timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Dealing with Obese Clients

how do you guys deal with obese clients

They seem to be the most difficult to deal with.
    Everything always hurts, feet, ankles, knees, and back due to their weight. They have the most excuses, they flake alot because of the pain. Lots of cancellations, and very emotional. As long as there is obesity, we will always be in demand, but they are so difficult to deal with. Their laziness got them to their current weight, and it's very hard to get them to change their eating habits and get them moving around, because they are so use to being lazy. They workout,a nd complain because it's hard and everything starts hurting, but no pain no gain. They then go to mcdonalds when they are done and blow the workout

I just got back from rite-aide, and i just busted my current client walking into mcd's, after her workout. No wonder she aint lost a lb in 4 weeks

I will bend the red nail. mydamnself's Avatar
    mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to have a pretty poor attitude about this type of client. If you're putting off this much negative energy, believe me, they're picking it up even if you think you're not overtly doing anything to communicate it.
    A big reason these people are always hurting is that they are in pain due to restricted range of motion, joint problems from carrying so much weight, etc. 'No pain no gain' does not apply to this segment of the population.
    Yes, some got into this spot due to a lazy lifestyle, but for many it really does sneak up on them. I know a woman who was athletic all her life, had kids, worked all the time, etc. She got up to 180 and realized she needed to do something, but before she knew it she was up to 250 lbs! She found the right tools to train with and got back down to 115 lbs.
    A big aspect of weight loss is psychological, and that needs to be attended to as well. When you are that heavy it feels like you will never lose the weight.
    You have to be strict with them as well, but ensure that they understand you're looking out for their best interests. This is exactly how I would handle the McD's situation. "Ah, I see you're in McDonalds. Cool. Look, I don't want to waste either of our time, and I also don't want you to waste the money you're paying me. Some slip ups are going to happen, but this is a suicide run. If this happens again I believe it will be in both of our best interests to discontinue training."
    I've run into a lot of trainers who have a deep seeded hatred of overweight people, and it always shows. Don't be that guy.
    Also, have them remove their shoes during training. Cushy running shoes disrupt your ability to balance and properly distribute weight. In application to an overweight person this effect is greatly magnified. I had a client whose knees were always killing her. When we went shoeless the pain disappeared almost overnight. The running shoes were disrupting her knee stability.
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    5 minute 32 kilo kettlebell snatch test- 68 reps.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    20 60D nails and 10 Gr2 bolts bent in 20 minutes.
    ---
    I don't haunt this forum. If you say something and I don't reply, I'm not here. If it's important, PM me.

www.averagetoelite.com

in the repair shop Commonpremier21's Avatar
    Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    obese clients are definitely tough cases. In my health club/gym, we have a complete program that overlooks their training, diet, psychological aspects, physicians to analyze their progress, and support groups to motivate and discuss problems. The main thing in the beginning stages with these clients is support, trust, and comfort level overall. I believe they require alot more attention than your regular clients. Depending on how many times a week you meet with them, it's important to send reminders through either e-mails or phone calls, or just simply asking how they are feeling or if they got their aerobics in on their offdays. These things are very important factors in their likiness for success, and for you, the likliness of them staying with you to accomplish their goals.

Strength training is also tricky in the beginning stages. I would stick to the MOST basic exercises, and most likely machines. No matter how easy you think a dumbbell bench press is, they will not feel comfortable, and their confidence level would not be so high when they first struggle getting the correct form down. Machines are also easier for you to control their range of motion and positioning, thus limiting their pains and aches. Through strength gains from doing the machines, plus the weight they would have lost after the initial weeks, they'll be much better off after that to start free weight/band/bodyweight training.
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM CPT
    NASM CPT
    BS Kinesiology

mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mydamnself has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Commonpremier21 View Post
    obese clients are definitely tough cases. In my health club/gym, we have a complete program that overlooks their training, diet, psychological aspects, physicians to analyze their progress, and support groups to motivate and discuss problems. The main thing in the beginning stages with these clients is support, trust, and comfort level overall. I believe they require alot more attention than your regular clients. Depending on how many times a week you meet with them, it's important to send reminders through either e-mails or phone calls, or just simply asking how they are feeling or if they got their aerobics in on their offdays. These things are very important factors in their likiness for success, and for you, the likliness of them staying with you to accomplish their goals.

