Page 101 of 192 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 5757
    mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    And yes, what Shane said is very sensible as well, you can just eat like an animal and come in as strong as you can. Not making weight is no my an issue, you will just lift in the next class up
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post

I would rather have bigger numbers than come in lighter with smaller numbers.

This is what John has been saying too. Go in as big and strong as you can for your first meet. Next meet you worry about weight classes. You're going to have a good first meet I think Greg. Sessions are going well!
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Or you could bulk and shoot the moon and forget about dieting until after the meet.

Makes sense about the bench, do it where you are most comfortable. My really strong triceps comment stands though.
    That's very interesting Shane. I must admit that I hadn't really considered that option. I always planned on cutting down to 198 and only considered doing the 220 as a back up plan if the diet failed. You've got me thinking now though.

10lbs in 15 days...no problem. The next 3 days eat nothing but protein and some fats, chug water and you can drop at least 5lbs in a few days.
    Ya don't change your grip at all right now, regardless you push a ton of weight no matter how wide you bench.
    Are you taking 7-10 days off before the meet?

And yes, what Shane said is very sensible as well, you can just eat like an animal and come in as strong as you can. Not making weight is no my an issue, you will just lift in the next class up
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking Shawn. Hit the protein hard with some fats in there and very little carbs besides what I get from veggies fruits and oatmeal, and lots of water. I figured I could drop 5 pounds by the end of the weekend and then take the next couple of weeks to lose the last 5. Now I'm starting to think maybe I should do the beast mode thing and forget about cutting for now. Definitely an interesting idea.

Yeah I'll leave my bench grip alone for now. It's working so I better leave it alone. After the meet, though, I might play with it a bit.

My plan is basically this:

- Next week (starting 7/31) Heavy week - 1's week of 531 and final week of Smolov Jr for bench
    - Weekend between - Test Squats and Deads and Maybe Bench depending on how I feel
    - Week starting 8/7 - Very Light Deload workouts on Monday and Wednesday and only stretching and mobility on Thursday and Friday
    - Meet on 8/13

Here's an interesting article I found that you might be interested in that talks about getting ready for your 1st meet:
    https://content.tigerfitness.com/sig...rlifting-meet/

That's what I would do.

I am no PLer, obviously, but I know for me myself I would rather have bigger numbers than come in lighter with smaller numbers.

If you can pull 385, bench 300, and squat 315 you will be good for your 1000. That would make me happy for my first meet, and I wouldn't care what I weighed to get it. I guess the question is, if you drop weight and come in lighter and miss your 1000, which would bother you more? Missing lifts, or not hitting your 198 weight class.

Idk, just an outsiders look. Definitely don't want to mess with your head 15 days out from your meet and you are going to kick ass either way.
    The more I think about it, that does sound like a good option and possibly the smart move. Coming in with beast mode and hitting everything strong might be the way to go. I would definitely like to hit a 1000 total if possible. I think the squat at 315 will go and the deads at 385-400 should be doable. The bench at 300 I'm not sure about...hopefully after Smolov that is a possibility. I hit 300 before but that wasn't with the commands and pause, etc., so we'll have to see on that. If I could hit at least 385 and bump up the deads a little though I could still hit 1000.

What I might do is try the protein/fat diet (Shawn was talking about) this weekend and see how that affects my first couple of workouts next week. If it feels like I'm losing strength I'll call an audible and switch to beast mode.

Thanks to all of you guys for chiming in with advice. It's definitely giving me some good ideas and food for thought. Now I just have to figure out what feels best and then go with it.

Originally Posted by MooseTequila View Post
    Strong azz bp Greg, and I 3rd the grip, really narrow (strong azz tri's for sure!)

I would also agree with what they said weight wise... just go full on beast mode bro, you've got this chit!
    Thanks Moose Man. The video actually surprised me a little...I knew I was gripping somewhat narrow but I didn't realize it was that close.

