ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ACRhino71 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting back in the gym again

Hi gang,

I was a heavy weight lifter until my 30's then life happened, now I'm old (50). I'm 6'4" 275lbs and I look like I used to body build but i have a gut and I'm probably 22-25% body fat.

I want to start back up at the gym but there is no way i'm doing anything crazy like I used to ... 5-day splits, supersets, 400lb full ass in the bucket squats, etc. I'm relatively healthy except for some left wrist thumb tendonitis. My goal is to firm up my muscles, lose fat, and maybe build a little muscle. My availability will only allow me in the gym 3-days a week ... so my plan is to do a 3-day split 4-8 sets per muscle 30-45 min weights, 15 min, core, 30-mintutes cardio. I'm an experienced lifter (20 years ago anyway) and i used to be a certified trainer back in the day (late 90’s) and one of my undergraduates is in fitness (though I've been in IT for 25 years).

Here is my question. I've told you what I’m looking to do above, but how slow should I work up to that? What is your experience when first starting weights again? I was thinking of doing a full body workout each day (3-days a week) comprised of 1-2 sets per body on the machines maybe 10-12 sets total with medium weight 10-12 reps. Then slowly work week by week to increase the weight until I have a weight I can barely do 10 reps in good form with, then increase the weight as I can do more than 10 reps. Maybe add in some dumbbells and other equipment (bar/smith) along the way. I expect this will take a month or two and then I'd start working into the 3-day split. Is this approach too cautious or not cautious enough? I'm not looking to workout like you raw beef eating animals anymore and the 3-day split I’m looking to work up to is probably a joke to some of you who do 30-40 sets per muscle group ... but I’m old ... healthy but old and don't want to hear any snap crackle and pops in my future. The last thing I'd want is to be 2-months into it and injure myself because I moved too quickly.

Diet is another topic but i feel comfortable with my plans for that.

So, any advice from some of you older folks or people that have come back after a decade or more would be helpful.

Thanks.

DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DirtyD79 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd say start out with the full body for a while to get back into it then work your way into the split and add in equipment and more weight along the way. It takes time to get fully back into it if you've been out for a while.
    I'm stronger when I'm drunk!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ACRhino71 View Post
    my plan is to do a 3-day split 4-8 sets per muscle 30-45 min weights, 15 min, core, 30-mintutes cardio.
    This doesn't mean anything without seeing the specifics. It does sound more like cardio than weightlifting though.

Originally Posted by ACRhino71 View Post
    how slow should I work up to that? What is your experience when first starting weights again?
    Again, the specific program details matter, but if you do any type of proper beginner program - which is what you should be doing after a 20-year layoff - you don't need to work up to it at the start. You just do it. There's no need to start out with machines, then add in dbs and so on. Any such program would have gradual progression and suitable volume that won't put you at significant injury risk if you also listen to your body along the way.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are able, hop on a beginner program and listen to your body and perfect form before adding weight, check that old ego at the door The good thing is muscle and strength memory is real, you just need to work on the skill of lifting again (as your body/posture has changed over the years). You also need to be mindful that your joints, tendons, and connective tissues are not as primed as they used to be so even if the muscles are getting strong, you need to listen to those joints too.

I would not go to a machine workout unless I really had to. I would rather you pick up some freeweights (barbells, kettlebells, or dumbbells). You spending a month on leg pressing won't help as much as a month just working with an empty barbell getting your squat form back (obviously you don't need to do that).
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel