Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool DD's Journey: Kelei's Intermediate/Advanced Workout

Hi everyone,

I am not very used to posting on forums, but I will do my best to blend in.

In this thread, I will attempt to log my progression in Kelei's Intermediate/Advanced Workout.

Background

I just turned 21 years old and I have been working out for about 4 years. To be honest, it must have been 5 years, but my first year was not serious enough to be worth talking about. I always have been skinny and I wanted to pack on some muscle.

I've went through different programs mostly aimed at hypertrophy. As time passed I realised I was more interested in bodybuilding than weight lifting. I kept on training and got more serious every day.

I kept logs of previous trainings on paper and now I want to try and keep an online log of my progression. Also, I realized that there is a huge community here and people seem to be very helpful to each other. I am looking forward to get your comments and advice on my progress.

Actual

In fact, I started this program 3 weeks ago roughly, but I had not taken any pictures of my progress. Therefore, I will include the weights used for these workouts, but the starting pictures are 3 weeks in. This should not change much to the overall picture as I am planning to keep this routine over long term. You can find details on the routine in the training section of the forum, it is called Intermediate/Advanced Routine, a sticky!

The Routine

Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    D1 - Chest, front/side delts, triceps
    D2 - Upper back, rear delts, biceps
    D3 - Legs, lower back
    D4 - Repeat D1
    D5 - Repeat D2
    D6 - Repeat D3
    D7 - Rest

D1 - Bench press, incline bench press, rope pressdowns, overhead dumbbell extensions (single arm), dumbbell side laterals
    D2 - Chin-ups, pull-ups, chest-supported rows (or seated rows), rear delt flyes, preacher curls
    D3 - Romanian deadlifts, front squats, leg curls, leg extensions, standing calf raises, seated calf raises

For each exercise pick a weight that you can lift for a maximum of 10 reps (15 for standing calf raises, 20 for seated calf raises). You need to complete 50 (75 for standing calf raises, 100 for seated calf raises) total reps of each exercise. You perform your first set of each exercise as normal but you only rest for 30 seconds between each set (if you can even call them proper sets). You perform as many sets as it takes until you complete your 50 total reps. Obviously you won't be able to complete 10 reps in each set but it doesn't matter, this is how it's supposed to be. Perform as many reps as you can after each 30 second rest period (try to stop 1 rep short of failure, if you'll fail to perform 6 reps you should stop after rep 5). An example below.

Set 1 = 10 reps
    Rest 30 seconds
    Set 2 = 5 reps
    Rest 30 seconds
    Set 3 = 3 reps
    Rest 30 seconds
    Set 4 = 3 reps
    Rest 30 seconds
    Set 5 = 3 reps

You've complete 24 reps so far, keep going until you've completed 50. This is just an example, the number of reps you get in reality may be different but the principle remains the same. Have a longer rest between different exercises so that you're not too fatigued from the previous exercise. Once you notice that a particular exercise is starting to feel easy (you're getting more reps in general) you need to add some more weight the next time you perform that exercise.

You're going to need to use a training journal or some other method of tracking your progress, you need to record the amount of weight you use for each exercise and as soon as you notice a particular exercise starting to get easy you need to make a note so that you remind yourself to add more weight on that exercise next workout.

You may feel absolutely terrible at first because this is likely going to be a drastic increase over your usual training volume but this will pass, you need to have some faith in the routine, in the long term it will more than compensate you for your hard work and perseverance.

I should also add that it's a good idea to increase your carbohydrate intake while performing this routine, it's quite demanding on your glycogen stores. Don't just add any carbohydrate, sugars aren't very effective at replenishing muscle glycogen because only 50% of sugar can be used to replenish muscle glycogen, the other 50% can only replenish liver glycogen (and then get converted to fat when the liver's glycogen stores are full). You need complex carbohydrates for this purpose, I suggest white rice or pasta. I would suggest adding 1 full cup (uncooked) of white rice to your diet each day and I suggest that you should eat half of it before your workout and the other half after your workout, if this isn't possible I suggest you simply eat the full amount after your workout.

If there are any questions I'll do my best to answer them. If you decide to give this routine a try feel free to report back to this thread as you go along and let me know how you're going or to ask for advice if there are any issues.

Starting Photos (3 weeks in)

As you can see, I am not very good at posing, but I hope to get better ! If possible, I would like to enter a natural competition in my area, just for fun !