Thanks too for the input on the weight. I'm seriously considering the beast mode option now like you suggest. I will see how I feel coming out of this weekend. Doing a mini-bulk over the next week, especially with the Smolov, is definitely appealing.

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    That again is a big WO...to do a full smolov BP and then a full squat day plus accessories....impressive work Greg...
    Thanks Ron. The program is definitely feeling good right now. My joints are a little sore from all the benching but not too bad. I need to hit a few more yoga sessions over the next couple of weeks to work out the kinks, but aside from that it's going very well.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
    My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/
    IG: @greg_slavin

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    This is what John has been saying too. Go in as big and strong as you can for your first meet. Next meet you worry about weight classes. You're going to have a good first meet I think Greg. Sessions are going well!
    Hah! Ninja Post.

Yeah the more I think about it Dave I'm thinking you guys might be right. Saying screw it to the cut would give me one less thing to worry about. Of course then my singlet might be a little too snug...I'd hate to split my seat during the squats.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

This morning I completed Week 2 (5's week of 351) Workout D of 531 For Full Body 1000% Awesome (Cycle 12) as follows:

Bench Press (warmups) 3-155, 3-185, 3-225 (All of these sets were supersetted with band pulls hooked on my rack)
    Smolov Jr BP 2-D (85% of 1RM + 10lbs) 3-265, 3-265, 3-265, 3-265, 3-265, 2-265, 2-265, 3-265, 3-265 (vid below), 3-265 (vid below)

Tri-set:
    T-Bar Rows 10-170, 8-170, 8-170
    Face Pulls 15-55, 15-55, 12-55
    DB Bent Over Lateral Raises 10-20, 10-20, 8-20

Bodyweight: 206.8 Pounds (Down 1.4 Pounds from Yesterday)

Workout Duration: 52 minutes (with 1:00 rest between most sets and 2:00 between last 3 bench sets)

Good workout today. I finished week 2 of Smolov Jr today. On my first 5 sets I rested 1 minute between sets and that was sufficient. On my 6th and 7th sets I did this and was only able to get 2 reps. For the 8th, 9th, and 10th sets I switched to 2 minutes of rest between and was able to hit all 3 reps. Note to self...rest 2 minutes on 10x3 day. I also moved my grip out a little bit wider today (despite advice not too and my own inner voice telling me not too) and it worked OK. I think I have a little more strength with this grip so I'll probably keep it.

I used my basic back/shoulder tri-set for assistance and that went well.

Ready to move on to week 3 starting on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwblCw2jXEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siCRAIUXOzQ

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong sets Greg! Great job! Not a huge fan of the camera angle though, no offense.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb
    Powerlifting: Squat: 315, Bench: 255, Deadlift: 420
    Running: 5K: 22:46, 10K: 49:49, 15K: 1:28:08, 13.1: 2:03:00
    Metcons: Murph: 29:43, Double Murph: 1:12:01, Cindy: 29 Rounds
    IG: trentmas.nc
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v5c_ToyBkd6_3hP2jl94w
    Galatians 2:20

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great workout Greg. Well keeping the rest periods at a minute for the first 5 sets was still really impressive. Great job making the adjustment on the fly and getting the rest of your sets across with a little more rest.

Seriously strong workout. That grip width looks about perfect. Now if you can just figure out that crazy PLing arch, you might hit 315.

MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No quads Greg... now back to the bench...
    Great azz benching again... grip width looks a bit wider but forearms are still not perpendicular... but screw it, don't fix what ain't broke, this works awesome for ya!
    Disclaimer: I don't know sh!t so take that into account

Greg WO ethics man, keep on killing it!
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO
    -------------CREW---------------

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Amazing, awesome work, Greg! Jellies here!
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory.

--Mahatma Ghandi

SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SteveWright1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    great session Greg
    265lb for triples and doubles is impressive on bench press for me

resting adequately is also something I have struggled with on many occasions, keeness to get back to the bar often my undoing and could account for many occasions I have missed reps
    I now do watch the second hand on the gym clock when about to do important sets .

increasing the rest to 2 minutes for next 3s day sounds like a good plan to me
    ☻/
    /▌ Sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)
    / \

Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
    Strong sets Greg! Great job! Not a huge fan of the camera angle though, no offense.
    Thanks TM. Sorry about the camera angle.

