lapetitemort has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

LaPetite's Journey to muscle... hopefully

Just like many of you, I think that journaling in a public forum will hold me more accountable. In the past I have had a notebook that I would try and log my daily meals with calories, protein and fat all accounted for. I even would log my workouts. But then, after a week or so, I would just drift away from it. At this point in my life, I have some new beginnings. I begin school again this Monday. I have a sedentary, but very stressful job, which is why I am going back to school. As long as I pass these summer classes, I get entrance into a respiratory therapy program in August. Both schools are within 4 and 5 miles from my home. I plan to do lots of walking and biking in the future, working up to the full round trip distances, so I would like to build up my endurance for that. I guess, long story short, is I want my health and body to have some new beginnings as well. When I was younger, I remember watching bodybuilding on tv with my dad. I was so fascinated by the women competitors. Corey Everson was my favorite. In high school, I began lifting weights. Afterward, life got in the way and I drifted away from it all. I know, just excuses upon excuses.

I would love to lose the jiggling body fat and gain visible muscle. There is so much information about cutting, meal plans, fat loss, building muscle, that I become completely overwhelmed. I hope to learn from your journals and have you tweak what you see can be improved in what I am doing. It seems that I always start, begin to see a little bit of results and, for some reason, just sabotage myself by going completely off plan. I don't want to be "skinny", I want to be lean where I should be and have great muscle definition, you know?

I am 36 years old
    5'1"
    113.5lbs
    25.5% body fat (according to my digital calipers)

I have been trying to clean up my diet. Here's a semi-sample of what I have been eating.

1. 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 diced avocado, black coffee, 16oz water

2. 2 cups salad greens, 1/4 cup diced cucumber, 1 teaspoon diced jalapeno, 1 teaspoon diced onion, 1 tablespoon organic lowfat plain yogurt, 1/4 cup black beans, 4 bite sized tortilla chips, 16 oz water

3. 1 medium apple, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

4. 6oz chicken breast, grilled, 1/2 brown rice, 1 cup broccoli or cauliflower, 1 cup mixed roasted veggies, 16 oz water

I cheat a lot though in the evenings, a lot. And I tend to sneak bad things. Like if no one sees it, it didn't happen. I really need to end that. Perhaps I am not getting everything that I need during the day and I'm caving at night? I think that I am lacking enough protein. Isn't it grams of protein should equal body weight?

Of course, I have not had a set schedule of exercise. I have barbells and a curl bar and weight plates, tons of dvds, resistance bands, dumbbells (the barbie kind up to 10lbs). I have a gym membership that I never use. =(

Tomorrow, I will update with a log of what I ate and a workout. Maybe then, you guys could help me along by tweaking and pointing out what you change and what I am doing wrong? It is all a huge learning process for me and any help is so appreciated! I am really feeling clueless right now.

6/1

I did not get in as many calories as I would have like to today. It was one of those very busy days, and I had to do quick grab meals. I kept track in a notebook & on fitday.com. Imagine my surprise when I remembered my user name and password from three years ago!

I only fit in the day 1 of Jillian Michaels' Shred dvd as a workout today. I had wanted to at least get some sets of arms or something, but that didn't happen.

1. "Smoothie" - 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1/2 banana, 4 strawberries + water
    20 oz black coffee
    2. 1 mini whole wheat bagel (100 cal.) with 1 tsp spicy mustard & 2 oz. sliced turkey
    3. 2 oz sliced turkey wrapped around 6 roasted asparagus spears (2 spears in each slice)
    4. 1 boiled egg, 4 roasted asparagus spears
    5. 10 unsalted almonds
    6. 1 cup steamed vegetables (cauliflower, zuchinni, snap peas, peppers, carrots), 1/2 cup long grain brown rice, 3/4 cup black beans (made from scratch with just veggies, herbs and spices), 4 oz grilled pork tenderloin

Totals = 1159 calories, 108.1 grams protein, 28.7 grams fat
    Up to 60oz of water so far today.

lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    diet looks good but you may want to bulk it here and there! if you do, maybe you'll be less likely to cheat at night. I cheated at night forever and ever! I only recently stopped 5 out of 7 nights a week or so. but it seems like you're off to a great start! keep positive! it truly makes a difference!
    You don't lose weight to get healthy. You get healthy to lose weight.

6/2

Thanks lilli_julia! Any food suggestions on how to bulk it up?

This is for yesterday because we didn't get in until late.

