Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips for Stretching

Its amazing to watch some of the guys and girls at the gym stretch before and/or after their work out.

I often find myself thinking, 'Where did you learn to stretch like that?!'

The truth of the matter is, most people have never learned how to stretch properly.

So I'll offer my observations to improve your form and effectiveness that you can gain from your stretching routine.

1. Don't use the stretch machines!: I find those machines to be almost worthless. I'll borrow a useful concept from yoga: organic vs. muscular energy. Muscular energy is about engaging your muscles to create a strong container in your body. Using the stretch machines only engages organic energy, which essentially means you're like a limp noodle stretching your muscles. When you stretch on the mat or on the floor, you can engage your muscular and organic energy, to create a strong and flexible container. Which is what we want to prevent injury and build strength. And everything you can do on a machine, you can do in a regular stretch.

2. When you engage your muscles, you also can stretch further: Yep I know its counterintuitive, but when you engage your muscles in the stretch, you create a stronger container to stretch further and more safely. I'm not saying flex as hard as you can, but engage your muscles in the stretch and you'll be able to stretch more deeply that before.

3. Keep your feet hip width apart: When you're stretching down to your toes or on the mat, keep your feet hip width apart.

4. Activate your toes: Always keep your feet and toes activated! This goes along with muscular energy. Let's say you're doing a seated forward fold, keeping those feet activated will give you that sensation of building a strong container. It also will encourage proper alignment in your body, which helps to prevent injury down the road. So keep those toes flexed, and pointed.

5. Keep a microbend in the knees: This not only prevents injury, but encourages muscular engagement in the legs. A slight bend in the knees can be adjusted as needed if you want to increase or decrease the stretch.

6. Shoulders down the back. This is going to be a universal tip. Even in a forward fold, your shoulder blades should moving down the back instead of all crunched up by your ears and neck. This creates space in the back and aligns your shoulders where they should naturally be.

A quick warm up routine. I usually do a 5 minute stretching routine before I start my work out. Nothing crazy but usually looks like this.

Standing forward fold, plank(top of push up), down dog, runners lunge, seated forward fold.

This simple routine will stretch out your legs, lower back, warm up the shoulders, and also stretch out the lats.

Hold the stretch for a little longer than normal to give your body the chance to really stretch out. This can happen after 1-2 minutes, depending on how tight your muscles are.

If you follow these simple guidelines, I am confident you'll get more out of your stretching routine to prevent injury and warm up your muscles.

mTron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the tips, I have to start streching for a longer period of time!

oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oakspringer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mTron View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I have to start streching for a longer period of time!
    No problem!

Muscles like to take their time when you're stretching, so really anything less than a few minutes on a muscle group will help, but longer periods will be better to improve bloodflow, etc.

Siren_of_Titan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice post. I also sort of roll my eyes when I see people stretching the way we learned how to in middle school, or just stretching ineffectively.

One edit I'd suggest is that it's not a good idea to stretch cold muscles, as you can strain or pull something easier that way. I am a huge advocate for stretching, but not before I walk or cycle for a while to get some heat into the muscle.

Registered User islabucasgrande's Avatar
    islabucasgrande has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm just one of the millions worldwide who just don give a damn on the importance of stretching. I never thought it should be made that way. Thanks for the information relayed. Now, its like a new day for me in the turf of exercise and fitness.

Make health a priority LiftedMind's Avatar
    LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftedMind is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whats your take on Yoga? Great article by the way.
    GUIDE #6 | 23 Steps to Perfect Sleep ► bit.ly/23-Sleep
    GUIDE #5 | Magic Moments ► bit.ly/MISC-5
    GUIDE #4 | Meditating ► bit.ly/MISC-4
    GUIDE #3 | Mentors ► bit.ly/MISC-3
    Healthy brain ► bit.ly/BrainGains
    Life Wisdom ► bit.ly/LifeWisdom
    301 life changing books ► bit.ly/301books
    Optimize your sleep , eat more vegetables, deepen your relationships with love, gratitude, compassion. Read more books, watch less tv (active learning vs passive). Meditate daily. Get in touch with your body & soul

stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50) stanlehh will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have been told stretching after workout is more important than pre-workout, would you be able to clarify that?

