Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50)

The Skinny Kid vs The Iron

I've nothing better to do on most evening's, so I decided to make this thread and use it almost as a blog, but keep my numbers and progress recorded, and share some tips I pick up along the way.

Me.

I've always been the Skinny Kid. At 6 feet tall, and weighing in at around 140lbs I was picked on constantly in school.
    "I could snap you with my bare hands, "Eat some food kid", "What a pussy, that guy can't fight!", "He couldn't hurt himself if he tried, let alone anyone else!", etc.

Well, now it's my time to change.
    I've been going to the gym since last summer, but never really took it seriously. However, I've gained weight now, I'm motivated, educated and ready to go.

For my 18th birthday my parents bought me a membership that will last until I head off to university in September. By the time I leave, I don't want to be the Skinny Kid anymore. My goal is to head off to university and be seen as someone who works out, someone with muscle, someone with a physique other people my age crave. I'm going to post as much as I can between now and then, and together we'll see what happens and how far I get.

Just to let you see how far I've come since last summer, here are a few numbers:

Summer '12

Bench Press: 10KG
    Barbell Curls: 12.5KG
    Squats: 14KG

It's not much, but it's all I can find from when I first joined the gym. Pathetic numbers, right? Everyone has to start somewhere though, don't ever forget that.

The Program

I'll be running Ice Cream Fitness' 5x5 Full Body Workout for Novices.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148036063
    Shoutout to JasonDB for this program.

The Journey

Today was my first day of this workout, and I left the gym feeling worse than ever. I ached, I was sore, and I lacked energy for a good few hours afterwards. No pain, no gain.

Workout A

Squat 5x5 - 60KG
    Bench Press 5x5 - 22.5KG *
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 45KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 50KG
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 55KG *
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8 - 25KG
    Hyperextention 2x10 - 10KG
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20 - 20KG

* - Instead of Barbell Bench Press, I do Dumbbell. Personal preference, nothing else.
    * - Instead of Skullcrushers, I do Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions. Not sure if that's the right name, but again, just personal preference as it requires the exact same movement.

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

I'll edit the results for Workout B in on Wednesday evening.

lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50) lewisab will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Week One
    The starting blocks

Workout A

Squat 5x5 - 60KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 45KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 50KG

* - Instead of Barbell Bench Press, I do Dumbbell. Personal preference, nothing else.
    * - Instead of Skullcrushers, I do Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions. Not sure if that's the right name, but again, just personal preference as it requires the exact same movement.

Workout B

Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
    CGBP 3x8
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good luck bro! I'd suggest starting to use a barbell for bench as you can use more weight and your numbers will increase faster
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    Good luck bro! I'd suggest starting to use a barbell for bench as you can use more weight and your numbers will increase faster
    Thank you.
    I'm thinking about using DB for one day, and a BB the other. Not 100% sure though, we'll see!

Little update:

So this just became a lot more difficult.

My phone has had to be sent away to be repaired, which means the convenience of MyFitnessPal has been taken away from me. I'm going to try and guesstimate my calories until then as I'm not the best with maths.

On the plus side, I'm absolutely buzzing for my workout tomorrow, and I'm still quite sore from yesterday!
    Fat, Overweight and Embarrassed.

Workout A

Squat 5x5 - 60KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 45KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 50KG

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 50KG
    Deadlift 1x5 - 60KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 30KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 -10% - 40KG
    CGBP 3x8 (Had to change this for the same exercise as workout A due to the smith machine being in use)
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8 25KG

nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicklyne will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep up the good work bro!
    I REP BACK

Calories in vs Calories Out Bro
    IIFYM

NEBOSH

Originally Posted by nicklyne View Post
    Keep up the good work bro!
    Cheers dude

Workout A II

Workout A

Squat 5x5 - 65KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 50KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 60KG
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 60KG *

Today was a bad day for my squats.
    Yesterday I had a football match and could barely stand afterwards. Today my quads were still sore, and after trying 65KG squats again, I failed on the second set. I also went to the gym with a friend today, so I was able to do CGBP with a spotter. It was my first time doing CGBP so didn't go crazy with the weight.

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 50KG
    Deadlift 1x5 - 70KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 35KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 55.5KG
    CGBP 3x8 - 40K
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8 - 30KG

Fairly pleased with how things are coming along, even though it's only the first day of week one. I've got my friend on this routine now, so hopefully we'll be there to push each other when times get hard.

Squat 5x5 - 65KG
    Bench Press 5x5 - 45KG (Barbell for the first time)
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 55KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 70KG
    Overhead Extensions 3x8 - 60KG
    Hyperextention 2x10 - 15KG

So I've just been informed that a standard 7ft Olympic barbell weighs 20KG, and it should be included in the weights you record when lifting. Therefore, the next post will include updated numbers, with barbell included.

You learn something new everyday!

Workout A

Squat 5x5 - 85KG
    Bench Press 5x5 - 45KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 80KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 90KG
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 60KG *

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 70KG (The drop was because I had DOM's from a football match the day before)
    Deadlift 1x5 - 90KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 35KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 75.5KG
    CGBP 3x8 - 40KG

That's motivated me a little bit more.