Great workout Greg. Well keeping the rest periods at a minute for the first 5 sets was still really impressive. Great job making the adjustment on the fly and getting the rest of your sets across with a little more rest.

Seriously strong workout. That grip width looks about perfect. Now if you can just figure out that crazy PLing arch, you might hit 315.
    Thanks Shane. Yeah the grip width felt good. I think I was able to engage my chest more like that so hopefully it'll give me more strength. I've been trying to arch more but so far it ain't happening for me.

No quads Greg... now back to the bench...
    Great azz benching again... grip width looks a bit wider but forearms are still not perpendicular... but screw it, don't fix what ain't broke, this works awesome for ya!
    Disclaimer: I don't know sh!t so take that into account

Greg WO ethics man, keep on killing it!
    Thanks Moose. Yeah I know they're not perpendicular yet. I'll probably wait until after the meet to make more adjustments but I will definitely work on that afterwards. I think doing that will giv eme more room for progress down the road.

Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    Amazing, awesome work, Greg! Jellies here!
    Thanks BP.

Originally Posted by SteveWright1 View Post
    great session Greg
    265lb for triples and doubles is impressive on bench press for me

resting adequately is also something I have struggled with on many occasions, keeness to get back to the bar often my undoing and could account for many occasions I have missed reps
    I now do watch the second hand on the gym clock when about to do important sets .

increasing the rest to 2 minutes for next 3s day sounds like a good plan to me
    Thanks Steve. I was definitely happy with the bench today. I am disappointed I missed a couple of reps but since I was able to get all the reps on the last 3 sets I'm not worried about it too much.

Yeah I struggle with the rest periods too. I like to get in there and get to lifting. Waiting for more than a minute I get restless but I think that if I want to get all my reps as the weights get heavier I'll definitely have to rest at least 2 minutes between my heavy sets.

DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000) DocJekyll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong reps GREG. BP is gaining.
    "Never Give Up. Great Things Take Time."
    - Frank Zane

IG: the_macro_mechanic

MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    FEK just read my post... I need to proof read... I meant NICE quads... fml

GOOD CALL... I wouldn't change anything at this point Greg in your BP, it's working for ya... then after the PL tinker all ya want ... IF ya still want too at that point, ya may decide it's all good after the meet.
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh man, what a session! All those reps at 265! Beautiful!
    One thing I am learning from your bench is how you just attack each rep right after lockout. I have a tendency to pause at the top when I am benching heavy reps and I think that takes away a good load of rep strength.
    Awesome strength! And yes, rest longer lol, I would take well over 3 min between each set
    ☻/
    / \

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Love watching how smolov is going Great work Greg!

lol I had that angle for awhile and part of my set up is to plant my feet and then try and push my body out and into position. Looked like a giant crotch shot right at the camera. I got shamed for that
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Sorry for the delayed responses...my Mom is staying with us and is staying in my office so I have limited computer access at home.

Originally Posted by DocJekyll View Post
    Strong reps GREG. BP is gaining.
    Thanks Doc. The BP is definitely on an upward trajectory which is nice.

FEK just read my post... I need to proof read... I meant NICE quads... fml

GOOD CALL... I wouldn't change anything at this point Greg in your BP, it's working for ya... then after the PL tinker all ya want ... IF ya still want too at that point, ya may decide it's all good after the meet.
    Thanks Mooose. Yeah I'm trying to mess with things as little as possible right now and just keep the train rolling into 8/13 for the meet.

