Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Power Rack - Advice Please

Hi All,

I have been working out now for a while and I currently do the following main lifts.

Squats
    Bench
    Rows
    Chins
    Dips
    Deadlifts
    Military Press

I have been performing these exercises with a bench, squat rack and dip stand - which is obviously not exactly safe when i push myself.

So I have been looking around at power racks and think that this would be perfect for myself, as it incorprates all the lifts i wish to do safely into one piece of equipment.

Unfortunately i cannot post a link but if you type 'Powertec Power Rack' into google.co.uk it is the first result and is ?369.

Before I buy I was just wondering whether i could get confirmation of somebody probably more experienced than me in power racks whether this would be a worthwhile purchase for me.

Thanks in advance.

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need to search as there have been a bunch of threads lately about UK equipment.

The resident experts here on UK stuff would be Essexlad and Coke_Zero.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000) captmorganm6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Powertec is a very nice rack and worth buying.A lot of people on here have them.
    As for the price,someone like Essexlad would have to answer you on that one.He's our UK expert
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 23 []---[]

"I don't have time to lift, I make time"

Once, at my local gym, I went into the locker room to take a leak. There was this little hairy, naked guy (probably my age) with it swinging down to his knee. He was really showing it off and smiled at me (WTF?!?) and winked. Me, being me, told him out loud, "if you want to impress me with that, have it hold up a barbell with 2 plates a side."

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jaylad View Post
    Hi All,

I have been working out now for a while and I currently do the following main lifts.

Squats
    Bench
    Rows
    Chins
    Dips
    Deadlifts
    Military Press

I have been performing these exercises with a bench, squat rack and dip stand - which is obviously not exactly safe when i push myself.

So I have been looking around at power racks and think that this would be perfect for myself, as it incorprates all the lifts i wish to do safely into one piece of equipment.

Unfortunately i cannot post a link but if you type 'Powertec Power Rack' into google.co.uk it is the first result and is ?369.

Before I buy I was just wondering whether i could get confirmation of somebody probably more experienced than me in power racks whether this would be a worthwhile purchase for me.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...k_/5949_p.html

Nice rack, a lot of people here own them and you don't get too many complaints. However for the cost here this rack is similar price;

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...power-rack.php

Tried and tested both before I bought, and in my honest opinion the F430 is the better. So thats what I bought. Better fit and finish for the money, and larger.

Lets put it this way, the Powertec sells for ~$500 in the USA where they are both imported from, the F430 sells for ~$700 USD. In the UK for some reason you end up paying for the Powertec brand.
    You wouldn't be dissapointed with either, but the F430 is a step above, for the same price.
    Last edited by Essexlad; 06-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaylad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your advice everyone...

In particular Essexlad, thanks for your detailed comparrison. Are chin ups and dips able to be performed using the F430?? If so, that seems like the sensible purchase.

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for your advice everyone...

In particular Essexlad, thanks for your detailed comparrison. Are chin ups and dips able to be performed using the F430?? If so, that seems like the sensible purchase.
    Yes, but you might need to buy the handles for the dips which is a minimal charge anyways.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

The F430 looks great then, final question before i make the purchase...

I've got up to ?500 to spend, is it worth spending the extra or is the F430 more than suitable for a beginnier like myself.

Thanks again.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The F430 looks great then, final question before i make the purchase...

I've got up to ?500 to spend, is it worth spending the extra or is the F430 more than suitable for a beginnier like myself.

Thanks again.
    Here are the dip handles Hardkore mentioned;

And yeah, for a beginner this rack is fine, more rack than you'll ever need. Won't ever have to buy another one.

Although for 500 you could get the bodysolid commercial, which is excellent if you wanted to spend that much.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Here are the dip handles Hardkore mentioned;

And yeah, for a beginner this rack is fine, more rack than you'll ever need. Won't ever have to buy another one.

Although for 500 you could get the bodysolid commercial, which is excellent if you wanted to spend that much.

Thankyou Essexlad, the body-solid commercial looks excellent, as does the F430, I will be buying one of those based on your advice.

You've made this buying process very easy for me and your time is very much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else who also posted in this thread.

Keep up the good work.

Regards.

Sorry to bother you again.

About to purchase the F430, looking for a bench to go along with it, want to beable to perform incline, flat and decline bench press.

Would this bench be suitable to go along with the F430?
    And is 99.99 a reasonable price to pay for a bench?

Bodymax CF328 Deluxe Flat, Incline, Decline Utility Bench / SEBR2405

Thanks again.

Sorry to bother you again.

