Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big1342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can see that you are a bit of a smartass so I will drop below my maturity level and join you...inserting the word "could" in your post makes it speculation - therefore causing it to be theory, not fact...
    100% Health = 80% Nutrition + 20% Gym

College lifestyle + multiple knee surgeries got me into a mess. Heaviest I registered was 252 sloppy pounds.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by big1342 View Post
    I can see that you are a bit of a smartass so I will drop below my maturity level and join you...inserting the word "could" in your post makes it speculation - therefore causing it to be theory, not fact...
    Nope still not a theory, but then again I see you don't know who I am so I'll just let it be.

I guess my forum break was too long.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

MMAHead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

CKD vs TKD

So I've went through these 15 pages and learned a lot but there is not much info on TKD. Most people are doing this diet to drop weight (fat) whereas I am looking to gain muscle (with minimal/no fat gain).
    Would TKD benefit me more than CKD?
    Following TKD, would I still be able to achieve ketosis having pre and post workout carbs with 2 workouts in a day?

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are doing two workouts a day, you'd be hard put to avoid ketosis on any diet. If you are doing MMA or something similar, I reckon TKD would be a lot better for you.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Yes i fight MMA professionally so a lot of days I will work out twice.. once lifting and once MMA training (muay thai, jiu jitsu). So if I wanted to follow TKD should I eat carbs before and after both workouts or just before/after the lifting one?
    With working out twice and eating carbs around both workouts, it seems that there wouldn't be much time during the rest of the day to be in ketosis.

I am also confused about something I read here. I recall reading in this thread that during ketosis, liver glycogen is empty or near but you still have muscle glycogen. Doesn't liver gylcogen only deplete AFTER your muscle glycogen goes empty?

dhoodle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

I am very new to keto, and am still trying to work it out.

I am 266lbs. What calorie intake should I be looking at when cutting?
    Vitals
    Height: 6'
    Sex: Male

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MMAHead View Post
    Yes i fight MMA professionally so a lot of days I will work out twice.. once lifting and once MMA training (muay thai, jiu jitsu). So if I wanted to follow TKD should I eat carbs before and after both workouts or just before/after the lifting one?
    With working out twice and eating carbs around both workouts, it seems that there wouldn't be much time during the rest of the day to be in ketosis.

I am also confused about something I read here. I recall reading in this thread that during ketosis, liver glycogen is empty or near but you still have muscle glycogen. Doesn't liver gylcogen only deplete AFTER your muscle glycogen goes empty?
    No, it's possible to have muscle glycogen and little or no liver glycogen.

You could try having some black coffee and coconut oil before your weights workout, which will give you energy but not affect ketosis, and have a carb meal before the MMA training.

Ok thanks for the reponses Eileen.
    One more question i have is about fruits. Would a little fruit in the morning affect ketosis that much?

Ok thanks for the reponses Eileen.
    One more question i have is about fruits. Would a little fruit in the morning affect ketosis that much?
    Unless you are planning to go out running directly after. Fructose affects ketosis more than other sugars. The odd handful of berries can work, but in general, keep fruit for carb-up.

Do I still do carb ups with TKD? Thought that there were no carb up days with TKD

fireflywa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright, I've read as much as possible about this topic, but I still have a couple questions.

My stats:

23yrs old
    5'10"
    170lbs
    10% BF

Daily intake:

1700 cal, 153g protein, 114g fat, 16g carbs
    ~60/36/4

Workout routine:

Monday - chest/tris & evening softball (two games)
    Tuesday - back/bis
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - legs & evening softball (two games)
    Friday - depletion workout
    Saturday - softball tournament (3-5 games)
    Sunday - softball tournament (1-5 games)

I play softball at a highly competitive level and it's one hell of a workout. I doubt I'll need to add any additional cardio. The weekend tournaments continue for the next six weeks.

Supplementation/vitamins:

EC
    CLA
    Creatine
    Fish oil
    Animal Pak
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D

Questions:

1) Is my 60/36/4 ratio close enough to the suggested 65/30/5? The only way to reach the ideal ratio would be to increase total calorie intake...I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable eating that many calories.