Oh man, what a session! All those reps at 265! Beautiful!
    One thing I am learning from your bench is how you just attack each rep right after lockout. I have a tendency to pause at the top when I am benching heavy reps and I think that takes away a good load of rep strength.
    Awesome strength! And yes, rest longer lol, I would take well over 3 min between each set
    Thanks Shawn. Honestly in terms of getting ready for the meet I probably should be pausing more both at the top and bottom of the reps. Right now though I'm just focusing more on knocking those reps out so I haven't been pausing much. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me too hard.

I'm definitely trying to be more patient and increase my rest periods as necessary...that doesn't come easy for me though.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Love watching how smolov is going Great work Greg!

lol I had that angle for awhile and part of my set up is to plant my feet and then try and push my body out and into position. Looked like a giant crotch shot right at the camera. I got shamed for that
    Thanks Dave. Yeah I'm becoming a fan of the Smolov (the JR version at least). It has been increasing my soreness in the joints and tendons but I think that for 3 weeks it is definitely sustainable.

The crotch angle is unfortunate but it has really been helping me to look at my arm angle which has been helpful. Hopefully no one suffers permanent scarring from it.

Yesterday morning I completed Week 3 Workout B of 531 For Full Body 1000% Awesome (Cycle 12) as follows:

Hypers 20-0, 20-0

Superset:
    BP Warmup 3-155, 3-185, 3-225
    Band Facepulls

Smolov Jr BP 1-B (70% of 1RM + 20 lbs) 6-230, 6-230, 6-230, 6-230, 6-230, 6-230

Deadlifts 3-155, 3-175, 3-205, 3-255, 3-285, 1-320
    Moar Deadlifts 1-355, 1-385 PR (vid below), 3-285, 3-285, 3-285

Tri-set:
    Fat Bar OHP 5-70, 5-80, 5-95, 5-120, 3-135, 3-150
    DB Rows 8-100, 8-100, 6-100
    Shrugs 13-175, 14-175, 12-175

Bodyweight: 209.2 Pounds (BIG Carb Up day on Saturday)

Workout Duration: 95 minutes (with 1:00 rest between most sets)

Good tough workout. Hit all of my reps on bench using the little bit wider grip I've been playing with...basically my pinkie fingers just about even with ring on power bar. Bench is feeling good and strong.

I switched the order of my workouts this week to move deads up to beginning of week when I'm strongest. I hit all my planned reps and a new PR of 385. I'm hoping to get close to 400 at the meet so I think I'm on track for that.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pulled that 385 like a boss Greg. You definitely have 400 in you.

Great benching today as well! That is a ton of reps at 230.

Congrats on that 385 PR on deads, something tells me that it is not going to stand long though.

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Shoot, you had 400 right after that if you wanted. That looked super easy. And with double overhand grip.... Try alternated grip and you could probably pull 430-450. Nice job!
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb
    Powerlifting: Squat: 315, Bench: 255, Deadlift: 420
    Running: 5K: 22:46, 10K: 49:49, 15K: 1:28:08, 13.1: 2:03:00
    Metcons: Murph: 29:43, Double Murph: 1:12:01, Cindy: 29 Rounds
    IG: trentmas.nc
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v5c_ToyBkd6_3hP2jl94w
    Galatians 2:20

Pulled that 385 like a boss Greg. You definitely have 400 in you.

Great benching today as well! That is a ton of reps at 230.

Congrats on that 385 PR on deads, something tells me that it is not going to stand long though.
    Thanks Shane. Yeah the 385 felt pretty good. I plan on trying to hit a max day this Sunday on deads and squats and then shutting things down for the most part to rest up for next Saturday. I plan on trying 400 then on deads and maybe 315-325 on squats depending upon how I'm feeling. If I can hit those I'll be in good shape for the meet.

Shoot, you had 400 right after that if you wanted. That looked super easy. And with double overhand grip.... Try alternated grip and you could probably pull 430-450. Nice job!
    Thanks TM. I was a little tempted to keep going but I wanted to save up energy for this coming Sunday. I've also been tempted to try out the mixed grip but I've never felt 100% comfortable with it. Maybe I'll try it on some of my warmup sets on Sunday to see if I can get the feel for it before my max sets.

