumbbell Rows: 20lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 95lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

April 26 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 45lbs X 3 Sets X 7 Reps
    Romanian Deadlift: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps

May 4 - Workout A
    Dumbbell Rows: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 102.5lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

May 7 - Workout B

For whatever reason, I'm feeling pretty sore today. However at the same time, my neck doesn't feel too comfortable. It's usually like this after I workout, especially when I do face pulls. I'm not looking up or anything so I think I'll need a form check video on that.

May 11 - Workout A
    Dumbbell Rows: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Face Pulls: 30lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps

I'd like to add in a lower body exercise before I do my calf raises to grow my lower body more. Any suggestions on what to add? I'm thinking hip thrusts or high and wide leg press.

Watched some videos on how to do front squats over the weekend and tried it out today. Not too bad I don't think considering it's my first time? Critique and suggestions are greatly appreciated so I can learn how to do this.

May 14 - Workout B
    Front Squat: 75lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps

I had to skip my ab and bicep work because I ran out of time today and didn't want to be late for dinner.

Went to Mont Tremblant over the long weekend so had to put my workout on hold. I'm now back on track and am definitely seeing and feeling progress. Will also start incorporating the front squats into my Workout B now, just like recommended in the Fierce 5 routine. It's easier than I thought but hey, better late than never. How's my form in these two videos? I focused on going a bit deeper and trying to keep the bar's weight spread evenly across my legs.

May 17 - Workout A
    Dumbbell Rows: 25lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps
    Face Pulls: 30lbs X 3 Sets X 12 Reps

May 25 - Workout B

Another week, another 2 workouts. They were pretty good workouts and I'm going to increase my protein intake from protein powders. I used to drink 25g of impact whey protein mixed with milk, but I'm going to start to increase it to around 40g. One reason is because I have 11kg of protein to go through and I'm sure the shelf life is reduced once it's open. The second is this should be a simple and effective way at increasing my protein and calorie intake.

May 28 - Workout A
    Barbell Bench Press: 80lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Face Pulls: 40lbs X 3 Sets X 10 Reps
    Standing Calf Raise: 107.5lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

May 31 - Workout B
    Overhead Press: 55bs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Palloff Press: 30lbs X 2 sets X 10 reps
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 40lbs X 2 Sets X 10 Reps

Had three workouts last week and they were pretty solid workouts. Met someone at the gym who pointed out I was doing face pulls and cable pushdowns incorrectly. I tried with the new position now and they are definitely hitting the two respective muscle groups a lot harder than before despite using the same weight.

I also saw my chiropractor on Sunday morning and my left back muscles were really tight so she performed some acupuncture on me. My muscles relaxed a lot afterwards but they were a bit sore at the same time. And since I have meetings tonight and class tomorrow after work, this means I won't be able to get into the gym until Wednesday evening at the earliest. Sucks but what can I do?

If anyone is following my journey still, may you please comment? Any comment is fine, whether it be on my progress, my form check videos, anything. I just want to know how many people are following and whether it's worthwhile updating it, as I also track my workouts on my phone.

June 4 - Workout A

June 6 - Workout B
    Front Squat: 85lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Palloff Press: 30lbs X 2 sets X 15 reps

June 8 - Workout A

Still following! Would like to leave some more comments on your form videos but cannot access them at work and else there is not much time. Skipped over some videos and nothing bad catched my eyes. If you're unsure you can also post formchecks to the exercise forum. Everything else you're doing also seems good.

NutButtery is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just caught up on your journal there, i am here for you journey

Just an update. On June 11 I had an AGM meeting to attend after work so I wasn't able to workout so I had to skip that. Was only able to workout on June 13 and then haven't worked out since because I caught a cold/flu and am still recovering. Hopefully I'll be good by Friday as I'm in the recovery stage now. Monday was pretty bad. Just when I was making progress too, now I'll have to deload a bit again.

June 13 - Workout B
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 15 Reps

For the preacher curls, I think it's better for me if I use the 30lb EZ-bar instead of the 40lbs. That or switch over to dumbbells all together. I remember my form wasn't the best when I Was trying to do 40lbs and I was trying to swing the weights a bit instead of controlling it using my bicep muscles.

I had a talk with my trainer friend last week and she was saying how Fierce 5 is a very generic program which is why I'm not making as much progress as I'd like. She recommends I switch to a different program, such as a split and improve my diet. She said I should install My Fitness Pal to track my calories and macros but as I mentioned in the OP, it's just not really feasible given how we eat and cook as a family most of the time. Fighting for the kitchen and fridge would just end in disaster.

As for my bench press, I'm really struggling with the wrist placement. It's not really shown in the form check videos but my wrists are consistently bent backwards. Same for when I squat. My wrist just feels unnatural and painful. How do you grip the bar while keeping the wrist straight and relatively in line with your fore arms and elbows for squats and deadlifts? I'll make a thread on this but if someone can advise me in this thread as well, that'll be great.

Following is my workout log update. I didn't get back into the gym until June 27 because I was basically sick until near the end of June. I thought I was going to be healthy by June 22nd but I was still out of it till after the weekend.

June 27 - Workout A

July 3 - Workout B
    Lat Pulldown: 67.5lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps

July 5 - Workout A
    Cable Pushdown with Rope: 30lbs X 2 Sets X 12 Reps

I went to chiropractor treatment on Sunday morning and it was one of the more painful and sore treatments I've experienced in a while. My abductor muscles for example are extremely tight and I need to stretch and strengthen them more. Combined with all my other muscle groups like my glutes and hip flexors being tight and weak as previously identified, it sort of feels like I need to do throw in an exercise or two to specifically target and strengthen those groups of muscles. Maybe I'll change up my workouts and do the splits as my trainer friend recommended? It feels like my muscles have adapted to all the exercises I've been doing the same exercises for years. On the other hand, my lifts are still considered weak for someone my size and weight I think? Anyone have any suggestions and advice?

I'm also pushing my limits on how much I can romanian deadlift while maintaining good form. It has been very difficult keeping my shoulders back though while I perform the exercise. I was also able to engage my lats a bit better while doing lat pulldowns by trying to foucs the pull strightly by using my lats and not using my arms. I'll have to watch some more YouTube videos to try and learn.

July 9 - Workout B
    Front Squat: 90lbs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Overhead Press: 60bs X 3 Sets X 5 Reps
    Romanian Deadlift: 100lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Lat Pulldown: 72.5lbs X 3 Sets X 8 Reps
    Palloff Press: 35lbs X 2 sets X 12 reps

I've decided not to update this anymore. No one is reading it nor is there any support. A part of it is my problem for not updating it as frequently as I should. I'll start another one later.