joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Has anyone imported dumbells direct from China?

Just curious if anyone has had any luck doing this. With the cost of new dumbbells and how hard they are to find it seems like importing a set direct from a factory would be the way to go. You can find rubber coated chrome handles all day on alibaba for $.50-.60/lb, plus probably another $500 for shipping and customs paperwork/duties (based on my experience). Last year I imported a hydraulic car lift direct from a factory in China and saved a ton of money. If someone has done this with dumbbells before I was hoping they had a contact as its always nicer to use someone that someone else had success with. Obviously the downside with this is waiting two months for shipping and the paperwork involved with importing but for me I'm not in a huge rush so I don't mind it if I can save a grand or so.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    how much money do you think you'll be saving? for me it'd have to be quite a bit to deal with customs and dealing with shipping. i'd try to contact someone that sells them in the US and try to talk them into a discount or something
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes I have imported many Item, not necessarily Dumbbells but I have a few containers a month arrive.

$500 Is probably shipping to Long Beach Port or one of the west Coast ports....

Then you have to get it off ship and to you... to get to a cfs warehouse and out of Customs is pr0bably another $500 assuming 2000lbs and on a pallet...

Then you can arrange shipping via freight courier to your destination....

The issue I dont like about dumbbells/weights/high sku items is the minimum orders qtys you end up with.

I like single sku items. Anything with colors or sizes get annoying.

My guess is 2000lbs would cost

$800 for the dumbbells
    $500 for shipping to USA
    $500 to get off ship to a warehouse
    $750 to deliver...Unless in NYC the there is all these extra little charges.

Such a small qty price is killed in shipping... Is easier and cheaper to ship a container than a single item.
    Last edited by Ironskunk; 07-23-2017 at 04:11 PM.

joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joelmatt89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ironskunk View Post
    Yes I have imported many Item, not necessarily Dumbbells but I have a few containers a month arrive.

$500 Is probably shipping to Long Beach Port or one of the west Coast ports....

Then you have to get it off ship and to you... to get to a cfs warehouse and out of Customs is pr0bably another $500 assuming 2000lbs and on a pallet...

Then you can arrange shipping via freight courier to your destination....

The issue I dont like about dumbbells/weights/high sku items is the minimum orders qtys you end up with.

I like single sku items. Anything with colors or sizes get annoying.

My guess is 2000lbs would cost

$800 for the dumbbells
    $500 for shipping to USA
    $500 to get off ship to a warehouse
    $750 to deliver...Unless in NYC the there is all these extra little charges.

Such a small qty price is killed in shipping... Is easier and cheaper to ship a container than a single item.
    I doubt the shipping is that expensive. When I bought my lift I paid about $1,500 for the lift and then $200 for the ocean freight, $200 for freight on rail in the us, and $60 for a receiving warehouse a few miles from my house. The lift was 3 packages that totaled a little over a ton. With these I would think they could ship everything on one pallet.
    Last edited by joelmatt89; 07-23-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    how much money do you think you'll be saving? for me it'd have to be quite a bit to deal with customs and dealing with shipping. i'd try to contact someone that sells them in the US and try to talk them into a discount or something
    I would assume at least a grand. Dealing with customs and the shipping is not bad if you work with the right company. There is a customs office not far from my house, all I have to do is show them my paperwork and get a stamp from them so the warehouse will release it. If you find the right shipping company they will arrange pretty much everything else. Last time it was three packages that were about a ton and my shipping was under $500 with everything included.

Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ironskunk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by joelmatt89 View Post
    I doubt the shipping is that expensive. When I bought my lift I paid about $1,500 for the lift and then $200 for the ocean freight, $200 for freight on rail in the us, and $60 for a receiving warehouse a few miles from my house. The lift was 3 packages that totaled a little over a ton. With these I would think they could ship everything on one pallet.
    Yea.. you're probably Right...

China is opening in about 5 minutes... start sourcing....I'll send a P.M. with a contact person...

Originally Posted by Ironskunk View Post
    Yea.. you're probably Right...

China is opening in about 5 minutes... start sourcing....I'll send a P.M. with a contact person...
    I got my first quote he said $1200 for 5-100 in 5 lb increments. That includes shipping to Toledo (CIF). I get confused when I talk to these guys about that because they say shipping to Toledo CIF but from my understanding is CIF means they cover everything up until its unloaded at the port but when it comes into ports its going to be in LA. So really they are paying for shipping to LA. You seem like you have more experience then me is that correct?

I just checked my stuff from last time. I paid $400 in costs to get it off the boat and across the country so all in all I would be paying probably about $1,600 or about $.75/lb for new weights.

In Oh..Id be looking elsewhere...All my searches bring me to Ohio. I actually plan on taking the flatbed on a 20hr ride out there I see so much listed...

Aside from that yes that is to the port...now get off ship, through customs, bonding etc and shipped to you... We pulled a pallet of backpacks (donation) off the ship last week... If you can get it out for $400 and shipped to toledo PLEASE let me know who your broker is....

The store down the street from me sells them for .89 a lb so its easier to grab from him....

qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Seems a little silly to imported plates directly since the markup on them is so low according to everyone in the equipment biz.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you end up doing it, I'd like know the ultimate cost. (Not that I plan on doing it - just curious.) I'd like to see pics too!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000) dukenukem7777 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you end up doing it, just a heads-up on some things to be aware of since I've seen dozens of these factories and seen a lot of samples:

1) If you buy the cheapest, the rubber formula they use will have a lot of recycled rubber, which has an awful odor.
    2) Knurl quality varies factory to factory. Some don't make the handles themselves, and so the knurl can be great or non-existent depending on where you get them from.
    3) The method they use to attach the heads varies factory to factory. You want one that press fits _and_ welds the heads on. Some only press fit. Some (really bad) screw them on.
    4) Some have no QC for weight tolerances and will be off by 4-8%.

Also make sure you pay for quality control inspection at the factory, or what you actually get versus any samples will be a gamble. Personally knowing what I know now, I would not buy anything directly from China without a very good reason and a huge savings. If you're not picky and get lucky, great, but out of a dozen dumbbell samples we received, only 2 were what I'd consider "good" and even then the factory had to tweak the rubber formula for us. Good luck!
    www.repfitness.com - Gym equipment manufacturer.