About to purchase the F430, looking for a bench to go along with it, want to beable to perform incline, flat and decline bench press.

Would this bench be suitable to go along with the F430?
    And is 99.99 a reasonable price to pay for a bench?

Bodymax CF328 Deluxe Flat, Incline, Decline Utility Bench / SEBR2405

Thanks again.
    No bother

It's not awful, Bodymax stuff isn't great though. It'll work fine with the F430. For 100 you won't get much better. A decent bench will set you back ~200 (adds up quick doesn't it? lol).

Here is a thread from last week on what benches I'd reccomend if you can manage 150-200:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117230991
    Last edited by Essexlad; 06-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.

[QUOTE=Essexlad;349689831]No bother :d

It's not awful, Bodymax stuff isn't great though. It'll work fine with the F430. For 100 you won't get much better. A decent bench will set you back ~200 (adds up quick doesn't it? lol).

Here is a thread from last week on what benches I'd reccomend if you can manage 150-200:

Ha, yeah it does all add up, well i'm going to be using the equipment for a long time so may aswel get the right things eh

Been looking at the links you posted and i think i'm going to go for either the
    Body-Solid - Flat/Incline/Decline Bench (Grey) from fitness superstore or the
    Bodycraft F602 Deluxe F/I/D Dumbell Bench / SEBR6209 from powerhouse

They both as good as eachother?

Ordering the rack from powerhouse so if you think the bodycraft is a good bench I think i'll order that alongside.

Regards.

[QUOTE=jaylad;349696771]
    No bother :d

Ha, yeah it does all add up, well i'm going to be using the equipment for a long time so may aswel get the right things eh

Been looking at the links you posted and i think i'm going to go for either the
    Body-Solid - Flat/Incline/Decline Bench (Grey) from fitness superstore or the
    Bodycraft F602 Deluxe F/I/D Dumbell Bench / SEBR6209 from powerhouse

They both as good as eachother?

Ordering the rack from powerhouse so if you think the bodycraft is a good bench I think i'll order that alongside.

Regards.
    My sentiments exactly.

Both great benches, the Bodysolid is very popular here. Tough to choose between them, the only thing I have against the Bodysolid is it's very high off the ground. Not great if you're sub ~6ft like me. So I'd get the slightly lower Bodycraft if it were me. If you're taller, well flip a coin lol !?!

[QUOTE=Essexlad;349751811]
    My sentiments exactly.

Both great benches, the Bodysolid is very popular here. Tough to choose between them, the only thing I have against the Bodysolid is it's very high off the ground. Not great if you're sub ~6ft like me. So I'd get the slightly lower Bodycraft if it were me. If you're taller, well flip a coin lol !?!
    It's a done deal then, thanks again for your advice

Going for the Bodycraft F430 Power Rack, with the dips attachment and the Bodycraft F602 bench.

Final question for anybody who knows, the chin up bar on the rack, is it permanantly at the very top or is it adjustable?

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    It is permanently there and an integral part of the racks stability.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...k_/5949_p.html

Nice rack, a lot of people here own them and you don't get too many complaints. However for the cost here this rack is similar price;

Tried and tested both before I bought, and in my honest opinion the F430 is the better. So thats what I bought. Better fit and finish for the money, and larger.

Lets put it this way, the Powertec sells for ~$500 in the USA where they are both imported from, the F430 sells for ~$700 USD. In the UK for some reason you end up paying for the Powertec brand.
    You wouldn't be dissapointed with either, but the F430 is a step above, for the same price.

its a damn nice rack and alltough its free delivery i m finding it hard to believe they will deliver it in denmark for free so i looked on a german homepage and found this....could u give any advice on one of the racks if it should be as close to the 430 as possible?

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/index.php...wer-racks.html

they have one for 245 euro but i dont think it has the dip and chin up thing goin on ??

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/product_i...y-edition.html
    Last edited by manONfire; 06-28-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: missing url

karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) karnavorr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by manONfire View Post
    its a damn nice rack and alltough its free delivery i m finding it hard to believe they will deliver it in denmark for free so i looked on a german homepage and found this....could u give any advice on one of the racks if it should be as close to the 430 as possible?

sp-bodysolid.de/index.php/cPath/1_6/category/power-racks.html[/url]

they have one for 245 euro but i dont think it has the dip and chin up thing goin on ??

sp-bodysolid.de/product_info.php/products_id/362/cPath/1_6/power-racks/ppr178x-powerline-power-rack,-grey-edition.html[/url]
    You can do chins on that Body-Solid rack.