ps. great post =)

clink88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clink88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clink88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clink88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clink88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by stanlehh View Post
    I have been told stretching after workout is more important than pre-workout, would you be able to clarify that?

ps. great post =)
    You should really be doing stretching before and after workouts, just different types of stretching. Pre-workout you should be doing dynamic stretches . To quote vertical mastery training guide (I cant be assed looking anywhere else for a better definition :P) "dynamic stretches which are consists of controlled leg and arm swings that gently take you to the limits of your range of motion consists of controlled leg and arm swings
    that gently take you to the limits of your range of motion. Examples of dynamic
    stretching would be controlled leg swings, hip circles, arm swings, or torso twists.

Post workout use static stretching which is holding the stretch in a certian position 30-60 seconds.

So dynamic is more stretching with a controlled amount of movement, to prepare your body for the movements you make when working out, while static stretching, is holding the stretch in a position to legthen the muscle and improve its flexibility. You really want to leave static stretching till after your workout as static stretching impacts on your power (decreases it by about 5-10%- that can impact your lift)

Also make sure you warm up, and cool down (eg.light skipping, running 5-10 minutes) before workout for optimum results

Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markboss is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a huge fan of stretching and for anyone out there who wants to improve their flexibility the key is to make a habit of it. I always start a workout with 5min of cardio to warm-up followed by at least another 5min stretching before doing any weights. After my workout I do another 5min of mild cardio followed by another 5min of stretching.

I know it sounds like a lot of effort to most people but I believe the benefits are definitely worth it.

that which has emerged Alan David's Avatar
    Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've added stretching to my pre and post workout recently and it's done wonders.

I jog for 5 minutes on the treadmill, stretch, lift, do cardio, cool down, and stretch.

I like to do shoulder stretches along with general back / legs,.
    It just makes me feel better, but has made a huge difference before and after
    the heavy bag routine.

Like I said it makes a huge difference. I feel so good I looked into stetches you can do
    at work / at the computer. That's been huge too.
    "The two kinds of people, on earth I mean, are the people who lift and the people who lean."

Registered User HardcoreBrandyn's Avatar
    HardcoreBrandyn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    deff learned something from this thread. thanks!
    Bulking until August 31st.

Current sups:
    ON whey and casein
    Universal Shock Therapy
    Animal Pak
    Cycling Animal M-Stak
    Fish Oil
    lot of food

AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) AlexSosnovsky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I never stretch and I do not regret it, because I never had an injury or anything. Ppl who stretch waste their lives, seriously. at least when ur young u dont have to stretch

mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrguineapig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see lots of people stretching cold. From what I was told, Navy Seals don't stretch cold - they warm-up with a run before they stretch. I figure that's probably a solid habit to follow?

Just my 2 cents.
    Guinea Pig Diary: Losing pounds while trying to gain.
    www.guineapigdiary.com

jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50) jcolson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AlexSosnovsky View Post
    I never stretch and I do not regret it, because I never had an injury or anything. Ppl who stretch waste their lives, seriously. at least when ur young u dont have to stretch
    Why dont you start stretching and see how much stronger it makes your squat, deadlift, straight-leg deadlift, and a whole bunch of other workouts.
    www.bodybioclinic.com

Drink MCT for Breakfast.

Photorecovery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stretching should not include bouncing, it should be gentle, slow, and controlled if you want to receive most of the benefits. This type of stretching is called static stretching. We recommend static stretching for all the major muscle groups.

Antwan
    File recovery software
    [URL=http://www.datadoctor.biz]Recover Data[/URL]

that which has emerged Alan David's Avatar
    Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alan David will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stretching has made a big difference to me over the last 6 months.

Not to jack the thread, but this is a good little routine for pre workout stretching.
    It's good because it hits the major areas and it's easy enough to remember.
    I'd suggest doing both sets ( include the one he refers to as 'swimming' stretches).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.org/cm...eid=283&vote=4

I warm up on the tread mill, do all of these stretches, work out, cool down, and follow a dvd routine for post stretching, which gets a little more involved.