Tricep Dips 2x10
    Overhead Dumbbell extension 2x10 with 5lb dumbbells
    Tri. Kickback 2x10 with 5lb dumbbells (each arm)
    Hammer Curls 2x10 with 5lb dumbells
    Shoulder Press 2x10 with 5lb dumbells

15 min. cardio

(I am sore today)

Food

1. 2 boiled egg whites, 5 strawberries, black coffee
    2. 3 cups greens, 1/2 plum tomato, 1/4 cup diced cucumber, 1/4 black beans, 4 bite-sized tortilla chips, 1/4 cup shredded cheese
    3. small apple, 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    4. 10 raw unsalted almonds

This was a total of 579 calories, 27.4g fat & 29.3 protein

Then we stopped at a new Asian place
    1 butterflied shrimp
    1 cheese wonton
    1 drummette
    about 1/4 cup of the steamed rice, 1 cup jalapeno shrimp with peppers, mushrooms and veggies

It was so good, but I felt guilty because I should have gotten the steamed shrimp and broccolli and not had the extras. =(

lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10) lilly_julia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    don't feel guilty, it looks like you needed those calories! although its best to eat most of your calories earliest in the day, and then slowly taper them throughout.. like a piece of toast with your breakfast, a little dab of peanut butter somewhere, etc!

6/4

I'm still having trouble trying to make my meals work and tapering them down during the day. I'm working on it.
    I did walk to the grocery and back today, only about 2 miles, but it's added activity. I am trying to make walking or biking (instead of driving) part of my mode of transportation.

Workout included:

side lunges 2x10 (using two 5 lb dumbbells)
    dumbbell deadlifts 2x10 (using two 5lb dumbbells)
    calf raises 2x10 (using two 5lb dumbbells)
    walking lunges 3x10 (using two 5lb dumbbells)

The store had a great sale, especially on 97/3 ground turkey and cabbage. So, I took the about 2lbs of cabbage and cooked it with 1lb of ground turkey with some onion, celery and garlic with just about 1/4teaspoon of salt and lots of black pepper. It really turned out pretty good!

Meals

1. 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 plum tomato, 1 kiwi, black coffee
    2. cabbage with ground turkey
    3. cabbage with ground turkey - it was really tasty, so I had it twice
    4. 10 almonds
    5. 6oz chicken breast on whole wheat bun with 1 sliced smoked provolone, lettuce, tomato & mustard with baked potato wedges

that sounds really good! cabbage is so versatile.

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi. I love reading through all the journals in the evening. Yours caught my eye, since our stats are similar. I think you should try to get your calories a bit higher. With my stats, my maintenance calories are 1650. You will probably have better results if you up your calories a bit and try to do more heavy weight exercises as much as you can. In order to eat enough calories, I split my meals into 7 or 8 snack size meals (each meal is 200-300 calories). You should try to include protein, complex carbs and a fat with each meal. Your diet looks pretty good though. You may want to add some oatmeal to your breakfast. I usually have 1 whole egg, 5oz egg whites, 1/4c oats (measured dry) and 20 blueberries. FF cottage cheese is a good snack too. I often have some before bed, since it contains slow digesting protein. Good luck in your journey!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

Thanks! I will definitely add the oatmeal, just bought a huge container of it. I just bought some low fat cottage cheese and some low fat plain yogurt too. I'm going to make the Eat Clean Oatmeal Applesauce muffins. Maybe having those on hand will help with adding it to a snack or something? Thanks for all of the advice. With all of the information available, I get completely overwhelmed with what I should add, not add, do, not do. Next week I'll add some more weight to my exercises too. I want to add more exercises each week too, maybe work up to longer, harder workouts. I have been sore the next day after a workout. The good kind of sore though, hurts but not so much that I can't move. =)

6/8

Darn me, not posting over the weekend. I was not the best camper. I did keep my food pretty clean; but I indulged in some alcohol. I mean, we were at roller derby?! I did cut it way back though from what I normally would have consumed in the past.

So for a workout today, I increased my plates on my dumbbells. Whoa, made my reps much harder. I am still incredibly weak in my arms and upper body.

20 min. cardio
    pushups 2x5
    overhead dumbbell extension 2x10
    dumbbell lateral raise 2x3 (7.5lb dumbbells)
    dumbbell bicep curls 2x8 (7.5lb dumbbells)
    seated shoulder press 2x8 (7.5lb dumbbells)

Meals - so far today

1. 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/4 cup raspberries, coffee
    2. 1 egg, 1 tomato sliced
    3. cabbage & ground turkey (I'm addicted - have to make a grocery run)

I still have 3 more mini-meals - not sure what I will have yet. I did not plan ahead today, and have to hit the store! Getting ready to have a snack of apple and natural peanut butter.

