muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need calf exercises without bending foot due to injury?

I have an old injury on my 3rd (middle) metatarsal bone on my foot. Basically there is a hole and the bone is soft. I asked my foot Dr. if I will need surgery one day, he said perhaps. I wear arch supports that help out with this. With normal every day activity my feet are fine.

My problem is calf development. Whenever I work out on my calfs or go cross country skiing (with my supports), the area of the bone swells and causes discomfort.

What I am looking is to development my calfs, without bending my feet to prevent adding more injury to my foot. Does anyone know of some good calf exercises that would work for me?

I need a lot of focus on my calves so any good exercise that would isolate the calfs would be good.

Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There really isn't, since the main action of the calves are plantarflexion, which you can't do. Stability work on an uneven surface would be better than nothing.

muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) muskiediver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What about...

Thanks for your response.

I was thinking of creating a flat rectangular board flat board, on one end near my toes would be a half of a circle of wood attached to and spanning across the bottom horizontally. There would be rests on the top so my feet would not slide. Then I could put this under a calf machine and do my calf raises.

Do you think this would help me in my situation?

Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10) Reactive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hard to say. Calves are over rated... cover them up with socks.

You won't make much appreciable gains without plantarflexion as an exercise however.

What about a board on barbells?

I could cut a round slit so they fit over the barbells?

Time to make a change! Mighty Kev's Avatar
    Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mighty Kev is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    do weighted seated calf raises with steel toed boots on, your foot doesn't need to bend in this motion

Dang... I thought you meant no bending at the ankle for some reason. You'll still get some strain on the foot with calf raises.

More details.

If your refering to this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...ted+Calf+Raise

Notice how the tow bends? That is were my pain comes in. I can do them, it's afterwards I notice the swelling. It goes away after a two or three days depending on how good I work out. What I want to do is avoid the bend on my foot. My ankle is fine and can bend all day long. And other ideas?

Another idea

The Smith Machine Reverse Calf Raises may be helpful:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...se+Calf+Raises

But I still need a replacement for the developing the gastrocnemius. Any thoughts?

I tried the The Smith Machine Reverse Calf Raises

And they seem to work. But I still need to do my calves. Anyone else have some suggestions?

LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyZnX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by muskiediver View Post
    And they seem to work. But I still need to do my calves. Anyone else have some suggestions?
    I am in the same search that you are.
    I cant put preasure on my big toe. I think it has something to do with a tendon rip. It has been over a yearnow, and im tired of waithing for something to heal when it wont even budge.
    I also need calf exercises that dont require using toes. grrrrrr....

Good luCK.
    I know this thread is kinda old. maybe you found something.

Use fly weight

Using a fly weight machine you can face the weights, and pull the fly and flex your calf muscle. That is the best one I have heard so far.

ximexime is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Calf exercise without bending toes

Originally Posted by muskiediver View Post
    Using a fly weight machine you can face the weights, and pull the fly and flex your calf muscle. That is the best one I have heard so far.

Hi!! I know it's been years since this post. But after a exhausted research I couldn't find anything regarding this topic. Can you please tell what machine you are talking about. I don't find any "fly weight machine" that would work with calves when I look online. if you have a picture of how you do this exercise, it will be super helpful.
    Thank you!!!!!!!!