As for dips you can just buy these
    newyorkbarbells.com/1020.html

I use them on my rack and they work great. I can also do neutral grip pullups with them if I set them in the highest holes of my rack which is just a bonus.

manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) manONfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by karnavorr View Post
    You can do chins on that Body-Solid rack.

As for dips you can just buy these
    newyorkbarbells.com/1020.html

I use them on my rack and they work great. I can also do neutral grip pullups with them if I set them in the highest holes of my rack which is just a bonus.
    ok thx i just thought i should have the chin bar like the models they looked at further up in the thread....do u just use the bar goin acrosse the cage for ur chin ups ?

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/index.php...wer-racks.html

If you read the small print those sites are free mainland UK delivery only. To Denmark I wouldn't want to think about the cost.

The powerline is a great starter rack in my opinion, and chins are possible, but I haven't seen a stock dip attachment for it. The NYBB one above will be ridiculous to ship to Europe, the only distributor I've ever seen in the UK/Europe doesn't stock them.

ok thx i just thought i should have the chin bar like the models they looked at further up in the thread....do u just use the bar goin acrosse the cage for ur chin ups ?
    Yeah thats the one. Great unless you are quite tall, then it's sometimes not really tall enough.

If you read the small print those sites are free mainland UK delivery only. To Denmark I wouldn't want to think about the cost.

The powerline is a great starter rack in my opinion, and chins are possible, but I haven't seen a stock dip attachment for it. The NYBB one above will be ridiculous to ship to Europe, the only distributor I've ever seen in the UK/Europe doesn't stock them.
    thats my thought exactly with the shipping but i can get the racks from germany shipped almost to my door as i live close to the german boarder.....but i really would like to have the dip with on the rack....and again sending it from US to denamrk wouldn't be good .......i dont know the cage's i only have bench at the moment so its hard for me too see what they do and dont .....thx for helping out

anyone can tell me what im paying the 30 euro ekstra for on the one rack

245 euro

275 euro

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/product_i...zugstange.html

cant tell the differnce and its not the lattower....

anyone can tell me what im paying the 30 euro ekstra for on the one rack

245 euro

275 euro

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/product_i...zugstange.html

cant tell the differnce and its not the lattower....
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong; PPR-200 is the newer model of the PPR-178 I think, looks like the 200 has closer hole spacing, which is nice, but not a lot of difference otherwise.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; PPR-200 is the newer model of the PPR-178 I think, looks like the 200 has closer hole spacing, which is nice, but not a lot of difference otherwise.
    ok thx a lot............so the rack for 275 euro would do for a novice even though it doesn't look all as good as the 2 bench's at the begining of the thread...... or do you think i will need a new one in a year or two maybe ? ( not that im goin pro or anything

and for a bench maybe this one

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/product_i...products_id/28

ok thx a lot............so the rack for 275 euro would do for a novice even though it doesn't look all as good as the 2 bench's at the begining of the thread...... or do you think i will need a new one in a year or two maybe ? ( not that im goin pro or anything

and for a bench maybe this one

http://www.sp-bodysolid.de/product_i...products_id/28
    Depends on how you're training, and how fast you progress. Once your squats etc start getting big, a sturdier rack is always nice.

And that bench is a good one. It's the Bodysolid the OP above was considering.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Don't forget, if you can't get dip attachments, you can always get another bar and use both inside the cage on the safeties to dip. Plus, it never hurts to have an extra barbell on hand.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) honx99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you will be doing fine with the ppr200 for 275 EUR, however i'd probably pay the 100 EUR more and get the gpr378 instead for 379

http://www.simpleproducts.de/product...zugstange.html

MUCH nicer rack, this one will last you a lifetime

if you want to get something close to the bodycraft f430 posted before on this thread (but even more expensive than the gpr378), you can also buy the lamar/stfitness ls536 for 499 EUR + dip attachment for 59 EUR

http://www.simpleproducts.de/product...zugstange.html

Update!

My equipment has come and it is all set up - very happy with it so once again thankyou for all your help. However I have come across an issue, the barbell i have currently is only 6ft and does not fit the rack!

Any advice on where to get a decent 7ft bar that isnt going to break the bank??

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The weights I have are 1" diameter??
    Last edited by jaylad; 07-05-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vrait has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Don't forget, if you can't get dip attachments, you can always get another bar and use both inside the cage on the safeties to dip. Plus, it never hurts to have an extra barbell on hand.
    How much can a normal china one hold up to? I don't want to break my bars haha.

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Vrait View Post
    How much can a normal china one hold up to? I don't want to break my bars haha.
    At 145lb you're far from breaking your bar there.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1