I have not weighed myself or taken measurements in about two weeks. I think, though, that I will wait another week to see what happens with that.

6/9

Yesterday was a little hectic, so my workout was just cardio.

I was extremely hungry yesterday. I think the running around and getting my husband off for his trip, plus work and class, had me ravenous.

I did have

1. 2 eggs, 1/4 raspberries, 1 protein pancake (had some leftover from the day before & shared with the hubby)
    2. slice whole wheat toast with natural peanut butter
    3. buddha's delight, basically about 2 cups veggies, tofu in a sauce with 1 cup steamed rice
    4. salad with 2 1/2 cups greens, 1 chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno, 1/3 cup black beans, 1 tbsp organic lowfat yogurt
    5. whole wheat tortilla, 1 tbsp organic lowfat yogurt, 1/3 cup black beans, 1 boca burger

I kind of want to take a picture of my arms. They are still pitifully tiny, but I am starting to see the muscles. That makes me extremely happy, giddy even. I still have such a long way to go, but at least I am seeing signs of progress.

6/11

See this is what happens when I don't write things down in my handy-dandy notebook.
    I don't remember everything that I ate, though I do remember several cups of hot tea.

1. 2 eggs mixed with 1/4 black beans
    2. 1/2 organic lowfat yogurt with 1/2 cup strawberries
    for the life of me I cannot remember what was had in between, I think I had a handful of almonds
    Dinner
    1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup steamed mixed vegetables, 15 steamed shrimp mixed with a tablespoon of yogurt, splash of hot sauce and a sprinkle of Tony's.

Today so far was breakfast:

1. hash = 1/2 sweet potato diced, jalapeno, onion, handful of peas I shucked from my garden, 2 Morning Star sausage links (chopped), sauteed in a cast iron skillet with some pam-type spray

I am going to do a leg workout today too. I think it will be the same as I posted the last time but with heavier weights. I felt that workout for almost three days afterwards. I am going to hit my arms today as well since I missed yesterday.

I have my handy-dandy notebook to record everything today so that I can post without forgetting later too.

pics

I decided to attach 2 photos of my arms. They are puny now, but just beginning to get a little bicep. Hopefully, as I continue and update, I will be able to see the progress that I will be making. Come on big guns! Maybe then I can wear my pink "Somebody Call the Vet because These Puppies are Sick" and show it!
    Attached Images

6/13

I am slightly discouraged because there has been no change on the scale. I know that should not be the only factor because I am definitely seeing physical changes and my clothes are fitting looser. I think that I may just lock the scale away for a few weeks. I will begin increasing my cardio this week as well. Afterall, I have only been doing 20 minutes. I am going to look up some new exercises to try out too. I think I will change up my weight routine every 4 weeks.

my scale and your scale must be in cahoots. Or they are satan's servants sent to torture as and make us doubt ourselves!

arms look great! and definitely go by the mirror, measurements, and clothes fitting before you give a **** what the scale is saying. Unless you are drastically over or under weight, it doesn't tell you anything you need to know!

6/18

Whoa, those were a few bad days of really bad nutrition. I really screwed that up, no self-control. I have to take full responsibility for my actions. No one forced me to eat cheese fries and chug back a beer. No one forced those delicious wings down my throat. I chose to put my goals on the wayside and partake of the badness. I have to figure out ways to not cave, keep the goal in site. Back with a plan today.
    Exercise was decent.

A couple of my friends want to do a in group "biggest loser" competition - three have had babies. I told them that I would go in, but I wasn't really trying to lose that much but gain and get a body of a fitness competitor. I think the support of each other will be good for me though as I have no one around me to go through this journey with. My husband has alloted gym time at his work and they have a gym. I have gotten him to eat more clean and actually he is starting to notice the difference between what we eat at home and the meals we get out. But I thinking having the support of my girlfriends will be good, even if they are over 1300 miles away.

So, on to the goal in site, lose body fat, gain muscle.

6/22

Today my friends and I started our little group challenge. Of course, my girly business is starting and I'm bloated on our first day when we do our weigh in & measurements. We're all putting something in for a winner's gift basket for the end. =)
    114lbs
    Bust 35.5"
    Waist 29"
    Hips 37"
    Height 5'1"

Suckage. I am cutting out alcohol entirely, not even on the weekends for our Sunday brunch, for the next 4 weeks. I think this little friendly challenge is just what I need to keep myself going strong and supported.

6/29

It's going along well. I had a little knee issue so I just have to watch high impact pounding stuff, like when doing plyometrics, jumping rope and running. But other than that, my diet has been really good, and strength training is chugging along. I hope to see some more results, measurement-wise, come the end of this week. =)