tommio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squat alternative for someone with back injury

i messed up my lower back when about 8 years ago. I still have back pains and back stiffness here and there.

i have hard time working out my lower back or doing anything that puts too much pressure on my lower back. examples dead lifts and squats.

what are good alternatives that are easier on the back ?

dtelliott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would think leg presses? Just letting you know I feel for you...I took a spill rock climbing and had a discectomy for a bulging disc about 3 months ago. Get to start back in June.

Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ochman44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Leg press you can injure yourself as well on when you go all the way down and your butt rises off the seat it puts undue stress on your lumbar area. If I were you I'd stick with non spinal loaded exercises like single leg stuff like lunges, split squats, step ups, glute ham raises. You could try front squats as well if you could get the form down they tend to be a lot more low back friendly than back squats due to your upright posture when performing them.

I will bend the red nail. mydamnself's Avatar
    mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Properly performed kettlebell swings. I used to have a jacked up lower back and those fixed them. Now I have a weird chunk of muscle back there and my lower back is strong as hell.
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    5 minute 32 kilo kettlebell snatch test- 68 reps.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    20 60D nails and 10 Gr2 bolts bent in 20 minutes.
    ---
    I don't haunt this forum. If you say something and I don't reply, I'm not here. If it's important, PM me.

www.averagetoelite.com

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    light squats? front squats?
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aldinton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hack squats may be a good exercise because your back is supported, but I think it's still best not to overdo it.
    ...Just trying to put some meat on my bones...

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you go to the doctor and get it checked out?
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

jerrymaker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i also have lower back trouble and i got the safety squat bar, and this bar does not need to be supported by your hands at all and this made all the difference in the world. see if your gym has one and try it.

tommio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MISSINGLINK View Post
    Did you go to the doctor and get it checked out?
    no i didn't. probably the worst idea ever. the injury was from over 7 years ago. i woke up this morning with a stiff back. sucks. right now im unemployed and well and i am uninsured. soon as i get some money saved up, i plan on going to the doctors and seeing a chiropractor.

i mean... its a minor problem now. it's stiff for a few a lil bit when i first wake up. i usually stretch and have to move around a lil bit before the stiffness goes away. but i know it will cause problems when i am older (in my 40s probably). so i'm going to take the precaution now to strengthen and seek help (when i can afford it).
    Last edited by tommio; 05-29-2008 at 08:45 AM.

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go Here

http://www.mckenziemdt.org/

Get their back book

I know 4 people that fixed their problems using the exercises in it
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers