kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool In need for cutting advise !

Hey guys

I recently got back in the gym after long recovery, been 3 month now. I'm trying to get back shredded and lean by Octoberr time (15-16 weeks) currently I'm 191-193lbs at probably 21% bf, standing at 5,11. I'm trying to get down to 167-170lbs in the single digit bf. My workouts are pretty intense & my max are still alright. (DL: 305lbs, bench 250lbs and squat 250lbs)
    My diet is looking like this right now cuz I'm lost as **** right now lol

Meal #1: Protein shake (post workout, early morning workouts with bcaa...got work early and gym is packed at night)
    Meal #2: 12oz chicken breast + sweet potatoes + Veggies
    Meal #3: 8oz tilapia + broccoli/cauliflower
    Meal #4: 8oz tilapia + broccoli/cauliflower + avocado
    Meal #5: Protein shake + peanut butter (before sleeping)
    MACROS:
    285g protein
    75g carbs
    60g fat

Thoughts ? I tend not to do well with high carbs all around, I break out like crazy always. But thanks for any advice/input.

heasley123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, welcome back after your recovery! I've just calculated your TDEE value with the information you provided above and I based it on you working out 3x per week. I'm assuming by the sound of things you're going to be training more than that. Anyway, with training hard three times a week, your TDEE came out at 2612 calories. This means that with your current diet above, you're eating at a deficit of 25% with extremely low carbs. Although this will provide quick and effective results, there is no way you'll be able to keep this up without either having various meltdowns and binge eating on occassions, or your workouts will suffer. Personally, I'd up your calorie intake to approx 2100 cals with an increase in carbs. Maybe add some oats to your post workout to refuel your body. The carbs act as a transport to the muscles for the protein, which after a workout is essential for maximum results.

I too get best results with lower carbs, however they are essential to maintain your energy to tear it up in the gym. I'd suggest if you don't want to increase your carb intake on a daily basis by much, to maybe have a refeed day when training a muscle group like legs? This refeed will replenish your glycogen and leptin levels for the week, allowing you to have the required energy needed.

I hope this all makes sense. Basically up your calorie intake to 2100 a day by an increase in carbs, you'll still have great results from a deficit of that size and it will be much easier to maintain and not go off the rails. All the best.
    January 2014 - 97Kg weight, 28% body fat
    June 2015 - 80Kg weight, 12% body fat

Future goal - Sub 10% BF.... bring it onnnnnn.

Anyone can achieve their goals if they want it enough.

kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevin2012F is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by heasley123 View Post
    Hey, welcome back after your recovery! I've just calculated your TDEE value with the information you provided above and I based it on you working out 3x per week. I'm assuming by the sound of things you're going to be training more than that. Anyway, with training hard three times a week, your TDEE came out at 2612 calories. This means that with your current diet above, you're eating at a deficit of 25% with extremely low carbs. Although this will provide quick and effective results, there is no way you'll be able to keep this up without either having various meltdowns and binge eating on occassions, or your workouts will suffer. Personally, I'd up your calorie intake to approx 2100 cals with an increase in carbs. Maybe add some oats to your post workout to refuel your body. The carbs act as a transport to the muscles for the protein, which after a workout is essential for maximum results.

I too get best results with lower carbs, however they are essential to maintain your energy to tear it up in the gym. I'd suggest if you don't want to increase your carb intake on a daily basis by much, to maybe have a refeed day when training a muscle group like legs? This refeed will replenish your glycogen and leptin levels for the week, allowing you to have the required energy needed.

I hope this all makes sense. Basically up your calorie intake to 2100 a day by an increase in carbs, you'll still have great results from a deficit of that size and it will be much easier to maintain and not go off the rails. All the best.
    Hey thanks for response and you input really appreciate it ! I forgot to mention that I'm lifting 5 days a week haha (back workout 2x a week because it's lagging compared to other parts) and I was planning on doing 5 day that diet strictly (Sunday-Thursday) and then Friday (Back n biceps) carb up.. macros would be 350G Carbs, 125G protein and 25G fat. Saturday (Rest day) macros: 175 carbs, 200G protein, 55G fat. With increasing calories with the 5 days, should I increase fats a little more rather then carbs or does it not make a difference ?

Thanks

Doing my diet compared to a "keto" style, what's the difference for result in physique wise ? I know keto is high fat moderate protein and trace carbs only with refeeds. Love to hear from people who did both of these diets keto & high protein low carb/fat

Thanks

heasley123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training 5 times a week rather than 3 times which I calculated means that you're eating in an even bigger deficit, so you definitely need to increase your calorie intake. So with 5 times, your TDEE has come out at 2780 cals. That means you're eating at a 30% deficit with the diet above which will not be maintainable in the long run, or your workouts will suffer due to feeling tired and fatigue. I'd try to consume around 2250 calories a day if I were you, which is a 20% deficit.

Personally, I feel as though a refeed from carbs a couple of times a week is more beneficial than from fats. Although fats are essential for your diet, the additional carbs 2 times a week will top your leptin and glycogen levels back up which will make you perform better in the gym. As for the 2 refeeds however, I'd suggest splitting them up rather than having them one after the other which you've suggested. I usually go for Wednesday (Back session) and Saturday (Legs session). Best to have refeed days when training a big muscle group.

I've never tried a keto diet, so I can't make an input into that if I'm honest, but I think a high protein and low/medium carbs works perfectly for a cut. Carb cycling, which is essentially the above, gives your body a little extra edge since you keep it guessing from day to day. Hope this helps.