Still, I love this routine as a pre stretch. I use it before and after running, and before and after doing heavy bag routines too. Loosening the shoulders has made a huge difference
    in how I feel post heavy bag work out.
    "The two kinds of people, on earth I mean, are the people who lift and the people who lean."

ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I recommend "The Anatomy of Stretching" by Brad Walker. This book has some of the most important details about stretching that need to be realized and can benefit everybody who is looking to safely stretch.
    Word is Bond

Lakers - Mackin' on your favorite team since 1947

someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) someeh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stretching makes all the difference before and after a workout! I need to make sure I stretch longer before and after.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by oakspringer View Post
    1. Don't use the stretch machines!: I find those machines to be almost worthless. I'll borrow a useful concept from yoga: organic vs. muscular energy. Muscular energy is about engaging your muscles to create a strong container in your body. Using the stretch machines only engages organic energy, which essentially means you're like a limp noodle stretching your muscles. When you stretch on the mat or on the floor, you can engage your muscular and organic energy, to create a strong and flexible container. Which is what we want to prevent injury and build strength. And everything you can do on a machine, you can do in a regular stretch.
    Could you go more into this organic/muscular thing? I haven't studied yoga thoroughly enough to encounter this concept apparently, I'm not sure what it means. Does it relate to using stability?

The main benefit I figured with machines like say, a hip abduction machine, would be that you could apply pressure to open the hips and tire their muscles without damaging the knees.

Originally Posted by AlexSosnovsky View Post
    Waste is relative. As stretching could enhance progress or increase mobility to do certain things, many see benefit in it.

It's hard to believe you do not stretch. Anybody who moves has stretched. You may not make a habit of training it but you probably do it unconsciously throughout the day, and while using a range of motion for your weightlifting.

retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) retromind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you, i need to put more effort in my strecth routine... since i just make sure, my shoulders and joints are ok...

Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lufbrauni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    helpful article.... thanks bro

brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000) brian1570 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i usually do dynamic stretches right before i pick up the bar, lay on the bench etc. then do static stretching once i am finished with my work out. but i really never put much effort into either. and even so stretching to a small extent helps.

in my mind though, stretching when i'm sore usually does the most good.

m1kolenda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1kolenda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good guide, i always spend a rediculous amount of time stretching.
    Any hints to get your arms to go further back, like for squats? I do shoulder dislocations but sometimes i feel like those are just tearing my bicep or something

Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Raidmax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the post OP. nice stuff!

Originally Posted by Alan David View Post
    Stretching has made a big difference to me over the last 6 months.

Not to jack the thread, but this is a good little routine for pre workout stretching.
    It's good because it hits the major areas and it's easy enough to remember.
    I'd suggest doing both sets ( include the one he refers to as 'swimming' stretches).

edit: --cant post link--

I warm up on the tread mill, do all of these stretches, work out, cool down, and follow a dvd routine for post stretching, which gets a little more involved.

Still, I love this routine as a pre stretch. I use it before and after running, and before and after doing heavy bag routines too. Loosening the shoulders has made a huge difference
    in how I feel post heavy bag work out.
    thanks for the link mate

swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10) swift64 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How much time should I be allotting for stretching? I mean should I do three or four stretches for longer amount of time or lots of different stretches for shorter amount of time. I am really new to stretching and I remember from school we always did like 15 different stretches. Which ones are most important?

armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) armyworrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the stretching tips, I am not flexable at all
    "If you are losing weight, you are going backwards in life."

Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fool123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the good info man

gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gl360 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post brah. Very useful information

sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephvalarius is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the tips sir!

No carbs before 7pm EatPrayLift's Avatar
    EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50) EatPrayLift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Physiologically, stretching provides very little benefits as it pertains to warming up. Dynamic stretching, as mentioned by a few people already, accompanied by isometric muscle contraction is a much better combination pre-workout. As far as injury prevention and flexibilty, stretching is the way to go but it should never be done on a cold muscle.