Skinnyguy4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Am I just making excuses here???

I signed up to the gym 5 months ago. My plan was to consistently go 3 times per week.

So I should've done 60 sessions by now, but I've only actually done about 40 sessions.

Some reasons for skipping the gym:
    1) I had a cold and took 1.5 weeks off.
    2) I had food poisoning and took 1.5 weeks off.
    3) I had a sore back from deadlifting and took 1 week off.
    4) I was tired a few times from having <6 hours sleep.
    5) I knew in advance that I was going to get less sleep that night, so I skipped the gym because I thought my muscles won't have time to recover properly afterwards.
    6) I had some birthday parties to attend and thought if I'm going to be drinking tonight, I shouldn't gym because alcohol will stop my muscles from recovering.

Are these just excuses? Or are they valid reasons for skipping the gym?

Registered User ItsUncleMcNasty's Avatar
    ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ItsUncleMcNasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    dont worry about it. you did 40 sessions, congratulations. sometimes rest is needed to make it in the long term. just dont stop for more than 1.5 weeks

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Unfortunately, that's a part of life sometimes, and it can stop even the hell-bent from training. They're not excuses, but valid reasons for skipping the gym (you don't want to get anyone else sick!). I've recently had to take time off due to walking pneumonia, as much as I hated doing that or feeling like I could push through anyway...but when you're sick with a virus or sleep deprivation, the smart thing to do, obviously, is just let your body rest and recover! Don't beat yourself up! It sounds like your immune system is doing a decent job of that right now!

Could you try some light maintenance DB work at home? You'll feel better soon, don't worry. Just try to get at least 7 hours of restorative sleep every night, and stay hydrated!!

BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigTallandLost will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Only you can honestly answer if it’s excuses. Yes we all need rest and have days we pull back. However my gut says if your posting this question on a forum you know the answer and believe yourself you are making some excuses. No one can tell you how you feel, however it does seem each time you are take the exact amount of time off. I’d say push yourself. If your tired take a break but make up for it the next gym day and make yourself go.

NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000) NuubLifter2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Skinnyguy4 View Post
    I signed up to the gym 5 months ago. My plan was to consistently go 3 times per week.

So I should've done 60 sessions by now, but I've only actually done about 40 sessions.

Some reasons for skipping the gym:
    1) I had a cold and took 1.5 weeks off.
    2) I had food poisoning and took 1.5 weeks off.
    3) I had a sore back from deadlifting and took 1 week off.
    4) I was tired a few times from having <6 hours sleep.
    5) I knew in advance that I was going to get less sleep that night, so I skipped the gym because I thought my muscles won't have time to recover properly afterwards.
    6) I had some birthday parties to attend and thought if I'm going to be drinking tonight, I shouldn't gym because alcohol will stop my muscles from recovering.

Are these just excuses? Or are they valid reasons for skipping the gym?
    Ok these are some BROfacts for you but they are technically still facts.....

You signed up 5 months ago, and did 40 sessions...……..
    Most people signup go there 5 times the first week 2 timmes the second week, and then just pay monthly to the gym owner...…….
    Then they start over.
    Well done for your first 5 months...….and remember everybody got a plan until they get hit - Mike Tyson

you missed a few but dude, don't go and train if you have a cold, it can escalate quickly

oh, if you got a sore back from deadlift, instead of free weights you can use machines instead, high reps 12-15 so you don't activate your back......