soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question If you work quads one day, and hams the other...

...what specific exercises do you do each day? I want to do this, but I've found, in the past, that it takes me several days to recover from my leg workouts, and I usually feel that unless I am doing isolation exercises, the compounds effect my entire leg/glute area and I feel it for days.

Here is a typical once-weekly "leg day" for me:

BB [atg] squats: 4 x 10
    Walking lunges: 3 x 12 w/ pulse; 12 w/out pulse = 24
    SLDL: 4 x 12
    Reverse lunges: 3 x 12
    Lying ham curl: 3 x 10
    Standing calf raise: 3 x 12

I substitute 1-leg deads w/ med ball, split squats, kneeling ham curl, seated calf raise, etc., when I want to mix things up.

Since quads, hams & glutes come into play on most compound movements, I'm wondering how you split them up as to quad/ham days. Or do you do them both days?

Am I making any sense?
    Live life, lift heavy and be happy..Oh! And BSavage too!
    ~Angimal

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by soleuvanathlete View Post
    ...what specific exercises do you do each day? I want to do this, but I've found, in the past, that it takes me several days to recover from my leg workouts, and I usually feel that unless I am doing isolation exercises, the compounds effect my entire leg/glute area and I feel it for days.

Here is a typical once-weekly "leg day" for me:

BB [atg] squats: 4 x 10
    Walking lunges: 3 x 12 w/ pulse; 12 w/out pulse = 24
    SLDL: 4 x 12
    Reverse lunges: 3 x 12
    Lying ham curl: 3 x 10
    Standing calf raise: 3 x 12

I substitute 1-leg deads w/ med ball, split squats, kneeling ham curl, seated calf raise, etc., when I want to mix things up.

Since quads, hams & glutes come into play on most compound movements, I'm wondering how you split them up as to quad/ham days. Or do you do them both days?

Am I making any sense?
    So far as compounds go, I do squats, hack squats, low narrow leg press and anything where the emphasis is more on quads on quad day and do things like reverse hacks, deadlifts and glute/ham presses (leg press with legs high on platform) on hammie day. With compounds, you won't be able to completely take one muscle group out but you can definitely minimize it's involvement.

Slowly getting bigger!! dkemano42's Avatar
    dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000) dkemano42 is just really nice. (+1000)
    [QUOTE=soleuvanathlete;293530631

Am I making any sense? [/QUOTE]

Hey,

I always work the quads and hams the same day. These muscles need a little more time to recover, and its hard to do that when you split it up. I do:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls

Then 2 exercise for calves. I do 4 to 6 sets of each from 6 to 15 reps. Then there are 4 days before I work my legs again.

DK
    "After all is said and done, a lot more will have been said than done will have been done!"

soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) soleuvanathlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dkemano42 View Post
    Hey,

I always work the quads and hams the same day. These muscles need a little more time to recover, and its hard to do that when you split it up. I do:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls

Then 2 exercise for calves. I do 4 to 6 sets of each from 6 to 15 reps. Then there are 4 days before I work my legs again.

DK
    I hear ya, DK. Thanks for your reply. However, I currently want to try splitting 'em up. My legs are ready to be "carved up" and I want to spend more time focusing on their development (so I'm going to TRY doing quads one day and hams the other).
    ~Angimal

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    So far as compounds go, I do squats, hack squats, low narrow leg press and anything where the emphasis is more on quads on quad day and do things like reverse hacks, deadlifts and glute/ham presses (leg press with legs high on platform) on hammie day. With compounds, you won't be able to completely take one muscle group out but you can definitely minimize it's involvement.
    This is similar to what I did. With calves coming in on ham/glute day. I actually felt that my hams and glutes did better like this as I had more energy to hit them on their own day than I did doing them right after quads. But you're right, you've got to feel your legs out to see if there is enough recovery time. If you're just hitting quads 1x a week and hams 1x a week you should be fine.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I always train quads/hams on the same day. My exercises change weekly so I'm not much help sorry.

Thanks, ladies, for your replies. You've helped.

Kimm, You're NEVER any help!
    ~Angimal

sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000) sallythatgirl is just really nice. (+1000)

another thought

Maybe do one real heavy day low volume4-6 and then a lighter day mid volume10-12...then you wouldn't have to worry about the split so much. I mean when you think about it splitting the legs into parts is rather hard.... You could focus on a quad 'dominate' day and a glute/ham 'dominate' day though. I think you can yield good results by mixing volumes and wts. Just my .2
    Body built on carbs, dairy and common sense.

beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sallythatgirl View Post
    Maybe do one real heavy day low volume4-6 and then a lighter day mid volume10-12...then you wouldn't have to worry about the split so much. I mean when you think about it splitting the legs into parts is rather hard.... You could focus on a quad 'dominate' day and a glute/ham 'dominate' day though. I think you can yield good results by mixing volumes and wts. Just my .2
    good idea...
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hmotb555 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I work my legs twice a week and I agree like someone else said that you could just find exercises that focus more on one group than the other or go lighter one day and heavier the next. When i really want to focus on one part of the leg I only do 1 exercise that is compound and the other 3 exercises I do will be isolation exercises
    Push it to the limit!!!!

Favorite saying - GO GET IT!

I am a "beastess" - thanks Brian!!!

12-11-10 first powerlifting meet
    314.16/187/341 - 843 lbs total raw!

3-26-11 USPA state championship
    314.16/198.7/352 - 865lbs total raw - best female raw lifter (Open division)

On to nationals!!!

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a leg & arm "push" day and a leg & arm "pull" day.

Push day = squats, lunges, calf raises, extensions
    Pull day = SLDL's, hyperextensions, hamstring curls

IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always work legs 2 to 3 times a week, depending on the training I am doing. If I am doing a split, I work them twice. If I am doing a full body, I work them 3 times a week.

When I work twice a week I do quads/claves 1 day and hams/glutes the other. Here's the exercises I pick from:

Hams/glutes:
    SLDL
    Leg Press w/Feet high on platform
    Reverse Lunges
    Seated Hamstring Curls
    Lying Hamstring Curls
    Cable Kick Backs
    Butt Blaster Machine

Quads/Calves:
    Oly Bar Squats
    1 Legged Squats w/DBs
    Split Squats w/Oly bar
    Walking Lunges
    Hack Squats
    Standing Calf Machine
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill

Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174190821&referrerid=1173311

sally, hmot, tiffany and Ironcamp, I truly appreciate your responses and LOVE some of the things you've suggested. I have lots of options now!
    ~Angimal