This morning I completed Week 3 (1's week of 351) Workout B of 531 For Full Body 1000% Awesome (Cycle 12) as follows:

Superset:
    Bench Press (warmups) 3-155, 3-185, 3-225
    Band Facepulls

Smolov Jr BP 3-B (75% of 1RM + 20lbs) 5-245, 5-245, 5-245, 5-245, 3-245, 3-245, 3-245

Squats 5-135, 5-135, 3-160, 5-205, 5-230, 5-255 (1+)
    Moar Squats (SSL) 5-230, 5-230, 5-230

Tri-set:
    Chins/Pullups 8-0 ng, 8-0 ng, 8-0 ng
    French Press 8-75, 8-75, 8-75
    DB Bent Over Lateral Raises 12-15, 12-15, 12-15

Bodyweight: 206.4 Pounds (Down 2.8 Pounds from Sunday)

Workout Duration: 64 minutes (with 1:00 rest between most sets and 2:00 between final 3 sets of bench)

Good workout today. I completed workout B of week 3 of Smolov Jr. Unfortunately on my final 3 sets I only hit 3 reps at 245 instead of the planned 5 reps. I could have lowered the weight by 5 pounds and probably hit the reps but I said screw it and left it at 245 and did the 3 sets with 3 reps. It still feels like I got good work in and it felt effective so I think that's OK.

On the squats I resisted the urge to do my jokers today and figured I'll leave some in the tank for my test day on Sunday. I did my 3 supplemental SSL sets of 5x230 and left it at that.

I finished things up with a quick tri-set of chins, french press, and DB BOLR.

I found this good Dan Green video with some bench tips and wanted to post it here for future reference:

Last edited by PtReyesGreg; 08-02-2016 at 08:54 AM.

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Strong work Greg....I know you don't like extended rest time but I've been reading a lot of guys are waiting 5 and up to 10 minutes for their heaviest sets...just suggestions...The sets are just going to get heavier as you go farther into the program....
    "You got soul and everybody knows that its alright".....Curtis Mayfield........"Eat to be strong weights and reps"....Me....."leave the gun take the cannoli".....Fat Clemenza

"Believin is alright just don't believe in the wrong thing"....Sonny Boy Williamson

"You know you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill"......Paul Barrere Little Feat

Originally Posted by RT1957 View Post
    Strong work Greg....I know you don't like extended rest time but I've been reading a lot of guys are waiting 5 and up to 10 minutes for their heaviest sets...just suggestions...The sets are just going to get heavier as you go farther into the program....
    Thanks Ron. Yeah I hear you about the rest periods. I really should be taking at least 3 minutes between those sets. This morning I wanted to do that but unfortunately I was running short of time and capped myself at 2 minutes which wasn't enough. I had a list of honey-do's to finish before I went to work (i.e. picking up the dog doo ) and should have woken up earlier. Next time I'll plan better.

BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000) BluesPreacher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great work!

Miren your numbers!
    Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment. Full effort is full victory.

--Mahatma Ghandi

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Still killing the smolov Greg, I'm sure those reps would have been there today if you had more time. Beauty 385 pull, looked super easy! Solid squats today as well, looking forward to your test day Sunday!
    ☻/
    / \

Originally Posted by BluesPreacher View Post
    Great work!

Miren your numbers!
    Thanks BP! I appreciate it.

Still killing the smolov Greg, I'm sure those reps would have been there today if you had more time. Beauty 385 pull, looked super easy! Solid squats today as well, looking forward to your test day Sunday!
    Thanks Shawn I'm will to go with the more time theory. Thanks too about the deads...I'm hoping I can get 400 at the meet...we'll see.

Crushed another one. I bet you would have got those extra reps if you hadn't dropped 3 pounds. LoL.

J/K Greg.

Really great looking workout. Squats are looking good, and that tri set looked like a nice way to finish off your workout.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Smolov still looking good. Getting any paused work in there?