For reference, I am about 5'8 and on these photos, I weigh 150 pounds. I am not sure of my bodyfat percentage.

Weight Log

Alright, the routine is divided in three days - D1, D2, D3 - so I will be using these acronyms. I will only update the change of weights with the dates. For the first three weeks, I changed my weights a lot while trying to get my 10 Rep Max, I will not be giving the days at which I increased the weights. From the beginning, I went all the way to 50 reps. I did some workouts with a lot of volume before, so this was not alien to me. It wasn't easy, but I could take it.

D1
    Note: The weights were kept the same during the workouts, the comma stands for a different workout.

Bench Press -> 135, 155, 165, 175

Incline BP -> 95, 105, 115, 125

Rope Pressdowns -> 45, 50, Machine Switch, 125, 135

1-Arm Overhead DB Extensions -> 20, 25, 30 ,35

DB Side Laterals -> 20, 25, 25, 30
    D2
    Chin ups -> BW, BW, BW+10, BW+15

Pull ups -> BW, BW, BW, BW+10

Chest Supported Rows -> 90, 105, 120, 130

Rear Delt Flyes (DB) -> 12, 15, 20 , 25

Preacher Curls -> 75, 80, 85, 85
    D3
    RDL -> 135, 155, 165, 175 (I am lacking grip strength so I started lighter and I will build my way up without straps)

Front Squats -> 135, 135, 145, 155 (Still working on proper form. I going deep, but the movement doesn't feel natural yet)

Leg Curls -> 105, 110, 115, 120

Leg Extensions -> 105, 120, 130, 140

Standing Calves Raises -> 200, 220, 240, 260 (I feel like my form is not nearly as perfect as I want so I will drop the weight a bit and perform the movement better)

Seated Calve Raises -> 70, 75, 75 , 75 (Similar comment as standing raises)
    I believe some workouts are missing in that three weeks period (1 or 2). I did those workouts, but my paper log is so messy that I have trouble understanding when I actually increased the weights. Let's assume that these increase were done over a period of three weeks. Also, I will be changing the Rear Delt Flyes exercises to do it on the machine instead. I feel like I am cheating with the weights.

Hopefully I will be updating this regularly. If you have any questions/comments, feel free to leave a message !
    Last edited by ddoyon92; 05-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.

ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ddoyon92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Supplementation page

As of May 29th, 2013

- AllMax's AllWhey
    - Nutrabolics' Anabolic State (BCAA)
    - Magnum's BIG C (Creatine blend)

davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) davo26 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    subbed :-)
    Kelei routine log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148907233

First Impressions

This is a very interesting routine, very different from what is done conventionally. It definitely requires a period of adaptation. The first two weeks were coupled with extreme soreness. I have had pretty intense DOMs before, but the worst ever happened with this routine, in my calves.

I trained my calves before, I am not new to soreness in that area either. On the other end, many elements might have caused such soreness. I was working using a 5X5 Routine for the past few months and it heavily relied on compound movement and did not involve calves isolation movements. Let's put it this way, it had been a couple months I had trained calves directly. Well, we often say that the first two days are the worst... Well I can tell horrible stories for the 3rd and 4th also. Pretty Good Workout.

At the beginning of the first two weeks, I was trying to get the weights right. I am pretty sure I took less weight than necessary because I knew the volume was very high. It took me about 1-2 weeks to find my 10 rep max for every exercises. It had been a while I had so much fun at the gym. I am getting more comfortable with some of the exercises I hadn't done for a while, like Front Squats and RDLs.

I realized through this routine that many times, it is not really your body that gives up first, but your mind. If you can push through the pain (the good one!), you will be impressed to see what kind of volume can be achieved. I am really curious to see changes associated with such a high volume routine. I will be doing D1 again tonight and will update the thread when I come back.

The real log starts now.

D1: May 30th, 2013

I just finished my post-workout shake and took my creatine pills. Time to write my report.

Bench Press: 175X11

I feel that I am using the right weight, but around rep 35, its getting harder to complete 3 full reps, I'm falling at 2 reps per set, sometimes pulling three. I tried taking a longer rest ( roughly 45 sec ), but it doesn't work. I'll keep on going with my 2 reps set for the moment. The weight stays the same for now.

Incline Bench Press: 135X12

Well, the message is clear, I should be increasing the weight next time. I will be increasing to 145. I do not think adding 2.5 lb plates on each side would change much... On the down side, around 35 reps, I cannot pull sets of much more than 2 reps. The situation is similar as for the regular bench press. I must admit that I panicked a bit around rep 45, it was my third rep on the set and it wasn't moving up anymore. I sort of stuck halfway through the rep. I finally manage to push myself a bit more and complete the rep. That's a good thing because people around me did not seem to care at all. They must've been in a really profound conversation...at the gym.

Rope Pressdowns: 135X10

I performed the exercise with one leg in front and a slight lean forward. I took very short breaks. It looks like my triceps do not require a long break. At most it was 10-15 seconds. Towards the end it was between 20-30 seconds. My goal would be to be able to open the rope more at the bottom of the movement, that would give a better contraction in the triceps. The weight stays the same.

Overhead Extensions: 30X12

It went better than expected. I will be going up to 32.5 next time. Luckily my gym has those ! I don't have to jump to 35 directly. I believe that the triceps are one of my good body parts. For instance, in past routines, I could do dips with 50 kg attached for reps. Definitely one of my strong body parts.

Lateral Raises: 25X11

The weight is good. This time, I performed the movement without bringing the dumbell all the way down, but stopping halfway through. It is MUCH more effective in involving the shoulders and prevents cheating. I picked that advice up from Kelei on Intermediate/Advanced Routine thread. Thanks buddy !

End Notes

If anyone reads this, I am curious to see what you put in your shake to have more calories in it! Today, I put a cup of oats (360 cals), the whey (120 cals), 250 ml of orange juice (120 cals) and some milk. It tastes like a orange popsicle with vanilla ice cream inside... pretty good. Too bad the oats gives such a bad texture to it.

If anyone has inputs, I'd be glad to hear.

D2: May 31st, 2013

Pull-Ups: (BW+15)X9

Chin-ups: (BW+10)X10

Chest-Supported Rows: 130X12

Increase to 135 next workout.

Rear-Delt Flyes: 90X12

Increase to 95 next workout.

Preacher Curls: 85X12

Increase to 90 next workout.

D3: June 1st, 2013

RDLs: 185X10

Front Squat: 135X10 (below parallel)

Leg Curls: 100X125

Increase to 105 next workout.

Leg Extension: 135X12

Increase to 140 next workout.

Standing Calve Raises: 220X15

Seated Calve Raises 45X24

Increase to 55 next workout.

Registered User wishitcouldlast's Avatar
    wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000) wishitcouldlast is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh wow, really good journal bro! super informal and showing exactly what you want. Subbed man, best of luck.
    I know nothing factual but only tell the truth

Thanks man! I'll try to update it properly... still not used to virtual logs! I'm kinda old-fashioned with my pencil and paper at the gym ! Take care.

Nutrition: A Honest Saturday (Leg Day)

The following information was taken for Saturday, June 1st 2013. It approximates my calories consumption for this day and includes everything I ate or drink today (except water). I try to be as honest as possible to make sure I am close to my goal. I am currently trying to go from 150 to a 155. At 155, I will lower my bf as much as possible while keeping the same weight. I would like to enter a natural competition in the fall and the category I aim for is 155 lbs and lower. Therefore, I will try to look as ripped as possible while being as close as possible to 155 lbs.

Well, I will not do this every day as it takes ages to put together and keep track of online. But this gives me a good idea of my daily consumption.

Alright, here's the info:

Break Fast

I must note that I allow myself to eat a breakfast that has a bit more calories than usual when I train legs. I usually eat at the restaurant with my family on Saturday morning.

2 EGGS POACHED = 142 cals
    2 Coffee with Milk+Sugar= 38 cals
    1 English Muffin = 120 cals
    Water melon slices = 46 cals
    1 Slice of Pineapple = 27 cals
    ½ Cup Hollandaise Sauce = 500 cals

Sub Total = 873 cals

Lunch
    3 Hot-Dogs (Ketchup Mustard) = 852

Sub Total = 852 Calories

Pre-Workout
    Creatine pills = Not significant
    BCAAs = 4 calories
    1-MR = 6 calories

Sub Total = 10 calories

Post-Workout
    Creatine pills = Not significant
    1 Cup of Oats = 360 Cals
    1 Cups orange juice = 112 cals
    1 Cup 1% Milk = 118 cals
    1 Scoop Whey = 120 cals

Sub Total = 710 Cals

Diner
    1 Glass of Rhum = 70 cals
    Cooked Asparagus = 22 cals
    Cooked Potato = 128 cals
    Chicken Piece = 200 cals
    Glass of Wine = 74 cals

Sub Total = 494 cals

Snack 1
    Yogourt = 220 cals
    2/3 Cup of Granola Cereals = 210 cals

Sub Total = 430 cals

Snack 2
    Cereals = 220 cals
    2/3 Cup 1% Milk = 90 cals

Sub Total = 310 cals

Total = 3679 Calories

I believe this is a good amount for me while I am bulking to 155 pounds. If anyone has an input, feel free to express yourself. I am aware that this is far from an ideal nutrition, but I'm slacking off a bit on week-ends. Saturday is sort of a cheat day for me. I'm being more strict during the week.

D1: June 2nd, 2013

Bench Press: 175X11

It went much better than last time in terms of getting the right rest-pause time between sets to keep 3 rep-max sets. I don't use a timer anymore, I mostly go by feel.

Incline Bench Press: 145X10

I had increased by 10 pounds since last workout. The first set went well. It mostly went smoothly, except some reps where I lowered the bar too close or too far to my neck, unbalancing me and resulting in a more difficult rep targeting other body parts.

Rope Pressdowns: 135X12

Time to bring the weight up ! The exercise was done with one leg in front of the other and a slight lean forward. I tried to pause and squeeze my triceps at the bottom of the motion. Felt good.

Overhead Extensions: 35X10 (Left & Right)

This is definitely the right weight. It was a bit more difficult on the left side because I have an old injury and it was pulling slightly. Overall it went pretty well, I was staying in the 3 rep range, except for last couple sets where I was only able to complete two at a time. It was getting harder to bring the dumbbell up above my head from sets to sets.

Lateral Raises: 25X10

I have one rep below my last performance, but I changed the way I did the exercise by not going back down completely. I would leave somewhere between 15 and 30 degrees between my trunk and my arms instead of going all the way down. It makes the exercise a lot more effective and prevents cheating. At some point it hurt so bad (in a good way) that I basically burst out laughing because I knew that although I had 20 more reps to perform, I somewhere had the energy to complete them. It was more mind exhausting than anything else.

RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000) RingDips is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Repped and subbed. Interested enough in this routine to consider running in within the next few weeks. Now that you've been following the routine for some time, how long does it typically take you to perform each workout? Is there a significant time difference between d1, d2, and d3?

Originally Posted by ddoyon92 View Post
    If anyone reads this, I am curious to see what you put in your shake to have more calories in it! Today, I put a cup of oats (360 cals), the whey (120 cals), 250 ml of orange juice (120 cals) and some milk. It tastes like a orange popsicle with vanilla ice cream inside... pretty good. Too bad the oats gives such a bad texture to it.

If anyone has inputs, I'd be glad to hear.
    If it were me, I'd drop the OJ for a banana and a healthy glob of peanut butter, which is one of the most calorie-dense foods around. You could leave the OJ in, of course, but I'm not sure your taste buds would thank you for that.
    *Nationalist Crew*
    *Eternal Winter Crew*
    *No Supps Crew*
    *9% Bodyfat + Facial Aesthetics Crew*
    *Indo-European Heathenry Crew*

Originally Posted by RingDips View Post
    Repped and subbed. Interested enough in this routine to consider running in within the next few weeks. Now that you've been following the routine for some time, how long does it typically take you to perform each workout? Is there a significant time difference between d1, d2, and d3?
    Interestingly, the first few workouts were shorter. It seems I had not my true 10 rep-max or I was taking breaks that were too long, or a combination of both. This would cause my sets to look like :

10-7-6-4-3-3-3-3.... 2-2 until 50.

Normally it should look like:

10-3-3.....maybe 2's in there until 20. It adds many more sets.

For the first couple workouts, it was about an hour in length. Then, as I got comfortable with the workout and used proper weights, the time went up a bit. It usually takes me between 1:15-1:30 per workout. Legs' a bit longer since it has more exercises. It's definitely a pretty long routine, but these times include a 5 minutes break between the exercises, to start "fresh". Which would account for approximately 20 minutes per workout.