2) My schedule only permits a Friday morning depletion workout so I don't know exactly how to work my carb up. I could carb up all day Friday (about 12-16 hours), or continue through Saturday night (36-40 hours). A Friday-only refeed would fit my lifestyle much better... I understand the ratio should be reversed to 5/30/65, but how many calories should I shoot for? I'm guessing somewhat above maintenance due to the massive amount of calories I burn on Saturdays. If I carb up Friday and Saturday, do I follow 5/30/65 for both days, or somehow come up with an amount of carbs (by gram) to split between the two days?

3) Drinking one serving of casein protein at bedtime has been thoroughly ingrained into my head... However, I haven't seen much discussion about this in regards to a keto diet. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere.
    Last edited by fireflywa; 07-29-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added question #3

Do I still do carb ups with TKD? Thought that there were no carb up days with TKD
    Not regular ones. If you are find you are absolutely flattened, you could do a short one.

Originally Posted by fireflywa View Post

1) Is my 60/36/4 ratio close enough to the suggested 65/30/5? The only way to reach the ideal ratio would be to increase total calorie intake...I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable eating that many calories.

2) My schedule only permits a Friday morning depletion workout so I don't know exactly how to work my carb up. I could carb up all day Friday (about 12-16 hours), or continue through Saturday night (36-40 hours). A Friday-only refeed would fit my lifestyle much better... I understand the ratio should be reversed to 5/30/65, but how many calories should I shoot for? I'm guessing somewhat above maintenance due to the massive amount of calories I burn on Saturdays. If I carb up Friday and Saturday, do I follow 5/30/65 for both days, or somehow come up with an amount of carbs (by gram) to split between the two days?

3) Drinking one serving of casein protein at bedtime has been thoroughly ingrained into my head... However, I haven't seen much discussion about this in regards to a keto diet. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

Personally, I think you should be eating 2000 cals or even more with that level of bodyfat and that level of activity. Have you tried eating only 1700 and doing that lot?

A Friday only carb-up is fine. I'd suggest you start with about 30% above maintenance calories, and reverse the macros.

Keto tends to be muscle sparing, so losing muscle is not as much of a concern as on other diets. However, with your level of activity, you definitely want to make sure you are getting in enough protein, so stick with your casein supper.

joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello Eileen,

New to this subject..I have been doing KETO except that I only carb-up fri/sat i guess since time is calculated from 4pm-4pm and it really 1 meal that i have the luxury of doing it via my weekend trip to subways. Anyways I have doing this Sun-Thur and knowing my body has been a roller coaster ride. I started to KETO from Jun 2009 weighing over 345lbs. I was actually 360+ and in denial mode and looking closer and closer to 400. I read about KETO and changing my metabolism to give it a kick start and now I am really studying my intake to see where I can tweek it. I am now at 255 with 27% bf (via hydrostatic) 5'11. What would you think is the correct breakdown according protein/carbs/fat be ? I see 60/35/5 or 60/30/10 what is the formula and is it based on activity as well. I work out 5 x week and morning cardio 4x in the morning. This is a sample meal and ready for any assistance !

Meal 1: Protein Oatmeal or 10 egg white omelet and 2 servings of cream of wheat or oatmeal protein shake
    Meal 2: chicken/fish/turkey/beef w/ sweet potatoe
    Meal 3: almonds/pecans/walnut mix
    Meal 4: Chicken/fish/turkey/beef w/salad (lettuce/carrots/cabbage)
    Meal 5: almonds/pecans/walnut mix
    post workout: protein shot (49gms)
    Meal 6: 4-5 eggs with cheese omelet or oatmeal protein shake
    Meal 7: casein protiem (optional)

The calories run around 2500-2800 a day

I take 2gms fish oil/omega 3-6-9 , 3000iu vitiman D, 1.5 gms of vitamin c, 6gms of CLA and fat burner (2x) a day

Thanks any comments...I really appreciate it !

