robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Supplement industry 'insider'

Howdy!

The purpose of this posting is to get some information from you so that I can (hopefully) make your workouts, diet, and supplements work a lot better for you very shortly down the road.

My name is Rob Thoburn. I've been working in the bodybuilding/weight-loss supplement industry since I was about 23. I'm 33 now. I've been bodybuilding since I was 16.

I started out writing articles for the mags --Muscle & Fitness, Ironman, Muscle Media 2000, etc. Later on, I began working with supplement companies --MuscleTech, MET-Rx, SportPharma, and others.

I mostly worked in new product research and development, and later marketing (brand management, marketing communications).

In October 2001, I began consulting. I kind of got tired of some of the silliness (from my perspective) in the industry, however, so I decided a few months ago to focus on my passion: translating basic science into entertaining, thought-provoking and (hopefully) useful concepts of importance to building muscle and losing fat --in otherwords, improving the way you look in the mirror.

I still do some consulting, but mostly I'm focusing on my Web site and books.

Which brings me to you: My Web site is intended to entertain you and also make your life easier. That's why I want your opinion.

Please do your best to answer the following question.

If the bodybuilding magazines, Web sites and books you consult were to suddenly stop sharing every piece of information but ONE, what would you want that ONE piece of information to be?

Said another way, what kind of information can you absolutely not bear to do without?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. I really, really appreciate it. I promise to pay you back very soon down the road with the very best informational resources available to the serious bodybuilder and like-minded fitness enthusiasts.

Kindest regards,
    Rob

Rob Thoburn

Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankiexq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dunno about ONE

i actually read FLEX, MuscleMag and Muscle & Fitness regularly. i don't mind all the ads, they're colorful.

as for your question: i would have to go with 2 responses
    1. new supplement breakthroughs
    2. training tips (new methods of basics, compounds, super-sets, reverse pyramiding)

i hope this helps.
    i wish we could have avatars.

RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Supplement industry 'insider'

Originally posted by robertthoburn
    Said another way, what kind of information can you absolutely not bear to do without?
    Unfortunately, mine doesn't exist.

It would be knowing about the industry's insights.
    i.e. who invests the most on quality control, who does not hold back on the quality of ingredients used, what owners of supp. companies have to say about others', are we really getting what we are paying for etc.

A bit like computer magazines. In other words, a thorough analysis of the supplement industry.

Thanks.
    "Strive for perfection,
    Nothing less"

ScottWarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the nutritional section, like the new research study results, and articles on foods, i love that, but i am also madly in love with food. If food had two legs and a pvssy, i would marry my food.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm food (in a homer simpson voice)
    Scott Warman is the GREATEST powerlifter known!

supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Re: Supplement industry 'insider'

Originally posted by RippedUp

i.e. who invests the most on quality control, who does not hold back on the quality of ingredients used, what owners of supp. companies have to say about others', are we really getting what we are paying for etc.

A bit like computer magazines. In other words, a thorough analysis of the supplement industry.

Thanks.
    With you on that RU. Many others will also be.
    'Ain't Nothing to it but to do it'
    'Lightweight'
    Ronnie Coleman

wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wasntme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i really wonder how accurate protein powders are on the nutritional values, not just grams of protein, but do they really use protein blends, etc.. and which companies are the most trust worthy.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear... And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain

ScottWarman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by wasntme
    i really wonder how accurate protein powders are on the nutritional values, not just grams of protein, but do they really use protein blends, etc.. and which companies are the most trust worthy.
    YESSSSSSSS!!!!!
    Scott Warman is the GREATEST powerlifter known!

u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) u5711 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Id also agree with RippedUp. There are too many number ones out there for every supp you want. I always found head-to-head comparisons interesting in other magazines for various things. Then you get clear answers on what makes this better than that in an unbiased manner.
    "Like those in the valley behind us, most people stand in sight of the spiritual mountains all their lives and never enter them, being content to listen to others who have been there and thus avoid the hardships."

NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NPursuit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: Supplement industry 'insider'

Originally posted by RippedUp

Thanks.
    I'm with you on that. Perhaps something like a consumer reports where products are tested for the quality and quantity of ingredients.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed
    me off.

Mod @ AnabolicMinds.com
    Mod @ Gaining-Mass.com
    Mod @ SupplementCentral.com
    Mod @ MMAAthletes.com

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Supplement industry 'insider'

Originally posted by robertthoburn
    If the bodybuilding magazines, Web sites and books you consult were to suddenly stop sharing every piece of information but ONE, what would you want that ONE piece of information to be?

Kindest regards,
    Rob

Rob Thoburn
    I would absolutely die if they stopped running 8 page special muscletech research articles. Without them my life loses all meaning, and i would have noone to rate phony supplements, or noone to tell me how to gain 14 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks.

On second thought, since i only consult online mags for info now it would probably be training/excersise articles.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) robertthoburn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Good responses --very useful

Thanks everybody. So far, your responses have been great. Some have made me laugh, too (like Lonny's)!

The name of my Web site is Conseptz.com (not up just yet). The first book to be released under the Conseptz name will be "I don't NO", which discusses arginine and nitric oxide as they pertain to building a better body.

The purpose of Conseptz is to integrate basic science with 'real world' trial-and-error so as to provide you with entertaining and practical concepts of importance to builing muscle and losing fat.

Based on your answers to this point, I get the feeling that a great many of you may not be interested in this as much as knowing what 'really goes on' behind the corporate fence.

Having worked for a number of supplement companies over the years, I can tell you that it's not as interesting as some might think. At times, it is in fact quite disappointing if you are naively optimistic and passionate as am I. Nevertheless, there are some companies out there that do try to put out the best products they can.

Perhaps label testing and personal communications from the supplement companies themselves could be incorporated into Conseptz down the road.

I welcome any more comments you may have.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your time and patience.

Best,
    Rob

Robert Thoburn