gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ok I'm lost what is keto? please help lol

So I'm sure this is answered somewhere else but I'm gonna ask anyways... what is the purpose for a keto diet in terms of bodybuilding? what are the health benefits etc? it says low carbs? i thought carbs were essential for building muscle?

TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gullotti942 View Post
    So I'm sure this is answered somewhere else but I'm gonna ask anyways... what is the purpose for a keto diet in terms of bodybuilding? what are the health benefits etc? it says low carbs? i thought carbs were essential for building muscle?
    A ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate diet. When you go on a low carbohydrate diet your body switches from using carbohydrates as its main source of fuel to instead using fat/ketone bodies as its main source of fuel. By cutting carbs it is easier to burn fat and lose water weight. You will also continue to build muscle or maintain lean muscle mass because it contains plenty of healthy complete protein and essential fats. Just remember that carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient and you do not need them to survive. Protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water are all essential but most people don't know that you do not need carbohydrates to live if you are eating enough fat.

DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50) DustyChicago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP might consult professor google as opposed to reading forum post for info. How'd OP decide that "carbs were essential" for anything?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=608052853&posted=1#post608052853

BEARS, CUBS, BULLS, HAWKS, SOX, MMA

gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gullotti942 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm just confused because most pro bodybuilders recommend carbs. Jay cutler even claims if he doesn't get simple carbs worked into his diet he starts to shrink lol. It definitely seems like its debateable.

Also every article I've read on muscle building foods.. spinach.. sweet potato. . Blueberries.. pears.. all among the top.. those are considered carbs right? Correct me if I'm wrong I'm really not sure lol

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So you admit that the information is out there, you're just too lazy to google? Wow.

Originally Posted by TJB0317 View Post
    A ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate diet. When you go on a low carbohydrate diet your body switches from using carbohydrates as its main source of fuel to instead using fat/ketone bodies as its main source of fuel. By cutting carbs it is easier to burn fat and lose water weight. You will also continue to build muscle or maintain lean muscle mass because it contains plenty of healthy complete protein and essential fats. Just remember that carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient and you do not need them to survive. Protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water are all essential but most people don't know that you do not need carbohydrates to live if you are eating enough fat.
    You shouldn't be answering any questions here. Negs when off recharge.

I'm just confused because most pro bodybuilders recommend carbs. Jay cutler even claims if he doesn't get simple carbs worked into his diet he starts to shrink lol. It definitely seems like its debateable.
    Carbs are an energy source and do play a role in muscle building. However, you can still build muscle without them. The shrinking effect from low carbs is because the muscles look flat without the extra water being stored.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    So you admit that the information is out there, you're just too lazy to google? Wow.

Carbs are an energy source and do play a role in muscle building. However, you can still build muscle without them. The shrinking effect from low carbs is because the muscles look flat without the extra water being stored.
    I did Google it chief! All I got was something about epilepsy so I came here and I wasn't about to go searching through a million posts to find a half a** answer don't like to waste valuable life like that mkay?

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you aren't trolling... Jay Cutler said about the book "better than steroids" that it is a "spot on" (quoting here). Read the book, it is all about growth and keto. Jay's words printed on a back cover with his picture attached. Can't miss it

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did Google it chief! All I got was something about epilepsy so I came here and I wasn't about to go searching through a million posts to find a half a** answer don't like to waste valuable life like that mkay?
    Your time is too valuable, so other people should spend theirs trying to educate you ? Come on man, there's tons of info, easily available.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    if you aren't trolling... Jay Cutler said about the book "better than steroids" that it is a "spot on" (quoting here). Read the book, it is all about growth and keto. Jay's words printed on a back cover with his picture attached. Can't miss it
    Idk what trolling means but ill have to check out that book thanks for the info

Originally Posted by MetilHed View Post
    Your time is too valuable, so other people should spend theirs trying to educate you ? Come on man, there's tons of info, easily available.
    Isnt that the whole point of a forum ? To discuss stuff? If you don't wanna help me out just go about your day bub no worries...

TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLiftingOne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Personally, I didn't liked it. Without sufficient amount of carbs most of the time I feel like ****. I believe there are better alternatives.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm not Native American, nor am i in the military, so there's no reason to call me a chief.