Looks like you have a weight plan figured out. Although technically what Shawn said is correct there is a bit more technical stuff to cutting that type of weight fast. I wouldn't just eat protein and fat to see how it goes :P If you're going to do it you want to actually do it right, but cutting weight for your first meet shouldn't even be on the radar, IMO. Right now your big 3 total is zero. Go in and set your level, give yourself a number that you can look to best next time, and diet after if that's what you want. My.02 but what do I know.

DOH deads, unless you are hook gripping the bar, will limit you some. You won't magically pull 50lbs more though. I'd look to give it a try for singles. The key is to flex your tris on the under hand. No way to flex the bi if the tri is flexed. This will greatly help avoid any injuries.

Great training all around. Looks like you'll go into the meet with some good momentum.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Crushed another one. I bet you would have got those extra reps if you hadn't dropped 3 pounds. LoL.

J/K Greg.

Really great looking workout. Squats are looking good, and that tri set looked like a nice way to finish off your workout.
    Thanks Shane. You might be right about the extra reps with the 3 pounds...it was mainly water weight but I did feel a little short on energy today.

The squats felt good. I really like my new form. Now I'm just mentally getting ready for a test day on Sunday to see what kind of numbers I can hit.

Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Smolov still looking good. Getting any paused work in there?

Looks like you have a weight plan figured out. Although technically what Shawn said is correct there is a bit more technical stuff to cutting that type of weight fast. I wouldn't just eat protein and fat to see how it goes :P If you're going to do it you want to actually do it right, but cutting weight for your first meet shouldn't even be on the radar, IMO. Right now your big 3 total is zero. Go in and set your level, give yourself a number that you can look to best next time, and diet after if that's what you want. My.02 but what do I know.

DOH deads, unless you are hook gripping the bar, will limit you some. You won't magically pull 50lbs more though. I'd look to give it a try for singles. The key is to flex your tris on the under hand. No way to flex the bi if the tri is flexed. This will greatly help avoid any injuries.

Great training all around. Looks like you'll go into the meet with some good momentum.
    Thanks John. Yeah the Smolov is feeling good...or about as good as can be expected. It has been making me more sore than usual but I feel like I'm gaining some good strength from it. I think it's definitely helping to build some momentum. I'm trying to decide between doing a quick bench test next Monday to see where I'm at or just waiting for the meet to max out. Any thoughts?

I welcome your feedback and input...you know a hell of a lot more about it than me. Honestly I haven't been hitting as many paused reps as I should. For my next meet I'll definitely add in some more of that. Today I did some pauses in my final 3 sets...that's part of the reason I only hit 3 reps on them. I'm planning to do some more during my next 2 bench sessions.

I think you're right about cutting the weight for this first meet. I was joking about it with Shane, but I seriously do think it is costing me a little strength when I drop several pounds in a day. I plan on just eating clean and trying to get quality protein, fat, and carbs between now and the meet. I'm not going to do any drastic cutting...I'll just eat reasonably and see where I wind up. I'm planning on just competing in the 220 class. That'll just be one less thing for me to worry about. Also, it looks like I'll have to weigh in the morning of the meet (due to scheduling issues) so that wouldn't give me enough time to recharge prior to lifting if I did do a big cut. I'm around 206 right now so going in the 220 class will give me plenty of room to play with.

I'll give the mixed grip a try on some singles this weekend to see how that goes. I'll be sure to flex the tris...fear of biceps injuries is one of the reason I've mainly steered clear of them until now. I might also try reversing my right hand...I've always done that with the left hand and it never has felt right.

Just so ya know... I think I'm looking forward to your PL than you are

Go tear sh!t up going in as strong as fekking possible... kick azz and take names!!
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

Just so ya know... I think I'm looking forward to your PL than you are

Go tear sh!t up going in as strong as fekking possible... kick azz and take names!!
    Thanks Moose Man. I definitely feel like I'm going to be ready. Whether or not it'll be of an ass kicking level I don't know...but I'll definitely try to do myself proud.

Page 101 of 192 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast