Closed Thread
Page 190 of 274 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 192 200 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,700 of 8194
    latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    @Haynes, no, I don't have PCOS, and it seems like you are doing way too much armchair diagnosing instead of letting doctors do their jobs. 'Weird' that my periods didn't come back? Doctors say it makes sense because of how young I was when I developed anorexia (13). Young women who become amenorrheic sometimes develop what is called hypothalamic amenorrhea, which can be very stubborn. But again, I would not have known that had I not gone to a doctor to check for other potential issues.

@latex, you probably don't trust yourself around food because your overexercise means you are constantly very hungry. You NEED to take at least one day off a week. Speaking from experience: I'm recently injured and have had to step my activity level way back from what I'm used to. At first I was a little scared I would gain weight, but it turns out, my appetite adjusted and I am so much less hungry than I was when working out more (and even then, I was not overexercising the way you are--geez, when I worked out that much I was constantly fighting hunger and fatigue). Think about that. It's not the food you don't trust; it's yourself around the food. Fix how you approach it and you won't overeat. And gaining a pound or two wouldn't be the end of the world anyway. Also please bear in mind it takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound. That's 3,500 calories of a surplus, over your daily need. How easily can you do that while eating mindfully and in the company of your family? They will, in a way, watch out for you--wouldn't they comment if you suddenly ate an entire pie or something?
    Thank you for your response. I normally eat with the 80/20 rule and save my calories for a nice Saturday night dinner. Now with our company meetings all week we will be going to fine dining places and I love food so I don't want to get a salad at a 5 star steakhouse. With me not going to the gym this week that's going to really throw me off.

Yes I know mentally I'm overtraining but it's hard to stop or scale back because I feel like I will gain weight with a day off. I'm always tired and feel myself struggling to make it up stairs at night my body is so tired. I do a lot of cardio. I average 6-7 miles per day running plus stair master and weights. Some days I do insanity as well plus go to the gym. I know I need to change

Haynes90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    @Haynes, no, I don't have PCOS, and it seems like you are doing way too much armchair diagnosing instead of letting doctors do their jobs. 'Weird' that my periods didn't come back? Doctors say it makes sense because of how young I was when I developed anorexia (13). Young women who become amenorrheic sometimes develop what is called hypothalamic amenorrhea, which can be very stubborn. But again, I would not have known that had I not gone to a doctor to check for other potential issues.
    Sorry didn't knew that detail...

And yes I am an armchair diagnosing because it's obvious that the doctors I talked too don't show **** about my condition, the guy say I am ''normal'' even tho an average 85 year old got an higher free T... Maybe your doctors are better in US but here it's pathetic enough.

So yes I did my homework, even tho information is limited (especially for men) I could right a thesis about the subject now. But what works in theory doesn't always work in real life.

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    @latex, I have so been there. It's a tough cycle to break! Why not use this week of rest and abundantly available food to get in touch with your real hunger? Just order what you want, but really pay attention to how you feel for once, not flogging yourself to make up for what you eat or restricting food because of not exercising. Think of it as a recalibration. You're getting back in touch with hunger signals and tiredness signals. If you focus on feeling good from what you eat, versus chasing tastes or what you think you want, you won't appreciably overeat--it doesn't feel good, it isn't comfortable.

Make sense? If I were you I'd order what I want for food, eat until satisfied or happily full, and enjoy the time away from the gym. Things will turn out OK. Treat yourself well. Think of your body as if it were your child and give it what it wants but not too much; don't punish it or beat it or overfeed it.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RefluxSux has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi all,

I’m new here. I recently noticed I had a problem with food when I increased my calorie intake by 500 cals a day overnight from 2000 calories to 2500 calories and my mood along with some of my other physical symptoms seemed to improve. I am also on an antibiotic for an h-pylori infection so that may be helping me somewhat. I wasn’t consciously restricting intake for aesthetic reasons per se but because I have acid reflux. I have also been exercising quite a bit in order to try and improve other medical issues I have been dealing with that started before I reduced my calorie intake (chronic pain, widespread tingling in body, etc).

My physical problems started in December of 2012 and got worse from then. In the summer of 2013 I got very sick and had to go to the hospital because I was dehydrated from vomiting which I now believe is when I was infected with h pylori. After this experience I developed acid reflux whenever I ate and was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor. Because of the terrible symptoms when I ate I began reducing what I ate and how much I ate. I was 145lbs. in the summer of 2013 with no calorie counting or restriction and I am now 5 foot 6 and 124 lbs. as a 24yr old male.This is a Normal bmi so a red flag wasn’t raised to in my many trips to doctors to try to figure out the reason behind the physical symptoms I have been having since before the reflux onset. I recently went to a new GI dr and he told me I have H pylori, a bacterial infection of the stomach that can cause ulcers and cancer if untreated for a while. I am on my third round of antibiotics to try and eradicate the bacteria. I feel the reflux and h pylori are the primary reasons behind my weight loss but I have also been counting calories and was at 1500 for a while then went to 1800 for a couple months and have been at 2000 calories for the past couple of months.

Since I have been on this new round of antibiotics and eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet my reflux symptoms have diminished. Because of this I was able to add calories back into my diet and my depression/mood changes and libido have improved a bit even though today is only my third day eating 2500 calories a day. I need to force myself to eat this amount because I have a real lack of appetite probably in part due to the antibiotics I am on. I am also still exercising because it helps with my other chronic pain symptoms.

Now I am lost as to how much to eat because I wouldn’t eat this much if left to my natural appetite. As I said I need to force myself to eat this amount and it is uncomfortable currently. I am trying to eat more calorie dense foods like nuts and dried fruits while trying to avoid foods that will aggravate my reflux. I just need some advice on how much I should be eating calorie wise in order to gain weight. I exercise 6 days a week and probably average 8-10k steps a day because if I am immobile too long my pain symptoms are exacerbated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100) latex55 is not very well liked. (-100)
    thank you very much. Im currently in mental therapy and its helping.

one thing my dr asked me yesterday is an interesting hypothetical. his point was, whats the worst thing that's going to happen? he said "what if you just didn't work out from now until the end of the year and enjoyed your company parties and family holiday meals, etc, whats the worst result? you gain 2-3 lbs?"

I liked the way he phrased it and I want to get that through my head. I know I will still work out at the very least 4-5 days and IF I were to gain the 2-3 lbs, I know im strong enough mentally to get back on the wagon starting 1/1 so is that the end of the world? how long would it take to get that 2-3 lbs off? and then it would be like it never happened?

I feel like im letting these joys of life pass me by without enjoying them and focusing too much on working out and its controlling my life

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^

Keep exploring the therapy route, seriously. It will help you more than anything at this stage of the game. It's VERY unfortunate, but many are too afraid to ask for help (or are too blinded by their diseases to recognize that they DO need professional help).

Your therapist was spot on, the "worst" that can happen really is NOTHING. Will that 2-3 lbs change YOU as a person?

deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadliftbrah19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Erik, I struggle with the "not weighing myself" because every time I do that, I gain a lot of weight!

I was so busy with my new job that I didn't weigh myself for 3 months, and now I've gained almost 10 lbs. And I was at the high end of "normal". Now my clothes don't fit.

Yet I haven't engaged in bulimia in 10 months, so that part is good. I've had a couple of binges where I use skills to not purge. But yes I tend to get in the cycle of restricting and then binging.......and my nutritionist has shown me healthier ways to eat.

ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The reason you gain weight when you do not weigh yourself, is likely due to you still engaging in ED habits/behaviors.

Not weighing yourself is a great battle to win, but the REAL battles are the hardest ones. (Rituals, obsessions, body image thoughts, etc).

You could NEVER weigh yourself ever again and be completely normal.
    (Scary thought, but true)

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    @deadlift
    3lbs a month= less than a lb a week
    weight you very well night need and thats a great rate
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Does Not Count Macros Crew

"Think in terms of limits and the result is limitation
    Think in terms of progress and the result is progression"

my day:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156294333

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vitalaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been battling my BED for over a year now and it is very scary being formerly obese but it occurred to me today that throughout this whole time I've NEVER given up my fight and have maintained my weightloss despite this disorder. It's definitely getting better in that it's gone from full blown 6k+ binges over the weekend to minor 600-700 over maintenance on weekends. Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me.

Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wietsegalo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AuschwitzStatus View Post
    Going to talk to my doctor tomorrow about Periactin...anyone tried/heard of it? Prescription strength pill that increases appetite. Will post results of visit tomorrow.
    O man I need to visit my doctor tommorow as well for the samen problem. I don't wanna go!

maxnathanson12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 22, a college senior, and have had an ED for the last 2-3 years. Started out dropping 40 lbs in a few months, and have been battling serious binge eating for the better part of the last year. I'm very active but not overboard and try to eat healthy whenever possible. Would like to lose some body fat around my stomach but don't know how to do that without counting/tracking calories/macros. Problems with binging come immediately after thinking about counting or tracking, but when I try to just eat sensibly and listen to my body I almost always end up binging. I've been seeing a therapist for about 8 months and feel good about a lot of my progress, but would love any opinions from fellow fit-conscious people about making fitness progressions and losing body fat within the scope of a recovering ED mentality. Haven't weighed myself in over a year but I'd guess I'm about 5'10" 155-160. Any and all advice and input helps and is much appreciated! Encouraging to see I'm far from the only person here dealing with these sorts of issues. Be strong and Go Broncos!

MN

^ welcome to the forum.

As far as short term advice, I'd strongly recommend seeking help from someone on your college campus. There are TONS of options as far as therapy goes (if you need additional help outside of your current therapy).

Wouldn't recommend intentionally trying to "lose body fat" or track calorie intake while recovering.

AB6472 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recovering, looking for advice.

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, sorry for the long post.  29 year old 5'10" male.  Quick recap of me- I have a history of drastic weight gain and weight loss. Got up to 270 lbs in college (severe depression and extremely unhealthy eating habits). Got my act together, started eating right and exercising and got down to 190 in the span of a few months. Looking back, it was probably too rapid. Maintained @ 190 for some time. Eventually, though not intentionally, down to 180.I had a good quality of life here - eating healthfully in moderation, exercising in moderation, enjoying foods and drinks I loved as well. It was fairly easy for me to maintain this weight.  

Kept on losing, though not intentionally,until 170. It was here, 2 years ago, when I developed a serious eating disorder. I was desperate for 6 pack abs and was determined to do whatever it took to get them. I was lifting and doing insane amounts of cardio while restricting calories to 1,200 a day. No sex drive, cold all the time, the whole 9 yards. Finally realized I had gone too far when I reached 147 lbs. Decided I needed to put on weight but was paranoid of gaining fat - so my eating remained heavily disordered (counting calories, weighing foods, hoarding food,  etc). Exercise was still extreme but I managed to get up to 160 lbs.

Eventually had no energy, had trouble walking, waking up 4x a night to urinate. Went to the doctors and a pituitary tumor was suspected but ruled out through MRI. Doctors were baffled as to why my testosterone was so low (virtually non existent). Doctors couldn't figure out what the problem was so I eventually gave up. I finally made the connection that I had an eating disorder and exercise addiction and this was causing my problems.

Finally started going to therapy a few months ago which has helped enormously. I am much less depressed, have been moderating my exercise more and even socializing more. Libido is back! I'm now up to 172 lbs but am still petrified of becoming fat again. I'm fearful the weight gain will never stop. I'm OK with not having a 6 pack but still would like to be in reasonably good shape.  At what point am I just being lazy? Thoughts of restriction, over exercising, and body image are constantly in my head. I'm still not eating "freely"- I eat pretty strictly during the week and enjoy 2 "cheat" meals on the weekend. I feel like this could be hurting me but I don't know how else to moderate my eating so that I remain reasonably in good shape.

Any help or advice on determining a healthy weight while/after recovering is really appreciated. Thank you for reading!

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lost my post oh noes!

But basically what I wanted to say to AB6472 is that I totally relate, but you are NOT LAZY--or at least you are not lazy simply on the basis of your food choices and exercise habits.

And I also strongly urge you to stop considering food and exercise decisions in the light of morality. Stop having 'cheat meals' and eat sensibly but flexibly day in and day out, with some treats on top of regular meals when you feel like it. Eating and moving should not be a STRUGGLE. If they are, you are pushing too hard!

But yeah--food and exercise should not require extreme, excessive discipline and deprivation. Just sensible choices.

You want to talk laziness, let me give the example of my ex-boyfriend. He had a six pack (genetics + zero life obligations will do that), but he also played video games during the 8 hours a day he wasn't working out. Lazy. Hence, 'ex.'
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Thanks a lot for the advice, Shesprints.

I agree that more moderation and flexibility is needed. I remember 5 years ago when I used to be able to get a bag of peanut M&Ms on any night of the week and it was no big deal. I love peanut M&Ms! I haven't had them in years and years. Now, I have so many rules around not only what sorts of food I eat but also when I eat them.

For a long time, these cheat meals were the only thing I had to live for. I've since tried to add more things into my life besides food and exercising (going out with coworkers, doing stand up comedy), but I'd be lying if I said these cheat meals weren't still the climax of my week.

