Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000)

5x5 for atheletes..

well i want to go on the SF 5x5.. but the thing is that i'm training for sports and track so i need to also incoorporate running and plyometrics and some olympic lifting. In the link madcow says not to mess with the routine, but i was wondering if it would be possible to tweak it a little to fit my goals (ro get stronger and faster while at the same time training cardio) without ruining the routine..

Athletels help me out here, especially if there are any of you that have done the prgram and added in athletic training aswell.

Basically i'd need to add in power cleans (which i know can be substituted for rows), power snatches and jerks, plyometrics and running..

I was thinking of doing the running on the off days from lifting (these are "tempo" for any track atheletes out there, which would typically amount to around 3000+metres).. plyos would go on the lifting days prior to weights, and i'd sub in power clean for rows, power snatch and jerks for the flat bench or the incline press... Heres what i had in mind but i'm worried i might burn out witht he added traning components ( i did last time when i was on the 5x5 and did sprints 3x/week along wth conditioning): ps the workouts are identical to madcows template except for the indicated changes (labeled with *):

mon:
    3x10 tuck jumps*
    3x10 bounding*
    powercleans* subed for rows but done for triples instead of reps of 5 with same overall volume... ie 5x3, or 3x3, 3x2
    squat (as in the template)
    bench (as in template)
    abs (as in template)

tues: tempo running (200m rest 45 s, 300m rest 1 min, 400m rest 90s... x4..done at 75-80% of best times for each distance)

WEd:
    3x5 box jumps*
    4x3 power snatch*
    deads (as in tempalte)
    depth jumps 3x5*
    jerks 4x2-3* (subbed for inc press)
    squat (as in template)
    abs (as in template)

Thurs: tempo running (same as tues or a variant of it)

Friday:
    3x10 bounds or hurdle hops*
    3x10 alternate leg bounds*
    powercleans * subed for rows but again done for reps of 2-3, with the top set being 1 rep instead 3 same overall volume though as the rows in the template
    squats: same as template
    bench: same as tempalte
    weighted pullups as assistance* 3x5-6
    abs (as in template)

then running session intensive tempo... ie 3x150m rest 2mins, 3x200m rest 3mins... done at 85-90% of best times..

sat/sun off

i was also thinking that i'd do it this way for the builup phase (the first 4 weeks) then when i start the intensification phase and try for PRs i'd lower the volume of plyos...
    thanks for any input...

Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Helis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It may be worth doing Westside for Skinny Bastards or one of the variations instead of 5x5.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What he said ^^^^^^
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I believe the original version of the 5x5 workout involved some olympic lift work in plac eof either rows or deadlifts. With any program as an athlete, you will have to tailor it to your own needs, as you will most likely be performing some sort of actual sports practice 5 times a week. Just get plenty of rest and food, don't kill yourself.

OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    read around on the midwestbarbell.com forums...glenn pendly posts there often and has posted a lot of routines like the 5x5... see if there is anything there

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What is your exact event in track? The training is gonna be very different for a miler vs. a sprinter vs. a shot putter...

And what is your strength on the lifts right now?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bill Starr's 5x5 was designed for football. The last time I checked they were considered athletes. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=809027 My 5x5 thread
    http://www.strengthcats.com/classicfootballII.htm

Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Liquidtensi0n View Post
    What is your exact event in track? The training is gonna be very different for a miler vs. a sprinter vs. a shot putter...

And what is your strength on the lifts right now?
    200/400m plus i paly soccer aswelll... during the use of the program (5x5 or whatever i end up doing) i would not be doing any soccer, or sprints int he form of max v work... just whats listed above..

My strength is pretty weak.. to embarrased to say...

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    Bill Starr's 5x5 was designed for football. The last time I checked they were considered athletes. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=809027 My 5x5 thread
    http://www.strengthcats.com/classicfootballII.htm
    thanks for the links... but reading thorugh the prgrams it seems like 5x5 for power cleans is ALOT of volume and too many reps/set... i think poewr cleans should be done for reps 1-3 at most... perhaps a 5 -8 sets of 2-3 reps would be more apporpiate for the lift?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Malodrax View Post
    thanks for the links... but reading thorugh the prgrams it seems like 5x5 for power cleans is ALOT of volume and too many reps/set... i think poewr cleans should be done for reps 1-3 at most... perhaps a 5 -8 sets of 2-3 reps would be more apporpiate for the lift?
    It depends on your level. If you can do a 5 rep set of power cleans with 200+ pounds then I would switch it to a 5x3 set rep scheme. At that level you don't need volume from power cleans you need 'POWER'. Speed x strength = POWER. With the emphasis on speed.

hmm i don't quite see what your saying.. for the PC or any olift for that matter you need power.. i'd say that after 3 reps form starts to break down and fatigue sets which diminishes the usefullness of the lift.. especially when you can't just drop the weight and havre to lower in manually after each rep.

Originally Posted by Malodrax View Post
    hmm i don't quite see what your saying.. for the PC or any olift for that matter you need power.. i'd say that after 3 reps form starts to break down and fatigue sets which diminishes the usefullness of the lift.. especially when you can't just drop the weight and havre to lower in manually after each rep.
    Because Starr's basic routine only gives you 1 upper body pull ie: PowerClean.
    5x5 isn't too much. It's been used since the late '70s by every beginner that's ever used His program. How ever I have switched the program up for some sophomores and seniors, change power cleans to 5x3 and add bent over rows for 5x5. Inso far as form breaking down do to fatigue, well if that happens the weight is to heavy and you failed to get all the reps. That applies to any lift.