Overall D1 and D2 would be more around 1:15 while D3 be more around 1:30. Give or take 10 minutes depending on the breaks or numerous events that can happen at the gym.

D2: June 3rd, 2013

Pull-Ups: (BW+15)X10

Chin-ups: (BW+15)X11

Chest-Supported Rows: 135X10

Rear-Delt Flyes (Machine): 95X15

Increase to 100 next workout.

Preacher Curls (Machine): 90X12

Increase to 95 next workout.

Current Weight (8:30 PM) : 152 lbs

I decided today that I will record my sleeping time as part of my log. I want to assess the effect of sleep to my performance at the gym. I will also account for the fact that I sometime use pre-workout shakes. After a while, I will come up with graphs and try to see the effects of sleep on my performance. I might be able to find my personnal ideal sleeping time. If possible I will also try to assess the difference between taking a pre-workout shake vs. not taking one on my personnal performance.

D3: June 4th, 2013

Bodyweight: 153 lb (9:30 PM)

Sleep time last night : 9 hours

RDLs: 185X12

Increase to 195 next workout.

Front Squat: 135X10 (below parallel) *Might have been able to pull 11...

Leg Curls: 105X12

Increase to 110 next workout.

Leg Extension: 140X13

Increase to 145 next workout.

Standing Calve Raises: 220X18

Increase to 240 next workout.

Seated Calve Raises 55X20

Originally Posted by RingDips View Post
    If it were me, I'd drop the OJ for a banana and a healthy glob of peanut butter, which is one of the most calorie-dense foods around. You could leave the OJ in, of course, but I'm not sure your taste buds would thank you for that.
    I tried that. I must say it was pretty damn good! I forgot to put my oats in tho... Anyway, it tastes awesome. I will alternate between this and the one with orange juice, which tastes pretty good as well.

Yesterday was my day off. And here I go again for another 6 days ! I think it's time to change my music playlist. I will be modified this message with my music playlist when I have more time.

D1: June 6th, 2013

Bench Press: 175X12

Went very well, I will increase the weight to 185 lbs next workout.

Rope Pressdowns: 140X10

Overhead Extensions: 35X10

Last edited by ddoyon92; 06-08-2013 at 06:56 PM.

D2: June 7rd, 2013

Pull-Ups: (BW+15)X11

Chin-ups: (BW+15)X12

Increase to BW+20 next workout.

Chest-Supported Rows: 135X10

Rear-Delt Flyes (Machine): 100X12

Increase to 105 next workout.

Preacher Curls (Machine): 95X10

Sleep Time Night Before : 8 Hours

Current Weight (6 PM) : 152 lbs

D3: June 8th, 2013

Bodyweight: 153 lb (9:30 PM)

Sleep time last night : 9 hours

RDLs: 195X10

Front Squat: 135X10

Leg Curls: 110X12

Increase to 115 next workout.

Leg Extension: 145X10

Standing Calve Raises: 240X15

Seated Calve Raises 55X20

D1: June 9th, 2013

Bench Press: 185X10

That was tough, but rather unexpected. I was able to perform 10 reps in the first set, which tells me that the weight is right. I am touching my lower pecs/upper abs region on every rep. I could probably use more weight if I was bringing my arms at a 90 degrees, but I prefer to touch my chest. My only option to reduce my range of motion is to build a big *ss chest.

Again, touching chest. It gives me a better stretch. I try not to lock-out at the end of the movement as it takes tension of the muscles.

Rope Pressdowns: 145X10

I was supposed to use 140, but I made a mistake and put 145...well, it seems I am going to stick with that weight. Also, I am doing in with one leg in front of the other, it is more stable and I can get a better stretch with the rope since my legs are not in the way.

Overhead Extensions: 35X10

My left triceps are not as strong as my right, hence they are the limiting factor since I perform both arms separately. The movement feels good but as I get tired, I feel less and less the triceps. When doing the pressdowns, I can see the triceps a lot, but at the end of my overhead extensions, it seems like the back of my arms thicken and I don't see the triceps' shape as much.

Weight is good. I have not progressed much in this exercise because I changed the way I did it. Instead of going all the way down, I stop at roughly 75% of the way down, take a short pause and go back up. It makes the exercise a lot tougher and I feel it a lot more in my delts. Burn baby burn...