Does anyone have advice on this specifically? I'm fearful that if I take them away I'll just end up being too afraid to eat anything not "safe" or "clean" which will lead me to crave other types of food even more.

turtv189 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I guys, i need help. I'm going to explain you (shortly, i promise) the situation. Four years ago i loss 30kg without problem, i didn't had any binge or eating disorder...until last year. Last year i lost another 10kg because i had to reach some goals in order to join in the army and when i realized my dream the problems comes out. From that moment i experienced binge episodes, the first time only the week end (but the rest of the week i did diet so i didn't gained weight), now they are most frequently and i gained about 10kg. I can't stand one day of diet anymore, this is a failure to me. Because of this situation i don't live my life like normal peolple, i think all the time about food, i look myself at the mirror and i do not recognize myself. I tried to calculate what i eat: failure. I try to eat very little: failure. I try to decrease the carbs: failure. I tried everything, but didn't change. I just want to understand what is the root of the problem, solve it and come back to my weight. What can i do? I don't want to see a doctor before i tried whatever i can.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

Ascended Ultra Saiyan IridiumPaladin's Avatar
    IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by turtv189 View Post
    I guys, i need help. I'm going to explain you (shortly, i promise) the situation. Four years ago i loss 30kg without problem, i didn't had any binge or eating disorder...until last year. Last year i lost another 10kg because i had to reach some goals in order to join in the army and when i realized my dream the problems comes out. From that moment i experienced binge episodes, the first time only the week end (but the rest of the week i did diet so i didn't gained weight), now they are most frequently and i gained about 10kg. I can't stand one day of diet anymore, this is a failure to me. Because of this situation i don't live my life like normal peolple, i think all the time about food, i look myself at the mirror and i do not recognize myself. I tried to calculate what i eat: failure. I try to eat very little: failure. I try to decrease the carbs: failure. I tried everything, but didn't change. I just want to understand what is the root of the problem, solve it and come back to my weight. What can i do? I don't want to see a doctor before i tried whatever i can.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.
    Hello friend, you are not the only person, i suggest you seek therapy and support from your doctor, and of course from the people closest to you, because it sounds to me like that you are suffering from Binge Eating Disorder which can be deliberating to the individual who's afflicted by this disorder. Don't keep any binge foods inside your house, because if it isn't there, you are less likely to be able to binge, and try to plan every meal of the day and all your macro's one step at a time, i hope you will be able to overcome this challenge, because that is what it is in the end, like life, everything will challenge you but you got to get back up and show everyone how great you are! Never give up! We are all gonna make it brah, remember this. - Coming from a slowly recovering bulimic.

Oirad77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks bro

Originally Posted by IridiumPaladin View Post
    Hello friend, you are not the only person, i suggest you seek therapy and support from your doctor, and of course from the people closest to you, because it sounds to me like that you are suffering from Binge Eating Disorder which can be deliberating to the individual who's afflicted by this disorder. Don't keep any binge foods inside your house, because if it isn't there, you are less likely to be able to binge, and try to plan every meal of the day and all your macro's one step at a time, i hope you will be able to overcome this challenge, because that is what it is in the end, like life, everything will challenge you but you got to get back up and show everyone how great you are! Never give up! We are all gonna make it brah, remember this. - Coming from a slowly recovering bulimic.
    Thank you for your answer. The problem is that i did not eat all the food i like for one year so now if i try to stay away from food wich i like, i go out and eat until i'm full. Deprive myself lead me in this situation, so i don't want to repeat to myself "don't eat this, don't eat that" anymore.

Ascended Ultra Saiyan IridiumPaladin's Avatar
    IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50) IridiumPaladin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by turtv189 View Post
    Thank you for your answer. The problem is that i did not eat all the food i like for one year so now if i try to stay away from food wich i like, i go out and eat until i'm full. Deprive myself lead me in this situation, so i don't want to repeat to myself "don't eat this, don't eat that" anymore.
    There is no reason to deprive yourself from your favourite foods, because if it fits in your macro's you are certainly able to eat it, moderation is key, just eat a bit of the foods that you love every day, just be careful not to eat a pound of it of course, unless it's spinach which isn't calorically dense at all but in addition is very nutritionally dense. Eating according to "if it fits your macro's (IIFYM) and moderation" will also help getting your taste buds used to more nutritious foods while dieting. Moderation is good for preventing binges and to keep dieters sane.
    Eating Disorders Crew*
    Forever Alone Crew*
    Gogeta Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan 5 Crew*

determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz determined4000 has the mod powerz
    first off just a reminder to address others using the @ instead of reply-quoting

@turtv
    no food should be off limits. While I always endorse eating a healthy diet, eating other foods you desire in moderation is art of a healthy diet. You need to be healthy mentally and know nothing is all bad and that eating this or that isn't the end of the world in terms of health or physical being.
    Life is too short to dedicate your life to eating a certain way, maintaining a certain physique or exercising a certain amount.