I simply thought since you appear to have a child, you'd be adept at doing some research on things. However your posting style, upon further evaluation, doesn't scream educated.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    a) Jay Cutler abuses insulin so he needs simple carbs in his diet

B) at the top of this very section there are guides for newbies and FAQ threads. I'd start there.

TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Theres a whole keto reddit community that will be happy to answer you.

TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TJB0317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is there something I said that is incorrect about the ketogenic diet? I think I provided a pretty simple and easy to understand answer. I know it basically not possible to gain muscle and lose fat at same time but you can at least gain muscle and maintain fat or lose fat and maintain muscle.

Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lvisaa2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is there something I said that is incorrect about the ketogenic diet? I think I provided a pretty simple and easy to understand answer. I know it basically not possible to gain muscle and lose fat at same time but you can at least gain muscle and maintain fat or lose fat and maintain muscle.
    If you knew it was not possible except for extenuating circumstances, then why would you even say it? And to gain any substantial muscle, you will need to gain fat. So again, gaining muscle and "maintaining fat" is not a very likely scenario. Here's my suggestion, take the time to read this forum for a month or two, both this and the nutrition section, then start posting as the two threads I've seen you post in have been full of misinformation. If you are giving someone poor information, even if unintentionally, then you could be harming them.

I'm not Native American, nor am i in the military, so there's no reason to call me a chief.

I simply thought since you appear to have a child, you'd be adept at doing some research on things. However your posting style, upon further evaluation, doesn't scream educated.
    Hahaha I am educated but it doesn't mean I'm a nerd nor some type of internet forum police judging people based on their posting style. . Regardless thanks for the info guys.. much appreciated

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's hard to think an educated man would skip over all this stuff that looks like it would have the answers to make his own post asking people to spoon feed him:

Yeah, Google's got nothin'
    Attached Images

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MetilHed, with all the information out there, the purpose of keto in regards to bodybuilding is highly debatable. And it was original OP's question. Not the very basic "keto 101" shize. We can't even agree to disagree to insulin spikes and importance, and there was not one bodybuilder who would grow big following strict keto diet. It works wonders, but apparently only when coupled with carb-loading phase. And, like OP's said, most studies are for diabetic people or epileptic children, filled with stuff which does not concern bodybuilders at all. We are essentially on our own here, basically going by anecdotal reports and our own results. So, go easy, OP's question was a noble one.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    MetilHed, with all the information out there, the purpose of keto in regards to bodybuilding is highly debatable. And it was original OP's question. Not the very basic "keto 101" shize. We can't even agree to disagree to insulin spikes and importance, and there was not one bodybuilder who would grow big following strict keto diet. It works wonders, but apparently only when coupled with carb-loading phase. And, like OP's said, most studies are for diabetic people or epileptic children, filled with stuff which does not concern bodybuilders at all. We are essentially on our own here, basically going by anecdotal reports and our own results. So, go easy, OP's question was a noble one.

I see your point. But there is a huge amount of info available right in this forum, and plenty via google if you add the term "bodybuilding". The title "what is keto" and his OP (health benefits) also point to a general (not only BB) answer.

Certainly epilepsy treatment is not the only thing that comes up, or even the most prevalent.

Originally Posted by Lvisaa2 View Post
    If you knew it was not possible except for extenuating circumstances, then why would you even say it? And to gain any substantial muscle, you will need to gain fat. So again, gaining muscle and "maintaining fat" is not a very likely scenario. Here's my suggestion, take the time to read this forum for a month or two, both this and the nutrition section, then start posting as the two threads I've seen you post in have been full of misinformation. If you are giving someone poor information, even if unintentionally, then you could be harming them.
    The two threads I posted in were not full of misinformation. IT is simply a fact that the human body does not require the compound sodium chloride to function and it is not essential. Of course a little sea salt or crystal salt is not going to kill you and it is okay to include a little in your diet if you would like, but it is not essential just like carbohydrates are not essential to live. I have read elsewhere that it is possible to gain muscle while gaining minimal or trivial amounts of fat if you do the correct calorie surplus. You are probably right though that you are going to have to gain some amount of fat in order to gain muscle.