Strength training is also tricky in the beginning stages. I would stick to the MOST basic exercises, and most likely machines. No matter how easy you think a dumbbell bench press is, they will not feel comfortable, and their confidence level would not be so high when they first struggle getting the correct form down. Machines are also easier for you to control their range of motion and positioning, thus limiting their pains and aches. Through strength gains from doing the machines, plus the weight they would have lost after the initial weeks, they'll be much better off after that to start free weight/band/bodyweight training.
    Just my opinion, but I would steer clear of machines. It is teaching bad habits and most often enhancing restricted range of motion. I saw a trainer's client separate her shoulder using a machine. In the beginning just bodyweight, bands, resistance tubing, etc. is enough. There's no reason to load a very deconditioned person with weight, it's asking for trouble.
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    ---
    I don't haunt this forum. If you say something and I don't reply, I'm not here. If it's important, PM me.

www.averagetoelite.com

in the repair shop Commonpremier21's Avatar
    Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Commonpremier21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mydamnself View Post
    Just my opinion, but I would steer clear of machines. It is teaching bad habits and most often enhancing restricted range of motion. I saw a trainer's client separate her shoulder using a machine. In the beginning just bodyweight, bands, resistance tubing, etc. is enough. There's no reason to load a very deconditioned person with weight, it's asking for trouble.
    well we're not talking about maxing the client out here with 6-10 reps to failure. With machines, for example, you can actually teach them good habits such as horizontally pressing and pulling without elevating the shoulder, retraction of the scapula, etc.. From what I have seen, translating from using machines in the 15-20 repetition range in those initial weeks to free weights 4-6 weeks in produces pretty good results compared to jumping right into bodyweight and free weights. Very simple exercises with bands and floor exercises involving tubing is usually okay also.
    NSCA CSCS
    ACSM CPT
    NASM CPT
    BS Kinesiology

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by timperry View Post
    how do you guys deal with obese clients

They seem to be the most difficult to deal with.
    Everything always hurts, feet, ankles, knees, and back due to their weight. They have the most excuses, they flake alot because of the pain. Lots of cancellations, and very emotional. As long as there is obesity, we will always be in demand, but they are so difficult to deal with. Their laziness got them to their current weight, and it's very hard to get them to change their eating habits and get them moving around, because they are so use to being lazy. They workout,a nd complain because it's hard and everything starts hurting, but no pain no gain. They then go to mcdonalds when they are done and blow the workout

I just got back from rite-aide, and i just busted my current client walking into mcd's, after her workout. No wonder she aint lost a lb in 4 weeks
    I know this is going to sound biased, but I've looked to stear clear of the obese population -

There's a rule in consulting that you only work with the type of people that you find rewarding and enjoy working with - they then attract more of the same type of people, and you soon have a roster of ideal clients -

While it's sounds selfish to be picky or crazy to turn a way business, you've just got put yourself first - what type of clients do you find challenging to work with, and that you enjoy spending your time with?

I will take on the occasional obese client, but it's usually through a referral and is someone I've gotten to know - I have to make sure they're bring the same positive energy and commitment to the table that I am - I have two obese clients now and am really enjoying working with them -

Training isn't a job to me that you just show up and suffer through - my clients are usually people that I have a lot in common with, look up to in certain areas, and some have become very good friends of mine that I spend my "off" time with as well - I think this is the type of synergy every trainer should be going for when you go independent -

If you're working in a gym I realize that you can't really turn people away - my suggestion is you get a specialized knowledge base, and let your fitness manager know about it - let him know that you specialize in the active population, and hopefully he'll send more of these advanced cases to you, and send raw beginners to other trainers -

You can see my client's here - http://gohardfitness.com/ - some head shots on the home page, and some more under testimonials -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I never had a problem with them, ever. These were among my most devoted and loyal base. There was no weight "type" that were my favorites, but I think the absurd generalizations I see here is of no use to a trainer...
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by EMISGOD View Post
    I never had a problem with them, ever. These were among my most devoted and loyal base. There was no weight "type" that were my favorites, but I think the absurd generalizations I see here is of no use to a trainer...
    Point taken - to each their own -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

Mod Hated My Prev Title b.spencer's Avatar
    b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000) b.spencer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you want some perspective on the obese client side of things (and someone who is making the transition to training) --

Dealing with the active population is easy. They already know the benefits of working out. The motivation to work hard and stick to a program is already there. Working with the obese is where you find out just how good of a trainer you really are, because it isn't easy.

You will find some obese clients, like I was, who are motivated from the first day. I never plateaued more than 2 weeks, and that plateau was 2 pounds lost instead of 5. A challenge drove me harder. Most obese clients will not be that way. Some will work their ass off for years and never get to what you would call a healthy weight. But, they are there and working (That's a huge victory).