Will you look back 5-6 years from now and regret not eating 100% clean, missing a WO, etc. or will the regrets be about not enjoying food, family, friends?
    Founder of MMDELAD
    "Micros Matter Dont Eat Like A Dumba**" (hydrogenated oils, shortening, mono and di-glycerides don't fit in my macros)

Training Philosophy to be strong: 1. Pick Weights up off the ground 2. Squat them 3. Push them over your head

Originally Posted by IridiumPaladin View Post
    There is no reason to deprive yourself from your favourite foods, because if it fits in your macro's you are certainly able to eat it, moderation is key, just eat a bit of the foods that you love every day, just be careful not to eat a pound of it of course, unless it's spinach which isn't calorically dense at all but in addition is very nutritionally dense. Eating according to "if it fits your macro's (IIFYM) and moderation" will also help getting your taste buds used to more nutritious foods while dieting. Moderation is good for preventing binges and to keep dieters sane.
    I know, i really need to re-educate myself, but my brain is on "danger mode" after i deprived myself for more than one year. Another big problem, at moment, is to loose the weight that i put on, 10kg. The only though of this lowers my mood.

Will you look back 5-6 years from now and regret not eating 100% clean, missing a WO, etc. or will the regrets be about not enjoying food, family, friends?
    This. But i don't want to became obese again and put back the weight i loss with so many sacrifices. I just want to come back to my weight, lose this 10kg and eat like normal peoples do.

Rigidity and Food Rules

Can any of you recovered guys give tips on how to eat more freely and fluidly?

I have this system of eating healthfully during the week and enjoying some "cheat" meals on the weekends. Sometimes I feel likeI have to be perfect all week in order to earn these meals. Then there's all this pressure and hype leading up to these meals because I'm so excited for them.

@AB6472
    I would suggest doing the opposite of what you do. Instead of trying to maintain SUCH a rigid diet on during the week and build up an anticipation to indulge or eat these "CHEATS" pm the weekends, you should just eat a more flexible diet each and everyday. There is no reason you can't enjoy "restricted cheat" foods in MODERATION each and every day.
    This is part of finding a BALANCE.
    Founder of MMDELAD

@ AB6

Not claiming to be one of these so called "recovered guys", but I can offer some input. The more and more restrictions and emphasis you place on FOOD, the more you will see EACH meal and everything you ingest as black and white. What I would suggest you do at this point:

- STOP HAVING "CHEAT MEALS"
    - STOP SEEING FOOD AS REWARD
    - PRACTICE MINDFULNESS WITH EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO!

@determined4000

I completely agree that more flexibility and "restricted cheat foods" during the week would majorly help alleviate the stress, anticipation, and ultimately social isolation revolving around weekend "cheat" meals. I know that I have to figure out a system that works for me personally but don't know where to begin. Do I start by keeping a box of cookies in my apartment and maybe having one a day? This is kind of a rhetorical question but I'm really interested in hearing specific ways of how you guys moderately eat foods you enjoy day in and day out.

@Erik

You are right about needing to stop seeing food as a reward. It has been one for me for quite some time. If I eat perfectly during the week, I reward myself with "bad" foods. If I kill myself at the gym, I earn my food reward. You're right that this is too black and white- I guess it has to do with OCD tendencies and my "all or nothing" personality.

@everyone

Thanks for the support and advice.

sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sonnydfrizzy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Night Time Eating Derailing Your Progress?

Find yourself eating "perfectly" throughout the day, only to slip up at night and lose all impulse control to the nighttime cravings? This is me for the last two years. After bouts with orthorexia, restrictive eating, exercise bulimia, and compulsive exercise, my healthy 5'11", 175 pound frame withered away into a 125 pound, lifeless (and friendless) skeleton. I lost all of my friends, destroyed relationships with family members, and was a slave to my disorder. I decided to make a change and start eating to gain weight, and with the weight gain came a lot of good, dense foods. I would munch and munch and munch throughout the night because I needed the food... right? Combine Intermittent Fasting with eating disorder recovery and well, voila, I started to habitually eat late at night.