Joseph
    Mar 2, 2014 228.6 lbs (26% BF)
    Aug 4, 2013 216 lbs (23% BF)
    Jan 1,2011 245 lbs ( no recent BF %)
    Oct 7,2010 247.3 lbs
    Aug 25, 2010 251.4 lbs (25% BF)
    Jun 18,2010 273.4 lbs (30% BF)
    May 29,2010 280-279 (35% BF)
    Jan 30,2010 294.2 lbs (40% BF)
    * Mar 27,2009 388.0 lbs (48 % BF) *

* " The day I went home and was unable to put a seat belt on a plane and decided enough was enough. I am going to change and will change "

That's an impressive weight loss.

That meal plan is interesting, but it's not keto. Keto has no cereals or grains, no sweet potato, oatmeal and very few carrots.

Aim for 65% of calories from fat, 30% from protein and 5% of calories from carbs. That formula should work regardless of exercise, since if you are extremely active or inactive, you adjust overall calories to compensate.

What do your macros work out at?

feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK, I'm not getting the results I want (I've lost 12 lbs in about 9 weeks and I'm certain it's all water), so I'm gonna try the ECA stack. How does one stack ECA properly while on keto? And, where should I look to buy the E, C, and A?

Thanks again.

4JDB7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by feloniousmonk View Post
    OK, I'm not getting the results I want (I've lost 12 lbs in about 9 weeks and I'm certain it's all water), so I'm gonna try the ECA stack. How does one stack ECA properly while on keto? And, where should I look to buy the E, C, and A?

Thanks again.
    You can just go online and type in "diet pills with ephedra" which will give you websites that sell ECA or you can go to your local CVS/Walgreens and piece it together yourself. Caffine pill, baby asprin, and then you would get ephedra from some chest decongestants. I use to get vivarian, bayer low dose (80 mg) and bronk-aid. I've been on keto for about a week now and been using ECA everyday.

joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joseph33012 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    That's an impressive weight loss.

That meal plan is interesting, but it's not keto. Keto has no cereals or grains, no sweet potato, oatmeal and very few carrots.

Aim for 65% of calories from fat, 30% from protein and 5% of calories from carbs. That formula should work regardless of exercise, since if you are extremely active or inactive, you adjust overall calories to compensate.

What do your macros work out at?
    Thanks for respoding. I went the calculate the macros has me at 3900 calories and I hardly get close to that amount. I did go beef free for 4 months while I was trying to lose bdyfat and no I am eating beef (angus cut) as much as I can. Based on the macro can you suggest a sample keto type of meal that i can try and see if it does help me reduce bodyfat. I am just wanting to try something different to shock the system. Strange with that eatingI I still losing weight and also cut soda completely. I dirnk a diet once in a while but water and lemon wedges is my drink if I need to hydrate.
    I appreciate you information,

Joseph
    Mar 2, 2014 228.6 lbs (26% BF)
    Aug 4, 2013 216 lbs (23% BF)
    Jan 1,2011 245 lbs ( no recent BF %)
    Oct 7,2010 247.3 lbs
    Aug 25, 2010 251.4 lbs (25% BF)
    Jun 18,2010 273.4 lbs (30% BF)
    May 29,2010 280-279 (35% BF)
    Jan 30,2010 294.2 lbs (40% BF)
    * Mar 27,2009 388.0 lbs (48 % BF) *

* " The day I went home and was unable to put a seat belt on a plane and decided enough was enough. I am going to change and will change "

mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How long does it take until I really feel keto taking place? I've been dieting keto for 2.5 days. I am getting cut in my legs already and my abs are showing more. But I'm pretty sure it is water at this point. I plan to get ketostix tonight.