Then, there are the rest. They will start with a bit of determination, perhaps, but when the natural soreness kicks in, or they realize just how long this will take, they get demoralized. They see programs like "The Biggest Loser" on television, and expect that to happen with 2 sessions a week. When it doesn't, they chalk it up to failure and decide it isn't worth it.

As the trainer of an obese person, you are not just working on helping a client build a body for whatever purpose, you have to rebuild a psyche that's enslaved to food. You have to prove to them that the pain is worth it, and that with time it will lessen. You have to be an addiction counselor as much as a PT. (Don't forget that. They are drug addicts, and you must approach them from that perspective.) Some people just don't have the ability to train people that take so much more time, hand holding/twisting, whatever. Some psychologists cant work with drug addicts. Sometimes you have to be brave enough to do an intervention and whatever happens happens.

There will be a lot of frustration on your end. But, there is a lot on theirs as well. Only they respond like any addict does who encounters frustration; they get their fix. But, when you change one or two as radically as I have, it makes it all worth it. Take it from someone who has been on both ends that it can happen. How much? I am now my first PT's regular workout partner, LOL.
    "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They'll race behind you. They will stumble; they will fall. But, in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders." Jor-El
    ---
    Kris Gethin's Body By Design, pg. 43/44 (Yes, that s me)

Originally Posted by Commonpremier21 View Post
    well we're not talking about maxing the client out here with 6-10 reps to failure. With machines, for example, you can actually teach them good habits such as horizontally pressing and pulling without elevating the shoulder, retraction of the scapula, etc.. From what I have seen, translating from using machines in the 15-20 repetition range in those initial weeks to free weights 4-6 weeks in produces pretty good results compared to jumping right into bodyweight and free weights. Very simple exercises with bands and floor exercises involving tubing is usually okay also.
    I disagree, but that's life.
    RKC Instructor
    ---
    Turkish Get Up- 100 lbs.
    Pistol- 40 kg.
    ---

www.averagetoelite.com

jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdmalm123 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Simple...have a strict pay-in-advance and no refunds policy...that minimizes no-shows or gets non-committed clients out of your schedule so you can recruit a more serious client

as for workouts, if they are consistent, consider BW isometric workouts...proper static holds are very challenging, work the muscles, raise the heart rate and use their BW to your advantage while minimizing stress on joints...
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    Simple...have a strict pay-in-advance and no refunds policy...that minimizes no-shows or gets non-committed clients out of your schedule so you can recruit a more serious client

i do thi from the very start. You need to prequalify clients early in the piece otherwise you'll be dealing with them cancelling early in the morning, not getting results, badmouthing your training as you didnt give them results.

Sometimes its better to wait for ideal clients than getting messed around by what i call "fell good clients" (they feel good about themselves as they have a trainer but dont really commit to it)

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mydamnself View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to have a pretty poor attitude about this type of client. If you're putting off this much negative energy, believe me, they're picking it up even if you think you're not overtly doing anything to communicate it.
    Amen to that !!
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

2 Cents

Some thoughts from the formerly "obese client" view (feel free to check out my Profile for more on that):

- As stated earlier, many obese people were once not only trim but also active & athletic. That attitude/spirit is still very much alive & trapped under years (in my case it was decades) of accumulated, apathetic fat. Find out if they did sports (especially a team sport) in high school, etc. Were they good? Help that person unleash that athlete again.
    - Many people thrive in a structured, scheduled lifestyle. Others no so much. Being in a 12 week program was the spark I needed to get it going again.
    - I'll agree with the pre-pay/no refund/charge idea. I'll be damned if I was going to miss a class that I had already paid for.
    - Many people may have had a traumatic event bring this on. I was just lazy & let myself go, but an AMAZING sports nutritionist I work with (I am sooooooooo lucky to have found her!) mentioned that many abuse survivors purposely gained weight to make themselves unappealing to the abuser. The sad part is that when they lose weight a lot of the subconscious traumas come back. Its not pretty.
    - Finally, you have a chance to be a hero to someone. 3 great PTs gave me my life back. Actually, they closed the chapter on one & have given me a blank piece of canvas to work with. It literally was a life altering transformation, and I am eternally grateful. And not only a hero to them, but to their spouse, their kids, unborn grandchildren who will benefit from years with that person you helped.

Lastly, its not uncommon for those who did go thru transformations to themselves become PTs. I am taking the plunge, as is my BB Friend b.spencer. So your efforts become part of a chain and may touch who knows how many other lives as a result? Your efforts to help that one person RTFP may literally impact the lives of 100s, if not 1000s, of people you will never meet or know.

I thank all of you for what you do. Please keep these in mind the next time a client who is close to 1/2 fat contacts you for help.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"