I would always promise myself this would be the last time I would eat the entire gallon of ice cream before I went to bed. I would diligently write down my goals for the next day of eating "light and clean" to make up for the excess calories for the day before. This never broke the cycle.

I dearly wanted to stop the night eating. It ruined my days because I constantly was fighting off the anxiety of the binge I knew was coming that night. I would always tell myself "No night eating. Eat well during the day and do not eat tonight." Guess what? I would eat that night. I would fail. Every. Single. Time. I started to think that this habit would never be broken and that it was something I would have to deal with the rest of my life. Until I finally discovered what helps and is an effective way to ELIMINATE night eating for good.

Here are some things that may contribute to your night eating...

1. Your diet is too "clean"
    -- No food is off limits. Find yourself skipping the pizza and eating chicken and broccoli instead? It is okay to fulfill your cravings with pizza. Total macronutrient intake and consistency over time dictates ones health.

2. You focus too much on volume eating, rather than balanced eating.
    -- I would focus on eating to get full so that I wouldn't be able to binge. All it did was lead me to have a less meals but huge, voluminous meals. This is bad. Your stomach will stretch and any normal size meal will leave you feeling empty. Eat more frequent meals with adequate proteins, fats, and fiber, and eating high quality, nutritious and delicious foods. Snacking only led to binges for me. Oh yeah, and eat slowly and enjoy the taste!

3. You eat in isolation.
    -- Do you find yourself often eating alone? Night eating can lead individuals to feel lonely and depressed. Eat meals with others, enjoy their company, and you will find you won't want to binge/night eat.

4. Food is an emotional coping mechanism for underlying psychological issues you have.
    -- Like the last point. Do you feel lonely or depressed or angry? Is food your way of coping with this? If so, find an alternative method of coping with your psychological problems. I highly suggest seeking professional help from a counselor or psychologist. Seeing a psychologist was one of the most beneficial things I did in my journey with my eating disorder. It does not make you a weak-minded individual seeking out help; it makes you strong willed to overcome whatever is troubling you.

5. Food is your form of entertainment when bored.
    -- Bored at night, and go to the fridge? I found myself surfing the internet and eating at the same time. My had a cue (watch Youtube) to feel pleasure (eat food) and I ingrained this habit every day. So every time I went on the internet, I would subconsciously start to crave food out of habit. Determine what your food habits are, and eliminate them.

6. You have created a night time "routine" and your habitual brain is used to getting food at night.
    -- You eat dinner at 7pm confident that it is your last meal of the night. You go to watch t.v. or do some computer work, and then get tired. But before you head to bed, you get very anxious and want to eat. You fight and fight these cravings and start justifying why you deserve some ice cream and promise you will only have "one bite." Next thing you know, you ate the whole gallon. The next paragraph is HOW I MADE THE CRITICAL STEP TO FINALLY GETTING BETTER.

Replace your habit of night eating!

Like number 6 states, you have a habit of eating at night. No matter how hard you try and promise yourself you won't eat at night, you do. Here is why. Telling yourself you won't do something is not going to work. At least not for most. You need to break the habit and replace it with a new one. So instead of saying "No food _______ tonight," say this:

"Tonight I will eat dinner, and do xyz until I need to go to bed. At bed time, I will shower, shave, brush my teeth, wash my face, and get in bed to read. If after 15 minutes of being in bed I still want food, I will get up and go get some."

I have yet to lay down in bed and want to ever get up to get food. My bed = rest to be productive, happy, and healthy the following day.

It takes the focus off of "not eating" and puts it on an alternative habit and goal one must fulfill! I am currently making it a habit where I assimilate night time with relaxation, washing up, brushing my teeth, and reading. Give this a shot and see how it works for you.

For a video on habits, watch this:

We are habitual beings, so embrace your habits and make them effective and helpful to fulfilling your goals.
    Been playing with shafts and balls since '75.

@AB6472
    You are still making these arbitrary rules (just 1 a day)
    Eat what you feel like. I guarantee you will wake up the next day alive. You will not be 10lbs heavier. You wont have derailed whatever progress you have made. The only thing you might be is happier.
    Founder of MMDELAD

ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000) ifguy12 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Do you think it is best to weigh yourself just once a week so that you don't allow some arbitrary number to control your life?

Closed Thread
Page 190 of 274 FirstFirst ... 90 140 180 188 189 190 191 192 200 240 ... LastLast