Thanks.
    Deadlift 520lbs
    Squat 405lbs
    Bench 260lbs

Originally Posted by joseph33012 View Post
    Thanks for respoding. I went the calculate the macros has me at 3900 calories and I hardly get close to that amount. I did go beef free for 4 months while I was trying to lose bdyfat and no I am eating beef (angus cut) as much as I can. Based on the macro can you suggest a sample keto type of meal that i can try and see if it does help me reduce bodyfat. I am just wanting to try something different to shock the system. Strange with that eatingI I still losing weight and also cut soda completely. I dirnk a diet once in a while but water and lemon wedges is my drink if I need to hydrate.
    I appreciate you information,

Joseph
    Aim for about 13-14 cals per pound of lean mass. Too many calculators seem to think we are all breastfeeding or digging ditches all day long.

Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
    How long does it take until I really feel keto taking place? I've been dieting keto for 2.5 days. I am getting cut in my legs already and my abs are showing more. But I'm pretty sure it is water at this point. I plan to get ketostix tonight.

Thanks.
    The first time you go keto, it can take 3-4 days to get into ketosis. After that, 1-2 days.

mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mikecart1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

The first time you go keto, it can take 3-4 days to get into ketosis. After that, 1-2 days.
    Cool man. I'm excited. Although I am somewhat lower in weight than I would like, it must be working. Still lifting at PR levels so I am not losing much muscle if any. I want to see striated chest haha.
    Deadlift 520lbs
    Squat 405lbs
    Bench 260lbs

feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Should I have any health concerns stacking ECA on top of keto, and HIIT cardio? Is there a dosage I should shoot for (6'1', 240)?

Thanks again!

4JDB7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by feloniousmonk View Post
    Should I have any health concerns stacking ECA on top of keto, and HIIT cardio? Is there a dosage I should shoot for (6'1', 240)?

Thanks again!
    Of course you should consault your doctor before taking any weight loss/ stimulant pills. Now that being said, I personally take ECA and train heavy throught the week and I'm 5'10" 245 lbs. Anything that you get you might want to start with half the dose for the first few days to see how your body responds to it. I don't know how true this is but I read on a site that sells ephedra pills that its ok to take but do not exceed 100mg of ephedra per day. Now that does depend on a persons reaction to the pills.
    Try going to dietpills-with-ehpedra.com and check out their information and products on there

Good luck telling your doctor you plan to take ephedrine! But as long as you are in good health, with no problems with heart or blood pressure, you should have no problems. Of the three ingredients in the ECA stack, A is the one that's banned for breastfeeding mothers. The E is a "take with caution" one.

The Danish experience, where ECA was used under medical supervision for the treatment of obesity, showed that it was a safe and effective medication.

I got ketostix today from Walgreens and peed on one and it didn't turn the color it was supposed to. I am somewhat on the low side of keto from what it says even though there is no way I am taking in more than 20 g of carbs a day. I am still getting more cut though, feel lightheaded during the day, and urine is dark yellow right now.

This is day 4-5 right now.
    Deadlift 520lbs
    Squat 405lbs
    Bench 260lbs

Any shake of pink means you are in ketosis.

tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000)

just a quick question

Just a quick question .. First time doing keto.. If I do 20gs carbs or less monday thru friday can I carb up saturday and go right back to 20gs or less on sunday? Im only planning on having 1 or 2 carb meals saturday. I do heavy weight training monday thru friday. Thanks for any info in advance. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted by tenacious707 View Post
    Just a quick question .. First time doing keto.. If I do 20gs carbs or less monday thru friday can I carb up saturday and go right back to 20gs or less on sunday? Im only planning on having 1 or 2 carb meals saturday. I do heavy weight training monday thru friday. Thanks for any info in advance. Much appreciated.
    Two straight weeks of keto when you first start, then you can carb-up. If you do heavy lifting Monday to Friday, then carb-up on Saturday and back to keto on Sunday.

tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000) tenacious707 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Two straight weeks of keto when you first start, then you can carb-up. If you do heavy lifting Monday to Friday, then carb-up on Saturday and back to keto on Sunday.
    Thank you very much for the reply. I was definitely having a harder time today with my leg workout then normal. Ill try putting my leg day towards the beginning of the week and see how that goes.. Thank you again.