End Notes

I don't put details every workout, due to time constraints. On the other hand, I am using an excel sheet to log other details such as my weight, my hours of sleep the night before and so on. Once I have enough data, I will make some graphs of my progress in every exercises and post an analysis of my progress, let's say every 3 months.

I am now one week and a half from deloading. I will go in a deload for two weeks then come back to the workout. I will stay at 50 reps for a while due to time constraints. Therefore, I will not change the volume, but will keep increasing the weight.
    Last edited by ddoyon92; 06-09-2013 at 05:30 PM.

D2: June 10th, 2013

Pull-Ups: (BW+15)X12

Increase the weight next workout to BW+20.

Chin-ups: (BW+20)X10

Chest-Supported Rows: 135X12

Increase the weight to 140 next workout.

Rear-Delt Flyes (Machine): 105X12

Increase to 110 next workout.

Preacher Curls (Machine): 95X11

Current Weight (6:30 PM, Before Diner) : 152.5 lbs

Hours of sleep last night: 8 Hours, but slept very badly.

Personnal comment

I find the program very challenging once the right weights are used. On the other hand, to be honest, it is very easy to cheat by not pushing yourself to your limits. I can safely say that when you think your done, you have at least two extra reps. The difference between having results or not may be very small. If you let your mind fail before your muscles, you are bound to remain de same.

The workouts are passing by and I have trouble remembering when are my off days. Some time I skip it to be able to use it on a day where I don't feel good. These days, I feel very good every day, I get enough sleep and keep a good nutrition.

Your training takes you as far as your lifestyle allows it.

D3: June 11th, 2013

Bodyweight: 152.5 lb (5:30 PM) (before Diner)

Sleep time last night : 8:30 hours

RDLs: 195X10

I have a lot of trouble with my grip. I am debating whether to use straps or not. I am not worried about my forearm development, in fact it is one of my strong points. I feel like I concentrate too much on not letting the bar slips rather than my hamstrings. I might try to use chalk of gloves, I don't think it is so much about my grip strength but mostly because I have very sweaty hands. Sometimes I am lucky and I train with a bar that has a rougher tread. When this happens, I don't really have trouble holding the bar...I'll try to find the best to this matter.

Front Squat: 135X12

I should increase the weight to 145. The only thing I am afraid of is that it is going to postpone further my grip change. I try to change from crossed-arm grip to a clean grip. I am not comfortable enough with a clean grip to use it, it still hurts my wrist. Further, I have a very sensitive skin and the current grip causes the bar to slip slightly on my shoulder during the exercise. At the end of every workout, my skin is torn in various spots on my shoulder. I tried training with a hoodie, but appart from excessive sweat, it still tears my skin. I hope changing the grip will help. Maybe my deload in two weeks will help my skin recover completely and it will grow stronger... right now it is always brand new skin being torn again and again...

Leg Curls: 115X10

Weight was good, not sure why, but I feel a tension in my back although it is resting against the back of the seat. I will try different adjustments.

Leg Extension: 145X12

I will be increasing the weight to 150. This exercise hurts very much when holding a contracted position at the top of the movement. I do that on every rep.

Standing Calve Raises: 240X18

I will be increasing the weight to 260 for next workout.

Seated Calve Raises 55X24

I will be increasing the weight to 60 for next workout.

End notes

Today's workout was very tough, more than usual. I felt drained of my energy even before starting my first RDL set. Its wierd because I ate properly and slept properly the night before. I tried investigating the source of this problem. Altough I had enough sleep the night before, my night two days ago was very bad. I was in my bed for apprimately 8 hours, but I woke up every hours and had to go pee almost every time. I think I will stop drinking too much before bed. During the training I usually drink somewhere between 1.5 and 2 liters of water approximately. Along with my post-workout shake and other beverages, I have to wake up many times at night. I will try to stop maybe 1-2 hours before bed. Any, back to the subject, I had a bad night two days ago and then a bad workout, not yesterday, but today. If other nights like this happen, I will be able to compare and assess if that is the source of the problem. I will probably do an analysis at 3 months in. That will be part of it.

Tomorrow is my off day. I will have more time to continue my following reading : "Practical Programming for Strength Training".

