Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sintro1 View Post
    Around christmas I couldn't even do one chinup from a deadhang. What will really help you is frequency. Whatever plan you use isn't super important as long as it's not idiotic. Just hit that plan up at least 3 times a week.

I know it's not strong by these standards, but I can do sets of 9 chinups after deadlifts. Which is a huge improvement over half a year ago!
    Noted, thanks! Congratulations on your improvements, man!
    So I just put anything here and it will be below every post of mine?

papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) papamichael has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mandm001 View Post
    Do you even lift? Use a leg to push urself up if ur failing.
    I will try that, thanks!

Originally Posted by nvliftin2 View Post
    OP do you have access to a gym? If so use an assisted pull up machine. Start off with 20-30kgs to assist you and try hit 3 sets of 8. As you hit the reps lower the weight that is assisting you. I couldn't do a single pull up I was weak as piss now im doing three sets of 10 with 10kgs on a pull up belt . I also suggest heavy rows and bent over one arm rows they helped me too! Its all about progressively overloading yourself!
    My mother does not wish to drive me to the gym, so I don't think that will work. Congrats on the gains! I will try out rows, thanks!

andrewg07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you can't do 1 pull up here is something that you can do to build up. Instead of attempting the full pull up just pull yourself up and simply hold that top position. Keep track of how many seconds you can hold that position. Do this for 1 week and the time you hold yourself up should increase. Next week try the pull up again and I'd wager you could do at least 3.

Originally Posted by andrewg07 View Post
    If you can't do 1 pull up here is something that you can do to build up. Instead of attempting the full pull up just pull yourself up and simply hold that top position. Keep track of how many seconds you can hold that position. Do this for 1 week and the time you hold yourself up should increase. Next week try the pull up again and I'd wager you could do at least 3.
    Interesting! I will try this out! Thanks!

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lose body fat + weight, your pull ups / Chins / dips will sky rocket.

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    Lose body fat + weight, your pull ups / Chins / dips will sky rocket.
    Thanks!

RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedVex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do static holds with negative pullups for 10 reps, 3 sets, 3 times a week untill you can do 1 rep, then do 9 holds etc
    Hard work, no excuses !

metalheadman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by papamichael View Post
    I am a weak little guy and can not complete one pull-up. I heard that you should be working out your back and that should help. Is this true and are there any other specific muscles I should be working that will help me do my first pull-up?

I apologize if this is a dumb and obvious question, but I am just wondering.

Thank you for reading and any tips and tricks would be awesome!
    literally just go to a pull up bar and sit there pulling up as hard as you can for as long as you can. Thats how i learned to do mine

Originally Posted by metalheadman View Post
    literally just go to a pull up bar and sit there pulling up as hard as you can for as long as you can. Thats how i learned to do mine
    Alright, I guess I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

sintro1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Forums would be a utopia if everyone was like the OP, he's so receptive to advice and doesn't criticize. Frankly, the world would be a better place if more were like him haha.

Originally Posted by RedVex View Post
    do static holds with negative pullups for 10 reps, 3 sets, 3 times a week untill you can do 1 rep, then do 9 holds etc
    Seems like a good idea. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sintro1 View Post
    Forums would be a utopia if everyone was like the OP, he's so receptive to advice and doesn't criticize. Frankly, the world would be a better place if more were like him haha.
    Haha! Thank you for the comment, man.

gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I appreciate that OP is so open to accepting advices. But TBH everyone is just reiterating what I commented before. (Not like I was being original or anything though. The whole point is that there are really only a few ways to build up to a pullup)...basically just pull up negatives/static holds and doing movements that mimic pullups or muscles used like lat pull down.......

My message is to keep it simple and stick to a plan. No need to even talk/think about pull ups for the next month. I was surprised that this was bumped back up to first page lmao. Just go in the gym and get to work! come back with ur results

good luck mane

Originally Posted by gud1 View Post
    I appreciate that OP is so open to accepting advices. But TBH everyone is just reiterating what I commented before. (Not like I was being original or anything though. The whole point is that there are really only a few ways to build up to a pullup)...basically just pull up negatives/static holds and doing movements that mimic pullups or muscles used like lat pull down.......

My message is to keep it simple and stick to a plan. No need to even talk/think about pull ups for the next month. I was surprised that this was bumped back up to first page lmao. Just go in the gym and get to work! come back with ur results

good luck mane
    Yeah I can see that there are a lot of the same answers. I was also surprised when I got an e-mail notifying me that there were more responses on this thread, haha. Thanks for the good luck!

Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cosko9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by phippsy98 View Post
    The muscles used in pull ups are biceps, triceps and your chest muscles. so i would recommend working this muscles.
    also make sure that you use the easiest method for doing pull ups so you don't dive in at the deep end.
    then once confident you can try more challenging ways of course.
    strong everything
    Originally Posted by absgod View Post
    ^You are wrong phippsy98.
    Muscles used in pullups are latissimus dorsi and biceps brachialis. Work those muscles if you want to do pullup.
    would neg for saying the dorky names , but on recharge

Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gainful is on a distinguished road. (+10)

ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajtran7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do flexed arm hangs to work on the concentric part of the movement and let yourself fall down slowly through the negative. If you have assistance bands, those will help. For the most part, flexed arm hangs, lat pulldowns, and using the assisted pullup machine has helped me. Get a pull up bar for your door if you can. Focus on retracting your scapula.
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer

Bench - 125
    Deadlift - 275
    Squat - 185

kontrast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just all upper arm strength, just work your biceps/triceps and chest and you'll get there. Keep working away bro