The two threads I posted in were not full of misinformation. IT is simply a fact that the human body does not require the compound sodium chloride to function and it is not essential. Of course a little sea salt or crystal salt is not going to kill you and it is okay to include a little in your diet if you would like, but it is not essential just like carbohydrates are not essential to live. I have read elsewhere that it is possible to gain muscle while gaining minimal or trivial amounts of fat if you do the correct calorie surplus. You are probably right though that you are going to have to gain some amount of fat in order to gain muscle.
    This is the issue. You "read" something then posted it as fact. Simply reading something doesn't constitute it as fact.

Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shenpen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keto is not for everyone. Perhaps you should consider doing a more standard diet with clear guidelines and less confusing science.
    Eddie Izzard for Mayor!!!!

Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Shenpen View Post
    Keto is not for everyone.
    Right. All the educated "experts" on here would know and WARN people that spilling ketones for a diabetic person is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and can be FATAL !

Read for yourself.

Straight off...... www (DOT) Diabetes (DOT) org

DKA (Ketoacidosis) & Ketones

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death.

When your cells don't get the glucose they need for energy, your body begins to burn fat for energy, which produces ketones. Ketones are chemicals that the body creates when it breaks down fat to use for energy. The body does this when it doesn’t have enough insulin to use glucose, the body’s normal source of energy. When ketones build up in the blood, they make it more acidic. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick.

High levels of ketones can poison the body. When levels get too high, you can develop DKA. DKA may happen to anyone with diabetes, though it is rare in people with type 2.

Treatment for DKA usually takes place in the hospital. But you can help prevent it by learning the warning signs and checking your urine and blood regularly.

What are the Warning Signs of DKA?

DKA usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. Early symptoms include the following:

Thirst or a very dry mouth
    Frequent urination
    High blood glucose (blood sugar) levels
    High levels of ketones in the urine
    Then, other symptoms appear:

Constantly feeling tired
    Dry or flushed skin
    Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
    (Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
    Difficulty breathing
    Fruity odor on breath
    A hard time paying attention, or confusion

Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Labrat0116 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Labrat0116 View Post
    Right. All the educated "experts" on here would know and WARN people that spilling ketones for a diabetic person is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and can be FATAL !

Read for yourself.

Straight off...... www (DOT) Diabetes (DOT) org
    I should have posted about Hypoglycemia with Ketosis as well. This is more likely with the Keto diet.

Going Hypoglemic with Ketosis equally as dangerous and potentially fatal as Ketoacidosis is for diabetics

I can't post links yet but the following is off Wikipedia.

Hypoglycemia with ketosis: the broad sense....

There are hundreds of causes of hypoglycemia. Normally, the defensive, physiological response to a falling blood glucose is reduction of insulin secretion to undetectable levels, and release of glucagon, adrenaline, and other counterregulatory hormones. This shift of hormones initiates glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis in the liver, and lipolysis in adipose tissue.

Lipids are metabolized to triglycerides, in turn to fatty acids, which are transformed in the mitochondria of liver and kidney cells to the ketone bodies— acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone. Ketones can be used by the brain as an alternate fuel when glucose is scarce. A high level of ketones in the blood, ketosis, is thus a normal response to hypoglycemia in healthy people of all ages.

The presence or absence of ketosis is therefore an important clue to the cause of hypoglycemia in an individual patient. Absence of ketosis ("nonketotic hypoglycemia") most often indicates excessive insulin as the cause of the hypoglycemia. Less commonly, it may indicate a fatty acid oxidation disorder.

FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FoolsErrand has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TransientBeing View Post
    Theres a whole keto reddit community that will be happy to answer you.
    Quora also has a well established Keto community.

Also TJB0317 comments about salt are very correct. The reason why you hear people say you need to have salt in your diet isn't because of sodium chloride. It's because of iodine. Something which isn't in sea salt. Iodine very much is needed and it only takes a little. The thing is, all the hidden salt in processed food usually does the trick.
    Last edited by FoolsErrand; 10-31-2015 at 08:12 AM.
    I used to think my only choices were Kate Moss thin or Delta Burke happy.