D1: June 13th, 2013

Bench Press: 185X9

I got one rep less than my previous workout. I am not very proud, but I just couldn't push it further. I feel some pain in my left elbow area. It gets worse during some triceps movements.

Rope Pressdowns: 105X12

I dropped the weight because I realized I wasn't doing the exercise properly. I was leaning forward too much and basically cheating the exercise. I felt my triceps a lot this time. Much more than in previous workouts.

Overhead Extensions: 35X8

My left elbow really hurts during this exercise. I stopped at 30-reps, not because of exhaustion, but to prevent aggravation in the case of an injury. I will be going in deload mode for two weeks soon. I hope this will get better.

As usual, a killer. I am still trying to stop the movement at 75% of my way down. It is really difficult, this is why I haven't improved much in the weight.

Weight: 155 lbs

Hours of sleep last night: Roughly 8. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep. I just can't stop thinking !

Upon investigation, it looks like my Ulnar Nerve is being compressed. This was mostly felt during overhead dumbbell triceps extensions, but not limited to it.

During my incline bench press, at some point, the outer part of my left hand and my pinky went numb. I will try to find an alternative movement to the overhead db triceps extension to prevent the situation from aggravating.

More on this later...

D2: June 10th, 2013

Pull-Ups: (BW+20)X10

Chin-ups: (BW+20)X10

Chest-Supported Rows: 140X10

Rear-Delt Flyes (Machine): 110X12

Increase to 115 next workout.

Preacher Curls (Machine): 95X12

Increase to 100 next workout.

Comments: I was still afraid that my elbow/nerve problem would cause my workout to be useless, but I fact, it was a pretty good workout. The pull-ups triggered some pain in the funny bone area, but nothing really important. I think it was just because I was bending my elbow. I thought I would get pain during preacher curls, but it was fine. Maybe the fact of using a machine helped in preventing that pain.

Current Weight (9:15 PM, Before Diner) : 157.5 lbs

Hours of sleep last night: 8 Hours

D3: June 15th, 2013

Bodyweight: 153 lb (3 PM)

Sleep time last night : 6.5 hours

RDLs: 135X10

I am working on the form and I am trying to adapt to a hook grip before raising the weights again. I think I will buy chalk...my grip fails because my hands are sweaty.

Hack Squat: 1p25X10

I decided to change FS for Hack Squat because I just can't figure out a proper FS grip. I will practice on the side the form for the FS and might go back to it once I am more comfortable. I am still not flexible enough to do a clean grip on FS... That hack squat training was DEADLY. I basically stop right before the machine is at the bottom (ass to the ground) and go back up. It killed my legs!

Leg Curls: 115X12

Increase to 120 next workout.

Leg Extension: 150X12

Increase to 155 next workout.

Standing Calve Raises: 260X15

Seated Calve Raises 65X20

D1: June 16th, 2013

Bench Press: 185X9

Still am one rep below my PR for the exercise. I don't think I am regressing. In fact, I believe that the reason why I had one more rep a week ago might have been more related to the form used rather than strength or nutrition or any other related aspects. I might have completed "not exactly full range of motion" reps. Meaning that I would have stopped 1-2 inch before touching my lower pecs (upper abs) area. That would have given me the extra strength to pull an extra rep at the end of the set.

Still a good weight. I feel like I will have to increase the weight soon, this is going pretty smoothly. I didn't push too far the exercise because of my elbow pain (near the funny bone area). I still felt some numbness in my left hand on the side and in my pinky. More details will be given on this in the workouts log to come.

Rope Pressdowns: 110X12

Feels much better in my triceps when using proper form. My weight was definitely too high and I was using my back and shoulders to bring the weight down rather than the triceps. Increasing to 115 next workout.

Overhead Machine Triceps Extensions: 105X12

It is a lot better than the dumbbell version in the sense that it does not trigger pain in my elbow. I will keep that exercise for a while. Increasing to 110 next workout.

Lateral Raises: 25X12

I finally was able to perform 12 reps on that exercise, while bringing the weight only 75% of the way down. Increasing the weight to 27.5 lbs dumbell next workout - yeah we have those...

Weight: 152 lbs

Hours of sleep last night: 10 Hours...

Notes: I had only 6.5 hours of sleep two days ago, we will see if tomorrow's workout is affected by this. I usually have low energy on the second day following a short night.