End of week 2.

So, here we are at the end of week two.
    I feel good. My lifts are improving, I'm setting new personal records and I'm starting to notice differences.

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 85KG
    Deadlift 1x5 - 100KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 45KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 60KG
    CGBP 3x8 - 50KG
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20 - 50KG

Nothing pleased me more today than hitting 100KG's on the deadlift, so motivated right now.

I missed yesterdays workout, workout A of week three.
    I missed it due to twisting my ankle whilst playing football the day before, and was unable to walk, therefore wasn't able to get to the gym, let alone do anything like squats.

My ankle's still a little bit sore, however I'm hoping I'll be able to get up tomorrow morning and walk to the gym and get back to working out.
    I've also noticed I've stopped gaining weight. I've been without my phone for two weeks, and have only recently got it back, so I can now start using my fitness pal to track my calories again.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good to see you using a barbell, progress should be quick now
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    Good to see you using a barbell, progress should be quick now
    Yeah I hope so man

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 90KG
    Deadlift 1x5 - 102.5KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 35KG ( 10KG DECREASE FROM LAST WEEK? HELP?)
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 60KG
    CGBP 3x8 - 50KG

Squat 5x5 - 95KG
    Bench Press 5x5 - 50KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 80KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 90KG
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 20KG (Done with EZ bar)
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20 -

Feels like a while since I done Workout A.
    Squat 5x5 - 100KG
    Bench Press 5x5 - 50KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 85KG
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 90KG
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 20KG
    Hyperextention 2x10 - 25KG

Workout B

Squat 5x5 - 80KG (Took a 10% decrease to try to squat deeper)
    Deadlift 1x5 - 105KG
    Standing Press 5x5 - 40KG
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 80KG
    CGBP 3x8 - 50KG

Wbooth21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep up the good work. I too was "the skinny kid" when I was in high school. Even worse I was what they call fat skinny lol.
    In my final year I buckled down and trained hard and ate like a champ. I recommend the same for you!
    Just be careful with training. Make sure to warm up properly. Leave ego at the door and lift according to your body, don't try and rush huge gains or big lifts. They will come, trust me!

Originally Posted by Wbooth21 View Post
    Keep up the good work. I too was "the skinny kid" when I was in high school. Even worse I was what they call fat skinny lol.
    In my final year I buckled down and trained hard and ate like a champ. I recommend the same for you!
    Just be careful with training. Make sure to warm up properly. Leave ego at the door and lift according to your body, don't try and rush huge gains or big lifts. They will come, trust me!
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement man

iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iLastKinq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not a skinny kid and at 16 I have already been working out for 2 years;
    but you just motivated me, thank you

Good luck on your goals, your progress is incredible and I hope you carry on with it, I sure will be.

Originally Posted by iLastKinq View Post
    I'm not a skinny kid and at 16 I have already been working out for 2 years;
    but you just motivated me, thank you

Good luck on your goals, your progress is incredible and I hope you carry on with it, I sure will be.
    No worries man, stick with it. It's definitely worth it. Even gaining some fat due to eating at a surplus has helped me gain confidence, so it's all worth it. Good luck to you too brahh

Squat 5x5 - 85KG (These were real ATG squats, so I'll be building onwards and upwards from here on in)
    Bench Press 5x5 - 52.5KG (I feel that my chest is my weak point, so hopefully this will increase loads more)
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 65KG (Decreased from last time to improve form, definitely felt it more with good form!)
    Barbell Shrug 3x8 - 90KG (Stuck on 90KG, might drop a few KG's next time and reload)
    Skullcrusher 3x8 - 22.5KG (I feel like this is extremely weak, but it's an improvement from last time!)
    Straight Bar Curl 3x8 - 30KG (Thinking of dropping down to 25KG to improve form next week, we'll see)
    Hyperextention 2x10 - 10KG (Again, dropped the weight to really improve my form, definitely worth it)
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x20 (Always doing 3x20)

Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Snowflake2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Following yours and looks like your doing good. Jealous that you can curl 65 x 8 (or 30 KG).
    Weight: 171 lbs
    Bench: 110 lbs x 5
    Squat: 145 lbs x 5
    Deadlift: 205 lbs x 5

*Currently running Starting Strength*

Originally Posted by Snowflake2 View Post
    Following yours and looks like your doing good. Jealous that you can curl 65 x 8 (or 30 KG).
    Thanks man, I'll follow yours back when I get the chance.
    & Haha, just stick with it and remember to always increase the weight. When I first started out, I couldn't curl a 10KG DB, so it just shows there's progress.

Weight

The last time I weighed myself was before I started this routine.
    I was 188/189lbs

Today, the day after the final workout of week four, I weigh 193lbs.
    This works out at around 1lb per-week, which is what I was aiming for, so I'm extremely happy.

Squat 5x5 - 90KG
    Deadlift 1x5 - 105KG (I done 2 sets of 60KG and stopped. My back was aching quite a lot beforehand and I didn't want to risk injury)
    Standing Press 5x5 - 40KG (Seem to have stalled on this)
    Barbell Row 5x5 - 70KG (Building back up with decent form)
    CGBP 3x8 - 50KG
    Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x20