billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Almost over 35 guy here

Well, it is time to finally get back into shape. I am 32 years old, 5'-11" and I have ALWAYS been skinny. The last several years have been a fat skinny, I have weighed 145ish (+/- 5 lbs) since I graduated high school in 2001 and now have the "beer belly" going on. It is not horrible, but I need to gain 25 pounds (in the right places) or so and I have known I need to for years. I played football, basketball and baseball from when I could walk until I left high school. My senior year I was deadlifting 295, that is the only weight I remember because as a strong safety I was lifting more than two of our starting offensive linemen, I was very proud. I could dunk a basketball and that is saying something for a white guy under 6'!

Fast forward 12+ years, I am married, have a child, and have had the same job (I manage a machine shop so I do mostly office work, I am in the shop, walking and supervising. I walk quite a bit, but get no other physical exercise other than that) since high school. I feel tired a lot. I eat OK, not great, but we rarely have fast food. I have done strong lifts 3 times over the last 12 years, each time I get 10 or so weeks into it and I just stop. I want to keep going, but either work or family or just being tired get to me. The last time I worked out was 3 years ago.

So here I am, trying to be accountable. I am ONE week into strong lifts, and I am going to complete ALL 12 weeks without missing a single session. So far that is my only goal. Once I get past all of my beginner gains I will re-evaluate and secede what I am going to do next, but I am going to stay in shape because this getting old and being tired all the time sucks!

o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) o0o0 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome and good luck!

All about some GAINZ! IIISpartacusIII's Avatar
    IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IIISpartacusIII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Make workout time your special, happy time of triumph and reverie. Dare to dream of exactly how you want to look, find out what it takes to get there and get there! If you want it bad enough the best excuses ever won't stop you. Conversely if you don't really want it all that bad, grab a beer, the remote and chalk it up to a waste of time for people with too much time on their hands as you watch reruns of Game of Thrones.
    "I was laying in bed one night and I thought ‘I’ll just quit — to hell with it.’ And another little voice inside me said ‘Don’t quit — save that tiny little ember of spark.’ And never give them that spark because as long as you have that spark, you can start the greatest fire again.”

- Charles Bukowski (1920-1994)

ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000) ScubaDave is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good luck OP - with perseverance, dedication, and intensity you can certainly achieve your goals. Many of us here didn't start until well after 35 (including myself), and have made tremendous progress. Keep pushing!!
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billye1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys! I surprisingly do enjoy waking up at 4 AM to do my workout. It seems like those day I have more energy and the day seem to just be better.

JimGym81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    much success, you can do it

zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50) zoddyman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by billye1982 View Post
    Thanks guys! I surprisingly do enjoy waking up at 4 AM to do my workout. It seems like those day I have more energy and the day seem to just be better.
    There is a 4am now ?

Originally Posted by zoddyman View Post
    There is a 4am now ?
    Yes there is! I have been getting up at 5 AM everyday of my working life for work, so one hour earlier is not a real big deal.

mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mcbourque has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck and welcome!
    I love your approach of taking it step by step, focus on the 12 weeks first than go from there! Very smart!
    You'll make it
    ** Marie **
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom." - Jim Rohn

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157469793

Manaz101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't offer any words of encouragement as some of the others and I too have started my journey after the age of 35 and I too wake up at 4am to get to the gym before work. You're so right, 1 hour earlier is not a big deal and the more/longer you do it, it becomes normal. I've been doing cardio every morning before work and weight training after work. In the 2 months that I've been doing it religiously, I've noticed greater results than all the previous years of "working out". Biggest change this time around is diet and deliberateness. Each exercise is intended to serve a certain purpose, be it weight, muscle or form. Everything I eat as well is fuel, so if it offers me no nutrition, I don't eat it and waste my time and energy. IT'S TOUGH TO REWRITE MY BRAIN.....but I keep telling myself, this is a marathon, not a sprint......so in a year from now, I'll see the results I want to get. I'm trusting the process.

Good luck!

HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HairyGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    32 is a great age. why not start by playing a sport? shoot some hoops or go swimmin' or joggin'. it won't seem like work then. make sure the exercise is fun.